2 (25%)
Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

42x16ss

• Domestique
  • Liked: 380
  • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
Disappointing that Smith is ending his career with a whimper rather than a bang. Unfortunately the last year or two he's been a shadow of his former self. Johnson and Harris seem to be exposing some flaws that weren't there a few years back. He's been a very good captain and excellent opening bat for SA.

Who would be first in line to replace him as captain? De Villiers?
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Tbh, South Africa aren't winning from here.

*Sobs into pillow*
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Who would be first in line to replace him as captain? De Villiers?

Seems the logical choice
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Thought he had more, but 11 years as captain must've taken its toll.

Yeah, and I guess starting at such a young age?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    I assume AB takes over and stops keeping ?
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    De Kock to keeper?
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    Didn't Swann announce his retirement mid-game too?

Don't understand that. Pre-match or Post-match, not on Day 3 of a deciding series when you still have to go out to bat
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Yes, it is a bit dodge hey? And also, it was late-ish last night, I think 22.30 pm our side
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    Yeah, gotta be honest when reading it this morning I thought you were joking when you posted that tweet. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    So, anyone seen Kabloey lately? :D
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    So, anyone seen Kabloey lately? :D

Yo yo yo :nuts :D I was talking Sailing & Economics 101 with my mentor
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Congratulations, Awstrayleeah :P
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Good match, definitely not great. One side bossed it, deserved it, nice battle by SA in the second innings.

If you thought Smith's retirement timing was weird, just check Chappell, Lillee and Marsh's.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    I think if you retire (announce it) mid-game then your mind isn't really in it to begin with (that game).

Probably always wanted to end it at Newlands and couldn't see himself last til the next test there.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Check the example. It was against Pakistan in 84.

His mind wasn't completely on the game, otherwise he wouldn't have retired at all. Family played a role. Maybe the timing was a final motivational tool, maybe sick of press conferences with some sections of the media (and public) that never embraced him as much as some of his predecessors, maybe he wasn't in it. We'll have to wait for him to explain.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    South African sport fans can be real c*nts, very hard on sports figures, I feel for Smith

*Awwwwww* http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/AustraliaTourSA/Twitter-world-rises-to-Biff-20140304
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Bit of a blow for England as the Rootster had been in terrific nick. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/26475074

Unclear on his status for the World T20, he isn't the world's best T20 player, but if he plays the way he has been so far in this series then it will be a blow to England's chances.

In other news, Parry surely is over rated. Only plays for Lancs in limited overs and is pretty good, but nothing which made me stand out and say this lad is international quality. Still he deserves his chance and he started off pretty well, he will have more than a good chance to show his capabilities in Bangladesh/Windies.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    Absolutely brilliant goings on over in Bangladesh.
    Sri Lanka batted well, some of old timers went well.. but then carnage ensued in the form of Alex Hales.

With his place under thread, he stepped up to the plate and absolutely demolished the Sri Lankan attack, becoming the first T20 centurion for England, not to mention only the 11th International centurion ever. His strikes were effortless, but also combined that with lovely timing. He promises so much but his consistency needs to be improved vastly. It is that consistency which is why he has struggled so 'consistently' in the longer formats of the game.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    England's management must be the only people in the world who rate Jade Dernbach as worthy of playing cricket.

Worst economy rate in 2020s for a bowler with 300 deliveries
    Worst economy rate in ODIs for a bowler with 1000 deliveries

well played that man. Blagged a career, much like his coach to be.

Quote from: Nass
    It's the right call to bring on Bresnan [for the final over of the innings] in so much as that it's not Dernbach.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    The IPL is killing my existence.

I'm looking forward to the Australian 'world number 1!' train being comprehensively derailed by Saeed Ajmal and friends in October. Then built up again when India tour in the summer. Sadly all it takes to be rated in the modern era of test cricket is to sweep aside incompetent opposition at home and show up once in a while away from home. South Africa of course were an exception, but they're not going to be anywhere near as effective with their two most experienced players gone.

Take England, who have the simple task of seven home tests against Sri Lanka and India respectively. If they don't win at least four of those then they may as well give up, resigned to a 1990s style decline to mediocrity. If you can't win comfortably at home, especially against teams that traditionally struggle away from home, then you're in trouble.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

froome19

• Classics Winner
    Lol, lets just say rather than having a revision timetable for my exams, I have taken to producing an IPL watching timetable. Epic tournament...

Currently the Top 3 seem like they will remain so, however the race fourth looks to be heading for a really tight finish.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Fair play if you like it, but for me, it's irritating to see international cricket halted for two months or however long. That it's a domestic competition makes it worse, if there was some kind of cricket-wide off season like there is in cycling I wouldn't find it as hard to stomach. The idea of domestic cricket taking precedence over internationals is what I find so alien and so unacceptable.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    It's also hard to get into the IPL. I might be half-Indian but I feel no connection to any of the franchises. I also can't get behind the Sydney Whoevers (Sixers, is it?) in the BBL. I do have a few domestic teams that I like, but they're proper cricket clubs/associations rather than franchises, such as Surrey in the County Championship and New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield. T20 franchises seem to me to be largely commercial entities rather than cricket clubs, I want to be a fan, not a 'customer'.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    Oh dear England. Rolled for 99 and not a Mitchell in sight :D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Much better by England.
    They backed up a super strong batting performance with a solid performance with the ball. Anderson was at his best, Broad bowled well, Woakes was impressive, though Jordan was poor and inconsistent.

This should be their test match to lose but a lot will depend on whether India manage to escape a follow on. If they do then they would fancy drawing this game.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    2014 India are even worse than 2011 India. It's going to be some lions against Christians stuff later this year, when Johnson and friends have a crack at the batsmen.

Everything in Indian cricket is rotten at the moment, with the puzzling exception of MS Dhoni.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 468
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner

42x16ss

• Domestique
    Re: Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1437 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30711150

Nice, very nice :cool :cool

Michael Carberry also had an excellent innings for Perth last night, smashing 77 off 37 after a slow start. Some incredible hitting  :o
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #1438 on: January 09, 2015, 01:28 »
    2014 India are even worse than 2011 India. It's going to be some lions against Christians stuff later this year, when Johnson and friends have a crack at the batsmen.

Everything in Indian cricket is rotten at the moment, with the puzzling exception of MS Dhoni.

India have held their own with the bat so far, Kohli has been exceptional but plenty of others have chipped in even if the tail has been very weak.

The big issue with India atm is taking 20 wickets. Sharma has been too erratic at times and nobody else really looks dangerous. It's a pity because they've shown some flaws in the Aussies at times. Also, the fielding has been horrendous overall, especially India's catching.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1439 on: January 09, 2015, 12:32 »
    Michael Carberry also had an excellent innings for Perth last night, smashing 77 off 37 after a slow start. Some incredible hitting  :o

Caught the highlights, absolutely cracking innings. Unfortunately he's replicating some of his old English T20 form which he's never really shown, or had much chance to show, on the international stage.
    Having said that, the bowling was pretty ordinary at times, particularly from Flintoff.
    Love the journey that Carberry has made from defensive First Class opener to destructive T20 smasher.

English players lighting up the BB at the moment  :cool
  • ReplyReply

•