collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7563
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2017, 23:45 »
Does he have a Russian granny or summat that is enabling this switch?
Hardly.

or is he going to change via "residency"?
Most likely.

Does cycling in general have rules on switching nationality? I just hope this isn't the start of what we see in Rugby (in particular) and some other sports.
The only rule I can remember is that your switch is only valid from the next 1st January. When de Maar became Dutch Antillean & won their national championships, he was first awarded UCI points for that - and later they were taken away again as he hadn't been racing on a Dutch Antillean license from the start of the year.

Davide Rebellin thought about racing the Worlds for Argentina in 2004 when it was clear he wasn't going to get picked for Italy ... but the UCI stopped that, saying he'd have needed to have been on an Argentine license from the start of the year.

Other examples would be Roy Sentjens who went from Dutch to Belgian between two seasons after having lived in Belgium for years. Leonardo Duque and Laszlo Bodrogi became French citizens and raced under the French flag from then on.

So, basically, as long as you fulfil your new country's requirements for citizenship (and for elite athletes these requirements are often bent or even waived), and do the switch in the off-season, you can do what you want.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean