collapse

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1661
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
Re: Operation Puerto
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45 »
The question is who? Will they be current, high profile athletes or retired, foreign nobodies? I strongly suspect that many of the blood bags will somehow happen to be "untestable". The rest will simply confirm what we knew (Valverde, Basso, Mancebo, Sevilla etc) and possibly some long retired smaller names in other sports but that will be about it.

Fuentes offered to give his full client list on the stand in court - his reward was immediate removal from the courtroom. He's also received several death threats. Nothing ground breaking will come of this, everything that was permitted came out in 2006.

I guess it all depends on how much money he is offered.

• ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #331 on: January 13, 2016, 12:07 »
    I guess it all depends on how much money he is offered.
    And who the benefactors are.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11183
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #332 on: April 13, 2016, 12:51 »
    https://twitter.com/SkyOrla/status/720216047064903681

June is the end of statue of limitations so not long now 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #333 on: April 14, 2016, 00:45 »
    No decision in sight.

Statute of Limitations ends in June.

Make of that what you will.

FWIW...money, cover-up, lawyers, money, reputations, damage limitation, lawyers, money, seedy sh*t, money, cover-up.

FFS.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #339 on: June 14, 2016, 12:02 »
    Holy crap, this is such big news with potentially huge consequences. Lets hope they actively chase after finding out to which bloodbag every single one belongs.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #341 on: June 14, 2016, 12:53 »
    wow - huge news
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #342 on: June 14, 2016, 13:28 »
    I will be interested to see how (or if) they go about trying to set aside the statute of limitations.

As I understand it, the SOL applies in a way that the time is from the time of the offense until the start of proceedings against the athlete.

The blood bags were discovered in 2006 or so ... and were handed to authorities at that time.   Will be interested to see if they can argue that proceedings started back then against all athletes whose blood was seized.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #343 on: June 14, 2016, 13:56 »
     There may be the odd, "mystery" cyclist left in the pro peloton, but surely we already know most of the names?
    As for the 12 athletes, they have become the equivalent of cyclists in the noughties: soft targets. Everybody now expects athletes to be dabbling in the dark arts.
    Meanwhile, not a Real or Barca footballer in sight, never mind a certain Mallorcan tennis player.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7559
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #344 on: June 14, 2016, 14:02 »
    I will be interested to see how (or if) they go about trying to set aside the statute of limitations.
    They scrapped the SoL in the USADA case against Lance et al., with some rather imaginative arguments.
    If they really wanted to, they could do the same here.

The question is: Do they want to?
    I'm not holding my breath. :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #345 on: June 14, 2016, 14:08 »
    they applied some very vague reasoning in the Armstrong case - reaching and stretching in ways that were never tested.

If Armstrong had gone to arbitration and argued against the SOL ,... there is a fairly good chance he would have won that.  But he didnt, so USADA's argument was allowed as it was the only one presented.

Will be interesting to see if WADA, UCI or any other agency wants to try it on.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #346 on: June 14, 2016, 14:57 »
    They scrapped the SoL in the USADA case against Lance et al., with some rather imaginative arguments.
    If they really wanted to, they could do the same here.

As far as I remember that was a peculiarity of US law, where the SoL could be removed if there was an indication that an individual had taken action to defraud an investigation[1].

I don't know if that is a globally-applied maxim.

And that is before you get to questions of motivation to act at all...
     1. Or something...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #347 on: June 14, 2016, 15:09 »
    Let's hope the truth will out and the names we all suspect of being complicit in this are finally outed and punished.

• ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 269
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #349 on: June 14, 2016, 16:57 »
    Despite the ruling I can't seem to  get that excited about this. With the passing of the statute of limitations there will be no sanctions so beyond a round of "I told you so" and "I never suspected him" it might go out with more of a whimper than a bang.

Here's a picture of everyone's favourite comedy doper Ricco. He's the only guy who'll probably ask for his bag back so he can use it...

• ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #350 on: June 14, 2016, 19:34 »
    When I first saw the news I assumed it meant ALL the blood bags, but it seems Spain is still protecting Real and Barca (and probably Nadal) and throwing Cycling under the bus. If there had not been so much noise around doping in athletics in the past few years I suspect even fewer blood bags would have been released in this judgement.
  • ReplyReply

• Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #351 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39 »
    they applied some very vague reasoning in the Armstrong case - reaching and stretching in ways that were never tested.

