1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
« Reply #1440 on: January 12, 2015, 14:44 »
Yes, funnily enough it is the BBL which appears to be convincing the English Media that they need a Franchise based T20 tournament, due to the English players performances. Whether a Franchise tournament would benefit performance and counties is irrelevant. The financial benefits and popularity to me outweighs anything else.

Carberry has always been pretty destructive. He played a devastating innings to beat Lancs a while back.

I do find it interesting that Australia are playing a series at the same time as the BBL. That would never happen with India & the IPL, so the BBL hasn't made it just yet but it is well on its well.

The Indians overseas just can't bowl. As Dravid correctly says their batting has potential and ability, but their fast bowling in particular is simply not good enough for a side aiming to be amongst the best in test cricket. Their batting does show promise, despite the many holes which exist. Rahul played a good century, Vijay looks good, Sharma is good if inconsistent and if Kohli can find consistency he can become a great.

And to the world cup..

England appear to be picking Bell over Hales, which is understandable as if Hales isn't in form then his place simply isn't justified and his batting in the BBL suggests he isn't in form. My big worry is over Morgan he simply appears in woeful form and his place must surely come under scrutiny, which won't help the side seeing as he has just been made captain. The bowlers aren't faring too bad. One of Woakes, Finn and Jordan will join Anderson and Broad, and at the moment I feel it might just be Woakes due to his reliability and his batting. Jordan's poor bowling yesterday certainly didn't help his cause and he will need a masterful performance against the PMXI to salvage his place.

The Windies batting is very strong, if weakened by their ridiculous insistence to leave out Bravo and Pollard. Yet their destructive capacity may also leave them prone to batting collapses and I really don't fancy their bowling attack. The South Africans also have a very well balanced batting attack led by De Villiers who is absolutely unbelievable. If they can get players like Miller and Du Plessis into form they will be very hard to beat. Similar to Australia who will want their big game players such as Finch and Maxwell to fire, though their bowling attack looks very solid as well, though Johnson I have a feeling will sorely disappoint.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 867
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1441 on: January 22, 2015, 21:27 »
    I'm so so glad that Finn has come back into some form, always rated that guy.

I think we've actually got half a decent chance, as long as Jordan isn't playing. We've got good fast bowlers who are used to Australian conditions and some proper batsmen who have the potential to be destructive. As ever with England, reaching that potential is probably going to be the struggle.

Can't see the Windies doing too well here, or India, because of their bowling attacks. I actually think New Zealand have got a really good chance, they always do quite well and McCullum just looks unstoppable.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1442 on: January 28, 2015, 18:39 »
    The Windies batting has the potential to launch an all out assault and destroy bowling attacks, but it is unlikely and they have some weak links as well. However, after the group stages a team is only 3 wins away from the trophy and so who knows?

Without Narine now..they'll be up against it just to make it out of their group though.

England are looking slightly better at the moment, however I don't see them coming close to a fully fit and raring to go first choice Australian Eleven.

In other news, Yorkshire made two big money signings today. Finch & Maxwell are inconsistent but when they come good, they are very good.
    The BBL4 was also a huge success and a dramatic, nail biting finale was the perfect way to cap it all off.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 867
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1443 on: January 28, 2015, 19:35 »
    There's been some phenomenal finishes in the BBL this year - IMO it's looked miles better than the IPL for drama.

Great news for Yorkshire, even if they are only there for when all the young Yorkshire lads head off to play for England  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1444 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03 »
    I dont usually watch cricket - but last nights game was a great advertisement for the game.

It was very entertaining indeed
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #1445 on: February 15, 2015, 21:14 »
    Come on Ireland!
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 372
    • Awards: 2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction ChampSpring Classics Prediction Champ2014, 2015, 2017 Official Prediction Game Champ
    « Reply #1446 on: February 16, 2015, 05:46 »
    A very nice win fir Ireland, well done  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    :bump

England   :p
    Really unimpressed...
    The openers look awful, lacking any semblance of confidence.
    This should be a stroll, take a look at the averages of the WI batsmen, a ranking of 8th in the world..
    If we can't successfully take apart WI, we have no chance against NZ, Aus and SA..

Anyways over in India, it is IPL time :cheer
    Some terrific cricket, bowling, batting, uncovering stars.
    Kings XI struggling, their batting isn't coming off, whilst Delhi seem to be piecing themselves together thanks to their threesome of super spinners. Watch out for Shreyas Iyer, he has got quality. Still I think Yuvraj needs to be playing proper match winnings innings to be justifying his price tag. Rajahstahn has been terrific, a very balanced team. CSK looking their usual selves with that fearsome opening duo and firepower below. Nehra has been fantastic as well. Hyderebad need to sort themselves out, dropping Williamson after one innings at 3 :fp

Morgan isn't in great form, though nice to see at least one Englishmen, Ravi, playing decently. Though the Indians seem to think he is one of their own..Dropping Steyn, then dropping Boult... Can't imagine who decided Dave Warner should be captain. Mumbai are a train wreck, their Indian batsmen are way below par atm, bar Rohit who is keeping them afloat. Their spinners aren't what they used to be, Maligna isn't either. They need to change round their overseas players and refresh their bowling attack asap..
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    If we lose to this shower...said the Irishman.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Good innings by your countryman today LaVelo. Morgan finally came into his own.

Will be exciting to see the Ireland game, when I originally heard of it I wasn't impressed. Whats the point of calling them England when it is not England? But the more I think about it the more excited I am to see a new look England team, playing against a tough to beat Irish team..
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    Embarrassed ourselves a bit there, glad it was rained off!
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction ChampSpring Classics Prediction Champ2014, 2015, 2017 Official Prediction Game Champ
    « Reply #1451 on: October 25, 2016, 10:45 »
    England better get Hameed opening for the second test in Bangladesh. No point in not playing him before we go to India and get A 5/0 thrashing.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1452 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42 »
    So the 19 yr old Hameed has made his test debut in India. Not a bad start looks very useful.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    Rabada must be gutted to be missing the 2nd test for the Saffers. Plenty of wickets to be taken.

England getting well rolled over
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1454 on: September 15, 2017, 20:32 »
    Essex win the County Championship  :cool :cool :cool :s :s ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1455 on: December 05, 2017, 13:16 »
    Very good days work by England in the 2nd Ashes test.
    Would love to see us hang in there tomorrow and knock that smug smile of Smiths highly slapable face.
    Should of enforced the follow on  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    Very good days work by England in the 2nd Ashes test.
    Would love to see us hang in there tomorrow and knock that smug smile of Smiths highly slapable face.
    Should of enforced the follow on  :lol

Well Smith has well and truly had that smug smile knocked of his face now. Ball tampering and all he gets is a one match ban, that stinks.
    Someone better investigate the last Ashes series because the Aussies were very good at swinging the ball when we couldn't, guess we may know why now.
    Time will tell.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    smith needs to go just for sheer studpidity.

Actually the overall feeling here in Aus is one of real outrage and disbelief.  The ICC were always going to treat it with a wet lettuce leaf,  but Cricket Australia will have to do something - if only to appease the Australian fans.  The Australian Captain hatched a premeditated plan to cheat ... there is no other way to look at it.

I think Smith and Warner will lose their captaincy, and there is a good chance Lehman will go as well.  They will give the job to Justin Langer.

Not just this incident but the overwhelming feeling is one of a 'boys club' and disrespect ... the sledging stuff, the general laddish behaviour, Warner in general ... its not a good look for cricket.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    Smith was only ever going to get 1 match - Faf Du Plessis only got 1 match and so have a few others in the past ...

I am surprised that Bancroft didnt get the full 4 points

Ball tampering is just not seen in that way by the ICC.  I dont know why not ... but its not.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    Really touched by Jim maxwell and pm’s statement - I have greatest admiration for smith but this is awful - CA will issue really significant ban surely - a year ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 980
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Going to stick my boot into the general Australian reaction and outrage, a bit. Find it a massive overreaction. Turnbull has a Barnaby Joyce sized fire that he has to put out before commenting on this, for example.

As for Smith, from what we saw with the DRS referral referral, he's proved that he's prone to cheating. When Kohli pointed it out, Kohli was panned by the media as a sook, not Smith for evidently cheating the system. Admittedly, I still think Kohli is an arse. This isn't out of the norm for Smith.

As for ball tampering itself, I'm going to say with how important reverse swing is, it's likely to be epidemic till someone gets caught. And I don't buy for a second that this is the first time. In fact, Sri Lanka's manager had accused Siddle of ball tampering a while ago.

As for the high horse about not tolerating such nonsense is in itself, I find, a big load of nonsense. Warne, Waugh and JtB's pitch information, and their subsequent pee weak "admission/suspension" was one of the most suspect things in the 90s, which were generally horribly questionable.

But I have no iota of pity for this team, the absolute rubbish that they've spewed about the "line" and its crossing means that they deserve every bit that they get. Lehmann campaigned for broad to be sent home crying. Lyon promised to "end careers", Clarke and broken arm... The line isn't where the Australian cricket team sets it.

Most importantly, these whiny cry babies have taken the attention of the cricket world away from the travesty of the 2019 world cup format and the repercussions it is likely to have on a multitude of associate and less established nations.

</diatribe>
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1442
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .

</diatribe>

The whole read was enjoyable - got a few chuckles. But I especially like that ending bit. Gonna use that myself sometime. Thanks!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

froome19

• Classics Winner
    Yep, the sheer outrage I find rather frustrating, this thing surely happens rather frequently, we've been hearing tidbits of ball tampering accusations for years now; Pakistan, Du Plessis, Anderson etc. To think that primarily they caught Bancroft due to the cameras and think about all the domestic games which do not pose the threat of cameras.. Of course its wrong and should be dealt with accordingly, but open your eyes..

The Aussie public are going to take it hard and to some degree deservedly so as the perception (or at least from what I have gathered) of the Aussie team as a morally superior team has always been a clearly skewed one.  Though personally, I hope Smith and Warner come out of this more or less intact as they are two terrific players.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    this is a fairly reasonable article

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22916100/why-australia-outraged-steven-smith-team

The Australian Cricket team has been pushing the boundaries of what is considered acceptable for a long time now.  The level of sledging and general bad behaviour has gone to extreme levels - and the fact that they ask for the field mikes to be muted between balls this Tour showed pretty clearly that the onslaught was premeditated and acceptable by the coach/leaders etc - which wasnt taken well.   

And then had the audacity to complain that de Kok said something about Warners wife.  The hypocrisy of them is just mind blowing.

But what is essentially a team-wide, coach led intentional practice - even if its ball tampering which is done by everyone and considered not that big a deal by all - isnt good.  It isnt acceptable to Australians who dont necessarily watch cricket and understand ...

They see it as a team who condones - indeed plans - cheating.  That it is very obviously not the first time, and the sheer stupidity and arrogance of expecting to admit it was a team led thing, but dont worry - we will learn from it.  :fp   

Australians are embarrassed .. and that isnt going to go away.

Lehman was planning on stepping down after the next world cup anyway - so will likely resign.  In fact I wouldnt be surprised if he announces it today.

Smith has already been replaced as captain if his IPL team - a team who is just coming back from 2 years of suspension for match fixing!!!   

Smith and Warner will be stripped of captaincy for certain - and possibly face bans from cricket. Smith especially will lose millions in sponsorship (Warner not so much because no one likes him anyway :D )

to anyone with any idea about cricket its a massive over reaction - but to the general public its almost not enough.   He will be forgiven eventually  (I mean, we forgave Warne who had dealings with a bookie AND took PED's) ... but it will take time.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    read this in one of the comments

Credit where credit is due, has any nation in the history of world cricket ever trolled Australia quite as effectively as the South Africa have this past month? They've flogged us to pieces on the scoreboard, sledged us to the point of incoherent rage on and off the field, and somehow managed to get the captain to completely trash his and the coaches reputation beyond the point of no return.

With carefully directed effort and some judicious application to mental pressure points delivered under cover of those idiotic sounding accents, they have somehow presided over the total obliteration of Australian cricket.

Well played saffers, well played.

:lol 
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Hoisted on their own petard.

THen again, finding it difficult to muster any emotion today for multi paragraph crapulence. Overnight, I've learnt that a sailor in the Volvo Ocean Race from Scallywag fell overboard in the Southern Ocean and things are looking quite grim with the nearest possible help being 400 miles away. Just hope that there's a miracle in the seas. What a leveller.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    I cannot believe that the beeb employ the services of serial rent a quote Michael Vaughan; as soon as I heard his voice on the radio last night I knew that he would claim the ashes were tainted by similar antics.  How typically Vaughan to try to undermine the 4-0 mauling with some unsubstantiated drivel about Australia's mystery mastery of reverse swing during the series.  He really is completely beyond belief, as he is a serial offender in these 'wise after the event' sound bite salvo's and enough really is enough.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:16 by Servais Knavendish »

AG

• Monument Winner
    Hoisted on their own petard.

THen again, finding it difficult to muster any emotion today for multi paragraph crapulence. Overnight, I've learnt that a sailor in the Volvo Ocean Race from Scallywag fell overboard in the Southern Ocean and things are looking quite grim with the nearest possible help being 400 miles away. Just hope that there's a miracle in the seas. What a leveller.

sadly - no miracle  :( 
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Yeah, been following it. Horrible news. And there was a warning shot when they had a man overboard (Alex Gough) in the leg to Hong Kong as well. Turn around time of 7 minutes to save the man overboard then; unfortunately, the Southern Ocean....

Absolutely gutting. To think that they had a turn around and a half since drafting in Libby Greenhalgh
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    Essex win the County Championship  :cool :cool :cool :s :s ;)

And the 2018 Championship begins tomorrow,  first game Yorkshire away, weather wants to warm up and brighten up it's bloody cold still.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts