collapse

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
  • Liked: 713
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2016, 19:10 »
Havent seen this posted anywhere on the site yet so apologies if it has already been brought up.

Victoria Pendleton has interviewed Anna Meares and it will be broadcast tonight on BBC Five Live at 10.30pm UK time.

Hopefully some interesting question and answers might be produced from it.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1719
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #181 on: August 19, 2016, 20:24 »
    Havent seen this posted anywhere on the site yet so apologies if it has already been brought up.

Victoria Pendleton has interviewed Anna Meares and it will be broadcast tonight on BBC Five Live at 10.30pm UK time.

Hopefully some interesting question and answers might be produced from it.

My God.
    Must be poor, straight talking Anna's worst nightmare.
    I'll have to listen, but with the sick bucket to hand.

Now live, that might have been interesting.....
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #182 on: August 25, 2016, 09:04 »
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rio-medallists-want-sutton-back-w2fznbjfs

I can't access the whole article, but the headline says it all I guess
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #183 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22 »
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rio-medallists-want-sutton-back-w2fznbjfs

I can't access the whole article, but the headline says it all I guess

I can. ;)

I've left out the background stuff which is well documented.

Two of Britain’s Olympic gold-medal heroes have joined the chorus calling for the return of Shane Sutton, the coach who faces accusations of sexism and making derogatory remarks about Paralympic cyclists.

Ed Clancy and Owain Doull, two of the four-man team pursuit squad that included Sir Bradley Wiggins and Steven Burke, said that the Team GB cycling squad’s results from the Rio de Janeiro Games vindicated Sutton’s controversial methods.

However, Clancy, the unsung heart of the team pursuit squad and now a three-times gold medallist in the event, saw the other side of Sutton when he suffered a back injury that could have left him with a permanently paralysed leg.

Sutton’s return to the world’s most successful Olympic cycling squad cannot come soon enough for the team returning from Rio with their haul of 11 medals, including six golds. Wiggins had led the call for Sutton to return and he was backed up by his team pursuit colleagues, who recognised Sutton’s abrasive manner but said that the results in Rio spoke volumes for his ability as technical director.

“Shane laid the foundations for what happened in Rio,” Clancy said. “Should Shane be recognised for what happened in Rio? For sure, yes. It is right that this inquiry into sexism and other claims are sorted out. I have had my own issues with Shane and I suppose you love him or you hate him.”

Clancy suffered a prolapsed disc last November picking up a heavy bag and found himself facing serious surgery and the end of a distinguished career. “I couldn’t bend so I was bolt upright,” Clancy said. “I went out one night with the boys but couldn’t sit at a restaurant table so I had to kneel.”

The first text after his operation came from Sutton and then the technical director rallied an army of physios and doctors for Clancy’s rehabilitation. After three months’ recovery, Sutton put Clancy in the team pursuit at the World Championships, keeping faith in a rider who was still working on his fitness. “Maybe it was too soon but Shane wanted me to be part of it to be ready for the Olympics,” Clancy added.

Becky's already said her piece to the press, too:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/18/gb-olympic-cycling-star-becky-james-backs-shane-sutton---ive-nev/

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #184 on: October 25, 2016, 13:50 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1266
    « Reply #185 on: November 07, 2016, 20:34 »

Great results for Belgians in the Glasgow World Cup event.

Robbe Ghys won the scratch, as U23#1 at age 19. He's also a good roadie, if I'm not mistaken. Kenny de Ketele was 5th in the Point Race and 3rd in the Madison with Moreno De Pauw. Also the Belgian team pursuit was 5th and very close to third place.

Lotte Kopecky was second at the omnium to Emily Kay. She won the elimination race and was 2nd in the Point race, by one point.

Nice to see Sylvain Chavanel won the pursuit !! 

(Het Laatste Nieuws)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #186 on: December 08, 2016, 08:27 »
    8 out of 9 claims made by Jess Varnish rejected by the independent review.
    Only the use of the term bitches, upheld:-

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/806591270147788800

I am aware of a scenario, at the time of the World cups prior to Rio, whereby the collective term "bitches" could, and imo, should have been used.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #187 on: December 08, 2016, 08:42 »
    Sheilas is offensive ?

