collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1907
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: The Venting Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2015, 21:48 »
Now going to find something to hit until I feel better.

Just keep hitting that Enter key, Havy. Writing down your thoughts can be helpful and healing, and sharing them even more so, at times.

These last few years for me have been both dark and difficult. By far the most trying of my entire life. On top of all that, I had my heart broken into a thousand tiny pieces more than a year ago, and I'm still in the process of trying to reclaim my inner-self from all that pain.

But life can change so quickly—in an instant. One phone call, email, or chance encounter, and suddenly opportunities can appear.

I'm the last person that any one should probably ever take advice from, but maybe try to take advantage of the time available to you right now to do things that won't be as readily accessible once you do find that job.

Just look at L'arri. No more horse riding for him now that he's stationed behind a desk!  :P
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #361 on: January 19, 2015, 22:02 »
    Hehehe, but you know, the desk is my horse and the office is my desert, because I went out there and did it. I've got that now. It's like Steinbeck said: the best thing in life is commission and the worst thing is omission.

Hav, I know it doesn't help much, but lots of us have been there, where you are. Families under pressure. And you are going to make it through.

It's like that diagram, the geological one they showed you at school, with all the layers of sand and soil and dinosaur bones.

With each new period in your life, the earlier ones compress a little bit more and what seemed huge and insurmountable becomes smaller and more compact with the perspective of time. But much better than that, the meaning and value of those periods gets squeezed out for you to make use of later.

In the meantime, as DB says, just keep talking it out, whenever that works for you, because right now this is just another of those things that will make a Superhav out of you in the longer term. And nobody is going to suggest you should shut up. Everything you're feeling is just as valid as your parents' or anyone else's feelings.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #362 on: January 19, 2015, 23:27 »
    :hug Havy

I hope you find something soon
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 370
    « Reply #363 on: January 21, 2015, 18:16 »
    flip, just realized I mixed up two terms in my exam last week, due to the fact that the exam was in Dutch, while I know these terms better in English, and due to this I know I made quite a few mistakes, I probably failed that course. I am actually almost certain I failed it, I suck  :(
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #364 on: January 21, 2015, 19:08 »
    flip, just realized I mixed up two terms in my exam last week, due to the fact that the exam was in Dutch, while I know these terms better in English, and due to this I know I made quite a few mistakes, I probably failed that course. I am actually almost certain I failed it, I suck  :(

Dude, this is a mere blip. I forgot to attend the last exam of my law degree. :P

As Fate would have it, there was a bunch of visiting Malaysians who had a diary clash so they got to sit this same exam a week later and after a lot of bowing and scraping, I blagged a seat at the back of that room.

Amazingly, this 'private session' wasn't even monitored and in the absence of any staff the Malaysians made unlimited use of their lecture notes. Being a "Brits don't dope" kind of kid who just assumed cheating wouldn't be tolerated, I hadn't even bothered to bring my lecture notes.

I passed anyway, and with a high grade at that.

So the moral of the story is contained somewhere in a thought that just stepped out for a cigarette, but I guess in the scheme of your whole life, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #365 on: January 21, 2015, 19:49 »
    Dude, this is a mere blip. I forgot to attend the last exam of my law degree. :P

As Fate would have it, there was a bunch of visiting Malaysians who had a diary clash so they got to sit this same exam a week later and after a lot of bowing and scraping, I blagged a seat at the back of that room.

Amazingly, this 'private session' wasn't even monitored and in the absence of any staff the Malaysians made unlimited use of their lecture notes. Being a "Brits don't dope" kind of kid who just assumed cheating wouldn't be tolerated, I hadn't even bothered to bring my lecture notes.

I passed anyway, and with a high grade at that.

So the moral of the story is contained somewhere in a thought that just stepped out for a cigarette, but I guess in the scheme of your whole life, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh I know, but I tend to enlarge every problem I have :P
    But really I am trying to get my stuff together for my exam of tomorrow and I just realized how many things I did wrong, simply due to the fact that I suck at Dutch, which tomorrow will again be a problem. I know it's probably not as bad, nor is there anything I can do about it, but I can't help but feel absolutely terrible about it, even though as you say it's just a blip and nothing really to worry about. But I just hate these oral exams where you can get tripped up quite easily because the Belgian education style sucks
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #366 on: January 23, 2015, 13:23 »
    And now for something completely else:
    Why are so many Blegians I come across, even the higher educated ones, just openly racists, the amount of 'jokes' I've heard about black people, muslims and a lot of other ethnicities over the last few months is shocking. And no-one mentions it, no-one seems amazed.

And it's not like I'm too sensitive to this thing, far from it, but it really is amazing
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #367 on: January 23, 2015, 15:50 »
    And now for something completely else:
    Why are so many Blegians I come across, even the higher educated ones, just openly racists, the amount of 'jokes' I've heard about black people, muslims and a lot of other ethnicities over the last few months is shocking. And no-one mentions it, no-one seems amazed.

