collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10801
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Blanco Pro Cycling
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2013, 08:07 »
So we and others have had some discussions 're Rabo continued armchair sponsorship resulted in lesser results from Dutch cycling and rabo it's self

After win number 10 for the year before March has even started I think we can say yes, funny what having a fire lite under someone's assume can do . ;)

If I was going to sponsor Blanco next year I would sign on for 1 year with options for years after, and watch the results.

Ofc winning culture and all that helps but even Renshaw is winning. This effect is ofc seen everywhere, IAM new team doing well, might fall back next year ?

But 3 WT teams and a fire under the oversupported rabo children and Dutch cycling has never looked so healthy.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51 »
    Didn't Rabo have a great early season last year as well? Once the serious races started they stopped winning though. I'll hold my judgement on whether the extra pressure has helped until they actually win something decent: a (semi-) classic, PN or TA, or a Giro stage, podium and/or jersey.

But yet, it's looking quite good for Dutch cycling. We're the only country in the world actually dealing with our sh*t (in a flawed way, admittedly, but still), but that's for the Dark Side. We have quite some commercial interest in cycling, a few companies are apparently interested in Blanco. Our youth system is perhaps the best in the world, and there are three well-established teams waiting to pick up those youths and further develop them. We have Rabobank as a sponsor to thank for most of that: without their stable 'armchair' sponsorship, none of this would have been possible. They got Dutch cycling off the ground, and Vacansoleil and Argos profit from it.

But yes, it did reduce the pressure on the big Dutchies a bit. If the youth, continental, womens and offroad teams can survive this by continued sponsorship from Rabobank and perhaps other sponsors stepping in, having more pressure from sponsorship can only improve the Blanco team. As long as they do find that new sponsor, though from what I hear things are looking good.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #92 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11 »
    So we and others have had some discussions 're Rabo continued armchair sponsorship resulted in lesser results from Dutch cycling and rabo it's self

After win number 10 for the year before March has even started I think we can say yes, funny what having a fire lite under someone's assume can do . ;)

If I was going to sponsor Blanco next year I would sign on for 1 year with options for years after, and watch the results.

Ofc winning culture and all that helps but even Renshaw is winning. This effect is ofc seen everywhere, IAM new team doing well, might fall back next year ?

But 3 WT teams and a fire under the oversupported rabo children and Dutch cycling has never looked so healthy.

It goes without saying that this is a period in which cycling desperately needs credibility and, perhaps moreso, a bit of consistency. Surprisingly, the history and recent fallout of Rabobank has not yet sparked any sort of review or debate on the two-way street of cycling sponsorships.

It's worth looking back at when Rabobank first appeared in 1996 - there may be some parallels there worth exploring:

Dutch cycling itself was pretty healthy, though the proliferation of programmes had damaged the Pax Beneluxis (sic), an hegemony over one-day racing that had been enjoyed by Raas, Post and Priem up to then.

Perhaps more seriously though, the European economy was fragile after a sustained recession which saw commercial opportunities heralded and eulogised in rapid succession. Meanwhile, traditional backers tended to downgrade and regionalise their cycling activities as recovery came slowly. TVM's co-sponsors changed almost annually and Raas went through several name changes while exploring the cash-rich but unpredictable new world of technology.

Rabobank stepped in and vacuumed up an impressive array of talent in its début season. Look at the novel promotional pictures, in which everyone is seen to be chatting like old friends.

I was not aware of the extent of the initial commitment Rabobank made, i.e. whether or not a sixteen year stint investing in all levels of the sport was always the plan, but from modest beginnings came the pressure for results and results always come at a price.

There is some, still fairly quiet speculation about Rabobank's demands on the team and I would certainly like to hear more about that.

What the demise of Rabo has left, however, is not only plenty of uncertainty for the riders and staff, but also what a potential sponsor can expect from the sport today.

This latter aspect is what distinguishes the time of Blanco from that of Rabo.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 13:18 »
    NOS embedded in Blanco during the Tour

The NOS will be following the day-to-day progress during the Tour within the Blanco team for a documentary to be broadcast this autumn. All doors are open to the NOS camera, the riders will be followed the entire day: breakfast, medical care, racing, team strategy discussions, all will be filmed. Should make for a very interesting documentary, and might help Blanco in their sponsor search as well.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 22:01 »
    More Rabobank-related, but as this is basically still the same team...

