collapse

killswitch

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1013
Re: Rabo GONE
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 10:05 »
and it is a said day in a more lighter sense

no longer will the rabobus forming   :'(
Shocking by Rabo to quit just one day before the biggest target of their season - the Japan Cup.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1077
    « Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 10:05 »
    ...However cycling does get a lot of attention over here, so that the team will just be left to expire after next season  is unthinkable, putting in a few million euros is a pretty good deal for all the attention the likes of Gesink or Mollema will get. Maybe they'll be able to continue with half the budget from a couple of sources, if they're lucky.
    Wiggins is looking for more help in the mountains...
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07 »
    Anyway, future for the team: First of all, no way the team leaders will find a similar sized sponsor (€13m p/a) for 2014 and beyond. Rabobank is one of the largest companies in the Netherlands already, and corporate marketing budgets aren't exactly flush at the moment given the economy. However cycling does get a lot of attention over here, so that the team will just be left to expire after next season  is unthinkable, putting in a few million euros is a pretty good deal for all the attention the likes of Gesink or Mollema will get. Maybe they'll be able to continue with half the budget from a couple of sources, if they're lucky.

The 13 million budget is for the Continental, cx, women's and men's teams combined right? Since the continental and cx are brought under elsewhere and it's likely a seperate solution will be found for the women's team, a new sponsor will require than the 13 million.

Still, you are right that the team will need to downsize after next year, if they can find new sponsors. Giant might step up to co-title-sponsor, but some others will have to be brought in as well. The team will either quit or continue on a far smaller scale. The team as we know it will not survive, that's for sure.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 10:13 »
    Tragic. Rabo are one of a tiny number of teams who have been part of the sport for the entire time I've followed it, and I will miss their wacky orange and blue ways.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10760
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 10:40 »
    Rbobank really put the pressure on Fat and Hein and the rest of the UCI

they do not believe the UCI leadership has the ability to change the sport -

with this white team maybe and just maybe they might return if the UCI cleans house or is that asking too much ?
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 11:25 »
    Fat thanks Rabobank

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1018/Wielrennen/article/detail/3334213/2012/10/19/McQuaid-Rabobank-veel-dank-verschuldigd.dhtml

misses the bit about a lot of it being his and the UCIs fault
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35 »
    bit of middle ground here - but if want to get into a doping discussion - a thread in the dark side

quotes from people ie riders ok in here

all GT´s

Lars Boom responded Friday played on the dropping of sponsor Rabobank. "This is really a shame," said the rider. "It's that time a reliable good sponsor. It's really unfortunate that they leave us. " According Tree is the young generation the brunt of the behavior of the old generation. "Rabobank also know that we are really doing well. But of course you have the position of the bank understand. But we are still the victim of something that we have nothing to do with it. " Boom goes there from him next season in the team can continue cycling. "We have ongoing contracts and which are simply paid. We can not sponsor drive temporarily. Everything is well on track for next year. I hope we can show as a new sponsor and warm can make. "

Sports Director Marc Wauters Lotto-Belisol, who long for the Rabobank team rider rode: "That the Rabobank team stops, is a disaster. The news caught me totally. The whole story of Lance Armstrong's cycling will certainly do no virtue. I wear as a rider 9 years with Rabobank. I experienced a more than great time, especially in 2001 when I was in the yellow shirt leader of the Tour in the own Lummen could drive around. That precisely this sponsor quits, is a disaster. The domino effect of the case-Armstrong I'll call it. "

Former Rabobank rider Thomas Dekker : 'Violently awakening. Rabobank stops. I think they were smashed right track, but the snowball effect of the last days was too much. Too bad for all those young riders who are victims of the past. "

Rabobank wants Marianne Vos continue to support it. The world champion and Olympic champion in the way the bank has learned. "Of course I'm happy with that, but I still have to wait and see how it will run," said Fox at BNR. Vos, who was the figurehead of the women's team, is particularly excited by stopping the bank as a lender. "This is a very big blow to cycling. But Rabobank has always indicated that they would withdraw in doping. So that was concerned, it does not come as a surprise. It is still important for a bank to be reliable. " the rider regret is that everyone must suffer the behavior of riders in the years. "This happens precisely at a time when the sport is a lot cleaner. That is unfortunate. But it is important that now everything above table. '

paul Martens via Twitter: "Sad news, I can not blame a sponsor that he leaves this sport ... but it does not feel fair ... I believe in our group, hope we get the chance to fight. "

