collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3024
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2016, 16:01 »
 SS has now resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36153485

Andy Harrison appointed to do what he can to hold things together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/21773877

A huge blow to GB's collective medal chances, imo
JV will be ecstatic, but still with no ticket to ride.
Hell hath no fury....
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 515
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #151 on: April 27, 2016, 16:44 »
    SS has now resigned.

Andy Harrison appointed to do what he can to hold things together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/21773877

A huge blow to GB's collective medal chances, imo
    JV will be ecstatic, but still with no ticket to ride.
    Hell hath no fury....

Will she be ecstatic? More likely just less disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong but your post seems to imply that she should have kept silent in order to protect BC. Why? BC didn't protect her when they employed someone like Sutton. To me they've kinda made their bed, and now they have to lie in it. You hire a "confrontational" (read: unpleasant) manager then you take the performance increases while the going is good and accept that their ugly behaviour might blow it all up in your face at an inopportune time.

Unless she's made it all up, and got Cooke and Pendleton to join her campaign of libelous bitterness, and enlisted Darren Kenny to make similar accusations. That, to me, seems pretty unlikely. I mean, Sutton has barely even denied it: "I have made clear that I reject the specific claims that have been made against me in recent days". Just the specific claims mind, not the general ones of a sexist environment.
  • ReplyReply

• kwikki

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 29
    « Reply #152 on: April 27, 2016, 17:36 »
    Sutton had clearly made some enemies during his time, and it is pretty telling that one of them might be Pendleton.

It is the demeaning remarks about the disabled that did for him.
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 269
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #153 on: April 27, 2016, 21:38 »
    Sutton had clearly made some enemies during his time, and it is pretty telling that one of them might be Pendleton.

It is the demeaning remarks about the disabled that did for him.

Yes that would seem to be the case. Looks like he stepped well over the line between being tough and a twit. As many have said he was marmite some loved him others obviously hated him. It's difficult to dismiss the amount of allegations that have been made in such a short space of time
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #154 on: April 28, 2016, 05:08 »
    SS has now resigned.

How have the others reacted? I realise there's some mention in the article, but in terms of their preparation for the Olympics...

All about medals for Team GB apparently.
    "Chances of medaling slim to none", "no point wasting[1] UK Sport's money", "participated in 7-8 of 10 qualification events, beaten by the French in 4 of 5 head-to-heads" ...

Give over, Shane Sutton.
    Varnish hit a point with you, and you don't want to have anyone who's using their head for anything else than putting a helmet on in your team.
    You've thrown them to the wolves, and now you're washing your hands of them because they 'just weren't good enough to outrun the wolves".

This 'make-or-break' attitude is the same throughout Team GB and Team Sky, and it's despicable.
    Not much (if at all) better than what Astana did with Kessiakoff.

But hey, they're the saviours of the free world, so that's alright, I guess? :barf
     1. emphasis mine
    Hang on a minute... Varnish isn't Nicole Cooke. She's been a well supported athlete for a top track cycling nation where medals are an expectation. She failed to even qualify for the Olympics in the team sprint. Added to that the unprofessional interview post the failure to qualify... There's certainly a well justified case to be made for her dropping.

As for Sutton, I'd say the nature of the allegations are serious (and unsurprising). Much like Malky Mckay, made his position untenable.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #155 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00 »
    How have the others reacted? I realise there's some mention in the article, but in terms of their preparation for the Olympics...

BC have kept press contact down to the bare minimum. They were prepped for the kit launch in London, yesterday, but as events unfolded, it became photographs only for the girls.
    Laura T did manage to get a message of support for Shane out, but that's it.
    Maybe this might help, from an old boy.
    Geraint Thomas ...

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM ME:
    With regards to recent events I'd like to say that there is absolutely no place for inequality in sport, and the recent accusations made against British cycling need to be looked at and treated seriously.
    However, I would like to talk about my personal experience and say that Shane is one of the main reasons I am where I am today. He has always wanted the best for British riders, and gone the extra mile for us. He's done more than most for British Cycling.
    The inequity issues won't finish with Shane's resignation/investigation, there is a problem with inequality in cycling as a whole that needs to be addressed.

Hang on a minute... Varnish isn't Nicole Cooke. She's been a well supported athlete for a top track cycling nation where medals are an expectation. She failed to even qualify for the Olympics in the team sprint. Added to that the unprofessional interview post the failure to qualify... There's certainly a well justified case to be made for her dropping.

As for Sutton, I'd say the nature of the allegations are serious (and unsurprising). Much like Malky Mckay, made his position untenable.

I have a lovely anecdote about money and financing, that took place between Jess and one, Miriam Welte, from the back of our hire car, but that's not going to appear here any time soon! :D
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #156 on: April 28, 2016, 09:52 »
    That's a tease
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #157 on: April 28, 2016, 21:18 »
    https://twitter.com/gallagherbren/status/725755095221161984?lang=en-gb

Following the resignation yesterday of British Cycling’s Technical Director Shane Sutton, I wanted to make the following statement.

A lot has been written about Shane Sutton and British Cycling in the media in recent days.  Given the seriousness of the allegations of discrimination, I welcome the independent investigation to be conducted by UK Sport and look forward to contributing if asked to do so.  I encourage everyone with an interest in the future of British Cycling to do the same.

I’ve no intention of providing my opinion on the allegations through the media.  With our best cyclists less than 100 days away from competing in the most important event of their careers, all those with something to say need to do so in the right environment and allow our fabulous riders to finish their Olympic and Paralympic preparations without this distraction.  I think Andy Harrison will do a great job taking over the technical director role and leading the team in Rio.

I do want to pay tribute to Shane for what he’s achieved for British Cycling and for me personally over the years.  I have never met anyone who gave so much to their role within any team and who cared so much for the performance of the riders. Shane expected 100% commitment from every member of the team regardless of their role and he led by example in that respect. As a coach, his uncompromising approach yielded unparalleled results for the GB team and his contribution to my career and the entire British Cycling success story was outstanding. For this, I would like to sincerely thank him.

Back in 2009 I wrote a short article in The Guardian on Shane as my mentor, which I thought appropriate to share today: The Guardian

It’s important to recognise that all of British Cycling’s success is due to the combined effort of a huge number of people.  There is a magnificent support team of coaches and other personnel who provide their expertise and passion to allow the riders to get the best out of themselves. That team remains, and I for one can’t wait to proudly watch our Olympic and Paralympic riders representing Great Britain in Rio.  Let’s all get behind them.
    Sir Chris Hoy.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #158 on: April 28, 2016, 22:42 »
    To be honest, I have no interest in what Sir Chris and G have to say on this, although I am happy to hear their opinions on a number of any other issues.

The attitude of Sutton has no places within British society, let alone government funded sports institutions. I'm glad he's gone.

If a proper investigation is to take place we need to hear from Pendleton, Cooke, Kenny and Varnish as well as others. Quite frankly, the opinions of Hoy and G are irrelevant as they are the ones most likely to be protected from any macho culture in BC.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #160 on: April 29, 2016, 08:35 »
    To be honest, I have no interest in what Sir Chris and G have to say on this, although I am happy to hear their opinions on a number of any other issues.

The attitude of Sutton has no places within British society, let alone government funded sports institutions. I'm glad he's gone.

If a proper investigation is to take place we need to hear from Pendleton, Cooke, Kenny and Varnish as well as others. Quite frankly, the opinions of Hoy and G are irrelevant as they are the ones most likely to be protected from any macho culture in BC.

You will be hearing more from others, but it won't be for a while.
    Hopefully, folks will readily accept what is said then, too.

• ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #161 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36 »

There are aspects of British Cycling governance and the attitudes of Team GB - largely related to their Olympic obsession and disregard/disrespect for any non-Olympic championship - that I detest. And I have expressed my frustration at that on these very pages before, and no doubt I will do so again.

It was this Olympic obsession that, in many ways, boiled over into this whole Varnish vs. Sutton situation. And that was deeply regrettable for the image of British Cycling. I'm sure what has become public is only part of the story, but it seems that because certain things that Shane Sutton was alleged to have said have been reported, he has faced trial by media and fallen on his sword. DJW's point - which I don't disagree with - sums that up rather nicely.

And then I read the following piece. And it made me rethink. The central point is this - most of us are not world class, so to judge the goings on by our "normal" frames of reference might miss some of the context. I'm not sure this excuses Sutton's (alleged) behaviour. But it is an interesting think piece. The writer is Will Carling, former England rugby player who won 72 caps and as captain led England to 3 Five Nations Grand Slams in five years, as well as the 1991 World Cup final. Although he is a keen cyclist, I don't believe that he has any personal connection to the institution of British Cycling, so this is a pretty objective piece.

Quote from: Will Carling
    I have been thinking over the Shane Sutton resignation and furore, and some other sporting issues, for a while now, and just had to make a few points, which no doubt will land me in 'normal' hot water............

My frustration and slight bemusement comes from what I think is a glaringly obvious mistake in this whole debate, which seems to have been missed by most. In all the articles that I have read, we seem to judge the likes of Sutton and other sportsmen and women, and the environment that they operate in, with the same measurements as 'normal' life.

I do not use the word 'normal' in a condescending manner, just in an honest assessment that most of us are not attempting to be the best in the world, hence our 'normal' day to day environments do not match those that are.......

So when looking at Shane Sutton - and I am not talking about sexism in sport here, as I do not understand how one man can be blamed for the obvious discrepancy in cycling, when the governance of the sport as a whole is surely to blame. I am looking at Sutton as a coach, and one that many of the current stars have still said is the one person they would turn to when the going got really tough.......

Yes I have met Shane a number of times, and he struck me as a hugely passionate man, that is obsessed by his sport, the athletes he coaches and the world he operated in. Passionate and no doubt infuriating, never allowing standards to drop........ever!

I have no doubt that he has said things that in the middle of an office would be totally unacceptable, but in the heat of a training session are part and parcel of that world. Elite sport is about pushing people to the limit, physically, emotionally and mentally, and that does not happen through 'normal' behaviour. If I looked back on what has been said to me and by me in the heat of games, training or team meetings, I would have been strung up by any HR department in the country.

World Class performance is not elicited by 'normal' behaviour. Such an obvious fact. Shane Sutton might well have over-stepped the mark in scathing remarks, trying to provoke a reaction, a performance, a great training session, but the man quite obviously over-stepped the mark too in the care, devotion and time he gave to his athletes too - so many stories of his being there for his charges at the toughest times.

I detest bullying, make no mistake, but I also detest the sanitising of a world by people who have no comprehension of what it takes to be successful in it......

World Champions, great sports champions, elite Special Forces, world class operators in music, theatre and business do not get there by 'normal' behaviour. So why still judge them by 'normal' standards.........

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/world-class-normal-will-carling
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #162 on: May 17, 2016, 13:05 »
     Comes as no surprise to me.
     Was the reason to make the allegations in the first place: the bottom line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36309473

I guess that she doesn't think the GB track set up is quite the awful, sexist place it was, last week. :s
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11184
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7561
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #164 on: May 24, 2016, 09:19 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/left-side-drive-felt-fa-trd-team-usas-secret-olympic-weapon-for-rio-unveiled/

Is that allowed under UCI rules? Just curious.

In any case, it's a departure from a century of bike-building. They better have some damn good reasons for it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 462
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #165 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31 »
    https://twitter.com/sixdaycycling/status/735012519299944448

Nice, Wiggins & Cav pairing up at London 6 day.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1663
    « Reply #166 on: August 03, 2016, 14:53 »
    Sport Foot Magazine / Sport Voetbalmagazine rated Jolien D'Hoore's chances for a Gold Medal in Rio at 10% and her chances for a medal at 25%

In London she was hardly 22 but finished 5th at the Omnium event. Since then she became one of the best roadies but never could podium on the track (4th at the 2014 Worlds, 6th in 2016, ...). This year she somewhat disappointed in her specialities (scratch, elimination and point races) but seems to have worked a lot on her liabilities (pursuit, 500m, track lap ...). IN order to get a medal in Rio, the Flandrian is gonna have to set a personal record in the three ITT events and be in the top3 or 4 before the Point race since the women's race is very defensive and it'shard to overtake. If D'Hoore fails, it won' be a material issue since she's done 45 tests in the new wind tunnel in Paal in order to find the ideal helmet-equipment-position possible combo. Given the dominance of the Brit Laura Trott, it's not gonna be easy to get a medal. Besides, the top of the hierarchy has broadened compared to previous years wih among others the Frenchwoman Laurie Breton, the American Sarah Hammer, the Australian Annette Edmondson, the Canadian Allison Beveridge and the Dutchie Kirsten Wild.

She's the only cyclist they give reasonable chance to get one (road, track, MTB combined)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #167 on: August 17, 2016, 05:38 »
    Congratulations, Mellow. Brilliant last few months for Becky.

Sutton's absence now a thing of the past, surely.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #168 on: August 17, 2016, 08:12 »
    Congratulations, Mellow. Brilliant last few months for Becky.

Thanks.
    The most stressful day of my life, yesterday.
    The most stressful 18 months for Becky, ends in double Olympic silver.
    Looking forward to the celebration party when everybody gets home.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #169 on: August 17, 2016, 08:20 »
    :win

how awesome for her

:woohoo
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #170 on: August 17, 2016, 12:29 »
    Jolien D'Hoore was front page of De Morgen, Het Belang van Limburg and Gazet van Antwerpen among others. I'll share the articles with you later on but just the front pages.  :)

Yesterday Gazet van Anwerpen raed her chance for success at 50% after the ITT, the flying sar and the point race.

;)
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 662
    « Reply #171 on: August 17, 2016, 14:41 »
    Peter Cossins ‏@petercossins
    Jacques apparently looking for a Shane Sutton-type figure as link between him and track coaches

Peter Cossins ‏@petercossins
    French coaching dir Jacquet admits to "problem of leadership, of management" in @lequipe . Says team sprint trio were a team in name only
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #172 on: August 17, 2016, 14:56 »
    Jolien D'Hoore was front page of De Morgen, Het Belang van Limburg and Gazet van Antwerpen among others. I'll share the articles with you later on but just the front pages.  :)

Yesterday Gazet van Anwerpen raed her chance for success at 50% after the ITT, the flying sar and the point race.

;)

I suspect I am the only person who was hoping she'd win in order to lead to the following headline:

D'Hoore Ace

I'll get me coat.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #173 on: August 17, 2016, 21:58 »
    An article from De Morgen about Jolien

Her father Luc saw how she did an all or nothing for a medal.

Jolien's preparation for Rio was maniacal

Her father said that in London she was just 22 and now in Rio, 'she knew that the stress, the fierce competition and the greatness of the event would be there."

The months before she had slept three times a week in a low pressure tent in their garden (of her parents, that is). That is what his highlighted inside the article. On 9pm she went sleeping, which surprised the father. They would then have fun with the family because she was away.

Jolien is one of the few of the 18 participants to combine a road calendar with the track. But in 2016 she chose for a limited calendar on the road. She had to say 'no' to several races which seemed hard to do. The father thinks that this is her best performance ever, though she was World Champion in 2014.

Jolien lost weight but won muscle mass. She had other eating habit and the whole family seemed to have adapted.

:)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #174 on: August 18, 2016, 00:59 »
    D'Hoore Ace
    I don't get it.

Am I thick?[1]
     1. Do NOT take this as an opportunity to comment on my weight!
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1662
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #175 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22 »
    I don't get it.

Am I thick?

Do you really want an answer to this Lukas?

:lol

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #176 on: August 18, 2016, 10:37 »
    Do you really want an answer to this Lukas?
    I know that I want an explanation of the "D'Hoore Ace" pun.

Answers to my own question are purely optional. :P
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #177 on: August 18, 2016, 17:16 »
    The U.K. Commentary invariably pronounced her surname 'durr-rur' as in dura ace. Admittedly it's a terrible pun.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #178 on: August 18, 2016, 20:35 »
    Other article from De Morgen (it's today's)

Jolien explains to the readers that she isolated herself from all Internet and social media and her smartphone was off for two weeks, which means that she got a lot of sms's all at once, even from Belgian celeb's.

Belgian athletes were a real group who were having dinner together. Different from London with everybody apart. She saw Nafissatou Thiam with her gold medal and it inspired her, even though she couldn't have the same metal but she's glad with bronze.

She had told Ghita Michiels (MTB) and Elke Vanhoof (BMX) that she wasn't too emotional and that she never really cries but then all of a sudden came the tears and so Ghita and Elke smsed her, she was trapped.  :D

She confirmed having slept in an altitude tent as her father said, next to her chickens and goats.  :) She is maniacal and hyper perfectionist. Doesn't seem to complain about being constantly busy with her job, from morning to evening. But she concedes that it's typical for top athletes.

So she works with dietician Stephanie Scheirlynck. [I have other articles about Scheirlynck being not only Jolien's dietician but also Nafi Thiam AND Greg Van Avermaet !!]

Every calory that I swallowed is counted, every gramme is weighed. 

She's four years older than in London, so wiser and stronger. She knows how to approach each contest of the omnium. With national coach Peter Pieters, they've watched and studied dozens of video footage.

In theory it's a farewell to omnium. It's now Lotte Kopecky's turn. Very young but what a strong bear. She still must improve her sprint. Also there come several young talents with whom we can build a pursuit quartet.

She wants to focus on the road by now. To win the Tour of Flanders and the Worlds. But she's also doing a Master in rehabitation science and kinesitherapy.

The Belgian federation's policy re: track has been heavily criticized which she found unfair. She never could complain. A lot has been invested for her: wind tunnel testing, training sessions, special track suits, experts to follow her Everything was there in order to mix it up with the World's best.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #179 on: August 19, 2016, 09:54 »
    Or maybe not
  • ReplyReply

•