collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2429
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Tylers Book - September 18th
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12 »
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I'm not so impressed with Tyler's book winning an award.

I've said before that the book is interesting, but I didn't find it to be a great read. Floyd did the heavy lifting, and the best parts he gave away for free to Kimmage.

Much of Tyler's book had already been known. Several things were already covered by Dan Coyle himself in Armstrong's War. The USADA report provides plenty of intimate details as well, obviously. If anything, Tyler's story was a bit late in the telling.

I payed for the book and I don't regret that. But enough. His interviews are becoming pointless. I thought I read something about a possible movie being made based on his book as well? I wouldn't pay to see that. That's where I would draw the line. I can't support Tyler profiting any further off this. There are still some key elements left out of his book. But I don't care that much anymore. His cute nicknames for both the dope and the doctors was an odd deflection, I thought.

And if I was really going to nitpick, I would say that I'm surprised that a book with such a horrible cover would win any award at all.
The truly unknown, revealing parts could've been condensed into considerably fewer pages. Perhaps the award committee just hadn't been paying attention. I wonder if they even know who Mike Anderson is?

Dan Coyle did what he had to do. He needed to corroborate and verify countless aspects of Tyler's story, and assemble a time line and narrative. I admire his tenacity, especially as he never allowed his inner access to Armstrong in the past to curtail his own reasoning. But Tyler? Enough. Floyd put much more on the line and no one seems to be presenting him with any awards. Even if they did, he'd likely smash it, too, and throw the pieces in a bin next to those of his Tour trophy.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 00:19 »
    Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I'm not so impressed with Tyler's book winning an award.

I've said before that the book is interesting, but I didn't find it to be a great read. Floyd did the heavy lifting, and the best parts he gave away for free to Kimmage.

Much of Tyler's book had already been known. Several things were already covered by Dan Coyle himself in Armstrong's War. The USADA report provides plenty of intimate details as well, obviously. If anything, Tyler's story was a bit late in the telling.

I payed for the book and I don't regret that. But enough. His interviews are becoming pointless. I thought I read something about a possible movie being made based on his book as well? I wouldn't pay to see that. That's where I would draw the line. I can't support Tyler profiting any further off this. There are still some key elements left out of his book. But I don't care that much anymore. His cute nicknames for both the dope and the doctors was an odd deflection, I thought.

And if I was really going to nitpick, I would say that I'm surprised that a book with such a horrible cover would win any award at all.
    The truly unknown, revealing parts could've been condensed into considerably fewer pages. Perhaps the award committee just hadn't been paying attention. I wonder if they even know who Mike Anderson is?

Dan Coyle did what he had to do. He needed to corroborate and verify countless aspects of Tyler's story, and assemble a time line and narrative. I admire his tenacity, especially as he never allowed his inner access to Armstrong in the past to curtail his own reasoning. But Tyler? Enough. Floyd put much more on the line and no one seems to be presenting him with any awards. Even if they did, he'd likely smash it, too, and throw the pieces in a bin next to those of his Tour trophy.

Floyd is a black sheep, Ba Ba, part of the Amish Mafia.

Tyler is a nice boy who went wrong. You have to forgive him, he's so sweet and innocent.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10907
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 12:04 »
    this wasn´t in the book

Tyler in the blood hound gang  :D

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2429
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 11:05 »
    I'll bump this because I couldn't find another Tyler thread.

His recent interview with Velonews is getting lots of attention and praise.
    https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/news/tyler-hamilton-qa-part-1-the-unfairness-of-a-doped-peloton_476812

Personally, I find it to be lacking much substance. It is interesting that he suggests there are many secrets still hidden, but overall I found the piece to be typical Velonews: soft around the edges, and dumbed-down for the masses. The title of the article hints at more than it delivers. The notion that there wasn't a level playing field, due to the fact that GC guys had a more elaborate doping program than other riders, doesn't really provide any useful info. For one, that's nothing new. Two, the real issue is whether or not the GC guys themselves were operating within a "level playing field," which I'm pretty sure has been settled that they weren't, because individual physiology has to be factored in to one's response to doping. But whatever. The details of those things are beyond boring to me now.

Then there are his remarks about how thin riders are today. "All the guys that are racing today, I look at them and they’re working their tails off. You can just tell, they’re super, super skinny. I work with some of the athletes now, I think the secret is out! Weight is so critical and a couple of pounds can make the difference."

Wow, groundbreaking revelation that is. Truly stunning insight.  :S

For whatever reason, I've always found Tyler's interviews to be somewhat sketchy. I don't really fault him or judge him for his past, but all his interviews since coming clean tend to leave me a bit unsettled. He's not someone I'd particularly care to hang out with. I can't quite place my finger on it, but there's still something disingenuous and shallow about his delivery. I dunno.

Maybe part of the reason this Q & A left me a bit flat was the source.
    VeloNews contributor Rebecca Reza worked as a social media advisor to Tyler Hamilton’s coaching business in 2017.

Yeah, that could be it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6954
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #64 on: August 30, 2018, 22:15 »
    Maybe part of the reason this Q & A left me a bit flat was the source.
    VeloNews contributor Rebecca Reza worked as a social media advisor to Tyler Hamilton’s coaching business in 2017.

Yeah, that could be it.
    Yup.
    There's a clear conflict of interest, there's building a good relationship with interview partners and sources in the sport, and there's this.
    Somewhere in between those two things, not really either, but probably leaning more towards the first.
    Reza doesn't draw a salary from Hamilton any more ... but it does have a small Geschmäckle, as the Swabians say. An aftertaste.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts