Buchanan, John
2 (28.6%)
Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

ram

Re: Cricket V2- KP no more Genius
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 13:46 »
Weather forecast looks bad, but the umpires might gift England another five soon.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 14:59 »
    De Villiers gone and with him so too are SA's hopes of posting a respectable first innings score....

Broad not looking at his best especially considering he is bowling well below his usual pace.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 15:40 »
    Just asked an umpire about the DRS. It's pretty clear that Tucker cocked up with regards to Kallis. The rules state that the TV umpire should not withhold information to the on field umpire even if he's not prompted for it.

Kallis, hand off handle. Not out.

Dharmasena may have asked whether he gloved it, and the answer may have been in the affirmative, but he didn't glove it when in contact with the bat. Mistake by Tucker.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

Re: Cricket V2- Hi AG!
    « Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 16:48 »
    Pitch is flat.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 17:28 »
    Pitch is flat.
    So worrying signs for the SA batsmen who should not be on the backfoot, combination of bad luck and poor play, but Finn surely has secured the 3rd pace bowler slot today. Though he should have secured it long ago anyways, it seems that these 3 should also be the 3 in the ODI team, with Bresnan one again making way, if none of them are being rested for tests. T20 Bresnan should still have a claim considering Anderson is generally too expensive in the format, but I watched Finn in a CB40 at Lords for Middlesex last year where he took a 5 for and he was absolutely unbelievable and I think he will be just as effective in T20 especially as the selectors seem to favour him for their limited overs sides. Onions seems to be on the outskirts of the team, but the way I see it he doesnt offer anything the others do not. Tremlett? Maybe but he needs to stay injury free and build up sufficient form because being seriously considered

All in all that leaves little room for the likes of Dernbach or Meaker, but none of them have yet to show anything to suggest they are capable of matching these 4, Dernbach seems too one dimensional to me to become a ODI or Test bowler and if played right he can be a massive liability in tests. There really isnt room for many new bowlers to stake their claim at the moment with guys like Shahzad and Plunkett, though I dont rate them anyway, really unlikely to ever have another shoo in.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 18:04 »
    So worrying signs for the SA batsmen who should not be on the backfoot, combination of bad luck and poor play, but Finn surely has secured the 3rd pace bowler slot today. Though he should have secured it long ago anyways, it seems that these 3 should also be the 3 in the ODI team, with Bresnan one again making way, if none of them are being rested for tests. T20 Bresnan should still have a claim considering Anderson is generally too expensive in the format, but I watched Finn in a CB40 at Lords for Middlesex last year where he took a 5 for and he was absolutely unbelievable and I think he will be just as effective in T20 especially as the selectors seem to favour him for their limited overs sides. Onions seems to be on the outskirts of the team, but the way I see it he doesnt offer anything the others do not. Tremlett? Maybe but he needs to stay injury free and build up sufficient form because being seriously considered
    Easier said than done to get on the front foot when swinging all over and getting short balls.

Even post today's efforts, Finn's shortcomings are clear, he bowls some peaches but also some absolute drivel in the middle of that. Good for meaningless OD stuff and against county journeymen, but the international players will pick off his rubbish and they consistently do so. He bowls like he usually does in the subcontinent, and he'd get no wickets. Onions is well better than Finn now, far more consistent and far less wayward sh*te. Will he have a 4 wicket spell? No, not likely, but he'll never concede 100 in 15 overs either.

All in all that leaves little room for the likes of Dernbach or Meaker, but none of them have yet to show anything to suggest they are capable of matching these 4, Dernbach seems too one dimensional to me to become a ODI or Test bowler and if played right he can be a massive liability in tests. There really isnt room for many new bowlers to stake their claim at the moment with guys like Shahzad and Plunkett, though I dont rate them anyway, really unlikely to ever have another shoo in.
    Problem with Dernbach is, apart from being a no good sh*t block, that he thinks he has many dimensions when he's a sh*t bowler with a muddled brain. How much better would he the dirt bag be if his wrist was plastered in a cast and he wasn't allowed to bowl any slow balls? Guess it's not much, he's just sh*t.

Plunkett? If he ever plays for England again, they're in trouble. Shahzad? :censored, but at least he has potential. Though Moeen Ashraf is the new thing in terms of Yorkie quicks. Meaker? Let's see, he's got the stuff.

