collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3030
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22 »
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rio-medallists-want-sutton-back-w2fznbjfs

I can't access the whole article, but the headline says it all I guess

I can. ;)

I've left out the background stuff which is well documented.

Two of Britain’s Olympic gold-medal heroes have joined the chorus calling for the return of Shane Sutton, the coach who faces accusations of sexism and making derogatory remarks about Paralympic cyclists.

Ed Clancy and Owain Doull, two of the four-man team pursuit squad that included Sir Bradley Wiggins and Steven Burke, said that the Team GB cycling squad’s results from the Rio de Janeiro Games vindicated Sutton’s controversial methods.

However, Clancy, the unsung heart of the team pursuit squad and now a three-times gold medallist in the event, saw the other side of Sutton when he suffered a back injury that could have left him with a permanently paralysed leg.

Sutton’s return to the world’s most successful Olympic cycling squad cannot come soon enough for the team returning from Rio with their haul of 11 medals, including six golds. Wiggins had led the call for Sutton to return and he was backed up by his team pursuit colleagues, who recognised Sutton’s abrasive manner but said that the results in Rio spoke volumes for his ability as technical director.

“Shane laid the foundations for what happened in Rio,” Clancy said. “Should Shane be recognised for what happened in Rio? For sure, yes. It is right that this inquiry into sexism and other claims are sorted out. I have had my own issues with Shane and I suppose you love him or you hate him.”

Clancy suffered a prolapsed disc last November picking up a heavy bag and found himself facing serious surgery and the end of a distinguished career. “I couldn’t bend so I was bolt upright,” Clancy said. “I went out one night with the boys but couldn’t sit at a restaurant table so I had to kneel.”

The first text after his operation came from Sutton and then the technical director rallied an army of physios and doctors for Clancy’s rehabilitation. After three months’ recovery, Sutton put Clancy in the team pursuit at the World Championships, keeping faith in a rider who was still working on his fitness. “Maybe it was too soon but Shane wanted me to be part of it to be ready for the Olympics,” Clancy added.

Becky's already said her piece to the press, too:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/18/gb-olympic-cycling-star-becky-james-backs-shane-sutton---ive-nev/

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Recent Posts

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by LukasCPH
    [January 20, 2020, 21:49]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Leadbelly
    [January 20, 2020, 20:08]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Joelsim
    [January 20, 2020, 19:17]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Leadbelly
    [January 20, 2020, 18:22]

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Joelsim
    [January 20, 2020, 16:53]

Re: Race news 2020: Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards by search