collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5587
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Track - General news thread
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2014, 17:55 »
Which reminds me:
The Copenhagen (well, Ballerup) Sixdays start tomorrow!
I probably won't have go and watch this year - no time before Monday, and the prices for the final two days are over the moon.
But looking forward to follow it from afar; and maybe I'll decide to just go for cheapest ticket for Monday and/or Tuesday.

Preview (in *dk):
Feltet.dk: Optakt til 6-dagesløbet

Post Merge: January 29, 2014, 19:20
Found a preview in English as well:
Ballerup Sixdays preview on UIV website
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 19:20 by Fus87, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
    2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1381
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #91 on: March 09, 2014, 09:19 »
     What on Earth is going on?
    Just announced that the venue for the 2015 World championships is.......................
    .................................Mexico. :angry
    So, they once again host 2 of the 4 major events for the second year running.

Looks like I'll get to go to just a solitary WC again, next season. :(
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #92 on: March 09, 2014, 09:27 »
    Looks like I'll get to go to just a solitary WC again, next season. :(
    At least you get that. Here in Denmark, we haven't had a Worlds or WC since 2010; and the Sixdays are overpriced and often not that action-packed as a multi-discipline event (unless you go on the final day, which is even more overpriced).
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #93 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55 »
    At least you get that. Here in Denmark, we haven't had a Worlds or WC since 2010; and the Sixdays are overpriced and often not that action-packed as a multi-discipline event (unless you go on the final day, which is even more overpriced).

Well, I just found out that I might have jumped the gun.
    This info is from a pretty reliable source, so we sent it to contacts in Japan........
    ....who sent back an article stating that the new Paris velodrome had next year's WCs.......
    (the only thing about Paris is that it's only held a small "test" event, so far)

God, I hope we are wrong and it's Paris.......
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #94 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40 »
    Well some is confirmed:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aguascalientes-to-host-world-track-championships-in-2015

The 2015 track World Championships will be held in Aguascalientes, the Mexican government commission for sports announced. It is the first time that Mexico will play host to the World Championships. The Mexican city Guadelajara will organize one of the World Cup races in 2014, as it did this season.

Aguascalientes hosted a World Cup race this season and it proved to be a very fast track. Located 1,800 metres above sea level, no fewer than seven official world records were set during the World Cup meeting last December. François Pervis rode two and a half seconds faster than the previous, 12-year-old world record in the kilometre, and four other riders also broke finished inside the 2001 world record time of Arnaud Tournant.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #95 on: March 10, 2014, 19:12 »
     Crap, my info was right.

That's 4 major events in just 2 velodromes in 2 years for one "lesser" nation.
    The UCI's globalization of the sport, looks more like polarization.
    (might as well be at the Pole, if you live in Europe.)

Then there's the ongoing issue with clen.
    Hope they stock up on plenty of tuna.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #96 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51 »
    Hang on:

The UCI notes the press reports that the 2015 Track World Championships have been awarded to Aguascalientes, Mexico. These reports are incorrect. Other bids are under consideration and a formal decision has yet to be taken by the UCI Management Committee.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 11:27 »
    For those wanting a last fix of track cycling, the final round of the Revolution series will be streamed live:
    Afternoon session (from 14:00 CET, 13:00 GMT)
    Evening session (from 20:00 CET; 19:00 GMT)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #98 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43 »
    Also, the first Danish Sixdays star, Kay Werner, the founder of "pair no. 7" at the Copenhagen Sixdays, passed away Thursday night at the age of 92.

An obituary by Henrik Elmgreen:
    http://feltet.dk/nyheder/kay_werner_manden_der_skabte_par_nummer_7_er_doed/

A shorter version in English:
    Kay Werner Nielsen in memoriam

Thursday 13th of March died in Copenhagen the former professional top-rider Kay Werner Nielsen at the age of 92.
    Nielsen was the first real Danish Sixday-Star. He won in 1951 in Copenhagen the first of his 14 6-Days wins and achieved the last ten years later in 1961. He was the man, who created the legend of the famous Danish “Team No. 7”, always in the Danish colors. His first partner was Evan Klamer, but in 1958 he teamed with Palle Lykke, with whom he won 8 6-Days. Later on teams like Frank – Ørsted, Veggerby – Madsen and in recent years Mørkøv – Rasmussen have carried on the great traditions.
    Nielsen was also an endurance-rider of high international standard. 13 times in a row, from 1948 to 1960, he won the Danish pro Championship in 5 Km indiv. Pursuit and three times he was on the podium in the World Championships in the same discipline with silver in Zurich 1953 (beaten by the legendary Sid Patterson in the finale) and two times bronze in Milano 1951 and in Copenhagen 1956. In 1956 he was beaten by Jacques Anquetil in the ½ finale. Anquetil lost the finale to Italian Messina, but afterwards Anquetil said to L’Equipe, that is was in fact Nielsen and not Messina who defeated him in Copenhagen…
    In September 1956, at the age of 35, Nielsen made an attempt on the hour-record in Vigorelli/Milan. With 45,306 Km he didn’t beat the World Record, but his result was among the very best achieved so far, and it was for many years a Danish Record.
    After his career Nielsen was for some years President of the Danish Pro Cycling Federation and from 1977 until 1983 sport director at the 6-Days in Forum/Copenhagen.

Henrik Elmgreen
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #99 on: March 15, 2014, 18:38 »
    The Revoluion series in the Olympic velodrome is live on youtube from 7pm/uk/8pm cet

http://m.youtube.com/user/FACECycling
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4450
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #100 on: March 25, 2014, 16:10 »
    Track at the Winter Olympics?  :S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/26734781
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3183
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #101 on: March 25, 2014, 16:24 »
    The Revoluion series in the Olympic velodrome is live on youtube from 7pm/uk/8pm cet

http://m.youtube.com/user/FACECycling

I was there - bonus points if you spot me...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 847
    « Reply #102 on: March 25, 2014, 16:29 »
    Track at the Winter Olympics?  :S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/26734781

Weird! Cyclocross at the Winter Olympics makes more sense but I see where Cookson is coming from here. Most (non WC) track events are scheduled in the road off-season anyway, and the chance to re-gain some lost events like the kilo would be wonderful.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #103 on: March 25, 2014, 18:35 »
     What? I'm supposed to be going to Rio, not Pyeong flipping chang.
    The track season takes place during the European winter, so it kind
    of makes sense.
     How do they make the change though: will it be a 2 year, or a 6 year gap?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #104 on: March 25, 2014, 18:52 »
    It is an interesting idea, but I personally consider a Winter Olympic medal less significant than a Summer Olympics one (possibly due to my sports orientation and country of residence). Therefore I am not so convinced about riders going off and winning medals which may of less significance...Additionally, the summer Olympics come at a time where it is summer (duh) here in England and it develops an interest in the Olympics of huge proportions (even if not in England). But I am not so sure about the timing of the Winter Olympics, I for one wouldn't be able to watch most of it, whilst in the Summer I could follow every second.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #105 on: April 11, 2014, 23:37 »

Aguascalientes:#rainbow wearer number 2. :D .

BBC report video:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/27000405
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:44 by Mellow Velo »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #106 on: October 14, 2014, 15:09 »
    It's time for the Sixdays again.

The field for the Amsterdam Sixdays has been announced:
    1. Niki Terpstra / Yoeri Havik
    2. Alex Rasmussen / Marc Hester
    3. Leif Lampater / Nick Stöpler
    4. Jasper De Buyst / Pim Ligthart
    5. Melvin Boskamp / Jesper Asselman
    6. Luke Roberts / Tim Veldt
    7. Dylan Groenewegen / Nolan Hoffmann
    8. Denis Rugovac / Sebastian Wotschke
    9. Guy East / Daniel Holloway
    10. Didier Caspers / Melvin van Zijl
    11. Marco Zanotti / Mitchell Huenders
    12. Christian Kos / Patrick Kos
  • ReplyReply

• batchuba

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 98
    • Vuelta 2013 Green Jersey Winner
    « Reply #107 on: October 21, 2014, 22:16 »
    Eurosport were providing relatively lavish coverage of the Amsterdam Six-Day, but a Derney driver got badly hurt and the whole second night was cancelled. :(

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/news/racing-halted-six-days-amsterdam-serious-injury-derny-driver_350139
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #108 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49 »
    Gent Six in review...

I love Six Day racing, which is actually in complete contrast to my only experience of it trackside, at this same event a few years ago. It was inexplicably dull, perhaps because the overall had been sewn up with a couple of days to go and the biggest other draw was that famous bricktop Erik Zabel, and the boozehounds in the centre were particularly rowdy.

I tuned in to Sporza's coverage of the last day of the Gent Six Day yesterday and it was thrilling with the final overall decided in the last fifteen minutes of the whole event. One could almost feel the pressure lifting off the shoulders of the winners De Ketele-De Buyst.

The crowd got a home win but what I think it really wanted was a Keisse-Cavendish victory, given the roaring reception the glitterball pairing got whenever it milked the applause or took a hard-fought win in one of the rounds.

Keisse, known to road fans as a humble OPQS dom, for that infamous stage win in Turkey a couple of years ago and to the population at large for his legal wrangles over doping, is a big star on the track and remains the darling of Gent as a multiple past winner. Keisse's pairing with road teammate Cavendish, who finished second here back in 2007, was a big success, regardless of what their perennial pee-on-chips boss thought of it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 14:59 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #109 on: November 24, 2014, 13:58 »

Just one more thing ...

What I meant to say about Pi ss On Your Chips Lefevere's moans about paying out a subsidy on the kit representation was that his sponsors must have easily gotten fifteen grand's worth of exposure with this golden pairing.

Never in the Blinkered History Of Six Day Racing According To L'arri has there been a team that got to ride in their full trade team kit and, in this country at least, the week's action has generated a whole lot of press, especially with Cavendish and Peta and Delilah Grace acting as a cut-price, photogenic stand-in for William, Kate and whatever their kid is called.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #110 on: November 24, 2014, 14:23 »
    Never in the Blinkered History Of Six Day Racing According To L'arri has there been a team that got to ride in their full trade team kit

Without wanting to pee on your chips, Laz, the 3M rider in the pic of Iljo and Mark looks to be in full trade team kit to me...  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #111 on: November 24, 2014, 14:55 »
    Without wanting to pee on your chips, Laz, the 3M rider in the pic of Iljo and Mark looks to be in full trade team kit to me...  :shh

A slightly awkward case that but I suppose you're right.

3M's pair consisted of Michael Vingerling and Yoeri Havik. Vingerling (in the picture) is a regular Team 3M (UCI Continental) rider whilst Havik is not (he was at CT De Rijke in 2014). Curiously enough, Team 3M's Melvin Van Zijl was also performing in Gent, albeit for "Eurotyre-JDK".
    ;)

Presumably that fifteen grand per head is the standard cost for sponsors to enter a pairing but usually it's the same (typically Belgian) firms like John Saey sponsoring every time. I still despise John Saey - which sponsored Madison World Champs Torres and Muntaner this year - for the horrendous, peasantlike advertising campaign it had on the wall of its warehouse which used to assault my eyes every time I drove to and from Gent or the coast.

OPQS being a solid road trade team entering a Six pair is highly unusual but I should have said that they didn't wear their standard kit anyway, because race numbers have to be printed on the jersey itself, so the design was actually different on the back:

• ReplyReply

• neppe

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #112 on: November 24, 2014, 15:31 »
    Weird! Cyclocross at the Winter Olympics makes more sense but I see where Cookson is coming from here. Most (non WC) track events are scheduled in the road off-season anyway, and the chance to re-gain some lost events like the kilo would be wonderful.

Both seems highly unlikely. Adding cyclocross to the winter olympics would limit the number of potential host cities even more. It wouldn't be a problem in Sochi or Vancouver, but for places like Lake Placid or Lillehammer it would potentially mean cyclocrossing at 20 C minus, or have half a meter of snow falling during the race.

IOC already have problems with getting host cities. Only Beijing and Almaty are still in the running for the 2022 winter games. A big problem is the high cost. Sochi scared even IOC. Another venue, a velodrome, will only add to the costs. So will a lot more athlets. And then there is the problem of what to do with a velodrome at a winter destination after the games are over.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #113 on: November 24, 2014, 15:33 »
    Also interesting that although the Zipp wheels are obvious, there are no markings on the frames. Is that a 6-day thing?

Eurosport had coverage of the Amsterdam 6-day a while ago, and all the riders had brightly-coloured jerseys with each sponsor, but usually wore trade team shorts. Yoeri Havik was with Niki Terpstra on that occasion.

Kirby's favourite team was Kip & Snack, sponsoring Hester and Rasmussen. He couldn't stop saying the name... :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #114 on: November 24, 2014, 16:12 »
    Also interesting that although the Zipp wheels are obvious, there are no markings on the frames. Is that a 6-day thing?

Eurosport had coverage of the Amsterdam 6-day a while ago, and all the riders had brightly-coloured jerseys with each sponsor, but usually wore trade team shorts. Yoeri Havik was with Niki Terpstra on that occasion.

Kirby's favourite team was Kip & Snack, sponsoring Hester and Rasmussen. He couldn't stop saying the name... :fp

Correct re kit. I think you can wear everything but jerseys, pretty much, as if you were leading a jersey competition in a stage race.

As for the bikes, no, it isn't a Six Day thing. Specialized S-Works obviously doesn't make the sort of frames these guys need. Everyone else was on clearly branded Look, Dolan, Time, ... etc and not to forget those mysterious German FES beasts.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10244
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #115 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01 »
    a lot of track and OZ centered but cool vid

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10244
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #117 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28 »
    Para cycling will be on the program at Tokyo 2020, reports the BBC.

... para-cycling was included despite "serious reservations".

Para-cycling faced losing out after cycling's governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI) missed the original deadline to submit its application for inclusion.

However Sir Philip said the IPC's main concern around the sport was the lack of "high-performance track cyclists and the number of opportunities for them to compete at an international level".

"Although the IPC governing board approved the inclusion of cycling, it did express serious reservations regarding the sustainability of the track cycling discipline," he added.

He has urged the UCI to do more before the decision on how many medals will be open to each sport is made in 2017.

More questions to be asked of Brian and the motley crew over in Aigle
  • ReplyReply

•