Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

sublimit

• National Champion
  • Liked: 159
Re: Cricket- Mini Curry v Pommy
« Reply #810 on: December 14, 2012, 11:47 »
Tendulkar came in as nightwitchman.   :-[      He's making Ian Bell look competent at the minute if thats at all possible. 
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #811 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54 »
    Anderson, different gravy to anyone else in this match.  Pretty much anyone else in the world apart from Steyn.  God help us should he ever get injured...
    Or go back to playing like he was against SA.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Cricket- Mini Curry v Pommy
    « Reply #812 on: December 14, 2012, 13:24 »
    Dammit :-(
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

ram

« Reply #813 on: December 14, 2012, 14:46 »
    India won!

The blind 2020 world cup final against Pakistan. Top effort by our lot. Pakistan were definite favourites there.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #814 on: December 14, 2012, 17:42 »
    With plastic balls and rattles in them. Underarm toss, which was technically legal in normal cricket till Trevor Chappell.

There are three categories of blindness- B1, B2, B3. B3 is extremely fuzzy vision. B2 is nearly no sight and B1 is completely blind. Runs scored by B1 category batsmen count for double. Them succeeding is the jackpot.

I know that both Nathan Bracken and Michael Lumb have had simulated goes on blind cricket (specially designed eyewear to simulate blindness) and both struggled miserably in the B1 category.

Best bit was that the attendance for the final was 4000. Stunning effort.

Ian Bell would fit in well in the Vanuatu u15 hermaphrodite team.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #815 on: December 14, 2012, 23:19 »
    Brilliant article (I think...) on the all too painful reality of Indian selection.  Ram, read it and seethe...  ;)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/597140.html

Funny because it's true?
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

ram

« Reply #816 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38 »
    Brilliant article (I think...) on the all too painful reality of Indian selection.  Ram, read it and seethe...  ;)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/597140.html

Funny because it's true?
    Already said that Rahane or Tiwary need to be there, Bist should be the next cab off the rack. But I have a hard time taking the author of this article seriously.

Tiwary even scored a shed load against this England team in the warm up match. But hey, we have Yuvraj and Raina :win
    That was a nice read.

Now I have 2 questions but maybe 1 answer will do, so if any cricket expert can help that will be great.

I sort of understand the run-out thing, like I knew Cook was out the other match because he wasn't in the 'safe area'(not the cricket term, but I don't know the cricket name for it), I'm also aware that if a batsmen was trying to score 2 runs and on the 2nd run the ball got to the wickets and hit them before he was in the safe area, he's out. But what happens when both batsmen are in the middle of the pitch and the ball hits the wicket at one end, how do they decide who's out? Is it the guy who's closet to the broken wickets/batsmen decide/bowling team decide/umpire decides?

Also I saw Warner get out yesterday, he hit the ball the other batsmen ran and was almost at the other end, the ball was thrown to the bowling end and then Warner started to run but was miles out. Did he/does he have to run because the other batter was running?
    It's happened. What happens is, it depends on if the batsmen cross each other. So a batsman hits the ball and sets off, misunderstanding and so. Throw comes to the non striker's end, but the striker has already passed the non striker when the non striker decides to turn back. The striker has crossed and if the stumps at the non striker's gets broken, then the striker is out even if both run to the same end.

If there is no crossing (not just reaching the same point but actually passing each other), then the guy who is coming from that end gets out. As well as I can put it, and it's vague.

Sometimes it gets proper difficult, like this-

The wicket has fallen, but who? In this case, the striker reached the stumps barely before Shiv. Thereby Shiv gets out. If Shiv had been barely faster with the grounding of his bat, he's safe.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #817 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32 »
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

What's up?

:-D I'm going to wait 'til I'm back home and can use the appropriate emoticons to properly respond to this post B-Bop..
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #818 on: December 15, 2012, 07:59 »
    That was a nice read.

Now I have 2 questions but maybe 1 answer will do, so if any cricket expert can help that will be great.

I sort of understand the run-out thing, like I knew Cook was out the other match because he wasn't in the 'safe area'(not the cricket term, but I don't know the cricket name for it), I'm also aware that if a batsmen was trying to score 2 runs and on the 2nd run the ball got to the wickets and hit them before he was in the safe area, he's out. But what happens when both batsmen are in the middle of the pitch and the ball hits the wicket at one end, how do they decide who's out? Is it the guy who's closet to the broken wickets/batsmen decide/bowling team decide/umpire decides?

Also I saw Warner get out yesterday, he hit the ball the other batsmen ran and was almost at the other end, the ball was thrown to the bowling end and then Warner started to run but was miles out. Did he/does he have to run because the other batter was running?

What Ram said.  Only thing I would add - if one of the batsman starts running, the other one has no obligation to leave their crease (safe area) if they think it is a crazy run.  So if the ball had gone straight to a fielder, and therefore they know they will be run out, they can just stay still. 

If in doubt on the rules, this is always the fall back  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #819 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03 »
    I'm only following via cricket app & bit of Twitter, unfortunately, but yay India :-)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #820 on: December 15, 2012, 11:20 »
    Yep, it's a pitch where one can stay in but it isn't one where one scores freely. Gambhir tried to force the issue and paid for it, Dhoni and Kohli barely took half a risk and were rewarded. Root yesterday was similar.

Good day, England barely ahead because of the series scoreline.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #821 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32 »
    I thought it was too slow and low to be a good pitch originally. But I was wrong, it seems a good pitch that rewards good bowling and good batting. It hasn't been easy to take wickets, India struggled and England today too. As long as it facilitates a good match, eh? Won't draw in non cricket fans though, 2 an over cricket.

I also believe that a bowling friendly pitch isn't bad, not nearly as bad as a batting paradise.

flipping tablet....typing's an arse.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #822 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44 »
    Aye, and test cricket is grouse as.

Except if you're Lankan, tests in 2013 for them will be even more pathetic. At least we play test cricket.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #823 on: December 15, 2012, 12:47 »
    What do you expect the outcome to be Ramses?
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #824 on: December 15, 2012, 13:04 »
    With plastic balls and rattles in them. Underarm toss, which was technically legal in normal cricket till Trevor Chappell.

There are three categories of blindness- B1, B2, B3. B3 is extremely fuzzy vision. B2 is nearly no sight and B1 is completely blind. Runs scored by B1 category batsmen count for double. Them succeeding is the jackpot.

I know that both Nathan Bracken and Michael Lumb have had simulated goes on blind cricket (specially designed eyewear to simulate blindness) and both struggled miserably in the B1 category.

Best bit was that the attendance for the final was 4000. Stunning effort.

Ian Bell would fit in well in the Vanuatu u15 hermaphrodite team.

Ian Bell would be a dedicated nightwitchman for the worst ever scoring club B3 team in blind cricket probably. 

I hope to flip he never takes up umpiring.

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #825 on: December 15, 2012, 13:11 »
    Sagacity. Nightwitchman in the Worst club's U15 blind hermaphrodite eleven... with some trepidation.

Each blind team is made is made of B1, B2 and B3 players (4 B1 players are compulsory)

What do you expect the outcome to be Ramses?
    Don't know. Too close to call now, but if England bat well the match will be a draw. They don't need to force the result.

I say it'll be a draw, without any certainty.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #826 on: December 15, 2012, 13:22 »
    I say it'll be a draw, without any certainty.

Okees thanks
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 468
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #827 on: December 15, 2012, 14:46 »
    I thought it was too slow and low to be a good pitch originally. But I was wrong, it seems a good pitch that rewards good bowling and good batting. It hasn't been easy to take wickets, India struggled and England today too. As long as it facilitates a good match, eh? Won't draw in non cricket fans though, 2 an over cricket.

I also believe that a bowling friendly pitch isn't bad, not nearly as bad as a batting paradise.

Agree with all that ram, India are due a good bowling session & who knows could be tommorow
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #828 on: December 15, 2012, 14:52 »
    I so hope you're true, Arch. Won't be holding my breath though. I think Compton and Cook will handle the pitch better second time around. Our lot will need to be good.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #829 on: December 15, 2012, 14:55 »
    Ram, is this a good test match wicket or does it favor the bowlers a bit more than the batters?

For my money, not a good test wicket.  It is too dead - hard to score on I like, but not like this.  And there is absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers, no bounce, no pace, no spin, very little sideways movement.  It may yet come to life in the last two days, but so far, I don't think it has been conducive to good cricket.  You want to encourage attacking cricket - both with the ball and the bat, and on this wicket, that isn't really possible.  Any batsman who has tried to up the pace has got themselves out, and off the quick bowlers, having a slip is virtually redundant because the pitch is so slow that they'd have to be standing in the batsman's pocket for the edge to carry to them.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 468
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #830 on: December 15, 2012, 14:57 »
    Need to import some good Essex loam ;D ;D
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #831 on: December 15, 2012, 15:10 »
    For my money, not a good test wicket.  It is too dead - hard to score on I like, but not like this.  And there is absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers, no bounce, no pace, no spin, very little sideways movement.  It may yet come to life in the last two days, but so far, I don't think it has been conducive to good cricket.  You want to encourage attacking cricket - both with the ball and the bat, and on this wicket, that isn't really possible.  Any batsman who has tried to up the pace has got themselves out, and off the quick bowlers, having a slip is virtually redundant because the pitch is so slow that they'd have to be standing in the batsman's pocket for the edge to carry to them.
    It won't come to life, that's one thing I can guarantee. It'll only go lower and lower bounce wise.

I like different pitches (as long as they're not flat nothing pitches), and touring is about adjusting to conditions. That's where this England is in stark contrast to the soft 90s teams.

It's attritional, no doubt, but some of the best tests were battles of attrition in the past, and Jimmy and Ishant showed that fast bowlers can take wickets if the bowl straight.

Speaking of pockets... where is the video of Trott taking a catch in his pocket for Warwickshire?
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #832 on: December 15, 2012, 15:12 »
    I so hope you're true, Arch. Won't be holding my breath though. I think Compton and Cook will handle the pitch better second time around. Our lot will need to be good.

I'm kind of glad that there's no review system, that makes the draw a bit more likely.        Pietersen gets frustrated on these pitches and field placings, Bell is useless apart from being good at leaving his teamates in the sh*t,  that leaves 4 batters and Prior that can hold on.   Bresnan can hold a bat sometimes but India have a decent chance for me.

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #833 on: December 15, 2012, 15:18 »
    Yeah, but England have had four batsmen (with Prior) all series and see where that's left us. KP showed immense patience in the first innings though. Can't write him off after that.

We're getting more and more fliped each time I think of the English team. But agreed, it's still pretty even. We could yet win.....jebus
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #834 on: December 15, 2012, 15:36 »
    Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Pietersen,    but so often he throws it away.   
    he has it in him to play the long attacking innings but defending for a long period on a slowish pitch he could find it difficult if it comes to that.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #835 on: December 15, 2012, 15:54 »
    Understandable though, even though I saw Dhoni bat patiently today, I'd not be willing to say he'll do likewise in the next innings (not that Dhoni's anywhere near KP's calibre).

Aye, it's pretty much his worst type of pitch.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #836 on: December 15, 2012, 16:46 »
    Bresnan has now bowled 448 deliveries in Test cricket since he last took a wicket.  His bowling average for the year is over 55, and his batting average for the year is 17.14.  WHY THE HELL IS HE ANYWHERE NEAR THE TEAM?!?!  Only explanation I can see as to why Onions can't get a game is that he must have done something to p*ss off Flower   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #837 on: December 15, 2012, 17:40 »

New one? What you get?
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #838 on: December 15, 2012, 17:41 »
    Dammit you guys are typing good stuff & my stoopid signal so crap VR keeps cutting out - loads homework for when I'm back :-P
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #839 on: December 15, 2012, 18:22 »
    Ha ha what is THIS ??? "@firstpostin: India win men’s world kabaddi final http://t.co/QtOvdn9r"
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 19, 2020, 20:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Joelsim
    [January 19, 2020, 14:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 19, 2020, 13:54]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 19, 2020, 13:25]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by search