collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11460
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Chris Froome
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:54 »
well flip me sideways

after Michelle ie Mrs Dog comes on here to say

I don't know where you got that rubbish about bilharzia treatment being comparable to chemo?!?
I was with Chris when he took the 7-day (NOT 6 week) course of medication (immediately following Criterium International) & while there was some mild nausea & fatigue it certainly wasn't anything like a chemo treatment.  He obviously wasn't able to ride while taking the medication.
And yes, he definitely has been struggling with bilharzia... he is due for another test to see if it's cleared his system.

Really... get your facts straight before making accusations like that... pathetic.

and

I'll repeat what I said before... it is NOT like chemo. 
If you're that interested, the medication is a strong anti-parisitic called Prazitel.
He took it at the end of March after Criterium International, he had also taken two courses of praziquantel in the past but the parasites kept coming back.  He was diagnosed back in 2010 if I remember correctly.  It's difficult to say when it was contracted.
It's fairly common for kids to pick it up in Africa playing in dams & rivers and usually goes undetected for years.
Growing up in South Africa myself, we were taught about it in primary school & told to avoid certain areas. 
It's really not that strange or uncommon. 

after I quotes articles stating a chemo like treatment

and now after all of this we get this

Froome’s first big professional win came in last year’s Vuelta when he won stage seventeen. He says the reason for his late blossoming could be due to a disease called billharzia.

“It's a worm parasite that eats your red blood cells. Forty percent of the Kenyan population is infected by it. You receive it through contact with contaminated water," said Froome.

“I was at my brother's wedding in Kenya in late 2010 when the International Cycling Union (UCI) checked my blood passport. I immediately asked for all parameters when they discovered that I suffered from the disease. That was the reason why I sometimes was abnormally tired and was just average with Team Barloworld and my first year at Sky. These tiny worms affect your whole organism.

“I've been receiving treatment for two years now. For the first half of the year I take heavy medication to suppress the disease, but when you are diagnosed with bilharzia you never lose it,” he said.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13219/Froome-reiterates-Tour-de-France-ambitions.aspx#ixzz2BLeqMShQ

WTF

6 months - 6-7 days - Chemo  :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.