collapse

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
  • Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 2621
  • Donald J Krabkakes
  • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
Re: The Venting Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2012, 14:29 »
I shouldn't lift 5 gallon water bottles. I lifted one yesterday. I shouldn't have :'(
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #121 on: June 12, 2012, 13:47 »
    Round 2 at the dentist. Seems I avoided a root canal by the tiniest of margins. However, contact with another tooth means that decay has damaged the other one too. So one more visit to go. €210 so far... ???
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #122 on: June 22, 2012, 14:54 »
    I'm set to do one of those Tough Mudder races tomorrow and a knee injury that has kept me from doing any training (can't run, bike, or do much with weights) isn't getting any better. This is supposed to be a fun cold, wet, and muddy run but the knee could take all the fun out of it. Injuries suck. Here's to ibuprofen.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

ram

« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2012, 14:58 »
    Be sure not to fail the dope test :D

sh*t form though.
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #124 on: June 25, 2012, 04:35 »
    Turns out I had no reason to vent. The knee hurt but nothing more than that came of it so I could continue. And the course was fun, even sliding down a snow hill into a frozen lake. So now I'm venting about my inability to find my testicles. Last seen heading up somewhere towards my armpits...
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2012, 05:17 »
    Just realised that the av pic is a stanley cup photograph/image. THought it was a random cartoon bird, unfortunately not the Jessica Rabbit kind but the tweety bird kind, for so long.

Testicle in the armpits are surely much safer than where they usually are. That's a positive. Evolution screwing us males up.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #126 on: June 25, 2012, 05:31 »
    I was confused, I thought it was the Stanley Cup and an Italia shirt. I was right :D

http://www.artizans.com/image/KRI1859/ryder-hesjedals-victory-is-unlikely-as-italy-winning-stanley-cup-color/
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

ram

« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2012, 06:05 »
    Take it out of here, it's the venting section, not the gloating section  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #128 on: June 25, 2012, 06:38 »
    Oh sorry. Why can't I have ram's avatar :>:( Why can't I have the girl in Ram's avatar? :>:( What's wrong with my freezer anyway? >:( (that better?)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52 »
    Tis an improvement.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #130 on: July 11, 2012, 11:32 »
    heard a heart breaking story this weekend which made me sad at life

was staying with my friends family in Melbourne and when looking at photos saw there was a second sister who i had not met and asked about her. the mum explained that she had died for a heart defect years ago. to make it worst she said that when her daughter was sick they were really poor immigrants and could not afford surgery to fix it. then they were referred to a doctor who would do the surgery for free. it was Victor Chang and she was due to have the surgery the week after he was murdered and she died 2 weeks later.

life can be so sh*tty sometimes

for those not in Aus Victor Chang was a pioneering heart surgeon who was murdered as part of a blackmail attempt against him.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2013, 13:23 »
    RIP Aunty.

And to miss out on being pall bearer when both my dad and brother were
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #132 on: February 05, 2013, 13:26 »
    RIP Aunty.

And to miss out on being pall bearer when both my dad and brother were

feel for you mate

remember the good times when you can
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

ram

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2013, 13:44 »
    Cheers JSG.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 14:02 by ram »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #134 on: February 05, 2013, 13:57 »
    :hug

so sorry for your loss ram
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2013, 14:03 »
    Cheers AG, you've been great help today.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #136 on: February 05, 2013, 15:47 »
    Sorry for that, ram.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2013, 16:11 »
    Thanks Fus
  • ReplyReply

• FreeWheelin

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 76
    « Reply #138 on: March 09, 2013, 04:44 »
    I want to vent about the whole elitist thing about 'real' cycling fans hate the Tour.  Like 'real' basket ball fans know that Jordan was overrated.  I get that it is not everyone's fav race, and there are lots of fantastic races that many people know about... but it is not just ignorant fans that rate it so highly... it is most of the pro peloton too.       

Can someone tell me is this anti/pro Tour thing something that tends to be affected by nationality?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #139 on: March 09, 2013, 05:19 »
    yeah I dont know FW.

I am a classics kind of girl - but I do love the Tour.  It just has that special magic.  (It does come decidedly after all of the monuments, the worlds and the Giro though :D )

I do think people focus on the Tour because of its media coverage as well - certainly its what got me watching cycling ... its only once I started that I explored more and discovered the greater treasures.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #140 on: March 09, 2013, 07:37 »
    I am a classics kind of girl - but I do love the Tour.  It just has that special magic.  (It does come decidedly after all of the monuments, the worlds and the Giro though :D )
    Replace "girl" with "guy", and this answer is valid for me as well. ;)
    I feel exactly the same.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1118
    « Reply #141 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32 »
    Vive le Tour!

Yeah I agree, people who go on about how second rate the Tour is, are just striking a rather ineffectual pose. Yes the Giro is usually a more difficult parcours but it has just a fraction of the prestige of the Tour and usually the field reflects this.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1304
    « Reply #142 on: March 09, 2013, 10:10 »
    Talking about Bore in June is normal. Talking about Bore from August till May, is ludicrous and one of the degrading effects of mass media. The classic season is approaching and all you're interested in is how the new Yellow Jersey looks like. Come on !!!!

Tour of France obsessed people should realize that every year a dozen of pro races disappear due to financial reasons, while ASO is at an all-time high and these so-called cycling fans are certainly partly responsible for it.

And than you'd think I'm a high hat but come on, I can talk with many friends who might be football fans first and foremost, about Het Nieuwsblad, about Paris-Nice, about Paris-Brussels, etc. It's just the way it is ...

Ever since I'm a kid of 7/8, I've always watched live coverage of any kind of races, whether they be the classics, semi-classics, one week stage races, Worlds, even some cyclocross + Bore (though I've stopped watching it since 2006) and always have heard through magazines and TV news about Giro, Vuelta, Ruta del Sol, Catalan Week, etc. And guess what, I was not an avid cycling fan back then, it was just like any other sports, but I did watch those races ... Hence Bore obsession is beyond comprehension for me.

Edit: also before registering on CN, I visited a French forum called Velo-Club.net. I left it in 2009 because CN was much less Bore obsessed at that time (and because I needed English practice). Today, CN is Bore-obsessed and VCN much less. The Times They-re a-changing ...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #143 on: March 09, 2013, 11:13 »
    I for one am burned out on the Tour by the end of the first week most years.  Maybe it's all the pre race hype or the predicability after following it for 20+ yrs.  Also, it's a good month to get outside and ride yourself or go on vacation.  For someone who follows the sport daily the season has lost a lot of it's initial excitement by July.  The Northern Classics get to that buzz but even that might wane as races start in early Jan. now.  You no longer get that Christmas in July feeling that a newer or part time fan enjoys.  We can enjoy a GC battle in Tirreno in a few hrs.  Without, having to wait for July.

Ever since I'm a kid of 7/8, I've always watched live coverage of any kind of races, whether they be the classics, semi-classics, one week stage races, Worlds, even some cyclocross + Bore (though I've stopped watching it since 2006) and always have heard through magazines and TV news about Giro, Vuelta, Ruta del Sol, Catalan Week, etc.

US fans are accustom to minimum TV coverage (it has improved a lot over the yrs).  A race that Velonews would ignore and Cyclingnews would provide a paragraph w/ one photo and a top 10, we can now view online so it's somewhat of a Renaissance.  Hearing someone other then Phil Ligget n Paul Sherman is earth shattering too.

Edit: also before registering on CN, I visited a French forum called Velo-Club.net. I left it in 2009 because CN was much less Bore obsessed at that time (and because I needed English practice). Today, CN is Bore-obsessed and VCN much less. The Times They-re a-changing ...
    Let's keep Velorooms from becoming Bore obsessed too.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:55 by Blackbandit222 »
    Sagan supporter.

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #144 on: March 09, 2013, 11:16 »
    The thing is echoes that in many English speaking countries we simply have not had the coverage of anything other than the tour.

Until about 3 years ago we only got the tour ... Highlights of other things and a weekly 1 hr highlights package of anything else

Which does heavily influence what races people are interested in

Not only that but in the last 2 years, the winner of the tour has been Evans and wiggins - something which will no doubt impact on its popularity on English speaking web sites.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2467
    « Reply #145 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29 »
    Talking about Bore in June is normal. Talking about Bore from August till May, is ludicrous and one of the degrading effects of mass media. The classic season is approaching and all you're interested in is how the new Yellow Jersey looks like. Come on !!!!
    So people discuss what the yellow jersey looks like in the middle of the classics season. If a change in the Tour of Flanders parcours was announced in the middle of July, it would be discussed as well. In July. Ridiculous? Oh, and have you seen the 2013 Giro thread? 145 replies over the off-season, more than the Tour. What Tour obsession? ;)

Being interested in the Tour doesn't exclude being interested in other races. At the same time we're discussing the yellow jersey, we compile lists of riders competing for the Giro, discuss the classics, watch P-N and T-A, and even look ahead to the worlds which are even further away than the Tour. To be honest, I think you're just a bit over-sensitive about the Tour. It is, of course, fine not to care for it and not to watch it. But I do like the Tour, especially because it is so big and overblown. Every fan knows it is not even close to the best or most exciting race of the year, but it's still a great event.

Tour of France obsessed people should realize that every year a dozen of pro races disappear due to financial reasons, while ASO is at an all-time high and these so-called cycling fans are certainly partly responsible for it.
    Most fans are just that: casual fans. They watch the biggest event simply because it is the biggest event. Not everyone cares enough for cycling to watch everything, for the large public the Tour is just miles above anything else. Which is still a relatively good thing since it means cycling gets attention every year, unlike a lot of other sports which are only watched by the big public around the Olympics. Does that mean some smaller races will disappear? Sure, it might, and that's a shame. But blaming casual cycling fans who only watch the sports biggest event doesn't make sense imo. Would you blame a Manchester United fan who only watches Champions League and short recaps of league games if some fourth league football team gets into financial trouble?

And than you'd think I'm a high hat but come on, I can talk with many friends who might be football fans first and foremost, about Het Nieuwsblad, about Paris-Nice, about Paris-Brussels, etc. It's just the way it is ...

Ever since I'm a kid of 7/8, I've always watched live coverage of any kind of races, whether they be the classics, semi-classics, one week stage races, Worlds, even some cyclocross + Bore (though I've stopped watching it since 2006) and always have heard through magazines and TV news about Giro, Vuelta, Ruta del Sol, Catalan Week, etc. And guess what, I was not an avid cycling fan back then, it was just like any other sports, but I did watch those races ... Hence Bore obsession is beyond comprehension for me.

OK, don't really see what your point is here to be honest. Not everyone is enough of a cycling fan to want to watch all races. Not everyone lives in Belgium, where cycling coverage is the best in the world. And not everyone has the time to watch everything.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1118
    « Reply #146 on: March 09, 2013, 11:34 »
    The Tour de France is the most important event in the calendar for the biggest teams (except OPQS maybe) and the biggest riders. Whether riders are planning to mount a challenge in July dictates the rest of their season and as such dictates what other riders can challenge for. Yes we all follow and often prefer other races, Classics and stage races, but that doesn't mean you have to be totally blinkered about how overwhelmingly important the Tour is.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9453
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #147 on: March 09, 2013, 11:43 »

sorry, but you don't have a point there at all, there are various topics to talk about at this point of the season, and that's what we do - the Tour de France is one of them, of course, it's still the "biggest" race in the world.

Is it me or this [Tour de France 2013] thread has had 102 replies across the winter season?  :rolleye

Really Velorooms cannot be a good alternative to CN ...

...yeah, and 145 replies to the Giro d'Italia thread, several replies for every other race, so it's not like this is a major topic at the moment. If you are not interested in the Tour at all it's no problem, but that's not what you can expect from everyone else of course. You are judging cycling fans by their interest in the Tour de France, I can't give you any repect for that, on the contrary, that's a very poor and bitter statement.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3890
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #148 on: March 09, 2013, 12:07 »
    I hope Echoes realizes that with constantly whining about people's obsession with "Bore the France" he actually draws more attention to that race
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #149 on: March 09, 2013, 12:07 »
    Huh, we used to have no coverage and now Germany has none.  STARS drive the Tours popularity along Nationality lines.  Yes, Australia n England just won their first Tours.  If Germany had a guy for the overall it would be back on Tv there. 

I remember when got back into bike racing in the 2003.  I was informed at my first race that the field was full 120 riders and had been for weeks.  I was accustom to 20-40 riders and day of registration!
  • ReplyReply

•