collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2127
French-Canadian Races : Quebec and Montreal Cycling GP
« on: September 08, 2022, 13:13 »

The two French-Canadian Races, "Grand Prix cycliste de Québec" and "Grand Prix cycliste de Montréal" are back after two cancellations due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The routes haven't changed, the climbs haven't changed.

The Quebec GP still revolves around the Plains of Abraham where in 1759, the Marquess of Montcalm lost a decisive battle to James Wolfe, which eventually facilitate the conquest of the French American colony by Britain.

The Côte Gilmour which the riders are climbing down are, if I'm not mistaken, the climb that Wolfe's soldiers, climbed up three centuries ago.

The Montreal GP still uses the same route as the 1974 World Championship in which Eddy Merckx outsprinted the late Raymond Poulidor, then aged 38, with the Côte de Camilien Houde and Côte de Polytechnique. Only the finish was not on the same spot.

Quebec startlist : https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gp-quebec/2022/result/startlist/startlist
Montreal startlist : https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gp-montreal/2022/result/startlist

Both races are at least covered by Eurosport2. Quebec live coverage starts at 7pm and Montreal coverage at 9pm

I don't know about the weather conditions over there in Canada.  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Wout van Aert will race both races for the first time. In 2019 he was racing his first season with Jumbo Visma but he skipped those events.

I don't what really happened with his flight but it had a one-hour delay and then a stopover in Brest, Brittany. So it took him 10 hours overall to cross the ocean. It's gonna be his two last races before the Worlds.

He watched a bit of the Tour of Spain while in Brest, was impressed by Remco Evenepoel's performances but disappointed for teammate Primoz Roglic.

https://www.7sur7.be/cyclisme/wout-van-aert-apres-un-periple-rocambolesque-vers-le-canada-evenepoel-merite-de-gagner-la-vuelta~ac0bd16d/
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 19:05 by Echoes »

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4256
    • Awards: 2021 CQ Vuelta Game winner2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    The whole of Montreal is live on GCN and the Eurosport player.
    15-45CET.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9815
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://twitter.com/nieuwsbladsport/status/1567785455332229122

No Timmy Wellens for Lotto. Heart palpitations.

That's a real blow for their hopes of avoiding relegation as he's historically done well in both races.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    The whole of Montreal is live on GCN and the Eurosport player.
    15-45CET.

Nice. The info that I had comes from velo-club.net but I question it, though. 9pm (sorry I forgot to say it was CET) is late for coverage start.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    No Timmy Wellens for Lotto. Heart palpitations.

That's a real blow for their hopes of avoiding relegation as he's historically done well in both races.

Hope first that he's all right. It would be sad for him to brutally end his career but if he needs to, life matters more than cycling and I'd wish he just stop.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4256
    • Awards: 2021 CQ Vuelta Game winner2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Just been checking the Eurosport player schedule for today and I find that Quebec also has full race coverage, starting at 16-30CET.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Nice victory for Benoit Cosnefroy ! I don't really remember when a rider last held off the sprinting peloton in Quebec, was it Uran in 2015 ?

Wout van Aert admitted that when Cosnefroy attacked, it was all over. He was very strong. At Jumbo Visma they were hoping for other teams to help out but in vain, he says. In the sprint, you have to make your effort at the right moment. Many sprinters were still strong. Wout was disappointed for his teammates who had worked a lot. He loves racing in Canada and is looking forward to racing in Montreal tomorrow.     
    https://www.lesoir.be/464599/article/2022-09-09/wout-van-aert-4e-du-gp-de-quebec-decu-du-resultat-apres-un-superbe-travail

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Search and I were briefly discussing it in the race chat as I couldn't remember anyone attacking successfully from the bottom of the hill (from the peloton) for the win. He suggested Uran as a possibility, but when I checked it on Youtube he attacked from ~750m or something like that.

Not sure about earlier editions.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://twitter.com/raykerckhoffs/status/1569355897427599361

The double header could become a triple header. Lappartient has given the organizers the nod to create a third one day WT race.

Quote from: Arsenault Jr.
    I would prefer to organize a third race in the province of Québec in addition to the races in the cities of Québec and Montréal. On the other hand, Ottowa, for example, would also be a possibility. I want to stay within Canada and not immediately look at the United States like my father.

The article also states that Montreal is virtually certain to host the Worlds in 2026.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    I'd be curious as to which city could host that third race, unless they make it a town-to-town race which I doubt as it doesn't seem profitable in North America (?). Ottawa is not in the Quebec province but is partially French-speaking, if I'm not mistaken. However is it possible to find some steep enough climbs around Ottawa ? Quick look on Google Streetview, I'm not so sure about that but I might be wrong. And even in the Quebec province I don't know too many towns that could host a third major race with some climbing around, plus with enough budget to do it. Trois-Rivières ? Percé ? 

By the way with regards to the race, I'm of course disappointed with Van Aert coming second. Nothinig against Pogacar but I loathe the Emirates so much that I'm really disappointed. However Pogacar was surely the best man in the race. On the Mount Royal-Camilien Houde climb, Wout had to fight to stay in the lead group, he came back on the first descending slopes. So probably, in the sprint, the fresher man nailed it, while normally in a sprint I cannot imagine Wout van Aert losing to Tadej Pogacar.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 122
    Ottawa is definitely a possibility though on a technicality since the National Capital Region, of which Ottawa is a part, incorporates other municipalities...... to whit, the actual race venue would be across the river in Hull using a circuit that has been used for racing for decades and has climbing that is not unlike the Montreal circuit ( see below )...the only issue is large scale public access.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/586865/#10.04/45.4372/-75.7941

Would love to see that idea developed into another part of the pro cycling calendar that is presently being played out in Canada.

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:10 by blutto »

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    This story links in with the above I think.

https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/status/1597003585509793794

It's not just a third one-day WT race they're trying to set up. It's not just the World Championships in 2026.

It's the Tour de France Grand Depart in 2030. Four stages "in Montréal and the surroundings of the state of Québec".
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4036
    These guys do long-term planning :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7992
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    These guys do long-term planning :S
    What they don't do (or don't care about), though, is announcing such a once-in-the-history-of-cycling-occasion themselves.
    To me as a communications expert, letting such an announcement leak out via tweets and articles is (to use an analogy *ca will understand) like taking your goalie off the hockey rink with 59 minutes still to play. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Leadbelly
    [January 30, 2023, 20:28]

[January 29, 2023, 09:31]

[January 28, 2023, 16:56]

[January 28, 2023, 10:32]

[January 28, 2023, 10:16]