collapse

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 108
'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10285
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Womens road racing - General news thread
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2012, 06:22 »

Kristin Armstrong's Olympic bikes lost in transit
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristin-armstrongs-olympic-bikes-lost-in-transit

Felt DA Time Trial Bike -
Frameset: Felt DA1 51cm, Custom Kristin Armstrong/USA Paint Scheme
Group: SRAM RED 2012
Cranks: SRAM BB30 w/SRM Powermeter
Chainrings: SRAM TT 54/42
Aerobars: Zipp VukaBull Basebar with Carbon Race Vuka Shift Extensions
TT Shifters: SRAM 900 TT
Shift Cables: Gore Ride-On Ultra Light
Brake Cables: Gore Ride-on
Front Wheel: Zipp 808 Firecrest Tubular
Rear Wheel: Zipp Super-9 Disc Tubular
Tires: Vittoria Crono 22mm
Saddle: fi’zi:k Ares TT Specific
Pedals/Cleats: Speedplay Nanogram Zero (not with stolen bike - only thing that made it back to Boise)
Other:
K-EDGE Pro Chain Catcher
Kristin Armstrong name on top tube

Felt F1 Road Bike -
Frameset: Felt F1 54cm, Custom Kristin Armstrong Paint Scheme
Group: SRAM RED 2012
Cranks: SRAM RED w/SRM Powermeter
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Red GXP Ceramic Bearings
Chainrings: SRAM Red 50/34
Cassette: SRAM RED 2012 11-26T
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm
Bars: Zipp Service Course CSL 42cm
Shift Cables: Gore Ride-On
Wheels: Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubular
Tires: Vittoria Corsa CX
Saddle: fi’zi:k Antares
Pedals/Cleats: Speedplay Nanogram Zero
Other:
K-EDGE Pro Chain Catcher
K-EDGE Number Holder
Arundel Carbon Bottle Cage

in case anyone is selling you a bike
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #92 on: September 13, 2012, 16:11 »
    Rather alarmingly chauvinistic attitude, but as with all good stories, there's a happy ending  :)

http://marijndevries.nl/?p=5276
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #93 on: September 13, 2012, 16:21 »
    Shame AADrink didn't want to send a team but good they could still do it. Pooley must not retire!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #94 on: September 17, 2012, 22:18 »
    A few recent blogs from Stef Wyman that make good and interesting reading:
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/09/the-role-of-fans-in-womens-cycling/

Of particular interest is his plan for a fan backed team.  Has generated big interest on twitter leading to more info: http://www.onthedrops.cc/fanbackedwomensteam/

And perhaps most excitingly as far as this is concerned, Wiggins is keen to do more to promote women's cycling: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9549351/Bradley-Wiggins-wants-to-invest-in-a-cycling-team-for-Britains-women.html  :fanfare
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #95 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46 »
    On cn now re wiggo team

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-willing-to-financially-support-a-british-womens-team

“I would like to help form a women’s team ,” he told The Telegraph. “I have no idea what it would cost but it would be something I would be willing to put in some of my own money in to start up.”

The Tour de France winner and Olympic champion would only be interested in a full-fledged effort, though. “It would have to be all or nothing, though, I wouldn’t want to be involved in a tuppence-ha’penny team. It would have to be a full-on set up.”

If he did this I would be very happy and less meh towards him

How shallow of me  :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #96 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50 »
    It's like movie production though, isn't it? The golden rule is you never put in your own money. Ask Arnon Milchan. Put your name on it but not your money. Sponsors?

Or is it just going to be a blank jersey designed by those Yaxley lads with the words Wiggo's Wonderful Women on it?
    Mod target RAF thing on the helmets.

Swooshing stripes down the shorts in the shape of the global, benevolent sideburn.

Managed by Cath Wiggins, so that a rival team springs up in 2014 called Froome's Dames. Managed by Michelle Cound.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #97 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55 »
    It's like movie production though, isn't it? The golden rule is you never put in your own money. Ask Arnon Milchan. Put your name on it but not your money. Sponsors?

Or is it just going to be a blank jersey designed by those Yaxley lads with the words Wiggo's Wonderful Women on it?
    Mod target RAF thing on the helmets.

Swooshing stripes down the shorts in the shape of the global, benevolent sideburn.

Managed by Cath Wiggins, so that a rival team springs up in 2014 called Froome's Dames. Managed by Michelle Cound.

to be honest it could be called Wiggos Bitches and I would be happy

who cares where the money comes from and how, if it his or private sponsors or pressure on sky sponsors or even Sky.

