collapse

LittleMig

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 3
Re: UCI Track World Cup Series
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 21:00 »

Fact is, nobody wanted it, since the costs and UCI's fee are so high.

Rumour has it is that by 2015, most, if not all WCs will be held in the UK.

There will be plenty of UK cash to support the only UK president of a summer Olympic federation, so that makes sense. With a continued lack of broadcasting, there will continue to be a lack of money.

A look at the broadcast schedule tells the whole story: only three broadcasters around the world had confirmed any coverage before the meeting started. No surprise given the short notice hosting arrangement. Even the bloody UCI webcast doesn't work in the UK, presumably just on the off-chance the BBC has the rights and might want to run a snippet. Utter rubbish.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1379
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 21:29 »
     Even Tissot Timing can't manage it's usual live script. :(

Ridiculous men's sprint QFing.
    More than half a dozen broke Kevin Sireau's WR.
    Eventually went to fellow Frenchman, Francois Pervis.
    9.3" something.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10232
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5585
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 09:37 »
    Fact is, nobody wanted it, since the costs and UCI's fee are so high.
    Why the UCI should get fees is beyond me, if I'm honest.
    They're the ones who should provide the organizers with technical input and help, not charge them for hosting such an event.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 14:36 »
    3 hours of the Mexico meet with Anthony Mc commentating, here:

Doesn't actually have pictures until about 12 and a half minutes in, so move it forward.
    You can watch them making mincemeat of every world sprint record in the book.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05 »
    GB sending a really weak team to Guadalajara World Cup

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/20140103-gb-cyclingteam-news-British-Cycling-announces-Great-Britain-team-for-UCI-Track-World-Cup-in-Mexico-0

Excuse:
    Performance manager Shane Sutton said: “We’re in a good place in terms of qualification points for the world championships, and this has created an opportunity for some of our younger riders to step up and compete at a world cup.

Real reason? - no-one want to spend a week eating only canned tuna?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #66 on: January 04, 2014, 08:45 »
    GB sending a really weak team to Guadalajara World Cup

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/20140103-gb-cyclingteam-news-British-Cycling-announces-Great-Britain-team-for-UCI-Track-World-Cup-in-Mexico-0

Excuse:
    Real reason? - no-one want to spend a week eating only canned tuna?

It's lousy prep to have your top riders flying back and forth to S America 3 times in 3 months, the final time to compete in the Worlds.

The Para cyclists will have to do the Tuna run, though. Their Worlds are in  Aguascalientes in April.

Crazy how this has worked out.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #67 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42 »
    It's lousy prep to have your top riders flying back and forth to S America 3 times in 3 months, the final time to compete in the Worlds.

I guess also, from a Brand Britain point of view, better to have the big names in packed UK velodromes for the Revolution series at the beginning of January and February. It's certainly easier for - say - Laura Trott to get from her home in Manchester to the velodrome in Manchester!

PS - Actually, given my personal knowledge of the M60, I'm not convinced that's entirely true, but hey...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #68 on: January 18, 2014, 21:34 »
    Live Timing & Results from Mexico:

http://www.tissottiming.com/Competition?id=00030B0000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&sport=CT&year=2014

TP won by Aussies who win the overall world cup: http://www.tissottiming.com/File/Download?id=00030B0000010401FFFFFFFFFFFFFF02

The Team Sprint saw France and GB pushed way down with Netherlands winning it, with the Germans having the World Cup in the bag quite a while ago http://www.tissottiming.com/File/Download?id=00030B0000010565FFFFFFFFFFFFFF01

SVESHNIKOV Kirill  won the points and in the women's TP was the Canadians triumphing, but with no Germans of GB the WC was settled and went to GBs.

Lots more to come, currently Women's omnium taking place with points race and Pawlowska is leading.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47 »
     I have been told that next year's series will have on leg in one of the UK's 3 main dromes.
     Another will be heading to Melbourne and the third will be in........................................
    .......................you guessed it: Mexico.

If true, it confirms the lack interest from Europe and means another awkward, pre Worlds preparation for many of the top nations.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5585
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 21:24 »
    Didn't the track world cup consist of four rounds (or even more) a few years back?

Copenhagen/Ballerup is considering a bid for a world cup and/or world championships again (was in the news last week), but that may take a couple of years to come to fruition.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #71 on: August 19, 2014, 14:09 »
    First venue for this season's World Cup meets has been announced and as predicted, it's the UK and London.
    They have the middle, December date.
    No announcement on the November 7th, or the January slot as yet.

Right it's another S America only show with Mexico (Nov) and Colombia (Jan), yet again.

Better news with the World champs, which have gone to Paris.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 19:12 by Mellow Velo »

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #72 on: November 09, 2014, 17:53 »
    It has been quite quiet around here with regards to the Track Championships in Mexico, but Kenny just defeated Hindes. The *gb men previously won the Team Sprint so have been going quite well so far this week. (actually.. see below)

https://twitter.com/PelotonWatch/status/531496993751715842

https://twitter.com/PelotonWatch/status/531480232071397376

Tbh Kenny only came in 7th fastest in Qualifying so not really all that good going, but he is becoming the master of winning sprints he has no right to win so it will be interesting to see how he goes. 

Previously this happened:
    https://twitter.com/PelotonWatch/status/531287947887136769
    Even though she was relegated in the first ride I think. (so crossed the line first 3 times I think). Meares disappointing on her return to action.

In other disciplines, the *gb mens TP team still looking a bit shaky, whilst the Aussies show who is best. But then again they always do in between Olympics before the *gb men change all that at the Olympics. Though I can hardly recognise one name from the Aussie outfit..

The womens TP team continue to show who is best. There has never really been any doubt and the jump up to 4000m has just consolidated that.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #73 on: November 09, 2014, 21:51 »
     Not really following it like I normally would, but Becky is out for the season.

Vogel out of the competition, after setting the fastest QT in the team sprint, with MW.
    Seems she's got food poisoning, but since the German team eat Mexican meat with gay abandon,
    I'd say that's better than the alternative! :D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #74 on: December 06, 2014, 17:42 »
    Impressive but expected performances from the TP teams. Good to see the Mens team however still has it, yet in the bigger picture of things this doesn't mean all that much. Wiggins isn't even in this team and Australia are yet to show up.

The Sprint team however continue to underline my worry that they are falling way behind the. Kenny only ever performs at his best or even close around Olympic time, but I would still expect slightly better at home. With the French, Germans and co. all ever improving it will be a huge surprise, not to mention a miracle, if we win gold in Rio.

Slightly more encouraging for the women but not much more so. We need Becky back  :o :cool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/30355664
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #75 on: December 08, 2014, 13:51 »
     I've recorded most of the 3 days to watch, when I can find the time.
    On the Becky front, pleased to report that she is very happy with progress with the injury.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #76 on: December 08, 2014, 15:05 »
    Good to hear MV.. the girls need her  :)

Trott rode a perfect points race in the end to seal her Omnium victory. Definitely looking like there is a divide between the GB sprinters who are decidely below par and the TP/endurance riders who are clearly going better. With Wiggins still to come back into the fold and maybe even Cav/Swift there is a lot to look forward to there.

For the record, the British World Cup round (formerly in Manchester) which was shown live on BBC was how I originally got into cycling... so definitely an event I love.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    « Reply #77 on: December 08, 2014, 16:44 »
     A little curiosity for you:
     It's the Welsh sports personality awards this evening.
     Becky was up last year, Rachel is nominated, this.
     Have two siblings ever been nominated in consecutive years before?
    I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised! :D
  • ReplyReply

•