Robert Gesink argues that his generation should pay the bill for the use of doping by his former colleagues. "We were the last years just another path. I think I'm the first man of the new generation. It is very sour that we now have to pay the bill for what happened in the past has happened and all that we are doing now were delayed. I'm sick of it really, because we were really in a good and decent way busy, "said the leader of the Rabobank team. Gesink realizes that the team in a very difficult position Sat "It is naive to think that the Rabobank report on Lance Armstrong would find attractive. So you keep in mind. It is 17 years a very beautiful project. It is really unfortunate that in this way comes to an end. They are worthless times. It is unclear where it should go. I hope there is a good solution. "

Kenny van Hummel , rider from Vacansoleil: 'Hypocritical and shame for cycling that Rabobank now get out. Unfortunately for talent to lose from being. Wondering what Rabobank really knew what happened at that time. "
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41 »
    Full in English response from the UCI

UCI statement on Rabobank decision

The UCI acknowledges the decision of Rabobank to withdraw from cycling after 17 years of involvement with the sport as principal sponsor of one of the best known teams of the peloton.
    In light of the difficult period, namely the high public interest in past doping issues and perhaps a more recent action taken by the UCI against a rider of the team, the UCI understands the context which has led to this decision being reached.

Despite inevitable and sometimes painful consequences, the UCI reaffirms its commitment to the fight against doping and full transparency about potential anti-doping rule violations.
    The UCI wishes to express its gratitude to Rabobank for its important investment and support of women’s and men’s cycling, over almost two decades, as well as its decision to continue its support of the Cyclo-cross team, amateur cycling and youth training, which is important for the future of our sport.

UCI President Pat McQuaid said “Cycling is grateful for the many years of successful partnership with Rabobank, which have been beneficial for all. Its involvement has changed the lives of numerous athletes who in turn have undoubtedly contributed to make Rabobank one of the most recognized brands in sport worldwide.”

UCI Communications Service

Well flip me to the bolded bit
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44 »
    Marcel Kittel ‏@marcelkittel
    Rabobank stopped. Disappointing! But think about T-Mobile: They stopped as well, developed into Highroad and became THE team! It's a chance!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 12:45 »
    and with the the Giantbus is formed maybe ................

Bicycle manufacturer and current bike sponsor for Rabobank, Giant, willing to take over sponsorship, Tom Davies (Giant) says.
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 13:18 »
    Like JSG says, Giant is thinking about expaning their sponsoring, and according to Dutch papers, a 'multi-national' is considering taking over as named sponsor (http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/11664/Rabobank-stopt-sponsoring/article/detail/3334302/2012/10/19/Giant-en-multinational-willen-wielerploeg-overnemen.dhtml)...

Who could it be? Of course a multi-national could be anyone, but given the large Dutch presence in the team one would have to think a company with a Dutch base of operations, or else a very large footprint in 0031. Philips or ING, maybe? Those are the only Dutch multi-nationals I can think of for whom it would seem to make sense to spend €10m on a cycling team.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3242
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 13:37 »
    Philips and ING are good shouts. Both already have good sporting connections; Philips with the football team, and ING with several US marathons and the Dutch football association. ING would keep the orange too!

Just for humour's sake, I'd like to see TomTom step in. Then we'd have the battle of the SatNavs!!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 13:37 »
    Like JSG says, Giant is thinking about expaning their sponsoring, and according to Dutch papers, a 'multi-national' is considering taking over as named sponsor (http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/11664/Rabobank-stopt-sponsoring/article/detail/3334302/2012/10/19/Giant-en-multinational-willen-wielerploeg-overnemen.dhtml)...

Who could it be? Of course a multi-national could be anyone, but given the large Dutch presence in the team one would have to think a company with a Dutch base of operations, or else a very large footprint in 0031. Philips or ING, maybe? Those are the only Dutch multi-nationals I can think of for whom it would seem to make sense to spend €10m on a cycling team.

TomTom to challenge Garmin for the cycling market? :P Or Heineken, a nice green team to replace Liquigas would be cool. Philips would be the most likely, if it's Dutch. Not sure ING would want to step into cycling at this time. I can't think of any other potential candidates really.. But if there's this kind of interest already, it is looking like the team will survive, luckily.

I just hope any new sponsor will take the women's team as well and not just the men.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 13:42 »
    To be Honest Team Vos has more market value than the mens team imho  :D

So it might be the other way around

Rabo keep team Vos at least until 2016 - they never said how they would do it, but my reading between the lines it is the expensive, under performing mens team that is the issue for Rabobank

Heineken would be cool, but agree Philips most likely
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 13:47 »
    True, any Dutch sponsor would love to sign Vos. I wonder what kind of arrangement Rabo will work out with her; I don't think they can continue to sponsor the women's team since it's being brought under the new licence holder as well, would be awkward. But Vos at least has nothign to worry about, and has probably enough leverage to get a deal for some of her teammates as well.

Team Philips - Giant. Will take some getting used to. Team Heineken would be amazing though, I'd love for that to happen.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 13:52 »
    ING even have an orange logo.
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 13:58 »
    Heineken.... Hmmm... Cycling isn't the most natural sport to sponsor as a beer company, but they have been actively seeking new ways to advertise as of late. Sponsoring a cycling team is also pretty good way of reaching the whole of Europe. Still think it's unlikely to be them though.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 785
    « Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 14:11 »
    Rabosponsor thrown under the Rabobus....

I actually think this is a reasonably good thing, despite all its very obvious drawback for all the people involved. They restated that they *still* have no confidence in the cycling world cleaning up its own act. An 18 year sponsor stating that raises yet more burning questions for our fat overlords...

But boy did they miss an opportunity that would have made them the cycling saints for years to come.

Picture this: Rabobank SPONSOR, whose commitment to the sport is impeccible, gives an ultimatum to its team and the cycling pro-sport:

clean up your act now or else...

- the team has already been purging rotten apples over the last months, and could have simply dotted the last i-s. Write off the past as a bad Raboteam leaf, and know that Rabo, as a sponsor, will stand with it as long as it remains clean. Talk about incentive.
    - the *sponsor* calls a spade a spade, and files ALL the awkward questions with the UCI, etc... publicly. Simply demands that the UCI gets cleaned up too, that Pat & Co resign, and that testing is no longer entrusted to them, etc.
    - propose a vocal critic of the current lot [ Kimmage ] as the new head of the UCI
    - set a public deadline for the key decisions

- see who else wants to jump on this Rabobus....

If the sponsor would have stayed in as a result, they would have gotten their way. They would be seen as a force for good, domestically and abroad. It would have bought them a global brand, and publicity when this is a hot topic globally, that "money simply can't buy".

If they would have left because of missed deadlines, they would still have had their PR coup, and put clearer water between them and the world of cycling.

I think they missed a trick here, which is a shame, as it felt that Rabo was transforming finally into something that the sponsor had insisted upon (and expected to have put its name behind) for years.

Once again, the way Rabobank the sponsor bows out, with support to commitments it made, races them. Fat Pat can yap all he wants about drawing in big-cheque sponsors, Rabobanks long-standing support, through many hard times too, also reached deep into the fabric of our cycling's future, and so it's departure is a loss far greater than what any these newcomers have done for cycling so far.

I do hope for the riders that want to ride for a cleaner sport, the ditto staff, etc, that they can find a new name to pick up the pieces soon. But Rabo won't find a replacement for Rabo.

After what they have given, I expect they will prove themselves to be irreplacable. As long as cycling doesn't get serious about cleaning up its act.

But at least the Dutch riders will know it's serious now. Rabo left. The world has changed.

And their job is (finally) really at stake. Stop cashing the fatter cheques and think. Start making the fuss that you should have made years ago. Yup, cycling will get tougher and harder for a while. Three weeks without a programme is harder. A full calender year even more so.But those cheques are going. The nice ride of the last decade has come to a halt. Money is leaving. Get it?

Only you (younger) guys can secure your own future here. Make demands and point fingers at those that are ruining your future. They have cashed long their cheques. Don't be loyal or intimidated by that lot. They are finally standing on the plank. Don't give them a chance to weather this storm and leave it on the ship's side.

Strike. But this time, for the right reasons. Not to be tested less and be left alone more, as it is all so unfair. Do it to turf out the rotten core. The little guys will never again get a chance as good as this one.

And if you don't, your sport won't recover from this the way we all got out of the Festina affair.

The tour 2013 will be looked at very differently already. The game really has changed. No shining lights left. It's all tainted. Something needs to really change. It isn't about Lance at all. Get it?

The Rabo sponsor missed a trick by not putting its credibility vs that of Pat & Co. Young riders have a natural credibility that old riders have all lost, rightly or wrongly. Use it.

Time to become very vocal.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 14:56 »
    Interesting statement from the Belgian Lottery

http://www.lottobelisol.be/nl/statement-nationale-loterij-717.htm

Translated

The National Lottery takes note of the decision by Rabobank, as they have long been active as a cycling sponsor, in order to step out of the professional cycling.  The National Lottery understands this decision but opts for a different approach, in particular the move towards a pure cycling.  The many cycling fans are entitled to a sport where everyone competes on an equal footing and therefore equal chances of success (as is the case with the lottery games they offer).

As in the whole of its operation, uses the National Lottery in its cycling sponsorship to the highest ethical standards and puts them since taking office in the international peloton, in 1985, a zero tolerance policy on doping on to its sponsored teams.  From small to large.

The Belgian Cycling Project of the National Lottery is indeed not only a major marketing tool (with a return on investment that is at least 4 times as large as the investment) but also consistent with its mission to create opportunities for everyone.  Hence its cycling pyramid which (besides supporting various youth and promise teams, race organizers and volunteers of all kinds) talent identification and counseling center.  And whose Lotto Belisol World Tour team the apex and will continue to form.  Because without top is a pyramid pyramid no more ...
     Cycling is one of the most popular sports in Belgium and the National Lottery will help determine its future continue.  Not by a blind eye to what happened in the past is lost in the peloton, but its activities on a sound basis to continue ..

Young starters, talents and champions of tomorrow, are entitled to a fair chance in an ethical environment their talent to develop to.  Sponsors who believe in the future of cycling should not continue to look back on yesterday but today, with the experience of the past, look to tomorrow and help build the future of cycling.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 14:59 »
    Yet it seems like to their minds that they do not want to have anything to associate themselves with a sport which they believe will only decline due to the Lance investigations.

Disassociating themselves with the Rabo of old will not work because that team will always be called Rabo and even if they do express their dislike at what went on, it only goes so far to be seen as a very convenient statement akin to Sky's etc.

And that is what is so worrying, if sponsors now become disenchanted with the sport due to the fact that they believe that it is not worth the risk to invest in a sport which seems to be going backwards and dealing with its past rather than progressing than they will not invest and the sport will be left to rue its decisions.

And of course all this done under the leadership of the UCI who seem to be content to observe and pray they do not get found out or at the very least if they do that they drag down the whole of cycling along with them.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 15:03 »
    Just realised, Philips are not in the best financial position right now. Last year they downsized quite a bit, and this year too their numbers haven't been great iirc. So not sure they could sell sponsoring a cycling team to their employees. Perhaps not so likely to be them.. And ING, yes, that could be, but after all the state-support, can they do something like sponsoring a team? In short, no idea who this new sponsor could be, if it even comes through.

Good to see Lotto stays with the team. But then again, in Belgium cycling as a sport is never ever threatened, no matter how bad the doping gets.

Edit- Apparently Skoda (Rabo's car sponsor) also stop sponsoring. However, that decision was made months ago in August, so has nothing to do with this.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 15:20 by Slow Rider »

Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    « Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 15:36 »
    Yet it seems like to their minds that they do not want to have anything to associate themselves with a sport which they believe will only decline due to the Lance investigations.

Rabobank is a sponsor for cycling in the Netherlands. It goes far beyond the sport. Rabobank is cycling. Having the Raboteam on the road was the glue that held together the most envied associative sponsorship coup one of the high-tiers brands has ever pulled off.

People in the NL are well capable of separating the sponsor from the team. If it took a very public stand, people would not get confused. Rather the opposite, unwavering loyalty and commitments through hard times is valued back there as a good thing. For a bank: "we stand by you" matters. They had an opportunity here to project that message globally, and also highlight their "deep investment", plus project the Rabo name as one that took the strong stand against the muck, even more so if it cleaned up its own sponsored house in the process.

Get out now, and if they remember you, arguably, people will only remember you for the bad times. Stay involved and change the narrative. I bet if there was a groundswell of changes from within the sport, Rabo would have stayed on as the national face for cycling. They have lost more than they will be able to regain by adjusting their sponsorship course.

In one or two years people would remember that shiny knight stand more than any of the historic muck that is history already. Breukink and Menchov. Who cares. There will be so many names and teams named over the coming time, Rabobank won't stand out. Trek won't stand out. Riders will stand out. Can you name what team Merckx was on?

This isn't the Rabo-affair. Festina had a a trickier problem. T-Mobole to some extent too. Rabo has been with cycling a long time, but Rabobank has never really associated itself with a rider in particular. Always the sponsorship of the team. Dutch people don't think of Rabobanks as the Rabobank team. They weren't the team. Not like Philips is PSV. Which helps them too.

Cycling is so engrained in our national culture, and Rabo is involved on so many levels, for so long, that there are rules applying here that don't apply to Sky, etc.

And for the international markets where the bank has a presence too, Rabo's involvement with cycling was/is mostly with rider names that people don't know or don't care about. Any fall-out that comes from that would be covered by all the good-will that would come from taking the sport of ours by the scruff of the neck and pulling it to clearer waters.

It doesn't look like the bank was complicit in what went on at Rabo the team. The (old) team is showing how engrained the culture was, how complicit and hands off and condoning the sport was (in various mixtures), and what idiots you must be if you have a sponsor as committed and forgiving like Rabo and flip it up. It highlights the expectation that 'we will get way with it even if something crops up' is so engrained even by people who supposedly are trying to get it from a to b in a controlled 'good' way, that slash and burn looks like a healthy option right now. 

And cycling lost one of its best and most committed sponsors, one who would have loved to be associated with the place that the sport keeps claiming it wants to be. Bloody idiots....

Disassociating themselves with the Rabo of old will not work because that team will always be called Rabo and even if they do express their dislike at what went on, it only goes so far to be seen as a very convenient statement akin to Sky's etc.
    If Sky the sponsor made a comment, I can't comment, didn't see it.

And that is what is so worrying, if sponsors now become disenchanted with the sport due to the fact that they believe that it is not worth the risk to invest in a sport which seems to be going backwards and dealing with its past rather than progressing than they will not invest and the sport will be left to rue its decisions.
    Well, that was so inevitable that it made the whole Pat-Show even more frustrating to watch. I am amazed they kept it under (mass-public) wraps for so long, but if this came as a surprise to those still involved with the sport (and employed by it at that top-level)... how thick can you be? It's been a long two decades.

Up until now, "the sport" isn't dealing with it. Riders are stumm, the UCI is trying business as usual (again - worked well for them in the past).

It is either incompetent or complicit. Arguably both. Either way, as stewards over this train-wreck, it should be turfed out or shaken up so strongly it is no longer recognisable. Anyone in the current sport-structure hoping to make a living out of it and who isn't demanding that: blind idiots.

Rabo stepped out, not because of the past, but because of the way cycling is currently st5ill stumbling along towards its own future, with the UCI as the herder in chief. Sheep and idiots. The lot of them.

If this was my company, and my future depended on it, I'd only be writing very long public letters so I would have plenty of paper to burn the lot down, if no-one was willing or able to grab a match before me.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 15:52 by Francois the Postman »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 15:48 »
    Still say this has more to do with Nov 15 than USADA report, The door was popped open by Levi watch chicken run through with a massive smile on his face swinging a plasma bag and say flip you.

I know I know my own post but your all in here  :'(
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    « Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 16:07 »
    Still say this has more to do with Nov 15 than USADA report, The door was popped open by Levi watch chicken run through with a massive smile on his face swinging a plasma bag and say flip you.

I know I know my own post but your all in here  :'(

They knew that was coming anyway. It would actually a great opportunity for the Bank to take control of the narrative, and present itself as the shiny white knight that demands a Team and Sport shake-up, drawing a clear red line between the past and the future.

The bank isn't the team. The price of the 15th will still come. The people that would associate it with the Bank still will, maybe even more so.

But now the Bank has given up its chance to change the narrative and use the inevitable publicity to try to force through the changes that would have enabled it to retain its much envied associative sponsoring of cycling (overall) in the NL, which was only effective because it had the base and the top, and quite possibly have grabbed some great sounding 'bank-narratives' headlines on a global scale to boot, when it could have written headlines the way it wanted to be heard, if it played it clever.

I think they observed that all this was still not triggering demands for structural changes from within. Which must be mind-boggling to anyone who knows anything about investing in your own future. I think it knows as much as we do what is needed to stop this boomerang from hitting us over and over... the 15th is just a date that will come anyway. It is being hit over and over and over..... and no-one saying "enough is enough, these idiots who keep us in harms way gonna have to go".

After this cluster-flipup, no-one can afford a repeat any time soon, and no-one wants to be associated with it. And the multitude of people who got us here are not budging. That scares the sh*t out of Rabo. Not the 15th. That is only 'their' problem from a safe enough distance. The rest no longer is.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 16:19 »
    Graham Watsons response

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 16:30 »
    Superb Reply from Lemond :D
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 364
    « Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 17:08 »
    Graham Watsons response

While I would never call these riders lazy, I do think that this will aid in the development of many riders, since there will be more consequences to failing to live up to their expectations, which might change their state of mind. I think that the guarantees that many riders had at Rabo will no longer be there, which might well be a good thing
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 17:11 »
     :'(
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    « Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 17:40 »
    While I would never call these riders lazy, I do think that this will aid in the development of many riders, since there will be more consequences to failing to live up to their expectations, which might change their state of mind. I think that the guarantees that many riders had at Rabo will no longer be there, which might well be a good thing

I kinda agree with that, but I would have preferred it if that would have happened by changing the internal management culture.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 364
    « Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 18:07 »
    I kinda agree with that, but I would have preferred it if that would have happened by changing the internal management culture.
    True enough, but still there is a good chance that the team remains in place, although probably changed significantly
  • ReplyReply

•