New money coming in from one the Pelotons leader at the moment, might just be a injection womens cycling needs
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 847
    « Reply #98 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17 »
    I hope Wiggo isn't just spewing hot air, it's great to hear him say that just a few days after Brailsford was asked about a Sky women's team and gave a very 'maybe but no' kind of answer.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #99 on: September 21, 2012, 19:57 »
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534894/talk-of-women-s-team-heats-up-as-garner-defends-world-title.html
    First posted by CJ in the World Champs thread but thought I would answer it here, as the main point it raises is best dealt with here I think.  From what Brailsford is saying, I'm inferring that the British academy set up atm is boys only?  So his suggestion sounds like being an equivalent for the girls?  No denying that that would be great, for the British women, and there is clearly some exceptional talent coming through the British ranks.  Junior TT and RR champ is pretty special. 

However, reluctant as I am to criticise anything that is undoubtedly positive for women's cycling, it's only a very small (British orientated) step, it would be nice to see a more positive commitment from DB towards the female professional peloton (where we obviously have plenty of talented riders already).  Man, I hope the women produce the race to end all race's on Saturday and the UCI just HAVE to do something...   

Edit: read this on the BBC that either wasn't in Cycling Weekly or I just didn't read it properly;
    It's about British Cycling and participation. We want to make sure we get that development pathway right.
    "With Sky as a partner and British Cycling working together there's a real opportunity to do something which is sustainable which makes sure British Cycling maintains the standard
      So to me that sounds like they are looking long term (which is good of course), albeit with no assurances on any sort of time frame.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 22:30 by Dancing on the Pedals »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #103 on: September 30, 2012, 18:44 »
    Not too much new, but Pendleton calls for British Cycling to put a woman on their senior staff to help out the female riders on the team.  Echoes what she says in her book.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19775379
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Shelley Olds, Claudia Häusler and Chantal Blaak to Tibco-To The Top for 2013

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12981/Shelley-Olds-Claudia-Hausler-and-Chantal-Blaak-to-Tibco-To-The-Top-for-2013.aspx#ixzz28AUlHBNx

couple of AA find a new home  :win

any news on EP ?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    and 2 more AA+s find homes

The British Lucy Martin (22) and the Dutch Marieke van Wanroij (33) are the newest members of the Dolmans-Boels Cycling Team

http://www.wielerland.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23863&Itemid=38
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Hitec looking strong for next year

Fahlin and Hosking join Hitec Products for 2013

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fahlin-and-hosking-join-hitec-products-for-2013
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org

Emma Pooley prepares to pull brakes on cycling career

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/emma-pooley-prepares-to-pull-brakes-on-cycling-career_248030

I had to take a breath after reading this and CN's quotes from cretinous Sutton. An articulate person expresses herself openly and honestly and she gets labelled "bitter" and "bad for the team", despite being "a lovely girl".

Patronising idiot. Sutton is the one that's bad for the team if he is actively encouraging a World Champion and Olympic medallist to walk away from pro cycling at the height of her powers. Idiotic old men, seeing a completely other self-serving, ass-protecting, dollar-generating world quite apart from the rest of us.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    I had to take a breath after reading this and CN's quotes from cretinous Sutton. An articulate person expresses herself openly and honestly and she gets labelled "bitter" and "bad for the team", despite being "a lovely girl".

Patronising idiot. Sutton is the one that's bad for the team if he is actively encouraging a World Champion and Olympic medallist to walk away from pro cycling at the height of her powers. Idiotic old men, seeing a completely other self-serving, ass-protecting, dollar-generating world quite apart from the rest of us.

QFTT
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain

Emma Pooley prepares to pull brakes on cycling career

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/emma-pooley-prepares-to-pull-brakes-on-cycling-career_248030
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

As a massive fanboy of Emma, I'm gutted.  Absolutely gutted.  It just seems that all the fight has gone out of her, and after the energy that she has invested into it, I can't say I blame her.  Brailsford's platitudes after the World's clearly too little too late - and even those weren't aimed at the likes of Emma/Lizzie/Nicole etc.  It's a sad day for women's cycling, and a damning indictment on all those involved imho.

Sutton's comments sound as if he is completely ignorant of women's cycling in general.  She's not bitter at all toward's British Cycling - she has said frequently how appreciative of all their support she is.  She's angry at the UCI, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence can work out why that is.  I guess not for Shane though.   What a pr*ck.   

If she never comes back, then I am going to miss her so much.  Awesome to watch on the bike particularly going uphill, incredibly graceful yet pugnacious and feisty as well.  Also gave fantastic interview's as well - so articulate and precise, has been a brilliant spokeswoman for her sport over the last year or so. 

