collapse

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2029
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Chris Froome
« on: October 17, 2012, 22:52 »
Thought we needed a separate thread and intro for Froome..  :D

Even subsequent to clearing up the matter of why Sky were capable of performing to such high levels there is still the dilemma of Chris Froome. His rise to the top was not only unprecedented, but in fact it was completely out of the blue and many people would say that there was not even so much as the slightest indication of his talent prior to the 2011 Vuelta.

Logically this would be a clear and very blatant sign as to possible doping; the simple explanation for the ridiculous leap would be due to doping. It was the factor which gave him the ability to perform beyond what he was previously capable of and it has been the cause of his ascension to one of the most highly rated Grand Tour riders who are currently racing in the modern peloton.

But in my opinion and from what I have read and heard about the rider, it seems as if his startling rise to the very summit of Grand Tour racing may not have been all that surprising. Personally I believe that he was hindered by a variety of factors, but behind all his struggles he encountered there was in fact a very talented cyclists waiting for the opportunity to prove his talent.

Froome was born in Nairobi to English parents, without going into unnecessary detail it should be mentioned that he started off racing BMX bikes and was racing by the age of 13, he then moved to South Africa at the age of 14.

It was in fact only once he was living in South Africa that he started to turn his attention to road cycling, but the infrastructure was not ideal and it would prove to be costly. Prior to his arrival in South Africa he had never even ridden a road bike, only BMX and Mountain bikes.

He was coached by David Kinjah who had competed to a decent level himself, but Froome did not receive anywhere close to the training expertise and coaching techniques that many of his rivals would have at similar ages.

It was only then at the age of 22 that Froome became pro, once again considering his talent he should have become pro earlier but it was obvious that he had been restricted by the limited resources that were available to him

Froome's first team was Team Konica Minolta and they were a South African team with limited resources as expected. In his first season he did relatively well a win at the Tour of Japan was followed by a number of placings around the globe as his team charted unprecedented territory.

It was at the Giro delle Regioni where Froome really started to show potential and in retrospect his perfomances were quite remarkable for a rider who was competing with such a distinct disadvantage due to his lack of skills and professional training. He won the primary mountain stage ahead of riders who have now become household names, the likes of Tour de France stage winner Rui Costa and Bauke Mollema who came 4th at the Vuelta 2011 amonst others.

This has been Froome's first real crack at proper European racing and he had taken to it amazingly well considering his limiting circumstances. In fact Froome would have dominated the race if not for his chain braking in the closing meters of the other major stage.

Yet even considering the amazing perfomance Froome has put in, it was not enough. He had been racing for the WCC (World Cycling Centre Team) whilst in Europe and the coach of the team Michael Theze said of Froome that...

He's not a technical rider yet. He fell four time during the race. Two of his falls came in the third stage, costing him 1:20. When you see that in the final ranking he is only 1:25 behind the winner it isn't difficult to do the maths."

It is obvious to us in retrospect that Froome was still far behind the other riders when it came to the technical skills required to race at the highest level and this placed him at a significant disadvantage.

Then in 2008 Froome was eventually snapped up by Barloworld and was therefore under the direction of their Italian manager Claudio Corti, now the manager of Farnese Vini. As would be expected of any neo-pro - no matter their talent - who was only starting out in their career, the season was to be used merely as an eye opener for Froome and for him to truly adjust to the European style of racing.

Yet even so Froome was impressive he finished in the Top 10 in a number of minor races and he safely finished a number of high profile classics such as Liege Bastogne Liege and La Fleche Wallone. His most impressive result though was his 5th place finish in a TT at the Vuelta asturias where he managed to finish a mere 26 seconds behind Samuel Sanchez the soon to be Olympic champion.

Froome was certainly showing signs of his potential. He was then given the opportunity to ride his first Grand Tour - the Tour de France and he battled through it, and then managing to eventually finish 14th on the final stage which was a TT.

If there was ever a test of strength to determine whether Froome had the potential to become a future Grand Tour contender it was this. Without the proper training or techniques and not being used to the rigours of a 3 week race, Froome nevertheless posted what would be considered a magnificent result for any neo-pro. Indeed this had already been proven a few days earlier when he had been climbing with the lead group for the majority of the Alpe d'huez climb.

2009 was a year where Froome seemed not to have made much improvement.

He came 6th in a Giro stage amonst other decent yet not spectacular results.
This was not the progression of an extremely talented rider who would go on to dominate the world of cycling, but rather of a mediocre rider who would remain inconspicuous amongst the pro ranks.

2009 should have been the year when Froome started to excel, but instead it turned out to be a year where he displayed nothing of any true substance. This has resulted in many people believing that Froome does not have the natural talent as his Tour rivals and that therefore the logical explanation for his current status in the sport is down to drugs.

This was what his team manage Claudio Corti had to say at the time. Corti claimed that Froome whom he dubbed his “white Kenyan” would

Finish in the top 5 of the Tour de France, or do even better”

Clearly Corti had seen what Froome was capable of and believed that he was indeed innately capable. He just was not racing at the level he was capable of racing at, because of the reason stated above, that he was hindered by his lack of technical prowess.

Then Froome joined Sky and his career would be totally altered. Sky had just started up and it took time for him to adjust. The whole set up was new to Froome and from what I have seen and heard it seems to be that Froome was on the outskirts of this setup. The Sky team were not as methodical then with all their riders as they are now and considering how Froome was still considered to be a peripheral member of the squad and therefore not treated with the same respect as riders like Wiggins, his technical skills were still rather poor and this still hindered him. But even more than that the defining reason for his poor reasons in 2010, which were headlined by a Tour de Haut var 9th place, was due to the fact that on Holiday in Kenya he had contracted the disease of Bilharzia.

“Either in Kenya or South Africa, I got a water parasite, which is really difficult to get rid of.
"We found out that I had it last December, I had a full blood screening in Africa as they regularly check for it over there.
“It feeds on red blood cells so for an endurance athlete it’s a nightmare. It’s something I’m conscious of, in a three-week race you’re bound to have ups and downs.
Yet the Sky management team had in fact noticed his potential and had in fact described him as
a rough diamond, in need of shaping and polishing"

When Froome joined the team back in early 2010.

This is another indication of people who believed in Froome and that he was capable, but just had to improve his technical skills. And of course get over his Bilharzia.

Yet Bilharzia is an infection by parasites who lay eggs deep within the human body and therefore it is very difficult to get rid off.

Entering into the 2011 season Froome had two objectives if was to fulfil his potential. One was to get rid of the Bilharzia and the other was to increase his technical skills.

Luckily for him Bobby Julich had just arrived at Sky and he was assigned to Froome for the 2011 season. This was the first time that Froome had had the opportunity to work with a coach of Julich’s experience and calibre one to one and immediately Julich noted his riders potential.

We did some lab testing with him early in the year and it wasn’t making sense. I saw the numbers and said to Rod Ellingworth that the machines must be calibrated wrong, because these were the numbers of a guy who would finish on the Tour de France podium. Rod told me that, no, they were right. I was amazed.

Yet it soon became apparent to Julich as to the reason why Froome had underperformed so badly over the past 2 years..

But then when we started working together I realised straight away that Chris needed some work on organisation and structure. He was a real tinkerer- always changing his shoes, his training, his diet or whatever. He had also continued to train too much even when he was suffering with the parasite, which had knocked his confidence as well as his energy levels.

Beyond that it was all very basic stuff last year; Chris did not know how to race. I needed to teach him how to get the watts out at the right time. To do that we tried to hold him back in the first few stages in the Vuelta last year, get him to race steadily and this year we basically used the same tactic at Romandie, the Dauphine and the Tour”

I do not believe there is much better proof than that. It was obvious once again here that Froome had been hindered by his lack of education when it came to how to ride a bike.

Likewise Richard Moore commented on Froome’s website that:

After a difficult first season with Team Sky in 2010, he appears to have taken a big step forward this season, partly by working to reduce his upper body movement. Previously, by his own admission, Froome was "literally all over my bike".
"One of the things I want to do is calm my upper body down and become more stable," he explained.
Smooth
Froome thus spent many hours doing core-strengthening Pilates

Once again the reference to the way in which Froome rode his bike as being “all over”,  clearly highlights his deficiencies at the time.

And finally he was starting to get rid of the parasite disease which had bugged him so much. Indeed he was still adapting and learning with :Julich though and his performances were gradually improving as a result.  He came 8th  on a Romandie mountain stage. And top 10s at the Tour de Suisse and Tour of Luxembourg. It was not much granted, but it was clearly signs that he had finally managed to overcome his technical difficulties and was shaking off the effects of the Bilharzia. And of course the rest is very much a part of history.

In conclusion I believe it was always evident that Froome had the potential to become a future Tour de France podium finished.

Indeed his results in his 2007 season spoke volumes for his capabilities, yet when he turned pro it was obvious he could not continue to match those riders he had previously beaten unless he could improve his technical skills. Even if people do not believe his claim of having Bilharzia ,and I am in very little doubt myself at to its validity, it would still be safe to say that he was hindered by his lack of technical skills.

It is logical to assume that without those hindrances Chris Froome would have burst onto the scene much earlier than when he in fact did.

Coupled with his Bilharzia he was very much inhibited in his first year at Sky, but gradually once he learnt the tricks of the trade he became the rider he is today.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 17:08 by Dim, Reason: post icon »
    RIP Keith

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    Re: Chris Froome
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19 »
    I don't feel like reading..too many flipping words... so are you saying chris froome is cleanish?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43 »
    here the thing re Froome

and I have read it somewhere  :-[

as part of his treatment it is a 6 week cycle at which you can not train , the according to froome you are just dead starting from the beginning.

He had a treatment cycle in feb/march of 2012 -
    Doctors initially diagnosed mononucleosis, but the treatments failed. It was only after Froome underwent extensive blood screening following his switch to Sky in 2010 that the parasitic infection was caught and he was prescribed an eye-wateringly strong treatment, similar to chemotherapy

so if you know anyone who has has chemo it nearly kills them - 20 year olds move like 95 year old for months etc

this is where a major major red flag went up for me - How does a rider who goes through such treatment, 1 come back strong in 3 months in fact come back so strong that now they go from some talent to top 15 GT riders after the vuelta , start from nothing to be the strongest at the TDF.

then hold form until the 1 week of the Vuelta

Nope does do not do it for me, people get a small virus and are sh*t all year - or miss a week or 2 training and it takes months to return , froome goes through a chemo like treatment in the early season and world beater by July

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:52 »
    ok - have finally read all of that.

And while I might buy that he had some talent and was hindered by lack of technical skills and good coaching ... I dont buy that it hindered him for 3 years.

He turned pro in 2007 you said - riding for a small SA team.  Many young guys with talent but no training or technical know how will find this pretty tough.  2008 he went to Barlow World ... first year as a NeoPro - ok

But in 2009, when he should have made the next step he did not.  Guys with talent but lacking in technical skills would have gained SOME skills in 2 years as a pro ... or will show glimpses of that talent.  A breakaway or two, small wins, those kinds of things.   Getting 5th in a TT or top 10 in minor races isnt really an indication of massive natural talent the kind you are talking about.

When he got to sky and got 'decent coaching' ... did he have this disease then?   I am a bit confused as to when he actually caught it.

And yeah - if it has held him back so incredibly severely, why the patches of great form?  All of 2011 he was crap, but managed to pull out of it enough to have a super-time at the Vuelta.  Then he was really bad and had to stop racing and have a break ... but back in time to be in tip top shape for the Dauphine and Tour.

Compare that to say Phil.  Phil had obviously a poor off-season.  Not doing the hard work he needed to, and suffered from a tooth infection early on in the season.  He was very average in the early season (Qatar, Tirreno) He was beaten by Jonathon Tiernan Locke in the Tour of Haut Var, very very ordinary at Omloop ...

By then he was training his little backside off ... trying desperately to be in shape in time for RVV.  He fell at MSR, and was ordinary and a few other races before eventually riding for GVA at RVV.  Yes - he rode for his domestique in the major race for him.  Because the 2 or 3 months of training weren't enough to get his form back.

He then started to improve, Brantse Pilj was ok (but not great), was 6th at Amstel Gold Race, 3rd at Fleche Wallone and out of the top 10 at LBL ....

So 3 months after trying desperately to improve ... he still was not in great shape - and that was from an actual training base,not 6 weeks off the bike.  At the Tour he was a little better again and was finally in reasonable shape by the Olympics - some 5 months after his toothache caused him issues.

It takes a LONG time to get back into form when you drop off, so I really dont beleive that Froome could have such treatment in February/March, and be back in form and shape by the Dauphine.  It just doesnt seem to gel for me.
  • ReplyReply

• Michelle

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 9
    « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 13:06 »
    I don't know where you got that rubbish about bilharzia treatment being comparable to chemo?!?
    I was with Chris when he took the 7-day (NOT 6 week) course of medication (immediately following Criterium International) & while there was some mild nausea & fatigue it certainly wasn't anything like a chemo treatment.  He obviously wasn't able to ride while taking the medication.
    And yes, he definitely has been struggling with bilharzia... he is due for another test to see if it's cleared his system.