If Armstrong had gone to arbitration and argued against the SOL ,... there is a fairly good chance he would have won that.  But he didnt, so USADA's argument was allowed as it was the only one presented.

Will be interesting to see if WADA, UCI or any other agency wants to try it on.

Nope. Tolling the SOL is a well established legal procedure. WADA commissioned a independent review of USADA's use of it and they verified it. WADA is already exploring the possibility here, but I think that will be much harder.

Back on topic. Claissciomano = Flecha.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 14:46 by Race Radio »
    Pro Cycling is like sausage, I love it but I don't want to know how it is made.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #352 on: June 15, 2016, 09:58 »
    When I first saw the news I assumed it meant ALL the blood bags, but it seems Spain is still protecting Real and Barca (and probably Nadal) and throwing Cycling under the bus. If there had not been so much noise around doping in athletics in the past few years I suspect even fewer blood bags would have been released in this judgement.

But some of the bags were 'lost in the post' years ago weren't they?

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #353 on: June 15, 2016, 10:16 »
    Nope. Tolling the SOL is a well established legal procedure. WADA commissioned a independent review of USADA's use of it and they verified it. WADA is already exploring the possibility here, but I think that will be much harder.

Back on topic. Cowboy = Flecha.

Their use of it was ok - legal and valid - but unchallenged.

They argued that Armstrong was involved in a conspiracy to defraud and dope the team - and therefore the SOL should be set aside because he actively attempted to bypass the enforcement.

His lawyers would have had a good argument against this - and it would have been interesting to see what the arbitration would have ruled.    Because he refused to go to arbitration, the panel of arbitrators decided that the arguments were valid.

Essentially if they only hear one side of the argument, its pretty likely they will go with it.   

In the case of the Operation Peurto guys, they will be actively arguing against this kind of application of SOL by-pass
  • ReplyReply

• Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #354 on: June 15, 2016, 10:31 »

In the case of the Operation Peurto guys, they will be actively arguing against this kind of application of SOL by-pass

I think it will be hard for WADA to toll the SOL with the Puerto bags as there is less evidence of efforts to obstruct official investigations.

I disagree that USADA's tolling would not have held up. WADA's independent review agreed

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-will-not-appeal-usada-decision-on-lance-armstrong/

It was not the first USADA case were the SOL was tolled, they were also successful with Hellebuyck. With Puerto WADA's strategy would likely hing on if riders lied to an official investigation. I wonder if Spain or Portugal ever really investigated it?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #355 on: June 15, 2016, 12:15 »
    I think it will be hard for WADA to toll the SOL with the Puerto bags as there is less evidence of efforts to obstruct official investigations.
    It wasn't as much obstructing of official investigations as it was the official investigation sitting on its hands.

But I guess one could argue that this wasn't the athletes' fault.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4501
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #357 on: July 06, 2016, 08:41 »
    Eufemiano’s defense claims that “the bags were obtained in a patient/doctor situation, in a strictly private manner and that they should remain this way”.

To his belief turning over the bags violates the most fundamental right to privacy, intimacy and confidentiality between a patient and a doctor, and therefore since he was absolved the bags should be returned to him.

“The outcome of turning over the bags will be the public bashing of the donors only to satisfy the sick prying of some parts of society.“
    He has a point  :slow unfortunately patient-doctor confidentiality doesn't mean much in court.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #358 on: July 09, 2016, 16:44 »
    He has a point  :slow unfortunately patient-doctor confidentiality doesn't mean much in court.

I my self also am conflicted in this.

On one side I think it will be good for cycling to finally get these names out in the open, so we can close this chapter once and for all

On the other side there is also no doubt in my mind that handing over the BB's ultimately is wrong. The BB's were obtained for a different case altogether and Doping was at the time not a crime in Spain. How a legal investigations material can then later be turned over to someone else, not even with the police, is confusing to me. It seems at the core unjust.

So while whoever this injustice may hit ultimately may deserve what they get, I am not sure that I am happy with a ruling that sacrifices justice in the system for a preceived sense of justice against a few individuals.

That being said, when this will happen I do hope it will be not just cycling as well.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #359 on: July 12, 2016, 13:12 »
    They weren't classic patients with a classic doctor though. They went to Fuentes specifically to improve their athletic ability, not to treat a disease. Fuentes just happens to be a doctor (in gynaecology).
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.