Failed Professor Buchanan
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 108
Re: Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
« Reply #1080 on: January 30, 2013, 07:14 »
BCCI covering themselves in glory yet again... Seems that in some parts of the globe, women's cricket suffers as much as women's cycling.  Because it is so professionally run in this country, it's quite illuminating to read such a damning report from a country that has such an outstanding cricketing history.  Sad really  :(
http://www.espncricinfo.com/women/content/story/602643.html
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

ram

« Reply #1081 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37 »
    BCCI covering themselves in glory yet again... Seems that in some parts of the globe, women's cricket suffers as much as women's cycling.  Because it is so professionally run in this country, it's quite illuminating to read such a damning report from a country that has such an outstanding cricketing history.  Sad really  :(
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/women/content/story/602643.html
    Why BCCI specific? I ask, which cricket board apart from the ECB has done anything out of its way to support women's cricket? Women's cricket in England isn't professional btw. It's still semi professional. And outside the XV in the England team, you'd see the same exist in England. Can't make a living from women's cricket.

It's not a charity, you can only spend the money raised. Women's cricket in England has Sky's backing. In every other country, it lives on its own. There's a small market for the Southern stars (as they're called) and 9. There's nothing else. Why? Simple question, what's the fastest ball a woman has ever bowled? If you thought 90mph, it's not correct, it's actually something like 128-130kmph. The fastest. The hits are shorter and the cricket too attritional to evince interest for those don't GAF otherwise. It's a rare Claire Taylor, Shelly Nitschke or Charlotte Edwards who're actually able to hit a ball hard. The quality is lower, and I love me some Lottie. A class act if any around.

About the tests, guess how many tests in a women's Ashes series? And how many tests played by England or Australia or any other country apart from the Ashes? If you thought a one off Ashes test, you thought correct. If you thought no other test apart from the Ashes, you'd be correct again. This is a direct result of 2020 cricket and the exposure gained there as compared to tests.

That "Ranji match" that's was accommodated for the World cup was in fact the final of the Ranji trophy. A completely inconsequential match eh. Mumbai were the home team, all of their stadia are being used in the Women's world cup. The women are actually now getting the best facilities instead of some New Road equivalent stadium which they'd have received earlier.

Women's cricketers are far better than their cycling counterparts imo because they don't do these whinge pieces regularly. Last year, Charlotte Edwards (if ever I had a favourite) was asked about the possibility of equal prize money for men and women. She rebutted it saying that the two can't be compared and that she was pleased just winning for her team, and indeed it can't. There's just not enough of a market for it. But that'd not stop me from cheering on when she's batting.

Fact is that since the ICC has played women's T20 world cup alongside with men's the exposure is far more than any women's tournament has ever gotten before this.

No, women can't make a living solely from cricket. Even Claire Taylor, a Wisden cricketer of the year in 2009 no less, had a desk job. And any woman cricketer pre mid noughties from any country needed a day job. Fred Trueman had a day job too. But in India, apart from cricket and hockey and to a lesser extent football, nobody can make a living from sport.

Rs2500 for a women's FC match, yeah it could, and possibly should, be increased. But it's not specific to one country and it's not inexplicable (unexplainable type inexplicable). Can only earn the money raised.

No crystal balls, but my prediction is England vs Australia in the final. India and NZ being the two in the semis and Lanka and WI in the super sixes. Pakistan and South Africa being eliminated
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:50 by ram »

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50 »
    What's so wrong with a good whinge, though? Stiff upper lip? No, if something bugs, say so.
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

ram

« Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12 »
    She talks about cricket in her time. A time just a few years after DK Lillee was paid pittance (some 30 Aussie Dollars for a day of test cricket) while being the greatest fast bowler then. That's Lillee, an all time great to boot who earned nothing then. Times have changed. India once had a population of less than 200 million, that's not relevant now.

I can write an article like that for every single sport in India, men or women. Do we see whinge pieces from cricketers from Tripura? Or Assam? Or how Indian sprinters have a govt job to support them and are part time? I'm actually pleasantly surprised that women's FC cricketers have a match fee (the state boards aren't rich btw, that's only the BCCI and they'll support the women's national team alone). The ECB only introduced that in 2011 for their internationals.

Can't just click the fingers and expect a golden lamp to fall on the lap. Takes time, and flipping hell you'd be mental to say that it hasn't improved for women cricketers.

Whinging serves no purpose. If anything, it detracts from the interest.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1084 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12 »
    Ok, I do see what you're saying, but how can anything be done about it if people don't speak about it? Let me put it this way, if situations are much improved, how did that come about? Surely a whinge or two must have precipitated that?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1085 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53 »
    Making the sport professional? Compare women's cricket from pre 98 to now, you'd see immediately how far it's come. It can only grow and professionalise at a pace that the demand suits. Blaming BCCI for giving Rs2500 a match? They don't pay the wages domestically. They could get a bit more, but again demand...

Why did I pose so many questions about women's cricket in response? Just as the most rudimentary barometer of how much interest it does evince among casual fans, who mostly are here. I'm no women's cricket aficionnado, just a non regular viewer of international cricket. Another simple question, who's the South African women's captain? I can't say without a search on the internet. I can only name the English, Australian, Indian, Kiwi and WI captains, and most of the former 4's teams. None more.

