collapse

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: The Kimmage Defence Fund
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 17:33 »
bloody hell, its jumped $6000 and 100 donators this morning.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/nearly-20000-raised-for-paul-kimmages-defense-against-mcquaid-verbruggen_239766
Seems like the Americans are more generous than the British  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 20:26 »
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/250312413021343744/photo/1

And this personifies the ludicrousy of the situation.

A picture tweeted by Kimmage himself of him and Mcquaid arm in arm after the 1985 Amateur WCs.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3268
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 20:51 »
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/250312413021343744/photo/1

Not only is it no longer 1985...it's not 1999, or even 2009, as Hein and Pat are discovering with that rapidly escalating Kimmage fund. Times have changed. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 21:10 »
    the PK fund is acting as an anti UCI fund. as much as everyone likes and respects PK, they hate Pat and hein more.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 23:00 »
    the PK fund is acting as an anti UCI fund. as much as everyone likes and respects PK, they hate Pat and hein more.

There's a lot of truth in that. It could be the beginning of a paradigm shift, one that offers the warning:  anyone the UCI goes after just may get strong, public, financial support as well.

Hey, where's Floyd?  ::)

:wave
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 23:10 »
    Pretty amusing Twitter timeline from the man himself:
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage

A pertinent one here:
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/250332221376958464
    I am sure that every cent donated will be accounted for and well spent. A heartfelt thanks to everyone for the messages and support.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 02:41 »
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29 »
    Twitter starting to gain momentum Kimmage-wise. If those on here with an account could add their twits...
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 16:47 »
    If anyone wants to check the live status of the fund, it's on this page:

http://cyclismas.chipin.com/paul-kimmage-defense-fund

The widget thing seems to be stuck on $399  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 438
    • Awards: 2019 Giro CQ Game winner2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Official Prediction Game Champ2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction Champ
    « Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 20:44 »

Enjoy, but be warned, contains strong language..
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 22:22 »
    If anyone wants to check the live status of the fund, it's on this page:

http://cyclismas.chipin.com/paul-kimmage-defense-fund

The widget thing seems to be stuck on $399  ::)

its also in the first post of this thread ;)
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 06:01 »
    On what basis does anyone have to sue Kimmage, I have read his stuff, and he seems truthful. An ugly truth, but still, if it is truth it can't be slanderous.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11133
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35 »
    Vaughters, who allowed to Kimmage to embedded in his team during the 2008 Tour de France, has also said that a cloak of fear may have discouraged a greater number of riders and team managers from defending Kimmage.

“I feel like it’s unnecessary and that Paul is being unfairly singled out,” Vaughters told Cyclingnews when describing the UCI’s defamation case.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vaughters-defends-kimmage-ahead-of-uci-case
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 13:17 »
    Paul Kimmage
    David, good news, found a real pitbull of a lawyer to go after those two f*ckers.
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/251321614526992384

Paul Kimmage
    Ooops, sorry that was supposed to be a private message to @DavidWalshST
    https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/251321976646406144

:D
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 13:48 »
    Vaughters, who allowed to Kimmage to embedded in his team during the 2008 Tour de France, has also said that a cloak of fear may have discouraged a greater number of riders and team managers from defending Kimmage.

“I feel like it’s unnecessary and that Paul is being unfairly singled out,” Vaughters told Cyclingnews when describing the UCI’s defamation case.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vaughters-defends-kimmage-ahead-of-uci-case

I know I am very vocal in criticising Vaughter's  ::) but i dont believe him. My opinion and I vocalise it on another site.

