1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1285

ram

Re: Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
« Reply #1111 on: February 18, 2013, 18:09 »

Far better than his Prime Ministerial counterparts is David Cameron. It's dead set centre of the commercial centre of Mumbai, this Oval Maidan. Always full though, and mainly by players/students from cricket academies.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1112 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05 »
    Ellyse Perry made her debut at 16, and well known is that she's also an international footballer....

Wow
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1113 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16 »
    Ricky Ponting signs for Surrey on a two-month deal this summer.

Surrey - my home county, no less (though I support Kent) - fast turning in to a home for old-age cricketers. Ponting is about 50, and Ramps is still playing at nearly 600,000 years old!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

ram

« Reply #1114 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28 »
    Ricky Ponting signs for Surrey on a two-month deal this summer.

Surrey - my home county, no less (though I support Kent) - fast turning in to a home for old-age cricketers. Ponting is about 50, and Ramps is still playing at nearly 600,000 years old!
    Ramprakash retired last year

You could say Gary Keedy or that incompetent fruitbat Gareth Batty.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1115 on: February 21, 2013, 10:34 »
    Ramprakash retired last year

Did he? That passed me by. I just assumed he'd go on for ever, like the Queen or space.

The negative side to this story is that my old school friend, Arun Harinath, is still unlikely to get a huge amount of game time. Last year it was KP they brought in, this time it's Graeme Smith and Ricky. How is any young batsman supposed to establish themselves when their team keeps doing that...
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1116 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46 »
    Tiffin Boys Grammar school?
    He did finish the year well last time, might have a run considering all of Surrey's batsmen were sh*te after Maynard's death.

Well, if Smith or Ponting are within budget, who'd not go for them? And being a test venue, the best will always be within budget. Get rid of Dernbach, that's the first thing Surrey should do, then Batty, cos he's a talentless sh*tepiece.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #1117 on: February 21, 2013, 20:11 »
    Wasn't Harinath opening at the end of last year?  So looks like he'll be in competition with Burns or Ansari.  Having played against both, I'd say Ansari is more of a middle order player but assuming Davies is first choice keeper, then Burns would be his back up and so may not get much game time.  I think because last year was so traumatic, for want of a better word, for the club, they want a few wise old heads - and they don't come much older or wiser than Smith and Punter, to act as father figures I guess to their plethora of talented youngsters.  And Punter is only covering for Smith when he's on international duty, so he'd only be taking Smith's spot in the side.  Sure, there's no substitute for game time, but it would be awesome if you were a young up-and-coming batsman to train alongside either of those two..you would learn so so much from them, even if it meant a stint in the 2nds.

All that said however, having just had a look at the Surrey website, their squad looks a bit thin on the ground...  So top 6 might look something like this?
    Smith
    Harinath
    Solanki (moves up to open when Ponting arrives - Punter slots in at 3)
    De Bruyn
    Ansari
    Davies

In other news, MCC have decided that should the bowler knock the bails off mid-delivery, it will be a no ball.  Bad news for Finn then  :evil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/21537843
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11386
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1118 on: February 22, 2013, 06:30 »
    Openers were looking good, shower and 2 for

Cowan misses again, Muppets on cricinfo  calling for his heads.

Looking like a long day for India if warner, watts survive a few overs after lunch
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1119 on: February 22, 2013, 06:46 »
    4th ball after lunch watto gone

:lol :lol :lol :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1120 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57 »
    Warner gone   :lol

Wade and Clarke in
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1121 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04 »
     Just to check, this Ravi Ashwin that is tearing the Aussies apart is the same individual who was sh*te against England?  Or is it his twin brother?   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1122 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06 »
    Just to check, this Ravi Ashwin that is tearing the Aussies apart is the same individual who was sh*te against England?  Or is it his twin brother?   ;)

same dude different bowler apparently   :lol

Comms been going on about how sh*t he was and how good he is bowling

my guess more to do with batsmen fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #1123 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42 »
    Bad shot by henriques.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #1124 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47 »
    The only stream i am getting is indian commentary and they are going ape sh*t..dont know everything they are saying but they are very excited.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1125 on: February 24, 2013, 03:19 »
    Spinning the ball, makes such a bloody difference. Pleased with Ashwin's effort, Harbhajan and Vijay were still bad picks.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1126 on: February 24, 2013, 11:06 »
    Not a fan of his at all, but Dhoni is playing a superb innings, absolutely marmalising the Aussies.  Can see them facing a deficit of about 150 which will be tough to overcome.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #1127 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46 »
    Dhoni in full flight is something special, a bit like Peitesen or Lara in his heyday.