‘Sheila’ was a common female name in Ireland, used alongside the name ‘Paddy’ to represent the archetypal Irish couple. From this early usage (dating from the 1820s in Britain) ‘Sheila’ came to mean any female, whether Irish or not.  This British use of ‘sheila’ was then transported to the colonies

http://andc.anu.edu.au/ozwords/December%202001/Sheila.html

I am aware of a scenario, at the time of the World cups prior to Rio, whereby the collective term "bitches" could, and imo, should have been used.

I seems to me that BC have tried to please both sides JV wins but SS doesn´t really get any damage to rep and will be hired probably by Cycling Australia

fwiw I recon SS is a sexist twit, but JV got screwed
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 948
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #188 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53 »
    I'm not going to say that Sutton isn't a bogan. However, I don't see how Varnish got screwed. From the outside, it seems her results merited what happened. And that isn't even taking into consideration her "it's everyone else's fault" interview.

A situation with similarities to Pietersen, except not that good.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #189 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40 »
    I'm not going to say that Sutton isn't a bogan. However, I don't see how Varnish got screwed. From the outside, it seems her results merited what happened. And that isn't even taking into consideration her "it's everyone else's fault" interview.

A situation with similarities to Pietersen, except not that good.
    BA: "We regret all this happened and are sacking Sutton" but also: "Actually Varnish, we don't think 8/9 things you said really happened" aka what we actually mean by everything is: "Oh dear, this happened on our watch let's do what we can for PR and hope it blows over whilst not really realising we need to make serious changes".

flip the flipping flipers and if I still had my CA cycling license it'd be in microwave the day they signed the prehistoric flipwit. flip them too.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #190 on: December 08, 2016, 12:44 »
    Sheilas is offensive ?

http://andc.anu.edu.au/ozwords/December%202001/Sheila.html

I seems to me that BC have tried to please both sides JV wins but SS doesn´t really get any damage to rep and will be hired probably by Cycling Australia

fwiw I recon SS is a sexist twit, but JV got screwed

"Sheilas" may be the least offensive (not non-offensive) term used if you look at them just on their own but in the context and the intent of the situations that SS was saying everything in then clearly, it was all wrong.

I can think of exactly 0 scenarios where any male in any position of power, should be using any sexist language towards women at all, especially those under their care and employ.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6039
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #191 on: December 08, 2016, 13:04 »
    I can think of exactly 0 scenarios where any male in any position of power, should be using any sexist language towards women at all, especially those under their care and employ.
    This exactly. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #192 on: February 09, 2017, 13:38 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5177
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #194 on: February 15, 2017, 21:01 »
    https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/831755099902971910

Some questions.

Does he have a Russian granny or summat that is enabling this switch? or is he going to change via "residency"?

Does cycling in general have rules on switching nationality? I just hope this isn't the start of what we see in Rugby (in particular) and some other sports.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6039
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #195 on: February 15, 2017, 23:45 »
    Does he have a Russian granny or summat that is enabling this switch?
    Hardly.

or is he going to change via "residency"?
    Most likely.

Does cycling in general have rules on switching nationality? I just hope this isn't the start of what we see in Rugby (in particular) and some other sports.
    The only rule I can remember is that your switch is only valid from the next 1st January. When de Maar became Dutch Antillean & won their national championships, he was first awarded UCI points for that - and later they were taken away again as he hadn't been racing on a Dutch Antillean license from the start of the year.

Davide Rebellin thought about racing the Worlds for Argentina in 2004 when it was clear he wasn't going to get picked for Italy ... but the UCI stopped that, saying he'd have needed to have been on an Argentine license from the start of the year.

Other examples would be Roy Sentjens who went from Dutch to Belgian between two seasons after having lived in Belgium for years. Leonardo Duque and Laszlo Bodrogi became French citizens and raced under the French flag from then on.

So, basically, as long as you fulfil your new country's requirements for citizenship (and for elite athletes these requirements are often bent or even waived), and do the switch in the off-season, you can do what you want.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #196 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23 »
    yes he is becoming a Russian citizen but keeping his Australian will have 2 passports - all seems a bit crap
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 948
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #198 on: August 18, 2017, 06:33 »
    So, Becky James has decided to retire from track cycling and is setting up a baking business. Good luck to her on her retirement, but definitely would've expected her to be a favourite in Tokyo given a proper buildup (unlike her Rio games).

And mellow- which of the James' are coming through? Heard a bit about Ffion. Is Megan related as well? Saw a Megan James win at Fort William in the age group category. If so... You're the Bracewells of cycling. Quality players just popping out of every burrow.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts