collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11450
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: new techno features released
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:35 »
While I'm on a roll ...

Was over at Mont Sainte-Anne for the World Cup this weekend and talked to a couple of the folks from some of the bike companies who were there with their teams ...

Look for a good number of 650B bikes to hit the market for the 2013 model year - at this stage primarily from Specialized and Trek. The word I had was that there could be up to 10 models from each - which I'm guessing would be an even split between hardtail and fully. Rocky Mountain also "may have" something in development for the coming year.

Surprisingly - given that Nino Schurter was the rider who brought 650B to prominence and also considering that, except for a flat on the second to last lap, he was smoking the field on his 650B bike - there was no word of anything from Scott. (To be fair though, their XC team focus was pretty low key ...)

At this stage people also seem pretty well convinced that 650B will only find its way into "enduro"/"all mountain" fully's and "trail" hardtails. The theory is that 29er is still the way to go for XC and that DH will definitely stay with 26". While the latter makes sense, the former definitely doesn't - at least not on technical courses like MSA. Watching the 26" riders nail the twisty descents and climbs and the 29ers having an easier time on the rocky climbs says that neither size is "perfect" (and that rider skill still is the biggest factor - but that's a topic for another sub-forum) and really support's Schurters "best of both worlds" argument for the 650B ...

All that I know is that, unlike with most "improvements" in bike tech that we've seen of late, 650B is one that I really want to check out!!!   ;D

here is some info on the 650b

http://singletrack.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-tech/tech-faq-whats-the-big-deal-with-650b_32195
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014