1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2029
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: Cricket V2- Hi AG!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 09:58 »
Then the struggling backfoot? Again, the ball was swinging and England has a good attack for those conditions. England could roll this lot over for 250 and the chase would still be a very tough one. That's where the batting stands atm.
Granted it is going to be a really tight match and it is perfectly poised at the moment, any chase against this SA attack is going to be tough...

Right now SA have the ability to put themselves in the driving seat with a strong patnership and considering you expect their tail to add on some runs their score will most likely always be competitive...

Anyway I am off now to Lords to see how it goes... :wave
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 11:33 »
    Enjoy, Froome.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 11:47 »
    Being reported that KP texted Steyn about how to get Strauss out. If true, Pietersen can right flip off. I'll defend  criticism of others, but this is just sh*tting on his employers.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 11:58 »
    Indeed, if thats the case he's dog meat as far as playing for England again is concerned. (does that make sense?)

Laxman could play, always go down as the guy that played that epic innings.   In other news Jimmy Anderson just put down a dolly drop.   :fp

• ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 16:08 »
    Peitersen out first ball playing for Surrey against Hampshire today.    ;D

brought the house down apparently.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 21:14 »
    All my doubts about Finn's quality evaporated today in that amazing spell of his which truly underlined his credentials as a fast bowler.

He was afar England's most lethal bowler today on a day when for once Anderson seemed unusually tame and he managed to take the wickets of De Villiers and Amla both of whom didnt seem like they were getting out anytime soon. His pace is greater than the other bowlers, but it is his length and line which were far superior to the other bowlers and the ball he bowled to Amla was a true example of how they all should have been bowling, he also manages to swing and seem the ball enough that the batsmen are never sure when to play frontfoot and when to play back foot. His bouncers and short balls are also lethal due to his height and all in all he has improved and is still improving into a quality fast bowler whom may even be the new spearhead of the England attack.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28 »
    First Peiterson gives advice to SA on how to get Strauss out, (like anybody needs that because its obvious to anybody), now Trott runs out wee Jimmy Taylor.   

The England national team infiltrated by SA turncoats.       ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 14:58 »
    What ridiculous helmet Taylor was wearing.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #68 on: August 20, 2012, 14:59 »
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #69 on: August 25, 2012, 17:53 »
    Yes Hampshire!  Twenty20 final gets under way at 6.45 UK time, Hampshire taking on Sussex. 

Have to feel for Somerset, they just seem destined to never win this tournament!
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #70 on: August 25, 2012, 21:45 »
    :win :fanfare  :win :fanfare  :win :fanfare :win :fanfare

Hampshire, 2nd title in 3 years, WOOHOO!!!  Chris Wood, 3 wickets in the final over  :pray :pray :pray  So happy right now!

Got to feel for David Miller, 72* from 46 balls, almost single handedly winning the game for Yorkshire, certainly had me very tense right up until the final over!
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #71 on: August 26, 2012, 10:57 »
    Ram, your boys did it!  Congratulations to India's U19's on the success.  Chand looks like a very good prospect, especially with gaps starting to appear in the senior Indian side's top order.

Ian Chappell makes some good points on it here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/579325.html
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #72 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13 »
    Ram is missing in action,     hopefully his studies go well but yeah nice to see Hampshire continue with their solid finals day conversion of wins in limited overs comps.   

Strauss about to retire I think.    Good player with 100 caps and averaging over 40 though if he continues thats likely to drop into the thirties so a good time to go.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #73 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25 »
    There is certainly no pace bowling attack in the world atm which can rival the Proteas...
    They are capable of resting Philander, Steyn and Kallis and still field an attack which easily
    betters our batsmen including a bowler who is 2nd in the rankings..

Good to see the ECB wont let the Strauss debacle continue, he is obviously not up to the level of test cricket and for him to continue would be folly. The question is there is no obvious candidate to replace him.. if only Marcus Treskothick was still playing.....

Now is the chance for new batsmen to come into the side with KP gone and Strauss close to following him and the fact our middle order needs a reshuffle. But it seems as if the candidates are just a bit reluctant to step up to the plate and it is imperative for English cricket that they do.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #74 on: August 29, 2012, 12:05 »
    Strauss about to retire I think.    Good player with 100 caps and averaging over 40 though if he continues thats likely to drop into the thirties so a good time to go.

Spooky premonition there Subs.

Strauss retires from all forms of professional cricket with immediate effect. Not something I was expecting, I have to say... stepping down from the captaincy was no surprise, but hanging up his pads completely seems odd to me.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #75 on: August 29, 2012, 12:08 »
    Spooky premonition there Subs.

Strauss retires from all forms of professional cricket with immediate effect. Not something I was expecting, I have to say... stepping down from the captaincy was no surprise, but hanging up his pads completely seems odd to me.
    To me they go hand in hand, the only reason he was still in the team was due to his captaincy. Once that goes so does his place in the team and it would be advisable he retires..
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #76 on: August 29, 2012, 12:55 »
    Very sad to see him go.  His achievements as captain put him up there with the England greats.  He always sought (and more often than not succeeded) to lead by example, a fantastic role model, and an ultimate team man.  I can understand why he has called it quite, although I thought he would go on until after the next Ashes series.  A bit surprised that he's retired completely - thought he would just retire from international cricket, and then perhaps see out the season with Middlesex, but enough is enough I suppose. 

As for a replacement - bearing in mind that their first assignment will be to tour India, arguably the hardest place in the world to tour, hmm....  During their rise to the top, England seemed to have reasonable strength in depth in the middle order, and it was all built on a solid and dependable opening partnership (most successful for England ever I think...?), so there was no need to look for a replacement.  Whereas Bopara, Morgan, Bairstow, and Taylor have all been blooded at number 6 (and the likes of Compton who have come close are also middle order players), there has been no need to find an opener/top 3 bat.  Likely candidates that I can see therefore, are a bit thin on the ground.  Carberry has one test to his name, and then got jettisonned.  Has since had a carear threatening illness but come back to something near his best.  Joe Root is clearly the man the selectors like the  look of, but  is possibly a season too early at least I would have thought.  Outside shot could be Jimmy Adams (although I may be suffering from Hampshire bias here!), but has had a number of good season's in recent years and tends to score big hundreds.  Potential downside being that both Carbs and Adams are 31.  Other possibilities could be Varun Chopra?  Any others...?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #77 on: August 31, 2012, 17:54 »
    Once again the problem with all the players you name is that none of them stand out. I would go for a gamble; possibly Root..

England finally get the better of the SA batting and it is now down to our own batsmen to fend off their bowling, not an easy task but one considering the total, which we should be up to.  Hopefully this will inject some much needed confidence into the side prior to the T20 world cup
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #78 on: August 31, 2012, 21:54 »
    If in doubt, rely on an Irishman and a Saffa  ;) 
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #79 on: September 01, 2012, 22:10 »
    If in doubt, rely on an Irishman and a Saffa  ;)
    Tbh it didnt work in the test series, and look at the 2 players who just deserted us..  :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012, 22:34 »
    Amla :pray

After a brief respite things reverted to how they were in the test series with our batting under performing and their batting seemingly unstoppable,
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #81 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27 »
    Amla must be the most improved international player of recent times.      There's hope for Bopara yet if he can take some inspiration from the guy.

• ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28 »
    Amla must be the most improved international player of recent times.      There's hope for Bopara yet if he can take some inspiration from the guy.

Haha, that's possibly hoping for too much.  Agree about Amla, but what on earth has happened to Bopara's batting since the Aussie ODI's?  He looked almost decent there, and now looks like he doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. 

Was reasonably impressed with Woakes the other day - batted ok, and bowled quite nicely too, although not that quick.

Congratulations to Warwickshire on clinching the title (after coming  so close last year).  CB40 final is set up nicely between the County Champions, and the T20 Champions.  Incidentally, I wonder if England will let Bell play for Warwickshire - the final is next Saturday, and the T20s (if Bell plays in those...?) will be all done by then.  I hope so, as I am going to watch  8)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 22:32 »
    Lancs  :'(

We deserve to go down though and with our squad it was not like we ever performed below expectations, rather last year we just performed way above what we should have and got a bit lucky at the same time with our Liverpool fixtures and Shiv Chanderpaul running out of matches. Really the county hopefully now with Old Trafford up and running effectively, hopefully we can focus on improving the squad but it has been a very tumultuous time for Lancs and it will take a determined effort to get back up next season and hopefully the signing of some good players. In terms of the limited overs it seems like that may in fact be Lancs' greatest chance of victory atm, yet it seems like the county never have the quality or composure to win their semi finals and it is just a case of a bit of extra quality required, primarily in the batting department where batsmen like Moore are good but Lancs need a bit extra to succeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #84 on: September 09, 2012, 13:07 »
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/581478.html

Have to say, I think he's got a point.  It's clear that there has been a measure of double standards seemingly applied to KP and the rest of the team.  England don't seem to be too interested in hearing what he has to say unless it is an unreserved apology, so his international future does look rather bleak...  Rather disappointing from an England fan's perspective
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2012, 15:03 »
    How quiet has this place been eh?

Here's the problem, and Georgie Dobbell admitted to it on his twitter account, journos fuel the fire by posting private matter in the public domain.

twittery all round. Incidentally twitto played a top meaningless twenty20 innings yesterday.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16 »
    Dourby getting fliped. Grouse, and Hants may even get a bit of my support now. How green is that pitch? Barely any brown in the county ground.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 12:25 »
    In yer face Chavis, you may have the sh*ttest England player atm but you're still sh*te. 2/25 Pettini and Shah in now.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 12:32 »
    Moeeen! You flipping beaut. Mark sh*ttini gone.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2012, 12:37 »
    Found an interesting bit of trivia overnight. One really only for Spider to have any chance, can't expect others to follow Grade cricket.
    What was Warnie's best figures in Grade cricket before making his FC debut?

Lunch, Derby going on ace bat Palladino's score :D
  • ReplyReply

•