• ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Cricket- RIP CMJ, Greigy and Neil Adcock
    « Reply #1171 on: March 15, 2013, 21:32 »
    Damn what a snoozefest in the end - loved Misbah's sixes but the last 88 balls lasted an eternity!
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 468
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Good start to the day for Eng. Broad just got Williamson c/b
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    It's an absolute bloodbath in Mohali...  Dhawan tearing the Aussies apart.  Door slamming shut in Sehwag's face.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1174 on: March 16, 2013, 19:15 »
    Well well it's about bloody time! Go India!
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Jadeja takes Clarke for the fifth time - although I gotta say I think it was a no ball, didn't look like any part of his foot was behind the line :S Aus 119/5 and talk on Twitter that Clarke might be replaced as captain for the next match.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    My bro says Hughes' wicket also dodge - can't say, the intricate mysteries of the LBW has escaped me for the last 38 years - perhaps in 2013 I will finally learn exactly how it works :P
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Jadeja takes Clarke for the fifth time - although I gotta say I think it was a no ball, didn't look like any part of his foot was behind the line :S Aus 119/5 and talk on Twitter that Clarke might be replaced as captain for the next match.
    Only way Clarke loses the captaincy is if his back causes him to miss the game.  The guy has been utterly brilliant since taking the reins.  Best batsman in the world right now (well, him, Amla, and Cook) and his captaincy is attacking and imaginative.

As for the LBW... http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-36-leg-before-wicket,62,ar.html   :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1178 on: March 19, 2013, 05:36 »
    Hi, Dances, I have recently interacted on Twitter with some Aussies - two dudes who I reckon to be around the 50s age bracket - and they claim that Clarke has a role to play in Aus's struggle - something about him being childish and picking his buddies instead of the best team, etc - nothing too concrete - and I don't know if they're just being 'old farts' - or have a real point - or that what they say is even true - I did find the following article which doesn't really make Clarke look bad to me at all - although I don't really know much about team tactics etc so I am not sure what to make of it. The article does seem to give insight into Clarke, though, might be worth a read

Notions of Clarke as an old-school leader, derived from his natural flair with the bat and in setting his fields, are misplaced. He has the skills of a classical cricketer and on-field captain, but the preparatory habits and single-minded approach more commonly glimpsed in other, more forward thinking sports. His favourite sportsman of all time is not a cricketer, but rather Michael Jordan, that 20th century avatar of professionalism in all its cold calculation.

If falling short of Jordan's cruelty, an intolerance for those unprepared to walk his way has characterised two of the more calculating episodes of Clarke's career. Andrew Symonds was deeply admired by Ponting, but it was on Clarke's watch that the hammer first fell on the allrounder's career. The locum captain while Ponting holidayed, Clarke refused to tolerate a missed team meeting during a Top End series, and Symonds was dropped. Katich's differences with Clarke were well known, and his unwillingness to contribute much more than runs to a team in which Clarke was soon to be captain in 2011 was a likely cause of his summary removal from the contracts list.

It may be said that Clarke has a stricter record as a disciplinarian and demander of high standards than Arthur does. Ghosted columns for News Ltd, commonly the sort of task a cricketer will commit little energy to, are pored over by Clarke as though sacred texts. His often smiling visage for the public and at press conferences hides a stern face and insistent tone in meetings of import. There is nary a single member of the CA touring staff who have not been scolded verbally about maintaining the level of aptitude or preparedness that Clarke requires. His Argus review interview is believed to have been among the most strident. On-field opponents can also relate that Clarke's tongue is every bit as sharp as his footwork.

Hussey and Ponting encouraged a strong team culture merely by example. It remains to be seen whether success can be gained from Clarke's attempt to enforce one by decree.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/story/624729.html

Does this make Clarke a great cricketer but bad captain? Or a potentially great captain with indisciplined players? Which would cause Aus to struggle more, the former or the latter? I mean, I kinda liked what I read there, a guy who is that hardcore and focussed about prep, etc - but if a large % of your team is not that way, do you bend for the team to work, or do you make your team bend to work for you?

Sorry! I guess I have more questions than answers.. (thanks for the LBW link!)

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:03 by kabloemski »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Interesting...  Comparison that immediately springs to mind is Hussain and the England captaincy.  He and Fletcher were largely credited with dragging England, kicking and screaming, into a more professional era - and the fruits have been evident since, first with Vaughan in 2005, and the more recent success of Strauss and Cook. 

The Australia situation sounds similar but different.  The discipline, is for me, a prerequisite of being a professional and international sportsman.  The homework project should have been done, missing team meetings, engaging with your captain and coach to find areas for improvement, and making sure you're preparation is bang on - these were expected and highly maintained when I played university cricket, so for internationals it should be a given. 

I think Clarke is spot on to want to enforce those standards.  Ponting had a team of superstars, and winning kind of took care of itself.  Winning breeds confidence and discipline.  However, with Ponting and Hussey gone, Clarke (and Australia) need to fine a new way.  It is an entirely new team, and needs to forge a new identity.  It might take time, and it might ruffle a few feathers along the way, but if the end result is a team that is as highly focussed on all aspects of the game as Clarke himself, then who in Australia will ultimately be complaining.

Overall, how will he be rated?  A great batsman yes.  As a captain, a lot depends (as it always does) on the back to back Ashes coming up.  Forget the shambles going on in Australia at the moment, in English and Australian conditions, I think Australia will be a real threat, and wouldn't be surprised if the series' are shared.  With an Ashes win under his belt, what is undoubtedly a hugely young team, will benefit enormously.  The likes of Hughes, Khawaja, Smith (and several others on the domestic scene) are all very promising, and can learn a lot from Smith about how to operate and succeed in the international game.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1180 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14 »
    Ok, cool, thanks, interesting stuff.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

What with Warner, Hughes and Smith in the side?

The Australia situation sounds similar but different.  The discipline, is for me, a prerequisite of being a professional and international sportsman.  The homework project should have been done, missing team meetings, engaging with your captain and coach to find areas for improvement, and making sure you're preparation is bang on - these were expected and highly maintained when I played university cricket, so for internationals it should be a given. 

I think Clarke is spot on to want to enforce those standards.
    So what's Mickey Arthur being paid for? I'd like to see how Clarke would've tried to enforce it on Warne or Lillee. Hussey talked of Clarke's insecurity. Looks like it's coming to the fore.

Being suspended (publicly) for not filling in a self evaluation form and then being called back in the next test as captain. Yeah, they fliped it up proper. Drop the only performing bowler. The old farts are right- Hussey, Katich, Watson. Clarke's no Border, and the latter was reluctant and the former anointed.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    Hussey talked of Clarke's insecurity. Looks like it's coming to the fore.

Same guys mentioned that too.

Being suspended (publicly) for not filling in a self evaluation form

I think discipline and professionalism is important, but that did seem a bit high school to me. I'm no international cricketer but I remember in one job we were constantly forced to do this - and it used to irk me no end. It did seem like the bosses were at a loss because business was tough due to the recession - filling in that damn form did not change a damn thing for the better and eventually I left because I couldn't stand it anymore - not due to the pressure of making money but because we were made to feel like naughty children - what were top management getting up to? Displacing blame and responsibility?
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Essex v Middlesex. pre season game at Chelmsford today.
    Current temp 4, expected high today7, with a chilly wind from the east.
    Cricket is now offically a winter sport  ;) ;)

Think we give this a miss and enjoy the cycling on the telly.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1184 on: March 22, 2013, 08:34 »
    Hey, Jadeja's so hot right now, I'm not missing *that* :-)
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1185 on: March 22, 2013, 11:20 »
    Was sorry to see Smith go, was enjoying his batting. At least Aus has been hanging in there.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    Well Essex beat Middlesex yesterday by 3wkt in a freindly 45 over bash.
    Cant believe there playing a 35 over freindly today with temps just about 5degs. Could be one of them days for snow stopped play
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1187 on: March 24, 2013, 10:27 »
    So I hear more and more people (admittedly Aussie cricket fans) moaning about the 'doctored' pitches in India - fair's fair, or uncool? I honestly don't know, but I really WANT to know. I mean, is it the terroir and some are simply good enough to handle even the dodgiest, and that differentiates the good from the great? Others say Aus simply don't have that fight in them at the moment. It is a young team, right? Talk of Mickey Arthur's replacement via SA v Pak commentary.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Home team will always have the advantage when it comes to preparing pitches.  I'm sure many teams over the years would have liked to complain about an English green top, and if you go the subcontinent, the pitch is always going to be a bit of a dust bowl and turn square.  What this Autralia series has shown (and the England one before that), is that non-Asian players can prosper in Indian conditions.  Clarke particularly, but also Cook, KP, and Root (in the final test).  What it highlights is the lack of depth in the current Australia top 6, and a lack of awareness on how to play spin.  Cowan, for example, looked pretty clueless at the start of the series, but has dug in, worked out a method that works for him, and improved throughout.  The likes of Watson and Hughes still look pretty clueless, and with that as a starting point, you are always going to struggle to put together the sort of partnerships to make 400+ scores in a Test. 

However, I wouldn't read too much into this performance from Australia.  Although disappointing for them, in home conditions I have no doubt they will be hugely improved.  The bowling attack is set up for more 'seam orientated' pitches, so roll on the Ashes...

As for England atm, wtf?!  Getting completely destroyed in Auckland.  Have fingers and toes crossed for Bell to produce the innings of his life tomorrow and somehow stave off a defeat. 
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11190
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/627024.html

Jessie Ryder in a coma after a night out and being attacked or in 2 fights

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1190 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56 »
    Awful, I saw that. It's just sick. Follows a British fan being beaten to death at a Sharks game in Durban last week. F*cking animals. It's just sport.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    IPL begins today.  On the plus side, it means I get cricket on terestrial TV here in the UK (assuming ITV4 will be showing it like last year...) and will be able to watch it.  On the down side, it means I'll be watching the IPL... 
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    I love watching the IPL. It pits the best players in the world against each other consistently in a real nail biting format . I know there are those who are not so appreciative, but I find it really very entertaining.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    This would be quite cool: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22044029
    This would be great, me football team & me cricket team both playing at OS, bring it on.
    Huge potential at the OS for international matches also, anything involving Eng, India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka would almost certainly lead to near sell outs, plus of corse you can get probably three 20/20 games in a day. Great idea let it happen..
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Come on Oxford!!!  90 odd needed, 6 wickets in hand... Would be an awesome victory :win
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Lancashire of to a solid start. With Katich and Prince I can't see us not being promoted and White looks a good player as well. We lost Keedy but Kerrigan is a very talented bowler who is on the England Lions books and it was time he stepped up and took centre stage.

Middlesex really look the squad this season and it may very end up being a London based title race this season.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    Also admittedly I have been overcome by IPL fever and have been following it avidly for the past week or so. Also there is a great fantasy IPL game which has really got me hooked here:

http://games.espncricinfo.com/fantasy/homepage.aspx

may be me worth a shot.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    "@pavilionopinion 22m
    If you missed it, here's Dhoni's 104m monster six onto the Chepauk roof:   #IPL"

• ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485

Recent Posts

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 19, 2020, 20:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Joelsim
    [January 19, 2020, 14:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 19, 2020, 13:54]