collapse

Kiwirider

Calling all engineers out there!
« on: September 27, 2012, 00:43 »
Have been left at home for a month while my better half is back in NZ visiting her poor Mum who had the misfortune to firstly break her hip and then have a stroke while on holiday ...  :(

To amuse myself - besides writing sh*t to Ram about eels and orifices - I've got a decent sized to do list of projects ... one of which is to build a suspension bar for the rock rings/TRX and a chin up bar to go into the torture chamber personal training clinic that we have in the basement ...

Which is where my plea for engineering help comes in ...

I'm wanting to mount this on the wall between the clinic and the utility room. The wall is 100x50 (4x2 for the imperialists out there) open onto the back. Being North America, there are no dwangs/nogs or whatever else you call the cross blocks that sit between studs in your part of the world.

To get enough space for the TRX to work, I'll need to build a wooden frame that will be about 75cm (30") deep by 100cm (40") wide. I'll be putting a couple of clips (like you find on a climbing gym wall) on the outer face of the frame - which will be used to clip in the karabiners for the rock rings or the TRX.

I'm also thinking about putting another frame over the top that I can then mount a steel bar into to be able to use as a chinup bar. That'd sit about 50cm (20") out from the wall.

The studs are all 100 x 50 (4x2), and sit at 50cm (20") centres (45cm spaces). I therefore should be able to bolt the frame into three of them to spread the load nicely.

I'm guessing that the maximum weight of the people that she trains would be about 100kg (220lb).

So, my questions are:
- what length diagonal bracing am I going to need on the frame to hold it securely?
- are there any crazy risks with my idea of bolting through the studs?
- would I need to make sure that the studs have dwangs/bracing between them at the point where the frame is fixed?
- are there any obvious errors in my plans? (Leaving aside comments about my wood working skills ... I may be a lawyer, but I'm also a Kiwi, so, as the advert says  "DIY, it's in our DNA" ...   :tu :tu )

Thanks in advance - and I promise that I'll nominate whoever replies for the most helpful member awards ...  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

Re: Calling all engineers out there!
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02 »
    I reply for the award :fp

I'm not a great one, and never deal with these stress usually, but the first one here. Got a random schematic figure? Some of these words are alien. TRX? And the studs I studied were stud bolts ???

The kid in Mitre10 looks like Simo Doull, and I'm pretty sure it's the same ad as what they use in radiosport

Bad luck about you mum in law.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2624
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57 »
    No fuss No muss. just a drill and some lag bolts

http://www.pacillo.com/detail.asp?product=174
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

ram

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57 »
    Grouse stuff.

Only orthographic views, I demand an isometric one ;) Will need some time on this, been an era, if at all, since I touched anything building related.

And yer a Jock, no doubt. Wikipedia is never ever ever ever wrong.

The mitre 10 kid must be less of a crock than Doullie, easily going to be better for New Zealand even if he ends up on his posterior on a luxury couch.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18 »
    alright Kiwi

I build sh*t in my free time - finished a house and a carport now and a 1000 other projects

you should be able to build this free standing and just use the wall as an extra anchor

What I would do is build a frame to sit against the wall - and over build the sh*t out of it, and on the side view where you have the angled bit add an extra to the top , but take that all they way out to the area you will hang the sex swing from - due the length of the lever arm

By building the frame on the outside - you can screw it into the floor and well as through the wall to the studs - much stronger and use 120 * 45 mm for the frame

Simple box frame and then the vertical sections are set in distances for attachments from the chin up bar section, and remember that anything is stronger when sitting on vertical wood than screwed into it.

After the frame is in add horizontal sections to re-enforce  , and any where the frame has wall studs behind attach

does that make sense I could draw something but to be honest it would turn out sh*t  8)

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:20 »
    to add to the post above

The extra support out to the sex swing you could use wire - much cleaner looking

something like that - you can buy the set up where yo add tension though a turn bucket mechanism
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:18 »
    you can buy the set up where yo add tension though a turn bucket mechanism
    swimming? Or turn buckle.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 18:51 »
    Okay, not my field, thank flip I'm not a civil engineer, and had to read a shed load to get to the latter part. Can do the bending moment, reaction of the cantilever like chin up thing and stresses (in terms of W, l), but choosing the material (or finding elastic mod of said material) and size of studs is, well, beyond my quite limited scope and would need to find a book on strength of materials again, if I have it. A subject I barely passed :fp

I'll go with bob the builder's advice.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:26 »
    Thanks JSG.

I actually started out with an idea like that - I saw an awesome picture of a home-made squat rack that would be just awesome. I only moved away from the idea because I would need to buy some more wood to make that (vs a wall mounted frame, where I have enough from the last couple of projects - just being tight and lazy) and because of the floor space it'd take up (she often gets a dozen or so people in her kettlebell classes, which is a lot in a basement ...!)

I also can't go with the bolt into the floor idea, as we have underfloor heating - and I have no idea where the pipes run. (If you saw the quality of some of the construction in our house - eg., 25m2 deck, 5m off the ground built without cross bracing or joist hangers, and with a good number of the supposed face nailed joists actually missed! - you'd understand why I have no idea where anything like that is ...)

But you have got me thinking about the squat rack idea again ... Will have to check with the boss and see what she thinks ...

Oh, and as for draughting skills ... you clearly didn't check out the pictures that I sent Ram, or you wouldn't be worried about your skills at all!  ;)

Glue the base to the floor and use the weight of the roof to hold it in place.

we have a produce called pl-400 for that exact purpose, used it myself works well

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 15:33 »
    Do you need demolition services...?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!