It's easy to live in eutopia and say that all are equal. Fact is, the demand and money says it's not. I do hope there are better facilities in the future, but it'll only come with time.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1086 on: January 30, 2013, 22:00 »
    I take all your arguments on board Ram, quite happily, and agree with many of them - I was merely posting the article as I found it interesting.  I'm well aware that even in this country women's cricket is very much second fiddle to the men's game, and yes, only those in the England squad are capable of making any sort of money from the game.  However, I think it is fair to say that the set up in this country is several steps ahead of the rest of the world.  Yes it's not perfect, and yes it has required the ECB to pull their fingers out, but it has made remarkable progress - and England's international success if clearly related to that.  Me targeting the BCCI was purely due to the article being about that - however, in such a cricket mad country, and with such a large population, it seems to me that there must be a market for at least developing the sport in India?  It would be nice to see the BCCI get on board and look to develop the game, at all levels, in the country.

As for the nature of women's cricket, it is obviously a very different game, but that should not detract from the skill level - although obviously you have to be more of an aficionado and less of a wham-bam T20 occasional watcher.  Hopefully with time, things like the T20 tournaments running along side one another will lead to an increased demand for more women's matches or tournaments, and a general profile raising for the sport.  In this regard, whilst it is sure to ruffle a few feathers, the possibility of Sarah Taylor and Holly Colvin turning out for Sussex men's 2nd XI is, I think, a great opportunity for the pair of them to put the ladies game in the shop window, show what they (and other women) are capable of, and make a wider audience sit up and take note.  Who knows, if they are successful, then the occasional solitary Ashes test will develop into something with a bit more meaning, and other bilateral series can develop elsewhere as well.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1087 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18 »
    What I meant was, it’s not India specific, and every country apart from England is exactly the same. It’s not the BCCI somehow disgracing itself alongside its counterparts.

Demand to make it one of the developing sports can't just be conjured up. Maybe this world cup here could make a difference. But no, it's just reality that women's cricket isn't that popular. It's never been. Demand at the moment is at an all time high for women’s cricket. The simultaneous running of the 2020 WC has allowed for that, and the proper telecast of the WCW. There’s not demand yet that makes for cricketers to allow having professional cricket only careers. That’s still a long way away. I’ve seen women’s cricket in the 90s and even the early 00s, and the different is marked. I can’t dig up footage of a DD telecast of a woman’s international, but I can say the difference in coverage and production quality is massive.

Well, we’ll never be sure about the skill level. I’ve heard a couple of cricketers say the skill is same, but facing Michael Holding and facing Mark Ealham are two different things, or even the over-rated Brett Lee. James Anderson, for example, you know what happened when he lost 5mph through a great part of last year. Even the international men spinners give it a proper rip, lots of revolutions on the ball. If any, I’d say a wicket keeper has the skill set most suited to making a switch if necessary, which Sarah Taylor is.

Colvin and Sarah Taylor aren’t pioneers in this case. Ellyse Perry played grade cricket a year or two ago, and did well. I don’t think it’ll have any bearing on women’s tests, they’re a dead species. They were a regular feature till the early to mid noughties. I’m personally not in favour of making it a coed sport. What happens should Sarah Taylor and Holly Colvin fail? The women get exposure for what they are, not for what they compare against men.

Post Merge: February 01, 2013, 06:55
    All but won the first one. And a run out in the first over chasing 280
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:55 by ram, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

ram

« Reply #1088 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10 »
    WHat the BCCI did yesterday, that's self serving bulltwang. The :censoreds

Post Merge: February 01, 2013, 06:56
    Crap from Charlotte Edwards today. Not been in the best of form recently, still time though and will be the leading ODI run-scorer by the end of the tournament. Gunn and Jones, well played. Dani Wyatt's not an opener and didn't look one. Sarah Taylor's injured.

Sophie Devine 145 and White Ferns 320. South Africa will require three innings to chase that down.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:56 by ram, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1089 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26 »
    Jeepers, when Starc gets it right...

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1090 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46 »
    I'm f*cking nervous #SAvPak
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1091 on: February 03, 2013, 08:36 »
    One of the finest spells yesterday. Donald, Amby, Pidge, Devon Malcolm, Harmison, alongside or just behind their best spells.

Charlotte Edwards' the leading run scorer in ODIs. A century, and a comfortable win on the cards.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1092 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34 »
    Windies ladies have piled  on 368 against Sri Lanka...that's massive! 171 for Stafanie Taylor, and a rapid 50 for Dottin.  Sri Lanka staring down the barrel of an enormous thrashing.

Great response from Charlotte Edwards - leading from the front, now up to the rest of the team to bring it home.

Over in Perth, I see Maxwell follows up his turbo charged effort of the other day with a golden.  Can't work out why they opened with him the other day and then not again today...?  Personally, not convinced that he's quite international material, but even so, give the guy a chance to make one position his own.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1093 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03 »
    Jesus wept... Maxwell bought for 1 million at the IPL auction.   :rolleye
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1094 on: February 03, 2013, 16:50 »
    Why, you've known for ages that RSA suck!

