collapse

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 16
The Weather
« on: January 30, 2012, 13:25 »
Well, we need somewhere for Krebs to tease us with pics of his glorious, sunny view over a blue sea. :(

A cold front has hit eastern and central Europe and is heading westwards. Amsterdam saw its first, tiny sprinkling of snow during the night. The daytime highs for the next five days will be below zero, nighttime lows between -5 and -10. :o

Yes, I know it's summer in Oz. :(
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: The Weather
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 13:27 »
    Snowing here in Brussels. Outside the window, I can see all the finance eejits arriving in limos for their summit on how best to sink Greece into the Aegean.  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 14:09 »
    It's -3 on my balcony.Tonight should be fun. :o
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2574
    • Social Media Jurist
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 15:05 »

Clear. High: 78 °F / 26 °C . Wind Calm.
    The sunsets are pretty nice too.

• ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 15:51 »
    it's threatening to snow in Gent but, thus far, it's just dreary and ****ing freezing  :(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10220
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 15:53 »
    it's threatening to snow in Gent but, thus far, it's just dreary and ****ing freezing  :(

Minus 15 c this morning with minus 20s on the way for me.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 15:55 »

Where are you?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 16:01 »
    Where are you?

Stockholm
  • ReplyReply

• thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 17:19 »
    Stockholm
    i was speaking to a friend there this morning and she said it was cold but not how cold... i feel like such a wuss now.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 22:39 »
    Well, it got to 59*F today....partly cloudy mostly....
    I went out for a two hour ride this morning....gusty winds to 35mph though but still pretty much fun riding ----this IS January in Colorado fgs!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 00:04 »
    Well, we need somewhere for Krebs to tease us with pics of his glorious, sunny view over a blue sea. :(

A cold front has hit eastern and central Europe and is heading westwards. Amsterdam saw its first, tiny sprinkling of snow during the night. The daytime highs for the next five days will be below zero, nighttime lows between -5 and -10. :o

Yes, I know it's summer in Oz. :(

Yes it is summer here, but in Sydney it is a rubbish one. For the last few days have managed to dodge the rain by spending way too much time looking at weather forecasts and timing rides accordingly but heavy rain forecast for next few days

to be fair even when raining it is still warm enough to be riding in shorts and cycling top with no need for extras, but as far as summer goes it sucks. (and still do not understand my need to take arm warmers with me on rides when i have not need to use them in 2 months)

also, after a few days off avoiding early starts, this morning got up at 5.45 and for first time in a while it was dark. is always harder getting up to ride when it is dark outside

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 00:06 by daveinzambia »

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2453
    « Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 00:11 »
    I'd take the cold over the sunny beaches right now. I love ice skating over natural ice, and since I'll be in the Netherlands for a while longer I'll hope to be able to do that there :)

Also an Elfstedentocht would be awesome (not likely, I know, but one can dream).
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestoned

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 00:16 »
    First snow today. 2cm  :o
    Very icy coldfront coming next days. Hope for some real snow before winter is over.
    This year was a joke. No summer, no winter.

But autumn was golden.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 00:17 by Cobblestoned »

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 00:34 »
    First snow today. 2cm  :o
    Very icy coldfront coming next days. Hope for some real snow before winter is over.
    This year was a joke. No summer, no winter.

But autumn was golden.

Scheißwetter ;). Yep alot of snow here in the NEtherlands too, luckily not that much that it'll stay with huge heaps - but snow nonetheless. And its going to be cold.. -20C 'feelingtemperature' in the east of the country - long live the Sea climate in the west!
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 07:20 »
    Forecast for next 2 days heavy rain morning and evening. Do I MTFU and go out on bike or suffer through sessions on a spin bike in the gym.
  • ReplyReply

• JA.T

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 07:44 »
    Forecast for next 2 days heavy rain morning and evening. Do I MTFU and go out on bike or suffer through sessions on a spin bike in the gym.

Do one of the spin classes, chill out and avoid the other...then really enjoy the ride outdoors once the rain has passed. You will be able to put all that pent-up energy and frustration to good use on the ride.

Good luck and safe riding.

ciao js
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 10:19 »
    Do one of the spin classes, chill out and avoid the other...then really enjoy the ride outdoors once the rain has passed. You will be able to put all that pent-up energy and frustration to good use on the ride.

Good luck and safe riding.

ciao js

Probably sensible and the logic is enough to remove any guilt. do not really need to go training in the rain, not like i am a pro.

will get up early and if it is raining will head to the gym instead
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 13:10 »
    Bright sun, freezing.....all week.....had to shut my bedroom window during the night.....
  • ReplyReply

• thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 12:54 »
    Bright sun, freezing.....all week.....had to shut my bedroom window during the night.....
    yes, but there's sun, glorious sun!!!
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 13:16 »
    yes, but there's sun, glorious sun!!!

Yes, wonderful, isn't it? ;D

The only downside is that I can now see how dirty my windows are. :(
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 17:00 »
    Cold... So ... Cold... -5C here in Zwijndrecht with a wind that terrorizes the flesh.. So.. Cold.

"Feelingtemperature" of -10C. Cold..
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34 »
    daniel oss tweets.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 12:35 »
    A cold snap that has killed dozens of people in central, eastern and southern Europe in the past few days is spreading to other parts of the continent and is likely to last for days.

As temperatures dropped to around -30'C, deaths were reported in Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Serbia and elsewhere.

Italy and Greece have also been shrouded in snow

Film here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16848877
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2574
    • Social Media Jurist
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 13:38 »
    Clear. High: 68 °F / 20 °C . Wind WNW 6 mph / 10 km/h

• ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 14:06 »
    In case some of you are unaware, the Dutch are skating crazy. The moment we get a proper cold snap, the moment we have one night around -10c, people start talking about the Holy Grail of skating, the Elfstedentocht.  :P

The Elfstedentocht (or, in West Frisian, Alvestêdetocht, English translation: "Eleven Cities Tour"), at 200 km, is the world's largest and longest speed skating competition and leisure skating tour, and is held in the province of Friesland, Netherlands only when the ice along the entire course is 15 cm thick.[1]

The Elfstedentocht (or, in West Frisian, Alvestêdetocht, English translation: "Eleven Cities Tour"), at 200 km, is the world's largest and longest speed skating competition and leisure skating tour, and is held in the province of Friesland, Netherlands only when the ice along the entire course is 15 cm thick.[1]

The cold spell in late Janaury and early February 2012 has heightened the expectation of a 2012 Elfstedentocht. On 2 February 2012, it was reported that there was a 95% probabilty that the event would take place and that various locks that controlled the water flow in the canals had been adjusted to maximise the ice thickness. On the same day, the Dutch weather meteorological service forecast that temperatures would not rise above freezing until Wednesday 8 February at the earliest and that the ice would be 15 cm thick from Tuesday 7 February until Saturday 11 February.[3]

So, it looks like we may actually be in business this year! 8) I have lived here since 1989 and have only ever seen one Elfstedentocht, in 1997.

Since the Elfstedentocht is such a rare event, its declaration creates excitement all over the country. As soon as a few days pass with sub-zero temperatures, the media start speculating about the chances for an Elfstedentocht. The longer the freezing temperatures stay, the more intense this "Elfstedenkoorts" (eleven-city tour fever) gets - culminating in a national near-frenzy when the magic words "It giet oan" ("it is on!" in Frisian) are spoken to announce that the tour is actually taking place. The day before the race many Dutch flock to Leeuwarden to enjoy the party atmosphere that surrounds the event. The evening before the race called the "Nacht van Leeuwarden" (Night of Leeuwarden) becomes a giant city-wide street party (Frisians, who have a reputation of surliness, are said to thaw when it freezes). At the day of the race most Frisians and Dutchmen either stay home to watch the race on television or find a place along the route to cheer on the skaters.

Meanwhile, the city of Amsterdam has closed the sluices that flush the city's canals at night, and declared the smaller canals of West-Amsterdam (where I live) closed to all traffic so that the ice will quickly reach a safe thickness to permit skating on the canals. I've only ever done that twice in my time here and would dearly love to do it again!

I'll post updates if this actually goes ahead! :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht#History
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 14:09 »
    ice is always thicker on the other side of the fence  ;D

• ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 14:48 »
    "Frisians, who have a reputation of surliness, are said to thaw when it freezes"

I  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 14:49 by Tuarts »
    2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 22:27 »
    According to usually reliable sources in the US of A, Punxsutawney Phil today saw his shadow and disappeared back into his hole. This means that winter will continue for another 60 days. Bummer.

UK readers may want to avert their eyes when I tell you that Punxsutawney Phil lives in Gobbler's Knob. Honestly.

In other news, it's -8c (17f) on my balcony. ::)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 03:39 »
    daniel oss tweets.

wow! had to copy & save thAT.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59 »
    AND just some guy
    I also saved and shared that incredible vid of ice!!

Tonight we are warned about a winter storm that has already started...a possibility of 17inches or more of snow.
    hmm...no cycling for a while.  :(
  • ReplyReply

•