:cheesy
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1128 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38 »
    Yeah, I loved watching India today, missed Sachin's session yesterday, but Dhoni was awesome today..

SA v Pak - love SA winning but a 'whitewash' is never sexy.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06 »
    The crapulence of Australia in that test. That's all. Good win, still three tests to cock it up.

And after that Vijay effort, I hope the selectors have a few flop ons. Wouldn't be able to strike a ball if Tiger Woods turned up at his home naked.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57 »
    Not sure why the Beeb is reporting this unless it is relevant as to why Maynard Jnr fell under a tube train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21588586
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2013, 12:52 »
    Nick Hoult is reporting from the court room. Maynard's hair samples had cocaine and MDMA. The pathologist, according to him, said that alcohol and cocaine had a detrimental effect on his judgement.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1132 on: February 26, 2013, 17:48 »
    Also, he was running away from the police who had pulled him over in his car.  If he was high/drunk, you obviously wouldn't want the police to breathalise you. 

I do like this quote from his family though:
    The only people who would judge Tom on the findings of the inquest are people who didn't know him.
      Agreed - whilst I strongly disapprove of drug use of any sort, it's not my place to judge him.  It is however, such a shame given how talented he was  :(
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1133 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58 »
    I remember this - last year sometime? Jeez, being caught with drugs is bad but not worth losing your life over, such a shame.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1134 on: February 27, 2013, 13:29 »
    Didn't lose his life over that. He hasn't been caught possessing any gear AFAIK. Only found out post the hair tests. Whatever it was, twas unfortunate, but RHB and Dernbach being Tom's closest mates being unaware of his drug use? County cricket has some to answer

The Tom Maynard post was mainly about Edwina Currie's twitter post. Obviously Darwinism missed out with Edwina Currie.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1135 on: February 27, 2013, 14:30 »
    Ok I don't know the whole story, thought he might've panicked? Don't know her. But I hear you, it reminds me of that Smeichel tweet re Shearer, people turning a blind eye, not cool.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1136 on: February 28, 2013, 17:47 »
    The Tom Maynard post was mainly about Edwina Currie's twitter post. Obviously Darwinism missed out with Edwina Currie.

?

Ok I don't know the whole story, thought he might've panicked?

That would be my guess.  Didn't want to speak to the police, freaked out, and legged it with tragic consequences.  As a result of all this, ECB are going to step up testing for recreational drugs among players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/21588350
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    There are some signs that the game now takes a more enlightened view towards drink and drugs. When Paul Smith, suffering from seizures and blackouts, was revealed to have a drug problem in 1997, the ECB responded by banning him from all levels of cricket. From standing on the Lord's balcony celebrating a Man of the Match award and Warwickshire's sixth trophy within three seasons, he lost everything. He lost his employment, his home, his family and spent time sleeping rough. At one stage he went for more than a week without food

This is a rather depressing and damning indictment on the ECB.  Full article here - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/622955.html

Sir Geoffrey doesn't rate NZ's chances in the test series: http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-new-zealand-2013/content/current/story/622789.html
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/domestic/wheater,320883,EN.html

A little bit puzzling this, for me.  Sure Bates isn't the greatest batsman in the world, but he progressed last season, and there is Rouse waiting in the wings for us as well.  Could see him playing in the County Championship side, and would strengthen the top 6, but Bates is just about the best gloveman in the country (along with Foster), and in one day cricket that is so precious.  The way he can stand up to all of our quicks is awesome to watch.  If Wheater wants to be first choice keeper somewhere, not sure Hampshire is the place I would have chosen to go.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Pujara and Vijay...chapeau.  If anyone can explain Australia's selection policy for this match, then I'd love to hear it, but can't take away from two remorselessly excellent innings from these two. 

I do wonder if this might spell the end for Sehwag though.  Another failure, and the youngsters that India have are ready and waiting to show what they've got.  Barring a minor miracle, India are going to win this test at a canter, so far better to blood new faces in a winning side.  Rahane or Dhiwan or perhaps a recall for Gambhir for the next test surely has to be an option?  And is Harbhajan really a better option than Ojha?  Given their respective performances against England, I'm really not sure why Ojha isn't playing and Bhaji is...?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 12:08]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:55]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 11:32]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:12]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by t-72