Nass spewing about bowling depth is just cringeworthy. Yeah, depth... guess that depth helped when getting beaten by 18 wickets and looking as toothy as a flipping earthworm in Headingley.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 19:04 »
    Wasnt watching in the Tea interval but....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19289543
    All I can say to this is.... LOL

Jamaican sprinter and triple Olympic medal winner at London 2012 Yohan Blake believes he is a "better cricketer" than he is a sprinter.
    The 22-year-old was a guest of honour at Lord's for the first day of England's final Test with South Africa and rang the bell to start play.
    "I love cricket, more than I love athletics," he told Sky Sports during the tea interval.
    He also revealed the chance of playing Twenty20 is a "real possibility".
    Blake was second best to his friend and training partner Usain Bolt in both the 100m and 200m at the Olympics before the duo combined to help Jamaica take gold in the 4x100m relay and break the world record.
    He admitted he still plays competitively for Kingston Cricket Club and said both he and Bolt would love to play in the Twenty20 Big Bash League in Australia.
    "It is a possibility and definitely one I hope comes true," said Blake.
    "I practise at home because I have a bowling machine, which I set to 90mph because I like the speed."
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19 »
    Pretty good day for England yesterday, but an excellent fightback from ABDV, Rudolph, Duminy, Philander and Steyn.  Would have been good if they had been able to get another wicket last night, but hopefully they can wrap it up in the first hour this morning.  Finn is an enigma - brilliant at times, wayward and too expensive at others.  It's a toss up between the wickets he takes and the runs that he will concede.  In limited overs cricket, he has been England's best bowler for the last 2 years or so, but still not quite the finished article in test matches.  Interestingly, after being left out of the side yesterday morning, Onions bolted up the M1 and proceeded to take 9 wickets against Notts (and ran out number 10).  So not a bad day's work then!

As for Blake, I call bs.  Apparently he was interviewed by Sky at tea, and told Holding that he was as quick a bowler as the great man back in the day.  And he would like to see T20 in the Olympics, so that he could compete in both that and athletics...  If he and Bolt do play in the Big Bash, it would certainly bring in the crowds, but it would smack of a publicity stunt rather than anything based on their cricketing ability.  Would also be quite fun to see the pair of them brought back down to size a bit if someone Aussie that  no one has ever heard of takes Blake's 90mph bowling apart  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

ram

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42 »
    Blake's clever, no Australian below the age of 30 can hold a bat. Even Mark Ealham would look like Dennis Lillee there.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 14:03 »
    The usual clever bowling from SA,  Morkel pitching it short and Philanderer and Steyn bowling at the stumps.   

Saffirs all over England at the minute with 3 down for 39.

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 14:05 »
    Dropping Pietersen was a masterstroke. WTF were England thinking. The batting's sh*te, and they have to depend of the Belly to score their runs.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 14:05 »
    Jimmy Taylor and Jonny Bairstow next up.   :fp
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 14:08 »
    Dropping Pietersen was a masterstroke. WTF were England thinking. The batting's sh*te, and they have to depend of the Belly to score their runs.

Its getting like England under Nassir Hussain in having a next to useless batting line up.   
    At least we have 6 batters though which is something and not committing suicide with 5.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 14:16 »
    Its getting like England under Nassir Hussain in having a next to useless batting line up.   
    At least we have 6 batters though which is something and not committing suicide with 5.
    Sage

And looking at that bouncer that had Jimmy Taylor in a tangle, the ginga minga is not scoring more than 6 today.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 14:41 »
    Little Jimmy Taylor is gawn for 10.     I thought he might get 23  ::)

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 14:43 »
    Follow on target still 55 runs away.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 14:50 »
    Its like Romans throwing Christians to the lions,    The best bowling attack in world cricket against novices.

Pietersen should tell England to shove it and play 20 20 for cash full time.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 14:58 »
    That would be hella grouse.

Belly going boundary mad. Or at least in comparison to the rest of the innigns.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 18:57 »
    I'm torn.  Between wanting England to play well and bat through tomorrow to get themselves into a commanding position, and Bairstow being the man who will have to do that job...  Sure they haven't played that well this series, but to criticise the England batting to the extent that some of you lot have done is to disregard everything that they have done over the last 2 years.  however, for the greater good, I hope he and Prior get stuck in tomorrow and go big.