And it's not like I'm too sensitive to this thing, far from it, but it really is amazing

I think the attitude toward ethnic minorities here is, in my opinion, pretty much the same as in many other Western European countries, it's just that Belgians see no reason to censure themselves over it. In a twisted sort of way, you have to admire them for that.

I was as surprised about the open expressions of racism as I was about the appalling standard of driving, but in both cases it is just a bit of mild culture shock. Indeed you get used to it, even while I am not saying it is right, nor do I share such views myself. It just gets less and less shocking to hear it.

What I think is fascinating is that you can come to a new country and hear this sort of bile which perfectly resembles the bile you'd hear (albeit in private) back in the old country and yet, due to the different histories of empire, it will be directed at minorities of which you the foreigner have not a scrap of knowledge or experience.

This 'same argument, different target' phenomenon proves what specious rubbish it is to blame minorities for European society's problems.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    « Reply #368 on: January 23, 2015, 19:44 »
    I think the attitude toward ethnic minorities here is, in my opinion, pretty much the same as in many other Western European countries, it's just that Belgians see no reason to censure themselves over it. In a twisted sort of way, you have to admire them for that.

I was as surprised about the open expressions of racism as I was about the appalling standard of driving, but in both cases it is just a bit of mild culture shock. Indeed you get used to it, even while I am not saying it is right, nor do I share such views myself. It just gets less and less shocking to hear it.

What I think is fascinating is that you can come to a new country and hear this sort of bile which perfectly resembles the bile you'd hear (albeit in private) back in the old country and yet, due to the different histories of empire, it will be directed at minorities of which you the foreigner have not a scrap of knowledge or experience.

This 'same argument, different target' phenomenon proves what specious rubbish it is to blame minorities for European society's problems.

To be honest, to me it isn't the same. It's not like you can say Dutch people don't speak their minds or are subtle about what they say. And sure in private more is said, more jokes are made. But still, it just goes so much further than I am used to back home, even what is said in private back home.

The amount of times I have heard people refer to black people as monkeys for example, it's shocking. I don't know almost anyone back in the Netherlands who would even think of doing that. And here again, it's not like there aren't jokes made about black people in the Netherlands, but referring to them as monkeys is absolutely appalling.

Of course I can't talk about the whole of the Netherlands, but the people i know and where I am from would certainly be shocked about the utterances made here.

Sure jokes are made about muslims back home as well. But the bile and the mean spiritness about the comments here is shocking
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #369 on: January 27, 2015, 17:19 »
    People are dumb. They are really f'cking dumb.

We've been absolutely INUNDATED with news of this approaching Blizzard. Hyperbolic warnings and predictions showed no restraint.

And then...and then...it snowed. A bit. In New England. In the winter.

That's all it did. If not for all the hysteria, I would've woken to just another day with a bit of snow to shovel. But I can't go anywhere because the roads are closed. I could receive a fine for simply driving right now. Everything is closed. Except there's no reason for that. It's FINE outside. No wind, no more snow, no nothing.

I could go on and on, but the whole circus was summed up beautifully by one local news "reporter." There she was, braving the elements, reiterating to all her viewers just how dangerous it was to be out doors. The temperatures! The wind chill! The poor visibility!

And then she offered this timeless bit of wisdom, "And if you don't believe me, just download our weather App — blah, blah, blah..."

Yes, why bother with any of that pesky empirical evidence? Don't bother to step outside yourself! No, no, no! Just download the App from the appointed news channel, and allow your smartphone to then tell you just how f'cking dumb you are.
     :S

People are morons. One guy on the local news was having the time of his life overseeing the station's social networking—Facebook, Twitter, etc. He said the most common question people were asking was, "Can I go outside and start shoveling?"

Of course it would be impossible to determine such things on one's own. If not through social networking, how could one ever arrive at an answer to such elusive questions?

Oh, but there was a power outage! Yes indeed! The sure sign that an apocalyptic moment had arrived! NO POWER!

However, it was only in one small part, of one small town. The culprit? A snowplow had run into a power line pole. :fp

People are dumb. So much so, that I'm amazed we are able to operate a functioning society at all.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #370 on: January 27, 2015, 20:18 »
    Massive huff

Can I say that I deeply approved of that post? That was a fundamentally sound bit of prose there.  :P

You should really watch the British anthology series Black Mirror, DB, I think you would love it.

It is a sometimes terrifying look at how society might become just a few years from now if we continue to sell out to all this stupid technology. No two episodes share the same characters or storylines, so you can just jump in and watch any of them.

If you can stand burned in Spanish subbies, there's one sneaking around now. See it while it's there. Personally recommended by your old pal L'arri...  :D

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #371 on: January 28, 2015, 17:08 »
    As some of you may have noticed I haven't been on here much past week and a half..

The reasons is as my Laptop has been broken..broken DC Power Jack for those that know much about this stuff.
    I phoned a repair company up two Sundays ago and they told me they'd have it fixed by the end of the week at the very latest, they would get back with full details by Monday. Come Monday and I haven't heard from them, same on Tuesday despite constant phone calls and emails. I get through on Wednesday and they tell me they'll send someone on Saturday. Come the appointed time and I am left waiting, only to contact them on Sunday and find out they were unable to make it. We will send you a list of times for rescheduling now, they send the list on Monday and there is a slot on Tuesday which I take, at 6:30 Tuesday evening I am left waiting and no one arrives. At this point I didn't really want to hear the excuse... All this after I cancelled appointments with other repair companies due to this particular companies commitments.

And all this whilst I have had a hugely important Coursework assignment to complete, every waking moment in which a computer becomes available I've had to work on the Coursework leaving me no time for Velorooms..

And having said all that they still have not come and my laptop remains broken.

And the cycling season has just started

:angry :angry :angry :angry :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #372 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45 »
    What the hell is going on Down Under? And I'm not talking about this:  :o

Cyclone Lam and Cyclone Marcia: Twin severe storms a 'first' for Australia

----------------------

I'm talking about the recent, and abhorrent, mangling of the written word by CyclingTips. In the span of just a few minutes, I stumbled over the following:

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/568356868122419200
    Seriously? Please tell me that's bot-generated and was not the result of a human directly interacting with a keyboard. Please tell me that.
    "How do we communication with your riding buddies on group rides? Here's our tips:"
    I get it, it's Twitter, but they are more supposed to be more than just some random internet voice. I would like to think that any organization wise enough to bring both Shane Stokes and Cosmo Catalano on board would hold themselves to a slightly higher standard.

And from inside their website, these gems:
    "There was a table top which was the last jump and I pushed a couple of kids of the edge as they trying to pass me."
    OK, granted, that is a quote from someone else, but even if it's verbatim, shouldn't an editor make that a bit more presentable?

Either way, the opening paragraph (below) is on them, and it's totally inexcusable. It is astonishingly clumsy in so many ways.
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/my-first-race-part-1/
    We often forget that everyone started at the same place as cyclists. Almost none of us won our first race, none of us looked the part, and some of us didn't even finish. But they all have one thing in common: they had a crack, and kept on trying. In the first of this ongoing series, we speak to some of the best athletes in the world where they tell us about their first experience that got them hooked into this wonderful sport.

How can that paragraph have been generated by anyone with competent English skills? The first sentence alone would rightfully incur the wrath of any grade school English teacher worthy of the title. It is then followed by "none of us...none of us...some of us..." and then a repeated reference to "they." Who the hell is "they"?

As an aside: Most of the stories presented in that article leave something to be desired. I had higher hopes from the outset, and now CyclingTips themselves have left me wondering: Will we have to wait for their companion site, Ella, to run an article about the first race experience of Women riders, or will it be OK to group them all together on the same page?

Language! Who knew that computers and the internet would make us dumber?  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #373 on: February 20, 2015, 07:15 »
    Take away Shane and Cycling Tips is the same turd it was before

that is all
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #374 on: February 24, 2016, 10:35 »
    Gets up earlier than usual to be ready for meeting at 10.

Learns of massive traffic problem on the usual route to the office.

Successfully avoids all issues by leaving earlier, taking longer route and reaches office at 9:50.

Waits in empty office.

Sends a few texts.

Waits.

And waits.

Leaves still empty office at 10:45.

Drives home and dumps car far away due to parking restrictions.

Receives email at 11:30.

"Am in a meeting. Can you come in at 13:00?"

:angry

Thinks: "it's a dry day. I want to ride my bike"

Replies: "Not before 15h"

:s
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1308
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #375 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39 »
    Gets up earlier than usual to be ready for meeting at 10.

Learns of massive traffic problem on the usual route to the office.

Successfully avoids all issues by leaving earlier, taking longer route and reaches office at 9:50.

Waits in empty office.

Sends a few texts.

Waits.

And waits.

Leaves still empty office at 10:45.

Drives home and dumps car far away due to parking restrictions.

Receives email at 11:30.

"Am in a meeting. Can you come in at 13:00?"

:angry

Thinks: "it's a dry day. I want to ride my bike"

Replies: "Not before 15h"

:s

That's just plain rude.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6242
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #376 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59 »
    Story of getting to office in time for a then-unattended meeting
    Dickheads.
    Think they're God's gift to the earth, and that everybody will wait for them. :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #377 on: April 15, 2016, 21:26 »
    Well after five months of being employed, fighting the fact that my 30 years of IT experience kills me in two ways.  First, I can't get a senior level position because I don't have a degree (which didn't exist in the late 80s).  Second, I can't get a junior level position because they think I will just job hop to a more senior position (they would not be wrong).

So after 30 years, I have finally decided that my best option is to return to college and complete my engineering degree.  It will only cost me $500K in lost wages over 4 years (not that I am making any money now) and a bit of tuition.  My life sucks right now.   
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 22:22]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Armchair Cyclist
    [December 11, 2017, 21:52]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by LukasCPH
    [December 11, 2017, 14:10]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by jimmythecuckoo
    [December 11, 2017, 14:08]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH