collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10726
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
new techno features released
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:57 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

badger60.1

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    Re: new techno features released
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08 »
    Looks very smart but very expensive but then again power meters are
  • ReplyReply

• GreasyMonkey

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 15:21 »
    So they have finally released it....

It has been floating around for the past 18 months, so of the pictures from Eurobike showed a pretty dodgy setup inside the axle, a lot of wires interconnecting the sensors on the axle which will be subject to vibration fracturing (exactly the same as Ergomo BB power meter) and drillings through the axle (would significantly weaken it) - Pics attached.

I hope they have made big changes in the physical layout & construction, or there will be a lot of failures in 12 months time.....
  • ReplyReply

• Damiano Machiavelli

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47 »
    $2200.  Way overpriced. 

Only compatible with Polar CS500 and CS600 and no Ant+.  Dealbreaker.

• ReplyReply
  • Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake. Yeah.  Jack just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Gimmie your best shot, pal, I can take it."

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28 »
    Have no idea what this all means

Evans get belted - something to do with carbon drive systems

http://blog.carbondrivesystems.com/?p=2989
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 52
    « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 10:57 »
    that colnago is sleek! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:08 »
    I see that Colnago has brought out a roadie with disc brakes. Verrrry interested to see how/when this is adopted by the pros.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:24 »
    I see that Colnago has brought out a roadie with disc brakes. Verrrry interested to see how/when this is adopted by the pros.

thought there were still some issues around weight?
  • ReplyReply

• taiwan

• Passista-Veloce
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 21:17 »
    thought there were still some issues around weight?

Yeh there must be. The front wheel for starters and that's rotating weight.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The whole world is run on bluff. No race, no nation, no man has any divine right to take
    advantage of others. Why allow the other fellow to bluff you?"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Giuseppe Magnetico

• Maestro della ruota
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 23:35 »
    Yeh there must be. The front wheel for starters and that's rotating weight.

The issue about d-brakes being overweight is null.  The difference between a current rim brake set up and road disk is about 150g added for d-brakes, this includes everything, calipers, rotors, hubs, and post mounts.  Rotational weight is less with disk brakes because rims can be made lighter since there's no need for brake track reinforcement.  Weight at the outer circumference of the wheel is where rotational weight really matters, rims and tires.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:48 by Giuseppe Magnetico »

Antisrta

• Il Capo-Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    • Follower of Ned Ludd
      • Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    « Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 14:00 »

Hasn't happened yet, nor will it in the next 3-5 years. I liken adding discs to sub 1 kilo frames and forks to the first bicycle with true rear derailleurs. For wet, mucky, touring, cross, tandems, great idea. For that 15 pound weekend warrior tool, an answer to a not asked question but like road tubeless, gonna happen, whether it's a good idea or not. Redesigned forks, frames, hubs(gonna be 135 rear, I'll bet), calipers, rotors, rims...blah+.

OBTW-I have a disc now, 622mm, using a Campagnolo rubber compound as disc material, and  small, aluminum  calipers.
  • ReplyReply
  • Qui si Parla Campagnolo

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Giuseppe Magnetico

• Maestro della ruota
    • Sunday Rider
    « Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 02:02 »
    Hasn't happened yet, nor will it in the next 3-5 years. I liken adding discs to sub 1 kilo frames and forks to the first bicycle with true rear derailleurs. For wet, mucky, touring, cross, tandems, great idea. For that 15 pound weekend warrior tool, an answer to a not asked question but like road tubeless, gonna happen, whether it's a good idea or not. Redesigned forks, frames, hubs(gonna be 135 rear, I'll bet), calipers, rotors, rims...blah+.

OBTW-I have a disc now, 622mm, using a Campagnolo rubber compound as disc material, and  small, aluminum  calipers.

Everything is going 135.  The current 130mm road spacing is going die off just like 126 did.  Disk is coming sooner than you'd like.  I know your opinion both on and off the boards, but...... less than 3 years the UCI will make it road legal.  A prediction, you know me well though, 3 years or less from now, that's my call, we'll see.   ;)   
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Giuseppe Magnetico

• Maestro della ruota
    • Sunday Rider
    « Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 20:39 »
    Of the recent tech news this one by Canyon really caught my eye.  If someone figures out a lightweight transmission that includes internally geared hubs and the BB, say b-bye to derailleurs and dished rear wheels.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/eurobike-2010-canyon-adds-new-enduro-bike-track-model-for-2011/140640
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 21:19 by Giuseppe Magnetico »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23 »
    I noticed Old Fred riding these in the recent Philadelphia race and decided to dig around a bit:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/gold-rush-team-exergys-custom-felt-fcs-34030/

They look pretty awful (in my opinion) and the action is very odd. Downshifting on the drops seems like an impossible mission.  :-\
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27 »
    Meanwhile - staying with aesthetics - Shimano offers us a new contender for the World's Most Hideous Chainset with the new Dura-Ace Di2 9070 group:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/shimano-dura-ace-di2-9070-sneak-peek

However, this Di2 rear mech is an improvement on the hideous tack-on they currently offer:

• ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 06:08 »
    not sure where to put this so putting it here

really interesting discussion with Grahame Obree about his philosophy in trying to build the worlds fastest bike

http://www.humansinvent.com/#!/7239/graeme-obree-hand-building-the-world%E2%80%99s-fastest-bicycle/
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02 »

The new BMC aero road frame, taking a rainy day off at the Dauphiné. Photo: Caley Fretz | VeloNews
    LA CLAYETTE, France, (VN) — Hidden amongst the BMC Racing squad’s regular fleet of glossy red and black BMC Team Machines at the damp and drizzling start of Wednesday’s Critérium du Dauphiné stage was an unfamiliar matte black model, standing out in its subtlety. The bike is a brand new, as-of-yet unreleased aerodynamic road frame from the Swiss manufacturer, bearing number 13, that of George Hincapie. The American rode the bike for its 40km of racing on Tuesday, but opted for his regular ride on Wednesday due to forecasted rain.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/spotted-bmc-aero-road-frame_222609
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42 »

The new BMC aero road frame, taking a rainy day off at the Dauphiné. Photo: Caley Fretz | VeloNews
    LA CLAYETTE, France, (VN) — Hidden amongst the BMC Racing squad’s regular fleet of glossy red and black BMC Team Machines at the damp and drizzling start of Wednesday’s Critérium du Dauphiné stage was an unfamiliar matte black model, standing out in its subtlety. The bike is a brand new, as-of-yet unreleased aerodynamic road frame from the Swiss manufacturer, bearing number 13, that of George Hincapie. The American rode the bike for its 40km of racing on Tuesday, but opted for his regular ride on Wednesday due to forecasted rain.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/spotted-bmc-aero-road-frame_222609

Interesting brake positioning for a "standard" road bike.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 12:51 »
    who would have thunk

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 11:00 »

looks like BMC are using these at the tour

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 11:31 »
    looks like BMC are using these at the tour

Looks more like a TT bike. Not sure I'd like to do 200km a day on that.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 23:17 »
    Looks more like a TT bike. Not sure I'd like to do 200km a day on that.  ;D

the rear end looks really stiff and your own rear end might take a beating. but i bet it handles pretty well.
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 23:39 »
    the rear end looks really stiff and your own rear end might take a beating. but i bet it handles pretty well.

What makes you believe the rear end looks stiff?

My take would be that the placement of the seat stay at the middle part of the seat tube would be putting any force into moving the seat tube forward and not vertical.  This is just based on the angles and where they seem to hit.  I believe this would dampen the effect of a bump on the rear wheel.  So I doubt the rear end would be taking much of a hit.

Opinions?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 09:09 »
    Can someone tell me what's going on here? Tech or damaged?

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 10:35 »
    While I'm on a roll ...

Was over at Mont Sainte-Anne for the World Cup this weekend and talked to a couple of the folks from some of the bike companies who were there with their teams ...

Look for a good number of 650B bikes to hit the market for the 2013 model year - at this stage primarily from Specialized and Trek. The word I had was that there could be up to 10 models from each - which I'm guessing would be an even split between hardtail and fully. Rocky Mountain also "may have" something in development for the coming year.

Surprisingly - given that Nino Schurter was the rider who brought 650B to prominence and also considering that, except for a flat on the second to last lap, he was smoking the field on his 650B bike - there was no word of anything from Scott. (To be fair though, their XC team focus was pretty low key ...)

At this stage people also seem pretty well convinced that 650B will only find its way into "enduro"/"all mountain" fully's and "trail" hardtails. The theory is that 29er is still the way to go for XC and that DH will definitely stay with 26". While the latter makes sense, the former definitely doesn't - at least not on technical courses like MSA. Watching the 26" riders nail the twisty descents and climbs and the 29ers having an easier time on the rocky climbs says that neither size is "perfect" (and that rider skill still is the biggest factor - but that's a topic for another sub-forum) and really support's Schurters "best of both worlds" argument for the 650B ...

All that I know is that, unlike with most "improvements" in bike tech that we've seen of late, 650B is one that I really want to check out!!!   ;D

here is some info on the 650b

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-tech/tech-faq-whats-the-big-deal-with-650b_32195
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05 »
    Just seen someone discussing new trek madone 6 which has the same rear break layout. Cannot do photos as on ipad and too difficult
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by hiero
    [Today at 00:00]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by zinoviev letter
    [June 25, 2017, 23:13]

Greetings! by MarvinFoerb
    [June 25, 2017, 23:05]

[June 25, 2017, 22:57]