Ram, I know you love to criticise Bell, but fact is, he has been arguably the most consistent batsman for England in that time, and is a far cry from the player he was back in 2007.  KP being dropped was clearly non-negotiable.  No matter his game changing ability with the bat, what he did, in the eyes of the England management (who are the ones who really matter here), crossed the line- not only with the texts, but also in trying to dictate the terms of his availability. 

Sub, it's very harsh to say that England have gone back to the revolving door and ineptitude of the 1990s.  A marked feature of the last few years has been their consistency in selection, which has paid dividends, and lest we forget, got them to the top of the world rankings (although imho this is only a statistics and doesn't mean a great deal).  Taylor and Bairstow are two very promising young players who the ECB clearly like the look of, and want to bring into the test set up.  They are young, and will take time to find their feet, but they deserve that chance.  Incidentally, Prior is easily good enough to bat at 6.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2012, 01:10 »
    Aye, I love to criticise him. Watch Kohli next :D

He has been consistent, no doubt, but the situation has always been such that it was against powder puff. His best contributions came on the Jaarpie tour of 2009, some proper innings in adverse conditions. Once the challenge became a bit more difficult than facing Mark Ealham like Indian dobbers or Mitchell on Johnson form, he flopped again. See Abu Dhabi, Sri Lanka and again this series. Need more from him at such times, and I don't believe he'll be a KP or even a Cook or Strauss (remember his form in India during the KP Moores fiasco) at their peak for mine.

Speaking of KP Moores, did Pietersen get knighted for booting out that incompetent nonsense?
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #50 on: August 18, 2012, 12:27 »

Sub, it's very harsh to say that England have gone back to the revolving door and ineptitude of the 1990s.  A marked feature of the last few years has been their consistency in selection, which has paid dividends, and lest we forget, got them to the top of the world rankings (although imho this is only a statistics and doesn't mean a great deal).  Taylor and Bairstow are two very promising young players who the ECB clearly like the look of, and want to bring into the test set up.  They are young, and will take time to find their feet, but they deserve that chance.  Incidentally, Prior is easily good enough to bat at 6.

Well yes, I'm not against young players getting a chance,  but going with two untested batters to go with the patchy form of some of the others  is kind of risky IMO.       

Anyway Bairstow proving me wrong at the minute on 95 not out.         
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 12:40 »
    FFS
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 12:49 »
    Bugger.    He's out for 95.     

Well played the ginger guy against the best pace attack i've seen in ages.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57 »
    Aye, shame for him. Definitely didn't expect that from him though, top innings.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 13:16 »
    Laxman has retired. Great batsman. That's the Kolkatta 2001 partnership gone. Anyone who could toy with that Australian attack was special, and Laxman was indeed special. His last great innings? Guiding India to a home win against Australia needing another hundred runs with only Ishant (alongside him) and Ojha (next man in).  Special batsman who was at his best when the situation most needed an inspired innings. I'll miss him, but it was time to go. Hope he enjoys his retirement.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 22:02 »
    Laxman has retired. Great batsman. That's the Kolkatta 2001 partnership gone. Anyone who could toy with that Australian attack was special, and Laxman was indeed special. His last great innings? Guiding India to a home win against Australia needing another hundred runs with only Ishant (alongside him) and Ojha (next man in).  Special batsman who was at his best when the situation most needed an inspired innings. I'll miss him, but it was time to go. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Ditto.  Often overlooked in the headlines next to Tendulkar/Dravid/Sehwag etc. but a wonderful player.  I think I'm right in saying that he has the best 4th innings record of any batsmen in test cricket... (or something like that!)  Always seemed to pull out something special when India needed it most.

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 22:23 »
    Easier said than done to get on the front foot when swinging all over and getting short balls.
    :fp :fp  Not that type of Backfoot...
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03 »
    Then the struggling backfoot? Again, the ball was swinging and England has a good attack for those conditions. England could roll this lot over for 250 and the chase would still be a very tough one. That's where the batting stands atm.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 05:07 »
    Every now and then the U19s shows a flicker of life. South Africa against England. Future keeper Gerald de Kock failed today, but they should win. England's batting really doesn't seem capable of chasing down 230 odd. Bell Drummond already gone.

Future England- Foakes, Stokes and Woakes (I hate myself for that)?

Australia Bangladesh is shaping up well. Bangers beat the Lankans earlier and now have Australia 3/33 chasing 171.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11 »
    Terrible from the English U19s. De Kock had a good match as keeper.

Australia beat the Bangers by five wickets and the Scots beat the Zimbots :fp
  • ReplyReply

•