;)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1095 on: February 06, 2013, 02:31 »
    Better at talking than playing. I guess the Indian women have good tutors.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1096 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33 »
    Easily the best women's world cup I remember.

Lanka all over the place, either at the top or crap. Kaushalya was immense.

England, poor. That's all. Losing to Lanka is just not good enough. Failing to chase 148 against Australia, even worse. Sarah Taylor was rubbish, 3 ducks in a row and should've been 4. Shrubsole was very good and Charlotte Edwards got a couple of nice records through the tournament.

New Zealand, also not good. India, pathetic. Dottin's a blockbuster player. West Indies are screwed in the final, especially with Ellyse Perry likely to be back.

Australia threw the match away against West Indies for an easier final. Anyone sensible would rather have a WI final than New Zealand or England, may be crapulent, but the tournament's such and super sixes are crap, super eights were torture.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1097 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47 »
    Fair assessment on England that Ram, Sarah Taylor a big disappointment, although with 2 centuries, Edwards has obviously had a pretty decent tournament - although the failure to get to the final at least will upset her I'm sure. 

Here's hoping Dottin and Taylor big in the final to take the fight to the Aussies  :)

Looks like Robin Peterson has played a doozy of an innings to get the Saffa's to near parity...and now the seamers are doing their thang  :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1098 on: February 16, 2013, 16:50 »
    South Africa v Pakistan test is poised beautifully.  Pakistan to bat through tomorrow, Ali will make a ton, and then end up setting South Africa something around 275-300 to chase on the final day.  Amla vs Ajmal to decide it  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1099 on: February 17, 2013, 13:52 »
    Perry having a blinder in the women's final - slammed a quick 25* and her current bowling figures are 2-1-2-2.  And she's still not fully fit   :rolleye

And as I type that, she takes her third.  Australia taking this easily unless Dottin does something truly remarkable.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1100 on: February 17, 2013, 14:13 »
    Australia've won it. No surprises regarding Perry, she's always been the goods. Deserved, they lost the match they had to, won every other.

Tanvir's bowling Aamir like no balls
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1101 on: February 17, 2013, 17:02 »
    Regarding England in New Zealand - belatedly realised that KP hasn't been involved so far this tour.  Is this part of him being rested/having his workload managed?  Haven't heard that he is injured so assume that this is so?

Congrats to the Aussie ladies, pretty comfortable in the end.  And also congrats to the Saffa's - under real pressure at times in this match but as all great sides do, they found a way to hang in there and when the opportunity arose, were ruthless in snatching the advantage back.  Smith, with 49 test victories, is now the 'winningest' test captain.

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1102 on: February 17, 2013, 17:14 »
    KP was announced as being rested a while back. Part of the rotation/resting policy in place.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #1103 on: February 17, 2013, 18:03 »
    What a load of balls that is. When did he last play? Tis a 3 test, 3 2020, 3 ODI series. But honestly WGAF about this series? I mean, Woakes...... FFS Woakes. No Woakes. It's only a pointless time filler.

Misbah and Shafiq dismissals were crap.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1104 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29 »
    Yes the NZ series shouldn't be that onerous, but with the back to back Ashes series later in the year, blah blah blah...  :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1105 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38 »
    Tests be good, good enough, but these one day series...

Only good thing about yesterday
    http://velorooms.com/index.php/topic,148.msg85737.html#msg85737

This first catch.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1106 on: February 18, 2013, 09:46 »
    Yeah, saw that earlier!  Rubbish from McClenaghan, should have been on the rope, but unbelievable grab from the kid!

Not unlike this:
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1107 on: February 18, 2013, 13:12 »
    BBC's team of the tournament for the Women's World Cup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/21497422

Don't really know enough about the women's game to agree/disagree with it, but would have been tempted to put Perry in there.  Even though she only played a few games, her performance in the final was pretty special (based on the radio commentary I was listening to...)  That said however, any 17 year old playing international sport is pretty special, so fair play to Ferling.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1108 on: February 18, 2013, 13:23 »
    Not too tough a team, maybe a Jess Cameron for her performance in the clutch matches or Satterthwaite instead of Taylor (who was nominated as one of the players of the year last year). Ellyse Perry made her debut at 16, and well known is that she's also an international footballer.... Ferling's a star, deserves it. Australia missed Alyssa Healy from their team, btw. Another spinner maybe...

He made Brindle a man, it isn't Aaron, it is Arran.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1109 on: February 18, 2013, 14:04 »
    Women’s World Cup team of the tournament: Suzie Bates (New Zealand, captain), Charlotte Edwards (England), Rachael Haynes (Australia), Stafanie Taylor (West Indies), Deandra Dottin (West Indies) Eshani Kaushalya (Sri Lanka), Jodie Fields (wicketkeeper , Australia), Katherine Brunt (England), Holly Colvin (England), Anya Shrubsole (England), Megan Schutt (Australia).

And the official team of the tournament
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 12:08]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:55]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 11:32]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:12]