collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10812
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Your trainer workouts
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:30 »
Ok so winter is coming to Europe and North America.

Getting out the trainer soon myself to build for next year after landscaping got in the way.

Trainers = boring as bat sh*t

a thread for your sessions and share ideas for others to break to boredom.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Your trainer workouts
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32 »
    How to Ride Inside: Indoor Trainer Workouts for Cyclists

Spin easy for 10 to 15 minutes before each workout. Finish the session with a 10-minute cooldown.

Speed Intervals improve power and speed, and help you recover from repeated hard efforts:

—Do four one-minute fast-pedal intervals: Use an easy gear and as high a cadence as possible. Keep your rate of perceived exertion (RPE) low—5 out of 10. Recover for two minutes between efforts.
    —Pedal five minutes easy.
    —Do 10 to 12 intervals of 30 seconds on/30 seconds off. The "on" portions are 95 percent effort (RPE 9 to 9.5) at as high a cadence as possible. Stand or sit as needed. For the "off" parts, spin easy.

Make it harder Add one on/off interval, up to 20 total.

Climbing Bursts help you respond to attacks on hills:

—Simulate a hill by raising the bike's front wheel.
    —Ride 10 minutes at a pace you can hold for an hour (90 to 100 percent of threshold power or heart rate; RPE 8). Once every two minutes, stand and attack for 12 to 15 pedal strokes—a near all-out effort.
    —Spin easy for 10 minutes.
    —Repeat (do three fast efforts total).

Make it harder Try 2x15 minutes (10 minutes recovery), then 3x12 (six minutes recovery), then 2x20 (10 minutes recovery).

Ladder Intervals simulate the demands of racing:

—Pedal for four minutes at RPE 8 (90 to 100 percent of threshold power), then three minutes at RPE 9 (100 to 110 percent of threshold), then one minute allout (115 percent of threshold).
    —Spin easy for five minutes.
    —Pedal one minute all-out, then three minutes at RPE 9, then four minutes at RPE 8.
    —Spin easy for 10 minutes.
    —Repeat the sequence.

Make it harder Add 30 seconds to each rung of the ladder, then a minute.

taken from here

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/how-ride-inside-indoor-trainer-workouts-cyclists?page=0,1
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47 »
    What I tend to do depends on the quality fo the quipment.

Poor quality equipment: I set the gear to something which I can manage 80-90 RPM with minor difficulty and then monitor my RPM to maintain it throughout a full hour.

High quality equipment: I maintain my RPM at 100 while adjusting the gears according to my heart rate to make sure it doesn't blow over 180 because that tends to happen easily for me.

Probably very bad strategies, but I'm looking for distractions from doing something - hence the post.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55 »
    This thread should be very interesting for me because I've absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do on the turbo.

When I started back on the bike, I just did 16km / 30 minutes twice a day because I was so bad. I find it really hard to sit there for a long time without my backside going numb. It's not at all like being out on the road where I can manage a few hours now.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 17:00 »
    I have plenty of videos queued taken from my handlebar cam.... need something to break the boredom.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 17:20 »
    I have plenty of videos queued taken from my handlebar cam.... need something to break the boredom.

This thread lacks the detail for which I'd hoped. I seriously need advice.  :-[

Jimmy, what do you actually put in, say for an average week?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 17:39 »
    Larri do you have watts or rpm or nothing to guide you when on the trainer?
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 19:41 »
    This thread lacks the detail for which I'd hoped. I seriously need advice.  :-[

Jimmy, what do you actually put in, say for an average week?
    flip videos...Do you remember what coach when younger told you about cycling?

Hey...there is winter coming, so no need to kill yourself, and turbo is not quite good for base miles eather...coz it is flipping boring...and only sociopath can do it more than 2 hrs.
    So...so ;D...start with let say 5, 6-7 hrs per week max max...1 maybe 2 max max...better one...medium to hard workout...whatever you like...sprints (5-10 sec, 15-30 sec), 5- 15 min treshold intervals, endurance...whatever makes you happy :D

Rest of the week just easy riding...Remember it is easy to get wild on turbo and kill yourself every time... cou it so flipping boring...but hold on dude...hold on ;D

20 min warm up, and 10 min cool down...this is what I am doing...
    Hey, you can do also those speed drills, one leg you know..and then another...and then you are done...

P.S. My speed record on rollers is 72 km/h, on 30 sec all out... ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15 »
    Larri do you have watts or rpm or nothing to guide you when on the trainer?

I have the watts as approximated by the machine (as opposed to a power tap) and I didn't install the Garmin thing yet that does the RPM. It was a bit ugly.