Really... get your facts straight before making accusations like that... pathetic.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 13:21 »
    Hi Michelle

got the quote from a newspaper

will look for the 6 week quote somewhere

Bt we were talking about the time off the bike in feb/march no one said anything about June  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 13:34 »
    Hi Michelle, and welcome to Velorooms

Quick question since you seem to be confirming things for us - when did Chris actually contract bilharzia, and when was it diagnosed? 

cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 13:42 »
    Very fair and reasoned information froome19... Chris is considered to have come from "nowhere" when he hasnt really..
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 13:44 »
    I don't know where you got that rubbish about bilharzia treatment being comparable to chemo?!?
    I was with Chris when he took the 7-day (NOT 6 week) course of medication (immediately following Criterium International) & while there was some mild nausea & fatigue it certainly wasn't anything like a chemo treatment.  He obviously wasn't able to ride while taking the medication.
    And yes, he definitely has been struggling with bilharzia... he is due for another test to see if it's cleared his system.

Really... get your facts straight before making accusations like that... pathetic.

here is where the chemo thing can from

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/other-sports/parasitic-infection-almost-ended-meteoric-rise-of-cyclings-new-star-froome.18176466?_=6ad4da81a9d33b49db826f73ac38fbbc0ab3dfad

Doctors initially diagnosed mononucleosis, but the treatments failed. It was only after Froome underwent extensive blood screening following his switch to Sky in 2010 that the parasitic infection was caught and he was prescribed an eye-wateringly strong treatment, similar to chemotherapy.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 14:04 »
    right Love a bit of Google me

Doctors initially thought the symptoms pointed toward mononucleosis, but treatments failed to resolve his ongoing problems that left him tired and powerless on the bike. It went largely undiagnosed until he underwent extensive blood screening with a switch to Sky in 2010.

Doctors discovered the rather obscure parasitic infection and quickly prescribed treatments that kill just about everything in the body, similar to chemotherapy.

“It’s a very strong pill. It basically kills everything in your system, and hopefully at the same time, kills the [infection],” Froome said. “It’s something that I have to try to get rid of it. You cannot train when you’re taking that.”

Froome was knocked out of service in March and began building up for the Tour.

“The treatment is pretty rough stuff,” he said. “I have had a bit of a slow start to the season. There was more than a week when I could not even touch the bike. I started picking it up in time to be ready for the Tour.”

Now that’s a true enemy within.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/tour-notebook-stage-15-froome-battles-parasite-media-cars-expelled_230162

so not 6 weeks sorry - but March but might be sh*t research or writing

So 2 chemo articles and 1 it kills everything in the system quote which is what Chemo does
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 14:54 »
    Very fair and reasoned information froome19... Chris is considered to have come from "nowhere" when he hasnt really..

If people gave you a list of young riders in 07/08 who were most likely to win a GT within a next 5 years, where do you think they would have ranked Froome?

(early results often turn out to be misleading indicators of future abilities, but they are all we have to go on).
  • ReplyReply

• Michelle

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 9
    « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 15:04 »
    I'll repeat what I said before... it is NOT like chemo. 
    If you're that interested, the medication is a strong anti-parisitic called Prazitel.
    He took it at the end of March after Criterium International, he had also taken two courses of praziquantel in the past but the parasites kept coming back.  He was diagnosed back in 2010 if I remember correctly.  It's difficult to say when it was contracted.
    It's fairly common for kids to pick it up in Africa playing in dams & rivers and usually goes undetected for years.
    Growing up in South Africa myself, we were taught about it in primary school & told to avoid certain areas. 
    It's really not that strange or uncommon. 
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 15:12 »
    If you're that interested, the medication is a strong anti-parisitic called Prazitel.
    He took it at the end of March after Criterium International, he had also taken two courses of praziquantel in the past but the parasites kept coming back.  He was diagnosed back in 2010 if I remember correctly.  It's difficult to say when it was contracted.
    It's fairly common for kids to pick it up in Africa playing in dams & rivers and usually goes undetected for years.
    Growing up in South Africa myself, we were taught about it in primary school & told to avoid certain areas. 

the trouble is, the press report these things innacurately, say its like chemo, it gets re-reported, more people pick it up, and you end up with a very different story to what was started with.

thanks for you clarification michelle, might help clear up some of the mis-information the press bandy around.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 15:14 »
    the trouble is, the press report these things innacurately, say its like chemo, it gets re-reported, more people pick it up, and you end up with a very different story to what was started with.

Exactly we can only go on what is reported in the press.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 15:19 »
    So Chris Froome is cleanish and should not be suspected?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 15:24 »
    So Chris Froome is cleanish and should not be suspected?

Which is cleaner, Froome cleanish or Hesjedal cleanish?

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 16:56 »
    In recognition of his work dragging the yellow jersey up the mountains, Froome-Dog gets his own smiley :froomedog
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2466
    « Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 18:30 »
    Thank you Froome19, I needed some optimism in this place instead of the same old cynical sh*t.

I'm still not sure wether I believe Froome is clean, but this does sound like a good explanation for his relative lack of results early in his career. Perhaps he should indeed get the benefit of the doubt for now. At least for long enough for him to make the next Tour a nice battle.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 00:56 »
    yep - agree with Slow Rider.

I am still not overly convinced, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I dont like condemning people purely on results, and that is all we have on Froome ...

(:froomedog  that is so cute)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46 »
    and in the spirit of giving himhte benefit of the doubt, his CN interview was better than many others have managed

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-looking-to-lead-sky-in-2013-tour-de-france
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 01:07 »

I know several people who have had Bilharzia and can hide in your body for ages without knowing it. Most people i know reckon they got it from Lake Malawi where everyone tells you not to swim but it is hot and it looks so tempting. But can back up the fact that often people do not know they have it till they suddenly start peeing blood months later and like other diseases it can come back at any point in the future.

I was also told you got it from trying to take a sneaky pee in the water when no one is looking, so you should probably make sure you are not swimming downstream of him too often.....

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42 »
    Dave good to see you again

a point to your tweet,

No one argued with Michelle what I did was point out what I had read in the press and I hope Michelle or Chris got in contact with the press to set them straight.

There is a huge difference but maybe it is hard for you to see that.   
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54 »
    well flip me sideways

after Michelle ie Mrs Dog comes on here to say

and

after I quotes articles stating a chemo like treatment

and now after all of this we get this

Froome’s first big professional win came in last year’s Vuelta when he won stage seventeen. He says the reason for his late blossoming could be due to a disease called billharzia.

“It's a worm parasite that eats your red blood cells. Forty percent of the Kenyan population is infected by it. You receive it through contact with contaminated water," said Froome.

“I was at my brother's wedding in Kenya in late 2010 when the International Cycling Union (UCI) checked my blood passport. I immediately asked for all parameters when they discovered that I suffered from the disease. That was the reason why I sometimes was abnormally tired and was just average with Team Barloworld and my first year at Sky. These tiny worms affect your whole organism.

“I've been receiving treatment for two years now. For the first half of the year I take heavy medication to suppress the disease, but when you are diagnosed with bilharzia you never lose it,” he said.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13219/Froome-reiterates-Tour-de-France-ambitions.aspx#ixzz2BLeqMShQ

WTF

6 months - 6-7 days - Chemo  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 12:10 »
    Thank you Froome19, I needed some optimism in this place instead of the same old cynical sh*t.

The same old cynical sh!t comes from watching riders racing doped on teams run by ex doping DS who employ doping Doctors while giving brown bags to the federation doing the anti-doping and using licence money to sue whistle blowers.

Maybe Michelle could explain what riders could do to convince cycling fans that the rider's performances are clean?
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 17:56 »
    well flip me sideways

after Michelle ie Mrs Dog comes on here to say

and

after I quotes articles stating a chemo like treatment

and now after all of this we get this

WTF

6 months - 6-7 days - Chemo  :fp
    Well most likely  they are talking about different things, I don't have a clue about this stuff but maybe he is reffering to the praziquantel or whatever that is..

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 00:33 »
    I am ok with the idea that its not actually that hard ... that the meds are a short course taken a couple of times during the first half of the year.

But when Froome himself talks about it like that - it does make it sound much harsher.   

And even if the meds are not that bad ... to get through them, start from scratch training again and get back to peak in order to contend not 1 but 2 endurance bike races in a row ...

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Chris Froome
    « Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 00:57 »
    Hi froomey, thanks for the background on Froome, very informative :-) I enjoyed that.
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 19:33 »
    Thanks K..

Cound in a piece for Procycling said that:

After being tested for Bilharzia in March they found it was still positive. He then started the medication in April, which took him off the bike for another week. This was obviously critical training time ahead of the Tour. At that point Chris had serious doubts as to whether he'd be ready to even ride

Seems to be saying the same thing she has said on here.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Chris Froome
    « Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 19:53 »
    Yeah, I reckon she knows what she's talking about? I think it's quite cool that she popped in to VR to give feedback in the 1st place, even if she was a bit p-d off :-) Plus, she cares about her dude - I was with a cyclist for 3 years - you get emotional about your guy :-D Anyway, more info for us at the end of the day, which is the whole point of forumming, riiiiiight??
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.