I went to an event with Matti Breschel tonight.
    One of the topics was food, and he mentioned that they weren't as "modern" in that area as Saxo Bank, citing as examples that they sometimes had pommes frites for dinner during races (no idea how often), and that there was sometimes a bowl with gummy bears in the team hotel.
    He also said that he'd almost signed with Sky instead of Rabobank 2,5 years ago (would have been interesting to see how that would have worked out).
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 14:46 »
    just trying to get clarification from my insider at Belkin !!!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #96 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52 »
    Blanco = Belkin = more international team = no more Dutch Holiday camp

wants to be on the jersey for the TDF

TourdeJose reports these guys are out of contract end of the year

Einde contract bij Blanco zijn Bol, Brown, Ten Dam, Van Emden, Flens, Garate, Leezer, Martens, Renshaw, Slagter en Van Winden.

Reno ‏@renovandael 50m
    From the Telegraaf article re Blanco, Team SKY has shown interest in Lars Boom and Orica-GE are keen on TJ Slagter.

which means brownie probably goes as well  to sky :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1018
    « Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 13:45 »
    Blanco = Belkin = more international team = no more Dutch Holiday camp

wants to be on the jersey for the TDF

Einde contract bij Blanco zijn Bol, Brown, Ten Dam, Van Emden, Flens, Garate, Leezer, Martens, Renshaw, Slagter en Van Winden.

Reno ‏@renovandael 50m
    From the Telegraaf article re Blanco, Team SKY has shown interest in Lars Boom and Orica-GE are keen on TJ Slagter.

which means brownie probably goes as well  to sky :cool:

Hopefully having a new non-Dutch sponsor will give the lazy riders like Boom etc. the kick in the ass they need.

Also they should send Delahaye to Coldeportes. Would love to see Ryo's reaction.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #99 on: June 01, 2013, 09:07 »
    Great news but at the same time, I think every team that brings in a big new sponsor needs to really show that the sport can handle itself responsibly.

Team Belkin, as I can now call it, must now be an example for others to point to when trying to attract sponsorship. Pro cycling has much to prove and this team is a metaphor for that.

As has been said above, the Dutch character of the team is set to change and hopefully that will mean a good yard sale at the end of the season.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #100 on: June 01, 2013, 12:35 »
    Great news for the team. Now time for a clean-out, and then some good new signings. Which Americans may be available this year? I'm sure Belkin would want some in their team.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #101 on: June 01, 2013, 18:41 »

I wouldn't sign any of these guys other then Renshaw or Slagter.

I'd raid Vacansoliel first for Westra n De Gendt.

As for American's I'd go after Bontragers young guns as well as Optum's Hanson, Haga & Zirbel.

USA NAT RR
    1.               RODRIGUEZ Fred       JBC       4h06'56"       100   
    2.               BOOKWALTER Brent       BMC              60   
    3.               REIJNEN Kiel       UHC              50   
    4.               JACQUES-MAYNES Ben       JSH              40   
    5.               MANNION Gavin       BLS              35   
    6.               FAIRLY Caleb       GRS              30   
    7.               KING Edward       CAN              25   
    8.               HOWES Alex       GRS              20   
    9.               BUSCHE Matthew       RLT              16   
    10.               BALDWIN Christopher       BPC              12   
    11.               ZIRBEL Tom       OPM              10   
    12.               BROWN Nathan       BLS              9   
    13.               JONES Carter       BPC              8   
    14.               BUTLER Christopher       CSS       09"       7   
    15.               EUSER Lucas       UHC       12"       6   
    16.               DRISCOLL Jamey       JSH       16"       5   
    17.               GAIMON Phillip       BPC       33"       5   
    18.               HAGMAN Alex       JBC       04'08"       5   
    19.               JONES Christopher       UHC       04'08"       5   
    20.               DUGGAN Timothy       TST       05'44"       5   
    21.               JENKINS Max       5HR       05'44"       0   
    22.               MURPHY John       UHC       05'44"       0   
    23.               ANTHONY Jesse       OPM       05'44"       0   
    24.               SCHMITT Morgan       JBC       05'44"       0   
    25.               WREN Tyler       JSH       05'44"       0   
    26.               RATHE Jacob       GRS       05'44"       0   
    27.               PIPP Frank       BPC       07'12"       0   
    28.               FARABAUGH Adam       GQC       07'12"       0   
    29.               FARRAR Tyler       GRS       07'12"       0   
    30.               SUMMERHILL Daniel       UHC       07'12"       0   
    31.               HAGA Chad       OPM       07'12"       0   
    32.               WILLIAMS David       5HR       07'12"       0   
    33.               ZWIZANSKI Scott       OPM       07'12"       0   
    34.               BEYER Chad       CSS       07'12"       0   
    35.               CANDELARIO Alex       OPM       07'12"       0   
    36.               STEMPER James       5HR       07'12"       0   
    37.               LOUDER Jeff       UHC       07'12"       0   
    38.               BURNETT Ian       JBC       39'00"       0   
    39.               SHELDEN Taylor       5HR       39'00"       0   
    40.               CLARK Oscar       HSD       54'00"       0   
    41.               MCCARTY Jonathan Patrick       BPC       54'00"       0   
    42.               PUTT Tanner
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #102 on: June 01, 2013, 19:24 »
    I wouldn't sign any of these guys other then Renshaw or Slagter.

