collapse

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 21
Re: Rabo GONE
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 19:15 »
I wonder what broke the camels back, Floyd, ratting/Boogard, reports of systematic doping, doping doctors, Rasmuusson, Bruyneel, Menchov, USADA, Leipheimer admontition,Armstrong, so much weight for a sponsor, really sad, it was a great team.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 766
    « Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 19:31 »
    Can't see Philips step in. Even ignoring the PDM scars, it didn't even step in when PSV was on the verge of bankruptcy, it was the city that bailed 'their' football team out. That tells you all you need to know about the additional sport sponsorship funds Philips wants to allocate, by choice.

Giant says its speaking to a multinational though.

Has cash-rich Unilever not got a brand that can deliver feel-good winter hats to the nation, and not just on those occasions that the Frisians start testing the strength of the ice around Sneek?
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 21:28 »
    While Rabobank claim its as a result of the USADA information, I wonder if its as much as a result of "rabobank teams response to the USADA information". The that was then, this is now, we are clean nowadays approach maybe what wasnt what the sponsor wanted to hear.

I doubt a firm "we are conducting an in house investigation and any staff or riders involved in doping will be out" from the team would have saved them, but would be interesting nonetheless.

By the sounds of it they will be ok. Its interesting that they have the funding for 2013. I wonder if Rabobank have agreed to pay next years funding or part of it, while removing their name from the project.
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 22:08 »
    Can't see Philips step in. Even ignoring the PDM scars, it didn't even step in when PSV was on the verge of bankruptcy, it was the city that bailed 'their' football team out. That tells you all you need to know about the additional sport sponsorship funds Philips wants to allocate, by choice.

Giant says its speaking to a multinational though.

Has cash-rich Unilever not got a brand that can deliver feel-good winter hats to the nation, and not just on those occasions that the Frisians start testing the strength of the ice around Sneek?

I considered Unilever, but really, the way they organise their branding I cannot see them doing anything in the region of cycling. It's not enough of a mass market. Plus, for some reason, foodstuffs never really seem to get in on the sponsoring business. I mean how many current teams have food related sponsors? Saur-Sojasun (the Sojasun part), Jelly Belly, Chipotle? That's about it. And Team Dove or Team Axe are just too weird to even consider.

On the other hand, I do happen to know the CEO of Unilever personally (friend of the family) so who knows, maybe I can get the inside track there.

And I didn't say it would be Philips or ING, btw. I was just mentioning the only two Dutch multi-nationals who in my estimation would probably even consider doing it. If it's a 'foreign' multi-national it really could be anyone.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes, A Tract on Monetary Reform

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #64 on: October 20, 2012, 00:46 »
    Rbobank really put the pressure on Fat and Hein and the rest of the UCI

they do not believe the UCI leadership has the ability to change the sport -

with this white team maybe and just maybe they might return if the UCI cleans house or is that asking too much ?

This pretty much sums up my thoughts...
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    « Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 15:31 »
    David Millar wrote a very interesting open letter to the Rabobank which was publish in one of our bigger national newspapers today. It's in Dutch, obviously, but I'll do a little translating:

Title: Dear Rabobank, you're destroying countless dreams

I'd like to take the opportunity to explain my Twitter message from yesterday, when I'd heard you were ceasing your sponsorship ("Dear Rabobank, you were part of the problem. How dare you walk away from your young clean guys who are part of the solution. Sickening.")

First I'd like to tell you what Rabobank means for me as a Brit. Rabobank represent the Netherlands, from your support of both mens and womens cycling, to supporting the lowest levels of cycling, to the professional levels. The Netherlands is a country of cyclists, that's how we see you, and it was appropriate that a national bank was willing to support the cycling hopes of a nation.

I'd always been a bit jealous of the Dutch riders. I had no ladder to the top of my sport, taking me from cycling schoolboy to participant in the Tour de France, in a national team. Only recently do we have such a team, Sky, who invests in the sport at the lowest and highest levels. A sponsor that inspires ones countrymen to become cyclists, like Rabobank did for Holland.

I've raced against Rabo-cyclists since I turned pro. It was always a strong team, and many were jealous of its large budget, good support staff, and the national kinship many Dutch fans felt for the team. Like myself, the team lost its way, and under Theo de Rooij doping was tolerated by the direction.

The truth is that throughout that period everyone tolerated doping. Lance Armstrong showed the outside world what many insiders already knew, that for a while it was impossible to win the Tour or other big races without doping. Sure, there were clean riders and clean victories, but the bottom line was that doping use was widespread, and necessary to be the best.

Most of us were responsible for this. Doping was a way of life in the peloton. I'd hoped the Festina affair would change things, but doping was too deeply rooted.

Changes were needed: better doping controls, and criminalisation of doping use. The latter made it possible for legal investigations into doping, because the police have more tools to investigate riders than anti-doping agencies do. And the whereabouts system made it possible to do serious out-of-competition testing, when most of the dope is used.

Because of these changes there were more riders caught, and more teams confronted with scandals. Some teams reacted forcefully, Marc Madiot and FDJ are a clear example of how doping could be exorcised and banished from a team. They didn't need anyone for that, they did it themselves.

And that's where my criticism comes from. In the last five years this sport has become a whole lot cleaner. My team and our sponsors got into the sport with the intention to run a 100% clean team. We knew how it worked: Garmin DS Jonathan Vaughters and myself are both former dopers. Our sponsors were aware of the mores of the sport; we told them all about it beforehand. They shared our intention to change the future of our sport by taking the right decisions day-by-day.

The Rabobank Team is an institution. The amount of dreams you have destroyed with your decision are countless. You had some of the best athletes, Marianne Vos and Robert Gesink the most prominent, but there are many more. They don't deserve it to have to pay for the mistakes of the past.

You supported your team throughout many scandals, I'll admit that, but did you do enough to prevent the scandals in the first place? I don't think so. Is your team clean now? I believe they are. Can you be proud of the team that you've supported all those years? Absolutely.

Instead you're now withdrawing from the sport, with the remarkable announcement that: "we are no longer convinced that the international professional cycling world is capable of keeping itself honest and clean. We do not believe that this will change any time soon".

You're wrong.

There have been many changes in the last few years. I KNOW that it is now possible to win big races whilst clean. I understand your disillusionment, but please, do not degrade all the hard work that has been done. You're throwing away the opportunity to be a part of the future of what you yourselves call "a beautiful sport."

I admire your decision not to immediately close up shop, and to allow the team to continue nameless next year. Many sponsors would just cut-and-run. Maybe you should just give yourselves some time to understand the sport, and to think about a way to be a part of the continuing change in it. Everyone who has been a part of recent cycling history understands that mistakes have been made, and that those mistakes need to be corrected.

Not only would that be ethically just, but more importantly, it is our duty.

David Millar

Link: http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3184/opinie/article/detail/3334783/2012/10/20/David-Millar-Beste-Rabobank-jullie-maken-ontelbare-dromen-kapot.dhtml
  • ReplyReply

• The Poster Formerly Known As Moondance

• Dutch Mafia
    • Domestic Rider
    « Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 15:32 »
    A nice, well-written letter, with a clear message. I don't agree with it though, but that's me.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #67 on: October 20, 2012, 15:56 »
    I can understand why Millar feels this way, and respect his opinion. I do not agree with it though. Rabobank has supported the sport longer than almost any other sponsor, through some of its darkest times. Of course I would much rather have seen them stay on as a sponsor, but the way they handled it all was very decent. I do not blame the bank for their decision at all, though I can understand the frustration.

I do appreciate Millar's response though. I really hope some day he'll be in a nice high position within the UCI, I'd love to see him given a shot at cleaning up the mess that is this sport.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 16:50 »
    I can understand why Millar feels this way, and respect his opinion. I do not agree with it though. Rabobank has supported the sport longer than almost any other sponsor, through some of its darkest times. Of course I would much rather have seen them stay on as a sponsor, but the way they handled it all was very decent. I do not blame the bank for their decision at all, though I can understand the frustration.

I do appreciate Millar's response though. I really hope some day he'll be in a nice high position within the UCI, I'd love to see him given a shot at cleaning up the mess that is this sport.

Rabobanks' mission was to support safe cycling in Holland, and to promote cycling, develop Dutch Riders, and hire International superstars for the big races.
    What do they get, a minority of uber dopers who pooed all over the sport, and the icing on the cake, Leipheimer outing all his teams,including Rabo and Barredo showing he can't do it clean. I am hoping all the big sponsors follow Rabo right out of the sport, now that it is all out, with The USPS riders, who can take cycling seriously. It is not David Millars' fault, as he adds levity to the situation, from the inside out, but cycling is now a laughing stock of the sporting world. Who in Gods' name can take pro cycling seriously, its like watching the East German track and field, and East German swim team, in the past Olympics.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 17:01 »
    No time for Millar. He slammed Landis, his own history was darker than he lets on. He always defended omerta till now when the wind is blowing a different way, he wants a cycling media career and he is doing his damnedest to achieve it. Too late for this Millar, years too late!
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3335
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 01:20 »
    I admire your decision not to immediately close up shop, and to allow the team to continue nameless next year. Many sponsors would just cut-and-run. Maybe you should just give yourselves some time to understand the sport, and to think about a way to be a part of the continuing change in it. Everyone who has been a part of recent cycling history understands that mistakes have been made, and that those mistakes need to be corrected.

seriously Dave ... they should take some time to understand the sport?   :fp

while I do admire his passion, and I am glad that someone within the peleton at least is speaking up ... we need to focus on the issues at the top before we can fix the sport from within
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 23:06 »
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/11664/Rabobank-stopt-sponsoring/article/detail/3335135/2012/10/21/Knebel-Veel-belangstelling-voor-wielerploeg-Rabobank.dhtml

Multiple parties are apparently interested in sponsoring the Rabo team. They say they might have a new sponsor in 2013 already. Giant is interested, they could either just remain on as material sponsor, increase their share of the team (probably becoming co-sponsor), or even become the main sponsor. They are not the only interested party though.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 13:12 »
    Quote from: @TourdeJose
    UCI says it will ask license commission to make an exception for (former) Rabobank and give a one-year WT-license

Due to the technical issues with finding the link Jose posted on my work PC (Twitter block) and linguistic issues of me not speaking Dutch, I *think* this is the right story.

http://www.wielerrevue.nl/nc/nieuwsitem/2012/10/23/raboploeg-kan-worldtour-licentie-behouden

But I am happy to be corrected.

I am also happy for the Rabobus to keep rolling on the best roads (stretched metaphor, much?)
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10576
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 14:35 »
    "We will ask the license commission to make an exception," UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani told wielerrevue.nl. "That means that the team can get a one year license, instead of the four-year license as was requested by the team."

I like this from the UCI  :-[   :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 11:50 »
    GT

Four or five companies, potential sponsors of the new Rabobank

It seems only a matter of time that the structure of Rabobank can submit a new sponsor. The team management held extensive discussions with four or five companies from the Dutch bank announced Oct. 19 that left professional cycling in the wake of recent events, in particular the report of USADA doping revealing systematic and organized the U.S. Postal and Lance Armstrong.

Rabobank, in any case, was committed to maintaining its contractual commitments, while the team announced "a new beginning" in a new foundation and a "white label", at least to find a new sponsor.

Most of those companies interested in taking over from Rabobank are based in Holland, as confirmed by Richard Plugge, communications manager of the Dutch training in  Wielerrevue .

Plugge explains why interest is so great because "companies see a team with an organization among the best in the world and they see that their talents can go far."

Moreover, the bank guarantee submitted Rabobank ICU, his place in the WorldTour seems assured. Giant and Shimano who have already confirmed their support.

For the rest of formations, the female ensemble led by Marianne Vos has a secure future. "Men and women are in the same package. All potential sponsors and want to know that," says Plugge. If there is a new sponsor, Rabobank will continue its support to the 2016 Olympics.

Similarly, the continental team will continue under the auspices of the National Federation and Rabobank as sponsor of clothing. As not compete as a national team, foreign cyclists, as the Germans and Ruben Zepunkte Rick Zabel, continue.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=56781
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 14:03 »
    Well at least it can only get better for Rabo :D
    But tbh it seems like the team will be unaffected in terms of riders come next year..

