collapse

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 108
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2012, 22:37 »
Certainly agree regarding her mental fragility - and she is the first to credit Steve Peters with all the work that he has done with her over the years.  She's spoken in the past about struggling with motivation after Beijing, and obviously her fiancee leaving the BC set up and her being isolated wouldn't have helped.  As she intimated as well, she's often felt the pressure to succeed just to be accepted within BC.  She is seen as the female Hoy - and at a slight tangent, I think part of the reason behind the restructuring of the Olympic track programme was due  to the fact that she could only win 1 gold in Beijing whereas Hoy got 3, and Chris Hoy is Chris Hoy - a Velodrome legend, so quite an imposing individual to be compared to!

On the track, you're right; Meares has the brute power, Pendleton - when on top form, has that X factor I think.  Either way, fingers crossed that they meet in the final, and it should be one of the top races in the Velodrome. 
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 258
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 19:48 »
    Revolutin Series, round 1 highlights will be on ITV4 wed 31 Oct, 8- 9 pm..
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10716
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 83
    « Reply #64 on: November 22, 2012, 15:19 »
    From the Twitterz..

@mrendell Quite a lot of people hurt during the making of this video: http://www.trackworldcup.co.uk/News/Article/1561/1

Crashes from Glasgow compilation. Ouch.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 07:22 »
    The latest round of the Revolution Series highlights, ITV4 Wed 5/12 from 8pm
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    « Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05 »
    Ross Edgar to take to the road. Small article in todays Telegraph.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16 »
    Good for him his place in the Team Sprint was increasingly becoming more non existent.. what with them trying Clancy there before him and all that.

There is a niche there but I do not think it is for him especially as there are some talented youngsters coming through..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 16:40 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20911244

Whatever it is that Hoy is wearing, I like it  :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #69 on: January 06, 2013, 18:56 »
    Yep they are going well. And good to see our friend Iljo Keisse flourishing once again alongside one of my favourite riders.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/keisse-terpstra-take-control-in-rotterdam-hoy-leads-sprinters_270580

Iljo Keisse and Niki Terpstra are the new leaders in the Rotterdam Six after the third night. The Omega Pharma-Quick Step duo had their best day so far, winning the elimination race and the long Madison, where Keisse outsprinted the competition on both occasions by millimeters.

“This is good,” Keisse said, “but it’s still a long way to go. [Peter] Schep and [Wim] Stroetinga picked up a lot of points. No, we have only just begun.”

Chris Hoy took the lead in the sprint tournament. The six-time Olympic champion won the match sprint, the 200-meter time trial and the team sprint on Saturday.

Great to see Sir Chris doing well. Apparently he was the first one back training after the Olympics :pray
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51 »
    The latest round of Revolution highlights ITV4 Wed 9/1 from 20.00...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8992
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24 »
    there are some nice pictures from the Australian Championship on Ride's Facebook Page

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 01:04 »
    Clancey 'abandons' team sprint in favour of pursuit.

Guardian Article :link
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47 »
    No more Hoy = many many fewer team sprint medals for GB.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 22:11 »
    Clancey 'abandons' team sprint in favour of pursuit.

Guardian Article :link
    Wonder how long that took him to figure out  :rolleye
    Also a lot more dependancy on Kenny. Hoy is a real engine but Kenny does have speed. They need to really get the combination right though.
    You would never have thought prior to the Olympics that they had got it right for the TS, but in the end they got it bang on. Hindes is also talented and there are now two spaces up for grabs really as Kenny is assured of a place you would think, I really like the looks of Daniels.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #77 on: February 12, 2013, 21:12 »
    That is a bit random. I can't imagine they are that, that interested and I don't think Cav has ever properly ridden the TP.

Though on that note there have been noises made about changes to the track allotment for the Olympics. Possibly the Omnium out and Chris Hoy's Kilo in and maybe one or two more to bolster the ranks of disciplines after the reduction for 2012.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 16:29 »
    A bit sad that he won't make it to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next year but understandable.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3232
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #81 on: April 18, 2013, 12:20 »
    As expected...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22198392

"I didn't realise quite how much London took out of me. To go on for another year would be one year too far. I don't want to turn up to wave to fans and get a tracksuit. I wanted to get a medal for Scotland and because I didn't think I could do that, I wanted someone else to take my place. Now it's time for younger riders to experience what it is like to compete in front of a home crowd. I will be there to open it and soak up the experience."

11 world titles, 6 Olympic golds and 2 Commonwealth golds. I reckon he's earned his retirement, don't you!?
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5772
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29 »
    Absolutely.
    Respect to him for making this decision. Commonwealth Games in your home country, in a velodrome named after you, must have been hard to give up on as a final farewell, hats off that he lets the younger riders take the stage.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 13:31 »
    End of an era. Arguably the greatest kilo rider of his generation, and to go from that to being the dominant force in men's Kierin for half a decade as well as a champion match sprinter sets him on another level from most track riders.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 778
    « Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 13:42 »
    Yup, must have been a heartbreaker of call to make. But I am sure they'll squeeze in a way to solute him and his career over in Glasgow.

I suspect that without Hoy cycling wouldn't quite be the headline grabber that it currently is, in the UK. His success opened (and kept open) quite a few doors for others to pile through.

It's befitting he's making room for those that followed, who earned their place to ride too. And who will have to carry the torch from this point out. A home crowd introduction without having to ride in his 'last ride' shadow will benefit them too.

The buzz in Edinburgh when he brought his medals back 'home' was great. More folk who trotted out to see the open bus tour(s) than we get to the city centre crits they have been staging (since).

Alex Salmond will have to shelf a dream pre-independence photo opp though. In the run up to that, he'd love to have had another big blip on the Scottish-pride radar.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3389
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 14:43 »
    to me, that is just class. 

To be able to say "I dont think I am the best choice for my country" and let someone else do it is just selfless.

Kudos to you Sir.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #86 on: April 18, 2013, 18:47 »
    A great rider, a great champion, and a great ambassador for both his sport and cycling in the UK in general.  Chapeau, and thanks for the memories Chris.

• ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3232
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #87 on: August 22, 2013, 21:31 »
    So, it looks like Sir Bradley is not the only one with one eye on Rio 2016 already...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/540034/mark-cavendish-to-make-return-to-track-competition.html

Cav will team up with Owain Doull, the reigning British IP champion who took bronze in the 2012 British Madison Championships, at the International Belgian Open on September 6th. He'll take to the boards for the Scratch race, as well.

This is all because of the stupid interesting new rules governing qualification for the UCI World Cups and World Championships. Cycling Weekly say Olympic selection is affected, too, but I think they're wrong. The BOC will pick Team GB for Rio, with little or no regard for the men at Aigle (even if it's Brian Cookson at the time...)
  • ReplyReply

• Froome's Thoughts

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 113
    • Cycling blogger, Team Sky, Chris Froome
      • Froome's Thoughts
    « Reply #88 on: September 25, 2013, 17:33 »
    The London velodrome which hosted cycling at the 2012 Olympics is to stage the 2016 Track World Championships
  • ReplyReply
  • Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

~ Albert Einstein, letter to his son Eduard, 1930

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r