collapse

Poll

Do you agree with Qatar being given the Worlds 2016?

Yes - It should go to countries who have not had it before
2 (22.2%)
No - Boring, no fans or culture.
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
World Championships 2016 - QATAR
« on: September 19, 2012, 18:36 »
World Championships 2016 - QATAR

Daniel Benson‏@dnlbenson

Qatar confirmed for 2016 UCI Worlds

Thought it was worth starting a thread on it  because it still leaves us with a 2016 WC thread (albeit a very premature one) but primarily to hear posters' view on this particular type of venture.

A lot of negative views were viewed concerning the topic of the Tour of Beijing and Hangzou, but this is a totally different playing field. Not only is it a WT race but it is the World championships themselves and for it to be claimed by a nation and culture which have nearly no connection the Pro racing scene is something which many fans are surely against

Furthermore this is surely another one of those mass money making projects which the UCI are so desperately attempting to initiate and as the Tour of Beijing has as of yet demonstrated they do not seem to be all that successful. To mar the spectacle which is the World Championships for money (if it turns out that way) is very possibly one steep too far even for the UCI

And of course there is the UCI's whole globalisation of cycling moto which seems to be coming into play, it has attracted plenty of criticism in the past, but maybe it is in fact fair considering that cycling possibly does need to keep up with the times and some of the lesser cycling nations do need an injection of publicity to step up their national interest?

And this article certainly sums it up..
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534843/european-financial-crisis-may-affect-future-world-champs-venues.html

The World Championships is looking for a home for the coming years. Though Italy and Spain are planning to host the coming editions there may be some changes due to the economic crisis and Qatar may step in.
Supposedly this mass money making business may replace places and venues which truly treasure cycling and have histories steeped in cycling culture. All for the sake of money..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    Re: World Championships 2016 - QATAR
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 18:43 »
    I dont mind Quatar worlds. They havent had the worlds before and the worlds are an event that is supposed to take place in a different place every year, so its better than say italy again.

I would prefer not another sprinters worlds just 5 years after the last one, but maybe the heat and wind will make it interesting.

Also lack of fans will suck.

But this isnt as bad as Mcquaid saying he wants to replace the Giro with the Tour of California and Vuelta with Colorado.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11191
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 19:04 »
    Caught in between really

It maybe boring as bat sh*t, but it is good to go to somewhere new, but the UCI is getting huge money through a back door I am sure, but it could be interesting if the weather plays its role, but

well you get the idea re the weather

This report describes the typical weather at the Doha International Airport (Doha, Qatar) weather station over the course of an average September.

Daily High and Low Temperature in September

Median Cloud Cover in September

Probability of Precipitation at Some Point in the Day in Septembe

Relative Humidity in September

Wind Speed in September

Wind Directions in September

so the riders come out of low teens into flipping hot with stupid humidity and the possibility of echelons   ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 19:20 »
    And just to add to all of this..

the Inner Ring‏@inrng

Also host of the 2014 worlds, Ponferrada in Spain, has been given 30 days to gets its finances in order and pay the UCI or it will lose race

Which may very well be what the cyclingweekly article was referring to.
    Once again the contrast is something which makes me sad and disappointed when considered in context. That a country like Spain, though they may have had it many times and all that, may not be able to raise the finances and will not be permitted to host the Worlds whilst Qatar can. All because of the money..
  • ReplyReply

• nvpacchi

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • Puttin' infinity up on trial
    « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 19:24 »
    how do they expect small budget teams to bring a 5-man squad for the TTT?

Not sure how I feel about this yet.

Who knows by 2016 the UCI might have 0 jurisdiction over teams  :-X
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6780
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 19:34 »
    What's that stink? What? Petrodollars?

Great race for Kittel, led out by Degenkolb. Wow, NL might have to select Van Hummel, unless Bos or Van Poppel or whoever is still sprinting for placings by then.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 21:30 »
    Guardini ftw  :win 

Or the wind rips it to pieces and we have echelons all over the shop  :-*

As for the location, I'm a bit undecided atm.  The tours of Oman and Qatar early on in the season aren't too bad I don't think so it may be all right.  On the other hand, I envisage very few fans at the side of the road, it being pan flat meaning we're reliant on wind, thoroughly uninspiring and all in all a bit meh.  I do understand the UCI's need/desire to take cycling into new parts of the world, but this is clearly driven by shed loads of $$$ wending its way towards the UCI's bank account, which leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth tbh. 
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    « Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 23:00 »
    I don't mind it. Happy to see a WC in a new country, the same old places in Italy and Spain we've seen. Bring the WC to Japan, Colombia, Venezuela, Ireland, Norway, China, Egypt.. However, having a decent parcours with enough fans on the sides of the road should always be a requirement.

I'm not sure what kind of parcours Qatar could make, there is no chance of hills whatsoever? A echelon WC would not be bad either. In fact, it could be very entertaining. Probably they chose it for all the wrong reasons, but who cares, it'll be interesting nonetheless.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10 »
    Cav will get a second year in rainbows after all
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:13 »
    Cav will get a second year in rainbows after all

Cav might be a bit old by then 4 years time ?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7615
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:13 »
    Well, Copenhagen will no longer be the second-flattest Worlds in history (after Zolder). That's one good thing.
    Apart from that: Meh.
    Qatar hasn't had the Worlds before, so I can accept it happening once. But 2014 (if Ponferrada gets booted) AND 2016 - that would be overkill even for a traditional Worlds venue like Valkenburg or Verona. Even more so for a place that consists of nothing but flat desert.

Basically, we'll have to rely on the heat and the wind to make any selection. That can't be good; what if it's one of the not-so-windy days? Bunch sprint of 203 riders? Also, the UCI may just delay the Worlds to make it less hot - but until when? Mid-October? November? Great way to prolong the season, and devalue the Worlds if only 10% of the world top bother to show up, with the rest enjoying the beaches or starting training for the next year.

And about the "developing cycling in smaller cycling countries": I'm fine with that. But Qatar is not a smaller cycling country, it's a petrodollar country that hosts a start of the season race every year. Can anybody name one Qatari cyclist (without help of the internet)?
    If they wanted to develop cycling, they should give it to Morocco, Malaysia, South Africa, Brazil or something like that.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53 »
    Cav might be a bit old by then 4 years time ?
    Cav will be 31, which is not old at all for a sprinter. Cipo was still winning bags of GT stages in his early thirties and he won Worlds at 35.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03 »
    Cav will be 31, which is not old at all for a sprinter. Cipo was still winning bags of GT stages in his early thirties and he won Worlds at 35.

Jeepers is Cav only 27 been around forever wonder if sky will sign him for 2017  ;)

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 12:26 »
    Fabian Schnaidt 2016 World Champion.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 17:56 »
    Bring the WC to Japan, Colombia, Venezuela, Ireland, Norway, China, Egypt..

A WC in any of those countries (apart from China or Egypt perhaps) would have the potential to be awesome
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 18:10 »

Cipo was on something to help and i dont mean his bike although that was invloved allegedly ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 18:30 »
    Petacchi, Freire, Zabel. Great sprinters have long careers.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 09:42 »
    And about the "developing cycling in smaller cycling countries": I'm fine with that. But Qatar is not a smaller cycling country, it's a petrodollar country that hosts a start of the season race every year. Can anybody name one Qatari cyclist (without help of the internet)?
    If they wanted to develop cycling, they should give it to Morocco, Malaysia, South Africa, Brazil or something like that.

I completely agree. As a fan of F1 I have watched classic tracks like Estoril and Magny-Cours get scrapped from the calendar in favour of Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and Shanghai. These new tracks have none of the history, none of the character and none of the fan-base of the traditional heartland and the racing is just not as good. The same applies here

I understand that the FIA and UCI want to expand the fan-base of the sport but to expand to the places where there is money, rather than any demand or chance of building something long-lasting, is greedy, and near incomprehensible for fans.

There are some great up-and-coming riders in Africa and South America. Canada has the Giro winner. There are Japanese riders in the World Tour. Any of these countries would be much better choices than Qatar. At least there would be a chance of the van Rensburg or Henao families lining the streets in support!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34 »
    Got to keep Fat Pat and Verbruggen in the style to which they've become accustomed, eh...back-handers galore.... >:(
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6780
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 17:34 »
    Got to keep Fat Pat and Verbruggen in the style to which they've become accustomed, eh...back-handers galore.... >:(

How can this race be anything but your wonderful username? As has been said, unless the wind is up, this will be woeful.

