Buchanan, John
2 (25%)
Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Archieboy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 517
  • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner

David Warner should be shown this clip
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    Sam Agarwal scores the first triple century in Varsity history, and does it at better than a run a ball.  Bonkers.  Oxford declare on 550/7.

Now for Cambridge to collapse in a heap...   :D

• ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    I always check up cricinfo's player stats when I am on there.

Steve Smith imo would be a great candidate for shoring up the middle order, he played really well in India and anyways Australia are short of middle order batsmen full stop.

Shame the England match got downgraded, maybe they should have forfeited and then started up again by playing a friendly, that would have meant Bresnan could have registered his first century since 2007.

Rogers is a no brainer, he could become the star of the tour, he has been absolute quality for Middlesex for quite some time now and if he can make Watson play as he can we now have a series on our hands..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    I think Australia will do worse than before.

Watson should be no where near the team. Niether should Warner at the moment. Don't think Cowan should be shafted and Siddle needs to improve? Bloody Boof. :roll
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    So, second test starts tomorrow, with lots of questions in the air. 
    Can Australia build on their promising performance at Trent Bridge?  The pitch should help them a bit more - more pace for Pattinson and Starc.  How united is the team really?  Apparently Clarke called Watson 'a cancer' during the Arthur regime.  Can their batsmen score enough runs...?

For England, the big issue is whether any bowler other than the peerless Anderson can take a wicket?  Finn vs Onions vs Bresnan?  For my money, I'd pick Finn for this test - home ground, good record, more of a threat that Bresnan for certain. 

In any case, let's hope it's another cracking test, and with less DRS related controversy that the first one...
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Finn is the better bowler I don't think there is much doubt about that. So in my opinion England should go with him, of course Finn may not be bowling as well as he could and Bresnan has qualities Finn does not have, but I watched him take a 5 for at Lords a little while back and if he can bowl anywhere near to that I would take his performance any day.

I am getting really excited to see Chris Tremlett being talked about.. Ok it is all speculation, but he is just my ideal type of bowler and a quality one at that.

Anderson has been getting a lot of hype, but however much I don't like him Stuart Broad on his day can be just as devastating and Finn is not half bad either. Though Anderson is carrying the attack currently, he has not been the sole facet of the English attack this past 2 years or so and I think people need to remember that.

I am also looking forward to see more of the Aussies opening partnership, it is an exciting one and one that I personally think can go far. Rogers will surely make a big score somewhere along the line and he has already acquited himself well on his arrival on the big stage. Cowan's place is under a bit of scrutiny, he was ill during the last test but he got pushed out of the opening spot and there is always Ol' Dave Warner there to take his place off him if his form dips past a certain point.

And if the Aussies top order can get amongst the runs a bit more then the contributions of the lower order could be the ones which turn the game in their favour. Every single one of their bowlers are solid batsmen and that is one thing they have over England - albeit a little thing (which could be evened up to a degree if Bresnan comes in, but they still will probably have the upper hand).

Still I have tickets for 2 days of the Oval test.. so there is a little voice telling me that I want this to go down to the wire.  :embarrassed

And though this thread has been quiet.. Lancs have been on a roll the last couple of games and are well in contention for making the quarters. Though it seems like the Old Trafford pitch they are using is just a bit too much suited to batsmen. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    will be interesting to see, i think England will drop Finn. they have been quick to correct issues in past and think they will do so again even with 'Home advantage'

And like Cyivel, and it seems unlike most cricket fans (or is that just Ram), i like Bresnan and want to see him plsy
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    What a calamitous few days for Australia, they have been well and truly b*tch slapped all around Lord's.  My prediction for today is England bat for the first hour, Root get to 200, Bairstow/Prior/Swan/Broad have license to swing from the hip at the other end, declare with an hour to bowl at the Aussies, who will be 3 down by lunch.  The footmarks outside the left hander's off stump are huge, and Swann will be licking his lips - all over by tonight potentially.

At the start of the series, I obviously wanted England to win, but I also wanted it to be tight - Trent Bridge was perfect.  However, one sided as this test match has been, Australia have been so poor (with the bat particularly) that I have found myself wanting them to get absolutely smashed.  They're woeful, and if they lose by under 350 runs I will be amazed.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    347 run loss- you better be amazed! :p

Going into this series I was hoping we could lose with a bit of honour- 2-1, or 3-2, giving the team a bit of confidence going into the home series, but that doesn't look the case. I think it'll end up being 4-0 or 3-1. Surely we won't be whitewashed.

I think we'll be a lot more competitive if we bat first. Swann is just too good for the batsmen, batting first on pristine pitches may negate that to an extent.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Heard via our long lost and greatly missed prodigal brother Ramses  :hug that my current fave Protea  had one spectacular bowling over the other day, and not the good kind.. Oh Robbie P :vanish

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-07-26/top-stories/40814592_1_sixes-robin-peterson-van-bunge

At least it was Herscelle Gibbs who smashed the other guy, a wee little balance in that, I'd like to think :meow
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    I think the ODI team is showing the problems that South Africa may face a couple of years down the line with their test set up. Now that they aren't available in the ODI team, you can see just how much the batting depended on Smith and Kallis. The young South African batsmen, guys like Ingram and Behaardien, don't look very good. In 3-4 years time you could see South Africa mirror the current Australian team, or perhaps the current Sri Lankan team- very reliant on a couple of senior batsmen (Amla and de Villiers), not a lot else outside of that. It'll be really interesting to see how they do in the UAE later this year against Pakistan. South Africa looked really fragile against Pakistan this year at the 2nd test (in Cape Town, I think?), the batsmen were outclassed by Ajmal, and the bowlers struggled for penetration without the new ball.

Although as long as Steyn is around they'll stand at least a 50% chance of winning every match they enter, regardless of how weak the batting may become.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Yeah, I actually went to Newlands for that 2nd test, it was great fun. I watched a little yesterday, gotta say I wasn't surprised when AB went for 4... Who knows, maybe the guys can step up over time? Here some pics from that test, Irfan stretching that l-o-o-o-n-g leg :-) and one of Steyn at an ODI v NZ in Paarl when they were here this year
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:03 by kabloemski »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    347 run loss- you better be amazed! :p

Well I was close! 

I kind of hope KP doesn't play at Old Trafford - really want Taylor to get another shot at Test cricket and to score big runs.  Think England will be unchanged apart from KP/Taylor.  Playing two spinners would completely alter the team, and let's face it, Swann is more than capable of destroying the Aussies on his own, especially if Old Trafford turns as much as it has in the past.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Swann? You could take 20 wickets with Kevin Pietersen's off spin :D.

2015 World Cup schedule out. The Sydney matches are disappointing:

Feb 27- South Africa vs. West Indies
    Mar 4- Australia vs. Sri Lanka
    Mar 8- Australia vs. Sri Lanka
    Mar 13- England vs. Q2
    Mar 18- Quarter-final 1
    Mar 26- Semi-final 2

Why do Sri Lanka play here twice? I would have attended both Australian matches if there was a different opponent. I might just end up going twice because I love watching Jayawardene bat, but I'm not even sure if he'll still be playing in 2 years time. :S
  • ReplyReply

• hoerpi

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    • Awards: 2013 Tour de France CQ game winner
    Pretty sure that Jayawardene will play, Sangakkara aswell probably...

Things are not looking good for Australia tomorrow, Smith with back problems and Lyon to probably play his first game. Would've needed more time like in India where he was good in the last test.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    KP looks like being fit, so no Taylor.  Asutralia - who know's what team they will pick.  Warner will come in, but for who...?  Rogers/Hughes/Smith? 

Prediction - Australia will be much more competitive (let's face it, they can't be any worse), but England to win fairly comfortably in the end.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    That decision literally has me shaking in rage. Kumar Dharmasena is such an incompetent *insert swears*.

Still, 2012 ICC Umpire of the Year. A competition that must have as much integrity as the IPL.

• ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro

There he is lads, best umpire in the world, apparently.  :pizzedoff:
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4089
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    it was a pretty shocking decision
  • ReplyReply

• thrawn

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 5
    Worst decision in test history. He should never be allowed near any international match ever again.

The decision was so bad that it is hard to come to a conclusion that doesn't involve him being paid for the call.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    What the worst thing about it was that it was Khawaja who got sawn off. Now, he can't play spin whatsoever (the best he can do, as he showed at Lords, is tough out a 50), so it's very likely that he'll fall cheaply again in the second innings because the pitch will be turning more by then. I don't think he'll cross 10 runs for the match.

This was his big chance today, with the flat pitch, with a guy up the other end flaying the attack, relaxing all pressure on Khawaja, to get a career saving century. Now he's going to be on the outer, and this time, I don't think he'll be able to fight his way back in. For some reason the Australian management have it in for Usman (as they do, to a far greater extent, with Cosgrove) and so any failure of his, no matter how unjust, is pounced upon. Remember how he got dropped from the ODI team this summer, after getting run out by Hughes (Hughes, to me, almost deliberately ran Khawaja out) twice? Remember in India where he got dropped over homeworkgate despite not having played a single match?

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 989
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Yeah, I'm a multi ID fark nugget after my last pc purge means I can't remember the login details.

Lollers, what a load of sh*t. Worst decision in the history..... let's not even get into the home umpires era (1970-71 Ashes, that's sh*t umpiring). Let's see the DRS era
    http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=246471

Clear evidence that suggests Kallis wasn't out yet given (I remember it, his hand was not on the bat). Mr Rod Tucker, a waste of space in the international panel (thereby not allowing another non Englishman or Australian to be part of it and eligible for the Ashes), gives it out despite the hand clearly not being on the bat. Rod Tucker was clearly paid there!

Second, how did South Africa react to that? They went off to twitter and posted that decision sucks ass and shot off a letter to the ICC immediately. Oh wait, that's Australia and England whinging again. South Africa didn't comment and offered feedback after the series.

Khawaja's decision was poor, no doubt, but if these two teams kept their panties in the bunch it belonged instead of spraying their spunk where it doesn't, then just possibly (outrageous thinking here), there would have been less pressure on the umpires to adhere to certain rules that are made on the fly rather than just the right decision being made. That decision, FMD if it isn't, is a direct reaction to Trott's dismissal.

Post Merge: August 02, 2013, 05:06
    Another thing that has to be addressed but will never be, 8 of the 12 umpires are Australian or English, leaving 4 umpires eligible for 10 tests, and any three of them have to be part of every match. How does the ICC/ECB/ACB think that will improve umpiring standards? Those eight include two of the worst umpires in international cricket atm, a Rod Tucker and a Steve Davis.

Anyway, Steve Smith out plumb in front yesterday... bookies not covering the second session in their payments.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:12 by multiidfarknugget »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Khawaja's dismissal a terrible call.  Equally, the Smith caught behind appeal later on - no hotspot, but a massive noise which couldn't have been anything other than an edgs, yet not given.  There is no clarity, and you can tell the players are losing confidence in the system as are fans.

However, to focus on cricket for a moment, christ was that a day the series needed.  Australia have finally come to the party, and it means England will have to really work for their series victory.  Thought Bresnan bowled well (based on the evidence of the TV highlights at least), and Pup was magisterial.  Awesome player, and credit to Rogers and Smith as well - have ensured their team is well set to get a big total. 
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    If the follow-on isn't avoided by England, I hope Clarke see's the bigger picture and doesn't enforce it. Defeat in this series means nothing. The ultimate victor of this cycle will be the team that triumphs in Australia, because of how close together the series are. Losing here can be undone just a few months later.

Anyway, to continue this point that building up to the next Ashes is now the priority, enforcing the follow on and forcing the bowlers to bowl 200+ overs in a row; and then asking them to back up 3 days later at Chester-le-Street, will shatter them. It'll certainly get Harris crocked again. We can't afford injuries, going into the home Ashes series, we need everybody to be at peak fitness and exposure to match conditions.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Kumar Dharmasena is a woeful umpire.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    Say what you want about the English weather, but it has just sent the Aussies packing  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Thanks for coming Australia.

+
     =
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    So it's over and no more games? That's FB!!!

2 games left in the series - it's a best of 5 contest.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    Yeah but if England have won, what's the point of playing those 2 games?

They haven't won. It was a draw so that means its 2-0 to England
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    Just seen on the Sports News channel that England have retained the 'Ashes'. Unless retained has a new meaning then England have won.

Nope, they've retained the Ashes. They haven't won them.

You are American, aren't you  :D :D
  • ReplyReply

•