• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6651
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: Direct Energie news thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30 »
As I wrote in January, I was sceptical that #direct would go so well without Coquard and yet here it is, still in early March, with seven wins already, two of them at WT level.

Calmejane, Boudat and now Cousin have all contributed but Hivert has been the unlikely standout so far.

Perhaps Coquard's departure has left Bernaudeau's men freer to go on the attack instead of sacrificing themselves to shepherd a pint-sized sprinter to a plethora of placings.

As for Cousin's win yesterday, not a few will be scratching their heads over a rider who has been around for nine seasons but remains a largely anonymous figure in the peloton, especially because he is rather an eccentric character by all accounts.

After the podium in Sisteron, journos asked the experienced Cousin why he had raced only 39 days in 2017 while still at #cofidis and apparently uninjured. "Because I was mainly playing golf," came the reply.

Strange indeed. During the 2015 Vuelta, where Cousin famously clipped a wheel and stumbled just 500m from a potential stage win, the Frenchman was seen at the roadside bartering parts of his Europcar racing kit for four euros' worth of chorizo sausage.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.3159933 (NL)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11325
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 12:56 »
    Hivert has often been strong relatively early in the season (3rd in Yorkshire & GC + stage win in Castilla y Leon 2017, 3rd in Haut-Var 2015, 1st in Etoile 2013 + 2 stage wins in Ruta del Sol, and so on) - and not much after. In a recent interview he said that it's because of difficulties to cope with warmer temperatures. So let's see how it goes this year...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6651
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 20:05 »
    Well now, #direct has been consistent this Spring, adding five more wins since the last update.

I read today that a controlling share in the company Direct Energie (known as "Poweo" here in Belgium) has been purchased by petrogiant Total. Of course, it is unclear what this will mean for the tiny team budget, but Total has given notice of its intention to aggressively increase its market share, so presumably that will need to be fuelled by extra publicity.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Cycling Farmers by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:27]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:55]

Re: Race news 2019 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:48]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Armchair Cyclist
    [November 15, 2018, 17:06]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by search
    [November 15, 2018, 14:08]

Re: Cycling Farmers by search
    [November 15, 2018, 11:11]