At her best:

:win :win :win

Now off to drown my sorrows  :(
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 177

Well said L'arriv..  Sutton seems to be one of the main road blocks in the UK stopping the promotion of women's road cycling and preventing Sky forming a women's team.  If half the tales I have heard about him and his attitude to Nicole Cooke are true he needs shooting.  How he hangs in there, with two salaries, one from the public purse, one from Sky and carries on like he does is amazing.  When are these guys going to learn to be professional?  If they want jobs as pundits - go and do it, but quit being paid for the day job where the professionalism requires that they treat all athletes with equality and with confidentiality.  Oh but of course he doesn't see his job like that does he.  How does Steve Peters square the circle with him?

To me it looks like Sutton and Brailsford are dragging out time, waiting for Pooley, Cooke and Laws to retire before they unleash the Sky press machine and invent women's road cycling and make it popular.  Now they have had the first ever British World Road Champion since Simpson perhaps they will get a female World Road Champion whose exploits might match either Cav or Brad.  Maybe one day a World number one ?

Some of those comments on velonews are just plain dumb.  Women's road cycling getting stronger ?  The race program has been decimated and teams are only just hanging in there.  Lots of tales of riders not being paid this year.  The fields are thinner in quality as a consequence.  Translate for "ignorant fool had not opened his eyes before - you mean women race bikes on the road !"   There is no free market regarding advertising.  It is rigged. A rigged market is rigged by those who want to stop evolution.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Now they have had the first ever British World Road Champion since Simpson perhaps they will get a female World Road Champion whose exploits might match either Cav or Brad.  Maybe one day a World number one ?

Nicole?

Anyway, some good news.  Double junior world champ Lucy Garner has been signed by Argos-Shimano for next season  :win
    http://www.1t4i.com/news/2480/
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    "I know they're not women's races. That's my point. Women's cycling has developed in many ways the last few years and there are a lot of well-organised teams. Those races (the Classics) are the real races, the historic races and we want them too. It'd be a act of recognition for women's cycling. I know what it means to wear the pink jersey, I won the Giro twice. That's why I really want the UCI and the men to add women's versions of the major classics to our calendar."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vos-calls-for-womens-versions-of-the-major-classics
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Good to head Vos speaking out.  Biggest name in women's cycling adds more fuel to the fire and puts more pressure on the UCI.  I wonder though, are the race organisers - RCS/ASO/whoever else organises any of the Classics, also guilty of not doing more to create women's races?  Flanders now has the women race on the same day, as do G-W and F-W, so the template is clearly there, and it would be nice to see more of the same.  The women on the Paris  Roubaix cobbles would be awesome to watch.  However, I guess it's a question of chicken and egg though isn't it.  Organisers look to the UCI and say, 'what's in it for us?'  UCI say 'women...meh', and therefore the organiser's don't want to pay more money on a ladies race. 

Most startling element of that CN article for me?  She's only 25 and yet has over 400 victories (including cx and track...?)  either way, that is slightly scary!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    UCI masterplan to save women’s racing

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/535194/uci-masterplan-to-save-women-s-racing.html

Cookson on...
    Men's ProTeams having women's teams
    "We could look at encouraging ProTeams when they renew their UCI registration, but not necessarily in a compulsory way.
    "A lot of the men's teams are financially challenged anyway. Putting more load on them is not necessarily going to help in this situation. They'd probably say it's the simplest thing to cut off."
    Men's races having accompanying women's races
    "I think some go for the men's event and regard the women's as a bit of a sideshow. We can do more of that association with those races, but I think we've got to have more events not linked to men's."
    Lack of televised live women's events
    "Is it the broadcasters' fault or is it the public who are not that interested in watching it? That's the whole conundrum of women's sport, it's the same with women's football: if the public wanted to watch it, there would be more on."
    Changing the women's World Cup
    "I think the World Cup for women as it stands is quite a sensible entity. I'd like to see more events and stage races too. Making that happen is much more difficult."
    A minimum wage for women cyclists
    "If you passed a rule tomorrow saying that a women's pro team had to have a minimum wage, the first result would be you'd lose half the teams, because they couldn't afford it."
    Sponsors entering women's sport
    "Money comes into sport because people want to watch it or follow it, and companies come to see some value to being associated with that sport, because of the profile it gives them and the gain they can get out of it."
    How the media can help
    "Maybe be bold from time to time and have the confidence as a publisher or media organisation to put a woman on the front cover. Increasing the proportion of women's coverage would be good. But I don't think women want tokenism: they want interesting stories about interesting people and events in their own right."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r