Cool info, Tone. Also shows me what sort of standard I need to aim for.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48 »
    So you have time , gearing and Watts to decide your training sessions

Easy

you can build pyramids or do intervals or even long steady rides

instead of going for a ride set a program

20 min warm up at say 70 % max watts at a good RPM

then you can do things

like 5 min at 80% 

1 min rest

4 min 90 %

1 min rest

3 min 100%

1 min rest

4 min 90 %

1 min rest

3 min 80 %

1 min rest in turning the gear over maybe 70 % RPM 60 % watts

You can do gear jumping ( as I call it )

warm up

get to where you are feeling warm smooth and pushing a good gear but comfortable

then go 1 min at a higher gear then down ( starting gear) for 1 min

1 min at 2 higher gears

1 min  starting gear

1 min 3 up

1 min starting gear

etc

it is interval training using gears and resistance

you can still go for a long ride

70 - 80 % of full output and ITT against the clock again building up
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:38 »
    Indoor cycling training programs

Aerobic power 1 (50 minutes)
    15 minutes – Warm up (increasing intensity)
    5 x (4min high intensity + 2min low intensity)
    5 minutes cool down

This program is designed to increase your maximum oxygen consumption. It gives you 20 minutes at a very high oxygen consumption, but it is not designed to be ridden to complete exhaustion.

Your VO2 max will gain improvements even at a more comfortable pace. It is, however, still important to push yourself very hard during the intervals. In the resting periods you should maintain an intensity at about 60% of VO2 max.

Aerobic power 2 (49 minutes)
    15 minutes – warm up (increasing intensity)
    5 x (40 sec. very high intensity – 20 sec. low intensity)
    3 minutes recovery
    3 minutes recovery
    3 minutes recovery
    5 minutes cool down

This program is also designed to increase your maximum oxygen consumption. You work with a slightly higher intensity during the intervals than in the previous ‘Aerobic Power 1′ program. You will also gain increments in your anaerobic capacity.

You can expect results after only a couple of training sessions. This program really rocks.

Anaerobic power 1 (50 minutes)
    15 minutes – warm up (increasing intensity)
    5 x (60sec. maximum intensity + 6 min. recovery)

This program is designed to increase your anaerobic capacity. During the intervals the body is exposed to enormous amounts of anaerobic metabolits. After only a few of these sessions your body will be better to work at an anaerobic enviroment. This skill is primarily used in competitions, where jumps and sprints demand anaerobic efforts. This art of training is very exhausting and therefore it should primarily be used for competition preparation.

Jesper Bondo Medhus explains more about his strong views on VO2 max and threshold power in his weekly email updates. Simply enter your name and email below and hit

and maybe this helps Larri

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=winter_training
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 14:11 »
    Have a crack at this if your turbo can be near a laptop...

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoorCyclingWorkout.php?id=116

I use this website to design stupidly hard sessions...
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12 »
    I simply do not understand why anyone would ever spend more than 1 hour on a trainer, or rollers.  You're trying to maintain fitness base.  The idea of going hard out with heavy intervals or the like at this time of the year .....

Spend half an hour to 45 minutes on the rollers or trainer, make it quality time and do some body weight exercises.

On the weekends - get outside.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 06:27 »
    I simply do not understand why anyone would ever spend more than 1 hour on a trainer, or rollers.  You're trying to maintain fitness base.  The idea of going hard out with heavy intervals or the like at this time of the year .....

Spend half an hour to 45 minutes on the rollers or trainer, make it quality time and do some body weight exercises.

Agree
    That is my point...but...but...
    I am using them also like weight training supplement...like 2x40 squats and then jump on rollers for 30 min...just for legs keep relaxing...

But...but...one hard session per week would not be a killer, just to not get boring...you know...3-4 hard session at this time of the year is a problem...
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 16:47 »
    Agree
    That is my point...but...but...
    I am using them also like weight training supplement...like 2x40 squats and then jump on rollers for 30 min...just for legs keep relaxing...

But...but...one hard session per week would not be a killer, just to not get boring...you know...3-4 hard session at this time of the year is a problem...

Yup,

during the winter I tend to ride less, weekends mostly and that due to low light, evenings I will ride the rollers about three times a week but rarely go more than an hour as it is just too boring, and I think counter productive.

As the spring starts to lead into more outdoor riding I will increase the intensity of roller workouts, but I don't increase the time of any of them.

On resource which I have used for years and find very helpful is a book called The Heart Rate Monitor Workbook  ( http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Workbook-Indoor-Cyclists/dp/1884737935#_ ) it has detailed workouts of different types and you can tailor a program.  If you buy this book, look for an older edition, like the one shown, as it has clearer details for HRM use.  Later editions tried to conflate HRM andd PM use and they messed it up.

in spring there are a couple of workouts in that book that I do once each per week and I can barely focus my eyes after those, so they are doing what they are supposed to do.

