• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3370
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
CO Doping - The line between legal, and immoral
« on: March 15, 2013, 15:30 »
Carbon Monoxide Doping

im·mor·al  [ih-mawr-uhl, ih-mor-] adjective
Violating moral principles; not conforming to the patterns of conduct usually accepted or established as consistent with principles of personal and social ethics.

Wiggins prefers the old
fashioned way of getting
carbon monoxide in
the body
This was touched upon last year by bikepure in this article, but it was largely ignored, written off, dismissed as being an internet rumour with little substance to it..

The premise is simple. Carbon Monoxide is inhaled by the athlete in fairly substantial quantities. The CO molecules attach themselves to the red blood cells in the body, and take precedent over the normally blood friendly oxygen molecules.

They starve the blood of oxygen, the body thinks what the hell is going on, sends a message out, more natural EPO is created, the hosts red blood cell count increases perfectly naturally. Within a few hours, more than half the carbon molecules are gone, within 12 hours the carbon monoxide is gone completely, and the body is left with extra red blood cells, extra oxygen carrying ability, natural EPO (in many ways similar to the effects of altitude), no way of detecting it, no plasticers, no epo, no old blood cells floating around in the body.

Yes, the bio passport may notice anomolies, but the aim of CO doping isnt to massively raise the RBC count, just keep it at a nice, constant, unnatural level. And its been around in Triathlon and Ironman for a fair few years now.

Now technically, this would fall under the wada laws covering blood manipulation, or would it. Training at altitude doesnt, sleeping in altitude tents doesnt, so is breathing in a ton of gas illegal, against the rules...? its certainly immoral.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4512
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    And it's not healthy
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 325
    TBH, I don't think it works in practice... I smoke between 10 and 20 a day at the moment, and whilst my fitness is pretty woeful I can't see any benefit from sucking back the ciggies!
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Teams are doing it though.. :S
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    such as...?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Fact ?

Wowsers

I always have the thought  when a rider is interviewed and they say I don't dope , I always want to know what is their definition of doping.

My bet Wada code , and that's the issue of the thread I guess, immoral sure , doping in my mind yes.

I think it is also time we start naming who ? Etc

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 325
    Ethics and morals JSG... it's such an emotive area. Whilst I'd happily have a B-12 injection many would baulk, considering the needle to be 'unethical'... Legalities is where the crux lies... an old pro (winner of MSR) once told me that he would walk up to the line, put his toes on the line, but never ever cross it. Which, if you consider that that statement could mirror usage of, say, testo, then it's a very grey area indeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    such as...?

knowing and proving... two different things..

This was brought to my attention last summer.. have dug and dug and its hard to prove much, theres not even much scientific studies on it and the tri community is fairly hush hush on it

another gas worth investigating is dihydrogen monoxide :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Ethics and morals JSG... it's such an emotive area. Whilst I'd happily have a B-12 injection many would baulk, considering the needle to be 'unethical'... Legalities is where the crux lies... an old pro (winner of MSR) once told me that he would walk up to the line, put his toes on the line, but never ever cross it. Which, if you consider that that statement could mirror usage of, say, testo, then it's a very grey area indeed.

That's the issue who draws the line

WADA, ?

Peers - well that did not work last time.

Yourself, and then we get blurred lines and arms race 2.0

• ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.