I'd raid Vacansoliel first for Westra n De Gendt.

As for American's I'd go after Bontragers young guns as well as Optum's Hanson, Haga & Zirbel.

Add Ten Dam, great mountain domestique for a GC rider. Has always suffered from his teammates crashing out or being worse than him, but for a good leader he could do some great work imo. A team like BMC could really use him. Parhaps Garate could find a place at a nice team. The rest are indeed hardly the highest level and may be better off in a pro-conti team.

As for Americans, I don't know those guys that well really, but some young talents could be interesting for Blanco/Belkin.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #103 on: June 01, 2013, 19:32 »
    Beyer or Butler might be worth another go Butler probably

Garate I would re sign and if I resign Bos I am also re uping Brownie
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #104 on: June 01, 2013, 19:34 »
    Be interesting to see if Belkin do make any requests. THey are American but they are pretty much a world wide company now so I cant see them making many demands, but I can imagine they want one or two for marketing in the US.

Good news for Blanco though. Surprised that Belkin are putting in the title sponsor amount. Pretty good news for teh sport. Its a surprise that more technology companies arent getting involved.
  • ReplyReply

• August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #105 on: June 02, 2013, 02:55 »
    Will Blanco/Belkin now be registered as a US team? Or remain registered as a Dutch team? If they sign any Bontrager youngsters I hope they don't get affected by the Rabo curse. 
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #106 on: June 02, 2013, 06:40 »
    Will Blanco/Belkin now be registered as a US team? Or remain registered as a Dutch team? If they sign any Bontrager youngsters I hope they don't get affected by the Rabo curse.

It will remain Dutch, I think, but there will doubtless be some roster changes. If I were buying US riders, the young guys would be my target, blank canvas and all that.

A bit early to say but apart from a stronger early showing and a bit of management shuffling, Belkin doesn't seem all that different from Rabo. Very softly softly in recent  stage racing. Bos was going well prior to Turkey and there were some notable early results but it's still been fairly modest.

Definitely need to look beyond Mollema, Kruijswijk and Gesink for GTs.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #107 on: June 02, 2013, 07:46 »
    Wilco did well at the giro

But G-sink should move somewhere

Garmin or bmc be a good fit for mind

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #108 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33 »
    You can't switch country of registration halfway through a season.
    They may well turn "American" next year - or not. It's in name only anyway for WT teams; Astana had both a Luxembourg and a Swiss license in past years.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    « Reply #109 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56 »
    Clearly, US riders are not in favor even with teams with major US interests like BMC & Radioshack.

The only real American team is Garmin and that has a very international roster.

Americans on WT Teams

AG2R LA MONDIALE   FRA ------------------ 0
    ASTANA PRO TEAM   KAZ------------------ 1  (US Bicycle sponsorship)
    BELKIN PRO CYCLING TEAM   NED ------- 0
    BMC RACING TEAM   USA ------------------ 4  (US Registered, and clothing sponsor)
    CANNONDALE PRO CYCLING   ITA--------- 1   (Several US sponsors, including Title sponsor)
    EUSKALTEL EUSKADI   ESP------------------- 0
    FDJ   FRA---------------------------------------- 0
    GARMIN SHARP   USA------------------------ 9 (US Registered, and several US sponsors, including Title sponsor)
    KATUSHA   RUS----------------------------- 0
    LAMPRE-MERIDA   ITA------------------------- 0
    LOTTO BELISOL   BEL------------------------ 0
    MOVISTAR TEAM   ESP------------------------ 0
    OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP CYCLING TEAM   BEL ---- 0 (US Bicycle, component and wheel sponsors)
    ORICA GREENEDGE   AUS ------------------ 0
    RADIOSHACK LEOPARD   LUX ------------- 3     (US Title and Bicycle sponsors)
    SKY PROCYCLING   GBR------------------------ 3     (No US Sponsors ???)
    TEAM ARGOS-SHIMANO   NED------------- 1      (US Bicycle and clothing sponsor)
    TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF   DEN-------------------1      (US Bicycle, component and wheel sponsors)
    VACANSOLEIL-DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM   NED---------------- 0

I think Belkin should shoot for an International roster largely made of Dutch riders.

Meaning most of the open spots should go to Non Dutch riders.