But over the winter, I do snowshoing, XC skiing, body weight exercises, hit the gym for weights and Erg machine workouts.  It all works, it's a break and I don't have spend more than an hour on a trainer or rollers.
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48 »

The trainer/roller doesn't have to be purely a base fitness tool, I often use mine during the summer (when it is wettest here) rather than risking the road and traffic in the rain. A great training tool is the Sufferfest website: www.thesufferfest.com. They have several videos ranging from race and TT simulations to 30 sec on/30 sec off intervals. Most are only about 45 - 60 mins but are a quality workout if you do them as intended. The video footage is from pro races and the soundtrack is ok too. I recommend them to anyone who has to stick to the trainer for whatever reason.

If you just want to do base, spin while watching a movie or a session of the cricket.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06 »
    Any advice on kit  to get - rollers or trainers - somethng im looking to get into. 
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 13:01 »
    Any advice on kit  to get - rollers or trainers - somethng im looking to get into.

what sort of cash you got to spend?
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 13:04 »

I would like to spend £100 (120E, 160$, 155AUS$) second hand, but could spend more on something new that would hold its value.
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40 »
    I would like to spend £100 (120E, 160$, 155AUS$) second hand, but could spend more on something new that would hold its value.

If you look around you should be able to get a decent set of rollers (probably 2nd hand) for that amount. The major chains should also have some specials at this time of the year too.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04 »
    im bidding on Tacx T1000...
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 00:20 »
    The trainer/roller doesn't have to be purely a base fitness tool, I often use mine during the summer (when it is wettest here) rather than risking the road and traffic in the rain. A great training tool is the Sufferfest website: www.thesufferfest.com. They have several videos ranging from race and TT simulations to 30 sec on/30 sec off intervals. Most are only about 45 - 60 mins but are a quality workout if you do them as intended. The video footage is from pro races and the soundtrack is ok too. I recommend them to anyone who has to stick to the trainer for whatever reason.

If you just want to do base, spin while watching a movie or a session of the cricket.

Agreed, I often use my rollers in the summer.  When I don't have enought time to get  out, want to do something specific, or as has become a regular annual occurence - when the forest fires are especially heavy and the smoke is thick enough to make riding unpleasant.
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 52
    « Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 19:24 »
    What are you guys' records?  In time spent on the rollers I mean.... Mine's 3h30. I was so happy when I was done:p and so proud :p
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 00:23 »
    What are you guys' records?  In time spent on the rollers I mean.... Mine's 3h30. I was so happy when I was done:p and so proud :p
    that is my best too. it does feel good when you stop! :wave
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13 »
    Jesus dude...mine 2 hrs on rollers...never more for sure. Now 30 min max 8)
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    « Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47 »
    Personally I've only ever done 90 minute sessions, but if the weather was foul I'd do three sessions a day (early morning, lunchtime, evening) of an hour each.

Best I've ever seen is this...
    When I was riding for Tulip in 91 I was living in a house with a few other pros including an East German guy called Olaf Jensch (sp?)... Olaf was a stickler for adhering to his training schedule (if it said do 5 hours he would, to the minute)... We were due to do a six hour ride one Wednesday but it was blowing a gale and snowing, so instead of braving the elements he set up his rollers, jumped on and started riding... the full six hours! (I sh*t you not, six bloody hours on the rollers  :fp)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 366
    « Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 14:27 »
    around 3 hours for me

I try at the moment to get at least 60 to 90 minutes in a training, 4 to 5 days a week, because the weather is just particular sh*tty at the moment
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 52
    « Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 20:10 »
    Personally I've only ever done 90 minute sessions, but if the weather was foul I'd do three sessions a day (early morning, lunchtime, evening) of an hour each.

When I was riding for Tulip in 91 I was living in a house with a few other pros including an East German guy called Olaf Jensch (sp?)... Olaf was a stickler for adhering to his training schedule (if it said do 5 hours he would, to the minute)... We were due to do a six hour ride one Wednesday but it was blowing a gale and snowing, so instead of braving the elements he set up his rollers, jumped on and started riding... the full six hours! (I sh*t you not, six bloody hours on the rollers  :fp)

that's insane...

Did two hours today,
    20 relaxed minutes as warming-up
    from then on it was suffering time, 6x6 minutes at heartrate of 170-180 and 5 min rest in between at a heartrate of 140-150.
    then 140-150 until the 2 hours were done :p
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 21:47 »

But he is German anyway ;D...6 hrs Jesus...
    Like idea of three or two sessions rather than killing myself for 2 hrs...no more thanx...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 19:54 »
    And so after a trip downunder, it has begun.

And a core workout after, pain.  Have the bike in a room which is kept around 10c, it was minus 17c outside. Well the room increased 2 degrees after 30 min.
     :cheesy
  • ReplyReply

•