But it took until yesterday for him to really give his backing to Kimmage, when now there is a real build of momentum behind this. When it first was news he tweeted soemthing very wishy washy and not the really strong message he gave yesterday. It is why i distrust the guy.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Rolling Along

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 16:51 »
    I am always a little sceptical re Vaughters.  I can't ignore that re this breakaway league he was happy to be getting into bed with Bruyneel, knowing full well what a $F&* he is, and with Armstrong backing it.  Just leaves this nasty taste in my mouth...and a small residual distrust...
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 18:10 by Rolling Along »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 08:36 »
    The fund has now surpassed $50,000!  :win

All that in only two weeks. Impressive.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04 »
    anyone know what the deal is with the extra cash ?

I personally would like Paul to write another book

focusing on Peds and corruption in cycling from the 1900 onwards 
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06 »

I personally would like Paul to write another book

focusing on Peds and corruption in cycling from the 1900 onwards

I would prefer a book on cycling since 2005 and all the new clean eras we were sold as snake oil.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08 »
    There's definitely more than enough material for a Rough Ride sequel: Paul's years as a journo culminating in the successful outcome (we hope) of this ridiculous lawsuit.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 14:57 »

What "extra" cash?  :-

It's not yet known how much this whole thing is going to cost Kimmage. Plus, he has already stated that if he wins, he intends on paying back every one of his donors.

[Edit]
    Ah, found the link (thanks to "thirteen" in The Clinic)
    http://jsachse.podomatic.com/entry/2012-09-29T15_25_21-07_00
    I hope will win this case, I hope we will get the costs, and I hope that everybody who has made a donation would be sent their money back. -Paul Kimmage
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 15:40 by Drummer Boy »

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 05:41 »
    What "extra" cash?  :-

It's not yet known how much this whole thing is going to cost Kimmage. Plus, he has already stated that if he wins, he intends on paying back every one of his donors.

[Edit]
    Ah, found the link (thanks to "thirteen" in The Clinic)
    http://jsachse.podomatic.com/entry/2012-09-29T15_25_21-07_00

Just sent Paul 5 years Mortgage payments, I will tell the missus that Paul hopes to pay us back, after the case is resolved, I am sure she will understand.
  • ReplyReply

• Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    « Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 09:38 »
    What an excellent start of the day thanks to Cyclismas (though it was available from monday, i've sighted this piece of art only now):

Crammed with love  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 14:21 »
    The counter now says only $19,000. Huh?

Oh wait, now it's back... Wonder what happened there. Caching perhaps.
  • ReplyReply

• Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    « Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 12:50 »
    An interview with former WADA president Richard Pound on Mr Kimmage's case, the dark side stuff, cycling governance and some personalities involved:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12997/Richard-Pound-Interview-The-Kimmage-case-Armstrong-the-governance-of-cycling-and-more.aspx
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 22:36 »
    I wouldnt normally quote blogs wholesale, but ive no idea if this comment will remain up.

Pat McQuaids sister, on Kimmage and the Defence Fund

http://lovingthebike.com/pro-cycling/d-fence

Ann Higginson • a day ago −

Has anybody who has followed this story stopped and reflected for a minute that Paul Kimmage might have an agenda and maybe even a 'personal' vendetta against Pat McQuaid? I declare here and now that I have a personal relationship with Pat McQuaid - he is my eldest brother. When we were growing up at home six of my seven brothers were racing cyclists (after their father before them) - cycling is in the blood (not epo!). My brothers, including Pat, were pretty handy on the bike and represented Ireland on many occasions at international level. Discussions during mealtimes were always dominated by cycle racing, invariably about the battles fought out on the road between the Kimmages (including Paul) and the McQuaid boys in that week's races or the strategies to be employed in upcoming races to beat them. Indeed I gather Paul's father Christie and our father Jim were rivals on the bike before them back in the 50s.

Pat McQuaid and Paul Kimmage both went on to join Professional teams and both were undoubtedly faced with the temptation/pressure to take drugs to enhance their performance. Paul Kimmage raced away for a number of years, as he admitted himself in his infamous book, taking drugs to improve his performance and just stay in the game as a domestique while Pat McQuaid it would seem took the decision after not more than a year as a pro that without taking drugs he would not have what it took to get to the top in bike racing so he retired from racing and pursued another career as a race promoter and then with the Irish Cycling Federation and UCI.

