2 (25%)
Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Eric

• Shabba!
  • Neo Pro
  • Liked: 102
Oh dear BYOP  :D. It goes on until all five matches are completed, regardless of the score. Once a team has won/retained the Ashes, then they usually push for total domination by trying to whitewash the opposition. Australia won the first three matches in 2006 and went on to win the remaining two. I suppose it's comparable to someone like Eddy Merckx not just content winning the Overall but trying to win the other jerseys, as well. There's no real need for it except pride and money. And ranking points.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    And if that wasn't bad enough already B-bop, there's a couple of T20's plus 5 ODI's.  And then just after that has finished, England go to Australia this winter to do the whole thing all over again...
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    No
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
     :D :D

• ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Do they always have the 'ashes' in England then in Australia pretty much straight after?

No, this is a special occasion. Basically what the problem with the traditional hosting cycle (it went like 1997- England, 1998/99 Australia, 2001- England, 2002/03 Australia, 2005 England, 2006/07 Australia, 2009 England, 2010/11 Australia) was that every time England came over to Australia, it would ruin their preparation for the World Cup (which is 50 over, rather than 5 day, cricket), as each of '99, '03 and '07 had the World Cup just a few weeks/months after the Ashes. With the next World Cup set to be held in 2015, the England & Wales Cricket Board have decided that they've had enough of decades worth of underachievement at the World Cup, and so negotiated with Cricket Australia to have the Australian hosted series brought forward a year. It should never happen again, unless the World Cup schedule gets changed or something.

I doubt there's any real merit to it though. Australia played in those same Ashes series as England did, and it didn't stop them winning 3 World Cups in a row between 1999 and 2007.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:45 by Alphabet »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Alphabet's right, England were (still are...?) crap at one day cricket.  In my view, it means overkill big time (especially as there will be another Ashes series in England in 2015).  However, as far as the boards are concerned, it means £££££££££ so they're happy.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    England have been celebrating. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10227389/Monty-Panesar-fined-for-urinating-on-bouncers.html

Root with a cigarette reminds me of a 15 year old kid trying it to impress his older friends by looking reeeeeaaaaaally cool.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Alphabet's right, England were (still are...?) crap at one day cricket.  In my view, it means overkill big time (especially as there will be another Ashes series in England in 2015).  However, as far as the boards are concerned, it means £££££££££ so they're happy.

Sadly, world cricket is evolving to be an eternal tri-series between Australia, England and India, as the three wealthiest boards and most attractive teams for sponsors. I would bet an entire Motoman that the upcoming World Test Championship will see the rankings doctored with to ensure those three teams qualify (the top 4 ranked test teams will participate).

As cricket fans, we sure like to give it large to the BCCI, but the fact is that CA and the ECB are complicit and just as bad. The trio are destroying cricket at the expense of poor boards that are genuinely interested in test cricket, like South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand. Sri Lanka and West Indies are only interested in corruption and stealing money; and playing as much T20 league cricket as possible, respectively.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    I agree with the first part. ECB and ACB are just as bad, but do you really think that Saf and Pak don't have two of the most corrupt boards in world cricket? As for NZ, I missed their giving a crap about tests, cos they're the most aloof who accommodate tests to play 2020s
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 468
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Nice one Essex, after only qualifying as a third place team for the quarter finals Essex now join Surrey, Hampshire & Northants for the T20 finals day. Nice..
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Ian Bell you beautiful, beautiful beautiful human being.  He's having a series that is every bit as monumental as Cook's last time down under imho.  Not the same quantity of runs, but 3 match winning hundreds (well 2 so far, this one in all likelihood) and that is the true mark of the 'greatness' of an innings.  In contrast, Root's 180 was with his team already well in front and the Aussie bowlers all exhausted.  Bell has scored all of his runs to rescue his side from tricky situations, and completely wrested the momentum away from the Aussies.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    So with the series in the bag, will England rest any players/try out a few other options ahead of the winter.  I'm not a fan of trying things just 'because', but it seems prudent to rest a few players who look like they need it.  Anderson hasn't been the same bowler since Trent Bridge, and his fitness and form is vital for the trip Down Under this winter, would give him a break to try and relocate his spark - fast bouncy pitch at the Oval so play Tremlett.    I'd drop Bairstow, and pick Taylor instead - can't see this happening though, the England management love Bairstow. 

As for Australia, who knows.  Khawaja doesn't look test class in the long term in my view - his dismissal yesterday was crap, bowled round his legs in the previous test, and a rash shot (although admittedly victim of a DRS howler) as well in the first innings.  But who do you bring in... Hughes?  Watson's dismissal yesterday was as pathetically predictable as his review.  But he won't get dropped as he is the only all rounder.  Cowan hasn't scored any runs, neither is Wade exactly banging down the door.  Slim pickings indeed. 

Anyone know what Shaun Marsh is up to these days? 
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    So with the series in the bag, will England rest any players/try out a few other options ahead of the winter.  I'm not a fan of trying things just 'because', but it seems prudent to rest a few players who look like they need it.  Anderson hasn't been the same bowler since Trent Bridge, and his fitness and form is vital for the trip Down Under this winter, would give him a break to try and relocate his spark - fast bouncy pitch at the Oval so play Tremlett.    I'd drop Bairstow, and pick Taylor instead - can't see this happening though, the England management love Bairstow. 

As for Australia, who knows.  Khawaja doesn't look test class in the long term in my view - his dismissal yesterday was crap, bowled round his legs in the previous test, and a rash shot (although admittedly victim of a DRS howler) as well in the first innings.  But who do you bring in... Hughes?  Watson's dismissal yesterday was as pathetically predictable as his review.  But he won't get dropped as he is the only all rounder.  Cowan hasn't scored any runs, neither is Wade exactly banging down the door.  Slim pickings indeed. 

Anyone know what Shaun Marsh is up to these days?

at the pub or injured I guess

my guess cowan gets 1 last go at 3 , at least he will not throw his wicket away , I also think Paine will come in when the poms hit brisbane 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    English fans- Khawaja is a left handed, Australian-Pakistani version of Ian Bell. They've been plagued by the same problems early on in their career- lots of talent and technical skill, weakness against spin exacerbated by facing a world class spinner (Warne for Bell, Swann for Khawaja), loads of pressure on them, and finally, mental weakness. Both are linked by fear- Bell was extremely timid and nervous early on in his career, the same holds true for Usman. If he can get over his fear and play with some confidence, I think he'll finish his career with similar stats to Bell.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Ballance says, 'anything Taylor can do, I can do just as well...'  Currently 96 not out for the England Lions against the Aussies, and no doubt booking his place on the plane to Australia as I type.  Dare I suggest, that seeing as he plays for Yorkshire, this will automatically bump him ahead of Taylor in the pecking order as well?   :(
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    England squad for fifth test:  Cook, Root, Trott, KP, Bell, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn, Tremlett, Kerrigan, Woakes.

So the batting will stay the same, even though KP's fitness is a concern.  Tremlett or Finn to play, can't see them going for 2 spinners - even if the Oval is a dustbowl, and please, PLEASE, anyone but Woakes.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    We should make the return series in Australia fun by each team respectively selecting it's worst possible bowling attack. Australia:

Johnson
    Hilfenhaus
    Doherty
    Fawad Ahmed

England:
    Dernbach
    Woakes
    Onions
    Panesar

Clarke and Cook will probably average 300 each. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Only 1 more of these games to go and then the rest of the world can stop laughing at England and Australia.

Nah, there's still a handful of one day matches to get out of the way, then in November we do it all over again in Australia. :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Lovely to see Kerrigan in the team, that makes two Lanc boys in the England XI

I don't know about the persistence with Woakes, I would have picked Tremlett even if Woakes is more of a like for like replacement for Bresnan.

Watson at his most destructive is quite a sight to see and hopefully will spell good things for this finale, especially as I have tickets for tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing some proper cricket.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    I have been at the oval for today and yesterday (just arrived back now) and what can I say..

Today was boring, really boring England are just trying to survive nothing to catch the eye or suggest England are going for the win. Australia have bowled well especially Siddle and Harris but no aid from the pitch and so we remain as we have been.

Smith I rate highly a very good all round cricketer and Australia's batting seems to be finally coming together lots of chinks to iron out but at least they seem to have their Top 6 more or less sorted.

Unlucky for Simon Kerrigan but he will come back better and far stronger.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Kerrigan looked absolutely awful.

This has been a really poor series for the quality of cricket. Australia have been plain rubbish with the bat, England were better but were disappointingly  (and needlessly) defensive. I hope we see a better series in Australia. It doesn't even have to be competitive so long as both teams are playing attacking cricket and giving at least 90% of their max potential; neither of which was the case here.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    Bell, the Weather and crap over-rates won the series for England.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

froome19

• Classics Winner
    Kerrigan looked absolutely awful.