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 14:57 »
    While the men’s team is under a certain degree of pressure to sort out a new arrangement, the women are in a more secure position. Plugge clarified what is a separate arrangement for them. “Rabobank said that whatever happens, the women’s team will continue,” he said, confirming that they are safe until the next Olympics.

“If the team does not find a new sponsor in the years following next season, then Rabobank has said it will guarantee that the women will be supported.”

This means that not only will Olympic and world champion Marianne Vos be guaranteed backing, but so too will her team-mates.

:win :win :win
    We kind of knew that already, but at least now it's confirmed. Women's team to continue :)

For the men, seems they are looking good to continue as well. New sponsor, better kits (they can't get any worse.. can they?), hopefully more demands on the riders to perform.. Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing what a new sponsor could do for the team.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 16:22 »
    I don't know whether this has surfaced already, but the initial 15 ProTour teams have been released by the UCI:

LINK

It does include "Former Rabobank", so whoever comes in to sponsor the men's team will be sponsoring a top tier team.

I know we suspected it, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Further discussion of the contents of that list in the appropriate thread: LINK
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #79 on: November 21, 2012, 12:48 »
    Giant decides against becoming title sponsor of the Rabobank team

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giant-decides-against-becoming-title-sponsor-of-the-rabobank-team
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5715
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #81 on: December 13, 2012, 14:12 »
    Ah, but as soon as Rabobank and its orange colour is gone from the kit, the riders will no longer crash. And the DSs will no longer make stupid tactical decisions.
    2013 will be the most successful season Rabobank has ever had. ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Re: Blanco Pro Cycling
    « Reply #82 on: December 13, 2012, 16:25 »
    Their kits are in the other threads seems like this is the thread for them so here is their bike:

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 17:22 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #84 on: December 13, 2012, 17:30 »
    I knew they signed Renshaw for something beside coming 9th in sprints

Voice overs  :win
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 22:18 »
    So Gesink's programme will start at the Ruta del Sol, first main goal will be Paris-Nice. No classics, but training in Tenerife during that time. Then Romandie and the Giro, and then the Tour. Kelderman and Kruijswijk will be there with Gesink at the Giro.
    Mollema will likely peak for the Ardennes again, where he did quite well last year. He will be the leader at the Tour alongside Gesink and Ten Dam (though normally Mollema should be leader and the other two superdoms). Hopefully Kruijswijk will be allowed to lead the Vuelta after that with Ten Dam, since I think it will be too hard for Kelderman.

The team will need results to attract sponsors, and this does seem like the right way to do it. Gesink can achieve podiums or even wins at Paris-Nice, Romandie and the Giro. Mollema can provide some success at the Ardennes, he won't win a major classic probably but particularly in LBL he could reach top-5 or podium imo. At the Tour he can provide the obligatory GC top-10 and with luck perhaps challenge for a stage.

Good to see the team formerly known as Rabobank changing it up. Looking forward to seeing them in action next year.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35 »
    "To be honest, for two days I was sh*tting myself," Tanner told Cyclingnews. "I'd come onto a team that had been one of the best in the world ever since I'd been watching the Tour de France, and then one day you get an email saying that a sponsor who has been in the sport for 17 years has stopped, so that was not a nice feeling. But once the story and the situation we're in became clear to us, I relaxed a little bit more. For me, the main thing is that the team races as normal for 2013."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tanner-primed-for-new-beginning-at-blanco-pro-cycling
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 23:21 »
    Totally forgot to post this graph, inspired by that other place

Training ride by Gesink, 405 watts average for 30 minutes, if we take his weight according to Dutch wiki (68 kg), that averages out at 5,96 w/kg. Not sure what to say about it, seems quite a form already for this time of the season. :o
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #88 on: February 03, 2013, 03:04 »
    Form in training has never been Gesink's problem
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #89 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59 »
    Form in training has never been Gesink's problem

No the laws of physics havebeen.

For every skinny cyclist cycling at 55 km/h that hits the road the road hits back at the same force
  • ReplyReply

•