Only when Paul Kimmage retired from racing, and no longer had a vested financial interest in keeping quiet about it, did he write his book about the sport being rife with drugs!! Where is the integrity in that? Since he bore his soul, he has seemed intent on pinning the responsibility for his poor moral choice on the shoulders of others, be they Pat McQuaid, Hein Verbruggen, the UCI in general or Lance Armstrong to name but a few of his targets. Is Paul Kimmage resentful that Pat McQuaid didn't have the weakness of character Paul demonstrated by taking drugs and turning a blind eye to the immorality of what he was making a living at.

I am not for a minute saying that cycling does not have to seriously clean its act up - it does. The UCI has a major part to play in that. But I believe that in comparison to other sports the UCI has been aggressive in its fight against doping since Pat took office. It is not an easy task because they are constrained by the Laws of the land.

I was personally affected by the dishonesty of the peloton when in 1998 I was a publisher of a number of cycling magazines, including the Official Guide of the Tour de France. We had invested heavily in the Guide that year, producing English, French, German and even an Irish language edition to celebrate the Tour's Grand Départ in Ireland. When the Festina affair hit the fan it had a huge impact on our sales and we lost a lot of money that year which eventually put us out of business. So I could easily feel that the greed and dishonesty of the riders played no small part in costing me my livelihood. But ultimately I take responsibility for the decisions I took.

Paul Kimmage, through the notoriety he gained from the controversy surrounding his book has gone on to write about other sports including football and golf. I don't see him delving into the rights, wrongs and corruption in those sports and there are many issues. Of course not, he is not going to bite off the hand that feeds him....yet again. It's easy for him to pull cycling's house down - he doesn't stand to lose out financially from that any more. Sadly, it seems as if he feels it may purge him of his own feelings of guilt. I fear it won't.

A lot is said about the fact that Paul Kimmage in currently unemployed. It may just be that he is not a very good writer and publishers may consider him to be more of a liability. He seems to have a strong sense of 'entitlement' both as a former professional bike rider and now as a would be journalist.

Paul Kimmage has some support of late among journalists, many of them my friends and former colleagues, because the truth is many of them are running for cover. They have written for years about the 'heroic, superhuman' exploits of top cyclists, knowing full well that many of them were using performance enhancing drugs. The journalists were not willing to confront the cyclists with their suspicions because it would probably have meant they would no longer have access to them for interviews etc. Now that the genie is out of the bottle they too are trying to position themselves on the moral high ground. I for one am not convinced!!

All I'm asking for here is a bit of balance in the discussion. Paul Kimmage is being painted as a saint and Pat McQuaid as a villain. Neither portrayal is true. Paul Kimmage is a former doper. He lied to the fans and no doubt to his family and friends for years while he raced. He says he didn't take any of the hard stuff because he couldn't afford it... Perhaps that's like Lance Armstrong saying he didn't dope. We only have their word for it.

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #58 on: October 08, 2012, 22:37 »
    I particular admire the insinuation that McQuaid retired from the Pro ranks after a year because he would not be able to make it without doping.

Yeah. Pat McQuaid, the cyclist whos promising career was cut short because he wouldnt dope. Oh jesus.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #59 on: October 08, 2012, 23:01 »
    We were discussing this earlier in the Darach thread
    http://velorooms.com/the-doping-section/darach-mcquid-tweets/

I wouldnt normally quote blogs wholesale, but ive no idea if this comment will remain up.
    I made the point earlier that it looks like it's already been taken down but it still exists as a quote from someone else's post. It doesn't turn up in her posting history.

Here's another fine bit:
    Paul Kimmage has some support of late among journalists, many of them my friends and former colleagues, because the truth is many of them are running for cover.
    Ah, no. They are not the ones running for cover.
  • ReplyReply

•