collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5911
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
It is steaming hot in Denmark
It's not actually steaming hot though. It's a very dry heat, thankfully. I find heat & humidity unbearable.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    It's not actually steaming hot though. It's a very dry heat, thankfully. I find heat & humidity unbearable.

This describes it well for me.

I like it like it was today, maybe a bit colder, or insanely hot, and super humid. It seems that if I can't be at perfect temprature, then it needs to be very much over, and I start feeling better again. Like 35-40 degrees, super humid.

It was steaming by danish standards for may though today. Ended up sunburned from being in the park today.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It was steaming by danish standards for may though today. Ended up sunburned from being in the park today.
    We have differing definitions of steaming then. You seem to use it as meaning very hot; to me it means it's actually steaming (i.e. very humid).

Yes, it was a very hot day. And it's supposed to be ever hotter tomorrow. And on top of that I'm going to be surrounded by light-coloured sand that reflects the sunlight. So much light! :o
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    We have differing definitions of steaming then. You seem to use it as meaning very hot; to me it means it's actually steaming (i.e. very humid).

Yes, it was a very hot day. And it's supposed to be ever hotter tomorrow. And on top of that I'm going to be surrounded by light-coloured sand that reflects the sunlight. So much light! :o

Nice day at the beach, or working at a daycare ie. a sandbox or something?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    a sandbox or something?
    You could call it a sandbox. :lol
    Only it's a ~50 m square, and 3-4 m deep. Complete with an excavator and a dump truck. That I (well, my colleagues really, but bear with me for the sake of the argument) get to tell where to go and where to dig. :cool

It's called being an archaeologist. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    You could call it a sandbox. :lol
    Only it's a ~50 m square, and 3-4 m deep. Complete with an excavator and a dump truck. That I (well, my colleagues really, but bear with me for the sake of the argument) get to tell where to go and where to dig. :cool

It's called being an archaeologist. ;)

Thought for a few sections we were talking about a gravel pit, was going to post this.

Either way I thought they covered those digs in tents, metro related?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    Either way I thought they covered those digs in tents, metro related?
    Sometimes that is indeed done. Mostly in cities (like with the Copenhagen metro), but also out here. However, the tent to cover a field of the size we're dealing with is yet to be constructed. ;)

We had a few smaller-size (~5x10-15 m) tents covering parts of an excavation. One of those (steel girders tethered to heavy concrete blocks) got blown up from the excavation during a storm a couple of weeks back. :o We were all very relieved that happened during the weekend!
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    Sometimes that is indeed done. Mostly in cities (like with the Copenhagen metro), but also out here. However, the tent to cover a field of the size we're dealing with is yet to be constructed. ;)

We had a few smaller-size (~5x10-15 m) tents covering parts of an excavation. One of those (steel girders tethered to heavy concrete blocks) got blown up from the excavation during a storm a couple of weeks back. :o We were all very relieved that happened during the weekend!

Thought you mentioned studying sometime, but I suppose that gets done too sometime. Sadly like George W. in 2005 I'm in for four more years.  :S

Edit: would like to clearify that the above sadly does not apply to me but to GWB if anybody was confused.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 22:17 by DB-Coop »

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2621
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    My niece had outgrown her bike. I brought it down for the neighbor's girl Karina. Here she is on her first ride

I really screwed the pooch on the video. not sure what I did wrong but I did it three times in a row  :o

Mom wants to ride also  :cool

• ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    My niece had outgrown her bike. I brought it down for the neighbor's girl Karina. Here she is on her first ride

That smile on her face ... beautiful. Nothing like riding a bike. :)
    Is it her first bike?
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    I have seen her riding but not sure if it was her bike.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3851
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    So cool krabby :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    I took these at my aunt's house

Sunsets in the south of India are really good
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, I went to a one-day festival on Saturday pretty much on a whim with a ladyshape who happened to have a spare ticket.

One of the best gigs I ever attended but I think that was only partly to do with the music. :cool

Ladyshapes are wonderful, aren't they?  :;^^  :Flower:  :luv

Normal service will be resumed...  :nerd:
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3485
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    soudns awesome Larri
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I wouldn't say I depend on it, but it is nice to feel wanted sometimes.

All you want really in this life is for someone to lay their head on your chest and let you gently sniff their hair.  :Gift:
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012

All you want really in this life is for someone to lay their head on your chest and let you gently sniff their hair.  :Gift:

What happened to normal L'arri - I want normal L'arri back  :(

Just kidding - it's always nice to see good people happy  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476

I agree and my missus is wonderful that way.It helps that my body is chiseled from stone by michelangelo :D  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    There is so much love and kindness going on in this forum, I can't wait until the Tour brings out the worst in people again.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    Sitting here two hours away from the crossing the exact halfway point of 2014, I have a good feeling that the second half of this year is going to be much better than the first half. Which has had some great moments, no doubt, but a whole lot of horrible ones and a lot of very unpleasant things about myself (specifically why I'm so unhappy) that I have discovered.

:)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Sitting here two hours away from the crossing the exact halfway point of 2014, I have a good feeling that the second half of this year is going to be much better than the first half. Which has had some great moments, no doubt, but a whole lot of horrible ones and a lot of very unpleasant things about myself (specifically why I'm so unhappy) that I have discovered.

I concur with your general optimism but unpleasant discoveries about yourself will probably continue to occur intermittently into the future. You just get better at handling it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media

Oh boy.
    If my second half of 2014 is going to be better than the first half, I'm not sure I can handle that. The first half was great beyond description already. :)

Yes. Hits the nail on the head, like he always does, our L'arri. :cool

And finally, to make SR happy too: The sun is shining, but those clouds are bound to hold rain. I can feel the downpour coming already.
    But even that wouldn't be able to bring me down. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• johnmarquez

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 13
    The first time I got to see the moon through my large telescope (it stands almost as tall as I do). It was neat to see all the craters that are just to small from our eye's vantage point and the minor color variations in the soil. What really amazed me was how fast it was moving through the sky. You look up at it and it seems to be moving really slowly but through a telescope that large you have to follow it (with very fine motion) to focus on a single feature. It's a breath taking experience that I wish everyone could experience for themselves at least once.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    Welcome to Velorooms, johnmarquez! :welcome
    If you want to, you can introduce yourself here.

The first time I got to see the moon
    Yes, nature is breathtaking.
    I don't have a telescope, but just looking up at the clouds (at day), or (at night) the stars and the moon gets me every time.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes

Mandolin Music!

• ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    Re: I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    « Reply #295 on: November 01, 2014, 14:24 »

Lynda relaxing on the deck deciding if she will move in here when she retires next August
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #296 on: January 12, 2015, 16:43 »
    Some shots of last nights sunset

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 762
    « Reply #297 on: November 19, 2015, 05:33 »
    . . ., but it is nice to feel wanted sometimes.

All you want really in this life  . . .

I was wandering around the forum, looking for a good spot for this post, and I think this is it. After all, you can't have joy without sadness, nor beauty without ugliness, right? It has been a beautiful year, but for some quite sad and perhaps heartbreaking moments. One of which was cycling-related.

This spring our old dog (14 yrs old in Jan) passed away. This had been expected for some months. She was old, and had cancer. But, the happy part was that she had a good and long life, with lots of time to enjoy the world and her part in it. These past few years especially so, as she and I came to a compromise - she wouldn't run away if I took her running daily. Worked out pretty well. She was a fool for running and smelling, and eating, now that I think about it.

Very shortly after that, our young dog passed away. I found it much harder to find the good here. He was my buddy and my friend. He was the only dog I have ever had whom I knew, when he looked at me? I could see his day was better because I was in it. I can not tell you how good that made me feel. And ultimately, that is the good, because we had that. Having that bond has helped me understand dogs better, and it is more likely I will share similar bonds with dogs in the future. Not the same, but similar.

Matter of fact, in August we got two new mutts. A brother and sister act, two English Shepherds - a collie type breed - full of mischief. They are fitting in as companions. A check in the good column.

Also in August, we had the Vuelta. And, for me, it was a beautiful, and heart-breaking, Vuelta. I found myself rooting for Dumoulin, and hoping that he could defy the odds all the way to the finish. And then came the day of heartbreak, and reality took hold. But the beauty of that attempt will live far longer. It will live as long as we can tell the story of it, as long as we can remember it.

I know others here do not like Tommy Voeckler. But I will always remember the Tour (2004, if I recall) where he put in an even more unlikely defense of the yellow. And I was cheering him on every foot of the way. I found that a thing of beauty that year. Dumoulin was, in retrospect, perhaps less unlikely a leader, but only time and history will tell. Meanwhile, it was a whopping good Vuelta this year.

And now, the last item in this list, and the reason I started thinking along these lines. Ronda Rousey's recent loss to Holly Holm. A far different sport, I know, but I have some history in my life of being involved in the martial arts. It was never a love, like cycling, but it has provided a grounding at times. Anyway, I've been following Rousey now since about her 3rd bout on Strikeforce. Those slam-bang armbars were just amazing. And, she seemed to me to be relatively humble and approachable. I remember one of her first big MMA wins - where she was trying to be considerate and not actually dislocate her opponent's arm. Which sportsmanlike conduct got her questioned by both her opponent and some of the public. Anyway, she seemed pretty amazing. And then she kept getting better. Won the belt. Defended it. Then got the UFC to open up a women's division. Then she turned into their biggest star. Meteoric would be a good descriptor here. So, she is a star. And she was the champ. And, she DOMINATED all her previous opponents. Now, it has been said, for as far back as I've been watching her, that if somebody could keep her standing, and keep it a punching game, they could beat her. But none of the women who faced her to date could do that. I think it was Zingano who was known for her standup game. But, she charged Rousey at the opening bell, which played right into Ronda's hands. So, it was looking like there wasn't anybody out there who could really challenge Ronda.

All that history is why Ronda was a massive favorite going into the Holly Holm fight. Holly, from the clips I've seen (can't afford the whole match ppv) honestly won the whole match. She BOXED Rousey, and nobody else has been able to do that. But Holm played the angles, kept the distance open, and plugged away until she got the opportunity, and then closed the show. It was beautiful. And it broke my heart. I wanted Rousey to win again. But she got soundly beaten. <sigh>.  So, the good part? It was a beautiful fight. Incredible skill, amazing effort, exceptional conditioning, training, and form. After it was over Holm is respecting Rousey, and vicey-versa. And multitudes of other pro fighters are respecting Rousey and Holm. And all-around hugfest. Not what you get from a normal championship bout. Nor a normal MMA championship bout (which are frequently more like a test of responders for the steroid crowd, if you know what I mean). So, it was sad, to me, but it was good at the same time. Nobody got robbed, Holm earned her win righteously. Rousey will likely be back. This will actually be a chance for the women's side of the sport to honestly grow and capitalize on the massive audiences Rousey brought. A lot of good. A little heartache.

And then, I realized, I felt a similar heartache over Dumoulin. A massively impressive effort, followed by a northern lights spectacular downfall. And I wanted to share my feelings somewhere. And, (again - forgive my poor writing style! My creativity is running down for the day!) when I started writing, I realized that the dogs fit in the same category.

Something painful, something beautiful. I am grateful that I have the privilege of posting these thoughts to this wonderful group.

Hold tight to the excellence within your heart, for when it exists, free of ego and outside pressures, the joy of the dance itself shines through.  Levez-toi! Danse![1]
     1. This is a bit lighthearted, considering this past Friday in Paris, but we can talk about that somewhere else. Right? This is supposed to be the blue skies thread, yes? Ok.
  • ReplyReply
  • Faut y croire!