In default of a proper sporting challenge and a proper crowd spectacle (such as we're assured Sunday and next year), how can this race be anything but petrodollar laudering?

I'm all for development of cycling but not at the expense of decent racing. Look at Sunday's all-star Spanish team: who could they field with a realistic chance on this terrain? Koldo Fernandez?
  • ReplyReply

• Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 17:52 »
    might change my user name to Trolling Along...on the subject of Qatar, at least...

Oh it makes me  >:( >:( >:( >:(
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 17:56 »
    How can this race be anything but your wonderful username? As has been said, unless the wind is up, this will be woeful.

In default of a proper sporting challenge and a proper crowd spectacle (such as we're assured Sunday and next year), how can this race be anything but petrodollar laudering?

I'm all for development of cycling but not at the expense of decent racing. Look at Sunday's all-star Spanish team: who could they field with a realistic chance on this terrain? Koldo Fernandez?
    Speaks volumes about Spain more than anything doesn't that?

The UCI are trying, and have been for a while, to emulate the FIA and have failed miserably. F1 was never going to sustain itself with the costs of the late 90s and had to reach out to new horizons. They hit some miserable failures like Turkey is, but along the way they've managed to have had raging success a la SE Asia and most of the rest of the world.

Cycling does seem to need the money, and they need to whore up, but are they whoring up in the right places is the question.

Qatar won't be crap racing wise if there are any winds, but a 100 man GB or Germany orgy will not be good.
    Australia and Pakistan played all their matches in Sharjah and UAE night to avoid being melted by 45+ C just a couple of weeks ago.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 18:43 »
    Night cycling... now there is something that might make it more interesting...
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 19:04 »
    And just to add to all of this..

the Inner Ring‏@inrng

Also host of the 2014 worlds, Ponferrada in Spain, has been given 30 days to gets its finances in order and pay the UCI or it will lose race

Which may very well be what the cyclingweekly article was referring to.
    Once again the contrast is something which makes me sad and disappointed when considered in context. That a country like Spain, though they may have had it many times and all that, may not be able to raise the finances and will not be permitted to host the Worlds whilst Qatar can. All because of the money..

Apparently Turkey is on standby
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 19:07 »
    I don't mind it. Happy to see a WC in a new country, the same old places in Italy and Spain we've seen. Bring the WC to Japan, Colombia, Venezuela, Ireland, Norway, China, Egypt.. However, having a decent parcours with enough fans on the sides of the road should always be a requirement.

I'm not sure what kind of parcours Qatar could make, there is no chance of hills whatsoever? A echelon WC would not be bad either. In fact, it could be very entertaining. Probably they chose it for all the wrong reasons, but who cares, it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Qatars tallest peaks..

PosNameRegionElevationLatitude/Longitude
    1   Ḩazm al Masḩabīyah Ar Rayyān   95 m   24.745 / 50.979
    2   Abraq Farhūd Ar Rayyān   44 m   24.561 / 51.087
    3   Abū al Qarāqīr Ar Rayyān   25 m   25.517 / 50.85
    4   Fulayyiḩ Al Wakrah   19 m   24.86 / 51.286
    5   Qarn Abū Wā’il Ar Rayyān   17 m   24.672 / 50.861
    6   Saylayn Al Wakrah   11 m   24.898 / 51.51
    7   Niqyān Umm Sa‘īd Al Wakrah   10 m   24.932 / 51.516
    8   Jabal Marmī Al Wakrah   7 m   24.869 / 51.41

there is some dispute over the height of Ḩazm al Masḩabīyah, some sites have it as 112m, i guess it depends on the wind and how much sand has been blown off the peak.

its a fair climb though, 500m at around 1-2%, starts at around 70m above sea level sadly.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 19:24 »
    Night cycling... now there is something that might make it more interesting...

To be fair,  the TTT at the Vuelta a few years ago was pretty cool
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36 »
    Would be logistically nigh on impossible for a long race. The tunnel in the Monaco GP being an example of how not conducive to telly it is (brightness adjustment and all that carp). Unless they hold the race in the Losail circuit or somewhere similar, criterium style and flood lit.

Or they could air condition the whole country and expel the heat to outer space. I'd expect them to bankrupt the country for an event.
  • ReplyReply

•