collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2050
Working from home
« on: June 08, 2022, 18:53 »
So one of the main consequences of the pandemics two years ago was that companies could afford it were condemned to have their employees work from home.

Two years later we are slowly but surely getting out of the corona crisis - or are we ?. Some employers want their employees back to the workplaces, others let their own working from home. Elon Musk would say "come back or resign".

Personally, working from home saved my life - saved a lot of energy and time - but my company is gradually getting us back to the office. I do consider looking for another job that allows working from home but I don't know if so many companies would allow it when the crisis definitively over. Of course for some job, it's unrealistic to keep the working from home model. Other employees like going back to the office better as they need social interaction or else it's better for concentration. But many don't wish to go back. I personally don't see any reason why the employers would refuse the working from home model, at least in my case. I'm much more productive from home and I don't see why it would cost more than working from the workplace, on the contrary.

I would like to ask you what the situation is in your countries.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 590
    Re: Working from home
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 21:15 »
    Pretty similar Echoes - hybrid working allowed - blend of home to workplace varies from none to 3 or 4 days in office.  Some companies have really embraced it and use hybrid as an option to entice a wider geographical group of workers with diverse skills etc. 

Last two years have taught us that we can be really efficient remotely and that there is little point now in commuting to wear a headset and join zoom meetings all day.  Clearly some meetings are more collaborative and better served face to face - so hopefully hybrid remains the option.

It will be interesting to see where we are by year end.

Good luck with your job and future decision on employer
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2050
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 00:04 »
    Thank you, SK. Your post gives me some hope whatever my own future will be. I'm also on a hybrid system for the moment, 2 days a week, this month. But probably three days a week next month ! They seem to be calling us back to office gradually in order for us to get used to working back in office. That might still change though. Of course I can agree that the hybrid model is necessary, back to office sort of once week is necessary for a briefing of some sort, depending on what your job is. But full time office working is really obsolete in my opinion, if you are a back office employee like me.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7954
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 12:26 »
    But full time office working is really obsolete in my opinion, if you are a back office employee like me.
    Yes, it absolutely is!
    Has been obsolete for some time, really, we just hadn't noticed yet.

But since there is so very much money tied down in business rentals - both by the businesses who rent the offices, and even more so by the owners of the buildings - I'm afraid that many companies will want a return to the central office, for no other reason than that they pay a lot of money to rent it ... and that (especially middle) management needs someone to supervise. Now that most people have found out they are just as, if not more, effective and efficient when working from home without direct supervision, many middle management positions would simply become superfluous if that were allowed to carry on. And we can't have that. ;)

In the years to come, companies who embrace "remote-first" or hybrid models will have a huge advantage over those that insist on the old office structure when it comes to attracting their workforce.

Best wishes with your job search!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4269
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 00:36 »
    I would like to ask you what the situation is in your countries.

Where I live, the insurance industry is one of the biggest employers, and I know many people who work in the world, as well as in the banking/financial industry. Most of the ones I've spoken to about it are now back to a two-day-a-week-in-the-office hybrid schedule, although many of them would prefer not to go into the office at all anymore.

I think the pandemic and the lock downs really opened people's eyes up to the absurdity of what is an entirely unnecessary waste of both time and money when it comes to commuting back and forth from home to work. Obviously some jobs will absolutely require this, but it when it comes to the typical office environment, it's becoming more and more difficult for large companies to justify this any longer.

I suspect that the next generation of the corporate workforce will be more committed to resisting such long-standing traditions, and if they stick together on that, I think they'll be able to force the hand of many companies that would otherwise prefer to return to the old ways.

Those who work directly for the State have been given even more latitude. Only a few months ago, the State of Connecticut agreed to allow its employees to work from home up to four days a week. However, this is going to have grave repercussions for many of the small businesses in the capitol city of Hartford, as they depend heavily upon the daily influx of state employees to keep restaurants and bars active. Hartford, CT has always suffered from the fact that very few people actually live in the downtown area, so even under normal circumstances the city would be virtually dead outside of normal business hours. Drive through the area on any given Sunday afternoon or normal workday evening, and you'd be forgiven for thinking that the city had been abandoned. And that was the case before the pandemic. Now? I can't even imagine how grim the scene is.

I'm sure most cities have will have similar struggles, but our capitol is particular vulnerable to such changes, and the results of this new way of doing things may prove to be devastating to those independent business owners. And if they close up shop, I've no idea what's going to replace them. We may have to entirely re-think the idea of what a city even is, or what it should be. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to an entirely new perspective.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7954
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 08:44 »
    We may have to entirely re-think the idea of what a city even is, or what it should be. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to an entirely new perspective.
    The idea of what a car-centric North American city is, that is: Lots of commuting, everybody living in sprawling car-dependent suburbs, no real life downtown.

It's no surprise that that kind of cityscape is turning out to be unsustainable.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [Today at 07:01]

Re: Circuit franco-belge by Leadbelly
    [August 10, 2022, 19:24]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [August 10, 2022, 13:57]

Circuit franco-belge by Echoes
    [August 10, 2022, 12:56]

Re: Roadbooks by FastJack