collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10801
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Belkin Pro Cycling
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2013, 13:15 »
3 years well 2.5 will remain Dutch in identity
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #121 on: June 24, 2013, 13:20 »
    I know most kits are now three panels of differing colour thanks to the original Leopard one, but this is pretty nice.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #122 on: June 24, 2013, 14:40 »
    The new jersey - it looks alright.
    It would look way better if it wasn't a carbon copy of another jersey:

Crelan-Euphony                   Belkin
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #123 on: June 24, 2013, 16:17 »
    #belkin < nearly.. just doing it now
    #crelan < hmmmm
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #124 on: June 24, 2013, 16:28 »
    Certainly nowhere near the worst I have seen I have to say.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #125 on: June 24, 2013, 20:20 »
    http://www.belkin.com/uk/c/WSPCT

Maybe I'll get a phone case, but no Galaxy SII  :ohno:
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #126 on: June 24, 2013, 20:59 »
    LOL! I see what they're doing, they give us a fake crappy jersey to lower our expectations, then at the Tour they reveal their good jersey that they will ride in. That's what their doing...right? God, please tell me that is what their doing....

Seriously though, one of the worst jersey's I have ever seen.  :disapointed
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #127 on: June 25, 2013, 09:59 »
    haha... its divisive then :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #128 on: June 25, 2013, 13:31 »
    It is very.. un-dutch  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #129 on: June 25, 2013, 14:03 »
    It's just not spectacular in any way- not spectacularly bad or good, just a boring and predictable jersey in a vein we see many of in the peloton today. It is very clean though, with (by the looks of it) no names on it other than Belkin, Giant, and the UCI logo. That in combination with its colour scheme may make it a popular buy for recreational bike riders.

Could have been much better, but they did only have 2 weeks... Perhaps they'll give us a great jersey next year, when they have some actual time to prepare it. Until then I guess it'll do, at least it's a lot better than the Blanco jersey.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 789
    « Reply #130 on: June 25, 2013, 16:42 »
    It will be interesting to see what happens to the way the Dutch watch cycling now a distinctly Dutch team is folding its orange banner.  It's a new world.

Rabo managed to retain a 'total' Dutch identity even with a constant foreign legion in the squad (on the whole Spanish and Menchov, with the odd American). They were an intrinsic part of its backbone and success story, and were also, somehow, treated as if they were Dutch, the moment they joined the squad. Sometimes even after they left (Freire and Flecha). It was indicative of how stroong team-support was, and how natural it came to the Flatlanders. The swing to 'even more native orange' was only a very recent one.

Now, without an obvious orange team to root for, and Vacansoleil stepping away as as sponsor too, I could see cycling losing quite a bit of its natural support and public broadcast foot if Team Belkin can't retain a strong Dutch (leader) whiff. I don't think it wants to, nor do I argue it should. That the orange is completely gone is not by accident.

I'm just curious to see what will happen.

In this New Rabo-less World, there is no new Dutch star team to emerge any team soon, as far as I can see. We simply haven't got the riders to cluster, and there, evidently, is not a cash-rich national sponsor willing to take the plunge at this point in time. Hence Belkin.

Orange Rabo could easily retain national interest even with mostly good 2nd tier results, but it might have been too long without real Dutch success stories, and the national dress code, for a team-less nation to retain the sort of interest that so far has come natural to the Low Lands. With Sporza as the preferred broadcaster for many, rather than the NOS, it might have a bigger impact than you'd expect.

We are slowly losing the (fairly) national squads bit by bit, and I am not convinced that in the old heartland, this is helping cycling. In those parts, cycling reached people who you would never expect to tune in for 3 hours of not much happening really.

Gesink on Garmin would be experienced very differently, and I doubt if the Dutch would even be talking about him the way they have now. Pro Cycling might have just become a much harder sell, over in Dutchland.

I presume this means that the Rabo development programme is also gone. That would arguably be a bigger loss to cycling, and certainly to Dutch development opportunities, than losing half of the orange jerseys in the bunch.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #131 on: June 25, 2013, 17:11 »

I presume this means that the Rabo development programme is also gone. That would arguably be a bigger loss to cycling, and certainly to Dutch development opportunities, than losing half of the orange jerseys in the bunch.

The development program and team will continue under the Dutch cycling union KNWU. Rabobank will even continue to support it, if I remember correctly. There will be some questions about its budget probably, not sure they'll be able to continue on the scale they have now, but it seems they will not fold.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #132 on: June 28, 2013, 12:46 »
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tour-de-france-2013/21687230/__Angst_voor_gat_in_begroting_Belkin__.html

Giant may opt out of its contract with Belkin and switch to supporting Argos. The Belkin team's future is still in doubt since it is unsure how much Belkin will invest in the team and how much Rabobank will continue to pay. Giant may prefer the stability of Argos. This would be a disaster for Belkin, since Giant brings not only the bikes but also some 3 million euro per year. Would be great news for Argos though.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 550
    « Reply #133 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15 »
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tour-de-france-2013/21687230/__Angst_voor_gat_in_begroting_Belkin__.html

Giant may opt out of its contract with Belkin and switch to supporting Argos. The Belkin team's future is still in doubt since it is unsure how much Belkin will invest in the team and how much Rabobank will continue to pay. Giant may prefer the stability of Argos. This would be a disaster for Belkin, since Giant brings not only the bikes but also some 3 million euro per year. Would be great news for Argos though.

any news on Giant-Argos deal?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #134 on: July 23, 2013, 12:10 »
    any news on Giant-Argos deal?

I haven't heard anything in the media. Apparently the deadline for Giant to get out of the contract was July 1st, and since we haven't heard anything I'm assuming Giant stays with Belkin.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    « Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 17:03 »
    I haven't heard anything in the media. Apparently the deadline for Giant to get out of the contract was July 1st, and since we haven't heard anything I'm assuming Giant stays with Belkin.

team-argos-giant domain has been registered

https://twitter.com/CyclingiQ/statuses/351598482907340800

http://wschange.com/new/2013/06/19/teamargosgiant.com
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #136 on: August 03, 2013, 14:40 »
    In the Volkskrant (read in paper version, not sure there's an online one) Gesink confirmed he will target Tour GC again next year. He found this year a useful experience, but says nothing motivates him than riding the Tour for himself.

Hopefully that means Mollema will ride the Giro-Vuelta double, since he has a realistic chance of reaching the podium of either one, and if he's lucky with some others crashing out or not showing up he could even win.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    « Reply #137 on: August 10, 2013, 08:32 »
    team Belkin will ride BIANCHI bikes from 2014  :wut

(giant goes to Argos)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #138 on: August 10, 2013, 09:34 »
    team Belkin will ride BIANCHI bikes from 2014  :wut
    Fits with that light green colour, hopefully it'll become true celeste for next year.
    But that also means #vacansoleil will be no more ... :(
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1978
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #139 on: August 10, 2013, 14:19 »
    Fits with that light green colour, hopefully it'll become true celeste for next year.
    But that also means #vacansoleil will be no more ... :(

That green is part of Belkin's corporate identity: they won't simply drop it.  Not an easy blend with Bianchi's corporate tone.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #140 on: August 10, 2013, 14:28 »
    That green is part of Belkin's corporate identity: they won't simply drop it.  Not an easy blend with Bianchi's corporate tone.
    Yeah, I'm afraid so.

Maybe they could make the lower part of the jersey (that is now black) celeste? Obviously with black shorts.
    That way, you'd have both the Belkin green and a jersey reminiscent of the old #bianchi.
    They'll probably mess it up though. :S
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 16:21 »
    Without advertising another site there is a decent Belkin/Celeste mock up on BR's forum.
  • ReplyReply

• August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 16:41 »
    Can't see them dropping the green for celeste like is in that mock up though, the green is the color of their title sponsor after all. If they use any celeste it will be in combination with the green.

Is Bianchi going to be one of the title sponsors? like Trek was with Radioshack, or Cannondale was with Liquigas? Or are they just providing the bike?
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #143 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10 »
    Just the bikes I think... so it may just be a collars and cuffs type of thing.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #144 on: August 19, 2013, 14:19 »
    In other news... you can be part of the team...

www.teambelkinfans.com

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #145 on: September 03, 2013, 14:59 »

Reno ‏@renovandael 5m
    NOS were embedded at the Tour. Docu on TV onm Saturday. Here's a preview
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #146 on: October 29, 2013, 14:23 »

Dutch with English subtitles. Nos Doco 're Belkin tdf 2013

Full version
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1641
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #147 on: October 29, 2013, 18:21 »
     Meanwhile, the old sponsor's recently discovered moral compass seems to have gone on the blink.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24730242
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #148 on: October 29, 2013, 18:42 »
    {snigger}

They weren't the only ones doing it, they were merely doing it to keep up with the Barclays and RBS.....

Anyway, six years, resignations and sackings till 2011, and only restructuring their Euribor & Libor compliance policy in '12, to whatever extent. 5 down, a dozen more to go.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #149 on: October 29, 2013, 18:59 »
    I'm glad the team now known as Belkin got rid of Rabobank as a sponsor. The last sponsor you'd want as a team is an unreliable bank that is constantly involved in scandals. The team put up with a lot during the years and continued to honour agreements with the bank, but this latest report just shows again how much there is wrong in the banking world. Good thing at least this will not further affect the sport of cycling, or the Belkin team.

:P
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:37]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:32]

Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic by hiero
    [August 19, 2017, 17:18]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by t-72
    [August 19, 2017, 14:00]