This has been a really poor series for the quality of cricket. Australia have been plain rubbish with the bat, England were better but were disappointingly  (and needlessly) defensive. I hope we see a better series in Australia. It doesn't even have to be competitive so long as both teams are playing attacking cricket and giving at least 90% of their max potential; neither of which was the case here.
    True. I think only one player from the England team averaged above 40, unless it changed after the 5th test.
    At one point Sky put up the stats given for the two teams on the screen and you had to guess which team belonged on which side. They had basically identical stats and the only thing which really stood out was the 5 fors which England were 6 - 3 in. Australia also had a dramatically higher run rate and matched England in a number of areas. I certainly felt they had played their way into this series and I think that hopefully will mean a much more combative and intriguing series in Aussie land. The pitches should also hopefully be more receptive and are apparently greener and will be provide much more of a contest

It was a shame about Kerrigan but he is young and his time will come. Nerves and inexperience didn't serve him well this time round. Woakes isn't bad, I wouldn't pick him as a bowler but he is handy as a batsmen and brings some nice balance to the team, as a batting allrounder he may have a future in the test team. Though I would have always picked Tremlett ahead of him and it is exciting to see him back in the England reckoning. It will be also interesting to see the batsmen England take to Australia.. there are some good batsmen on the county ciruit who deserve a chance with that one batting place already free in the team there is a lot to play for.

I know the fans get a refund for their ticket today but maybe they should have for yesterday

I loved this quotes from Faulkner and not only because I was there on Friday.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Clarke's captaincy, he was so much more inventive than Cook and always on the ball.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    Did find it amusing when Clarke was trying to set his field, that the Poms were booing for time wasting. What have England been doing for the last 3 tests. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    Bell, the Weather and crap over-rates won the series for England.
    All major factors agreed.

But you seem to have omitted the way Australia used their decision reviews - what was it? 2 out of the first 12 were successful; it's supposed to be for overturning umpires' howlers. And that Australia were crap at cricket.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner

But you seem to have omitted the way Australia used their decision reviews - what was it? 2 out of the first 12 were successful; it's supposed to be for overturning umpires' howlers. And that Australia were crap at cricket.
    Australia got better with the reviews as they went along, but they were already out of the running by then and so it didn't really factor. Whilst England started off using them well and kind of tailed off as the series went along.

Also England over the 5 test had less disastrous sessions than Australia did. They were just that bit more consistent and it was those disastrous sessions which lost the Aussies the series.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain

The first was most valid - omit Bell and replace him with another crabber (Compton) and the teams are very similar in the batting department.
    The second didn't really have that much affect, just 3-1 looks better than 3-0.
    The third was just bait. :lol (well it is very f.ing annoying too)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Re: Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1287 on: September 09, 2013, 22:37 »
    This ODI series could turn into a routing unless England and Morgan turn it around quickly.
    Our batting is capable, but Australia matches it easily and with Johnson bowling consistently over 90 mph in comparison to a trio of Finn, Stokes and Rankin well we don't have much hope. 
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    « Reply #1288 on: September 10, 2013, 12:57 »
    England's problem is they're picking four bowlers, then finding 10 overs from Bopara, Trott and Root. It doesn't help that one of those four bowlers is more of a batting all rounder than a third seamer.

You can't get away with that in limited overs cricket.  England must play four proper bowlers and one all rounder (or three and two respectively, though that's risky) because the batting is not strong enough to score or chase down 300+ regularly.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #1289 on: September 10, 2013, 14:51 »
    Quality umpiring over in Zimbabwe. Steve Davis has been getting basically every decision wrong.

Caught a post about Ajmal not being a chucker, or being a chucker somehow not diminishing his quality so I'll reply here. Chucktoo is the biggest bloody chucker in cricket at the moment. He's the worst since Murali and the next after him in internationals currently are Ojha (see, no bias. he's just a flipping chucker), Samuels, Shillingford, Williamson, Senenayake and even Utseya. It's against the rules if implemented without bias. Why is it against the rules? Well, otherwise one might as well baseball or javeline, which Chucky already does. Check how much more revs you can get on the ball by chucking. Pivoting the elbow aids in more stability of hand and more revs than the shoulder.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 15:03 by multiidfarknugget »