Riders under contract for 2014
    NED 11
    AUS 2
    BEL 2
    GER 1
    NOR 1
    ESP 1

Riders
    BOBRIDGE Jack   AUS   13.07.1989
    BOL Jetse   NED   08.09.1989
    BOOM Lars   NED   30.12.1985
    BOS Theo   NED   22.08.1983
    BROWN Graeme   AUS   09.04.1979
    CLEMENT Stef   NED   24.09.1982
    FLENS Rick   NED   11.04.1983
    GARATE Juan Manuel   ESP   24.04.1976
    GESINK Robert   NED   31.05.1986
    GOOS Marc   NED   30.11.1990
    KRUIJSWIJK Steven   NED   07.06.1987
    LEEZER Thomas   NED   26.12.1985
    MARTENS Paul   GER   26.10.1983
    MOLLEMA Bauke   NED   26.11.1986
    NORDHAUG Lars Petter   NOR   14.05.1984
    RENSHAW Mark   AUS   22.10.1982
    SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon   ESP   24.11.1983
    SLAGTER Tom Jelte   NED   01.07.1989
    TANKINK Bram   NED   03.12.1978
    TANNER David   AUS   30.09.1984
    TEN DAM Laurens   NED   13.11.1980
    TJALLINGII Maarten   NED   05.11.1977
    VAN EMDEN Jos   NED   18.02.1985
    VAN WINDEN Dennis   NED   02.12.1987
    VANMARCKE Sep   BEL   28.07.1988
    WAGNER Robert   GER   17.04.1983
    WYNANTS Maarten   BEL   13.05.1982
    Neo
    HOFLAND Moreno   NED   31.08.1991
    KELDERMAN Wilco   NED   25.03.1991

• ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 366
    « Reply #110 on: June 03, 2013, 22:37 »

I think Belkin should shoot for an International roster largely made of Dutch riders.

Meaning most of the open spots should go to Non Dutch riders.

Belkin has said that they want a more international roster without such a heavy Dutch influence that it has currently, this would probably mean that most of the Dutch riders out of contract will not be resigned (perhaps solely the rising stars or just generally the young guys) and that the other Dutch riders at least won't be as certain of a spot as they have been for the years under Rabo. This could certainly mean that we will slowly see most of, but probably not all, of the Dutch riders being slowly faced out while only retaining those that prove that they can perform on a high level and either consistently get results, or those that are perfect in a supporting role. This could also well mean that the salaries of most of these Dutch riders might become a bit lower than they are now
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #111 on: June 05, 2013, 14:09 »
    Not sure that would be the best route.

Some Dutch talent there that would benefit from being kept and nurtured.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #112 on: June 05, 2013, 16:38 »
    The problem with having a local focus like that is that there is a risk of overlooking someone talented simply because they're from a different country. Euskaltel being a prime example of not having a successful recruitment policy. I think Sky have recognised the need to sign from abroad to keep the roster strong, and it would benefit everyone at Rabo/Blanco to do the same.

Renshaw will move to OPQS, Slagter is linked with OGRE. But of the other Dutch riders Blackbandit struck through, would any of them be missed at WT level? And even the non-Dutch: Garate and Brown are on the downward slope. I do rate Martens, though, and I'm sure he'd pick up a ride somewhere.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    « Reply #113 on: June 05, 2013, 17:55 »
    The problem with having a local focus like that is that there is a risk of overlooking someone talented simply because they're from a different country. Euskaltel being a prime example of not having a successful recruitment policy. I think Sky have recognised the need to sign from abroad to keep the roster strong, and it would benefit everyone at Rabo/Blanco to do the same.

I do rate Martens, though, and I'm sure he'd pick up a ride somewhere.

Rabobank has add foreigners like Friere, Flecha and Lulu.   However, recent additions like Renshaw, Breschel and Nordhaug haven't been as fruitful.

I like Martens too, but he could probably benefit from a change of scenery.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51 »
    I assume Belkin will remain *nl reg does anyone know for sure ?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9127
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #115 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07 »
    yep, changes of nationality come into effect at 1st of january

2.15.051 The nationality of the UCI ProTeam is determined, at the UCI ProTeam’s choice, by:
    • The country of the registered office of the paying agent; or
    • The country of the registered office of the holder of the licence; or
    • A country where a product or service is marketed by the or a main sponsor under the name of the UCI ProTeam or of a component of this name.
    The UCI administration must be informed of this choice at the latest by 1st October before the first year of the licence. Failure to do so will result in the nationality of the UCI ProTeam being determined by the country of the registered office of the paying agent.

The choice of the nationality of the country of the registered office of the paying agent is valid for the entire duration of the licence and cannot be changed, except if the Professional Cycling Council approves a new paying agent which has its registered office in another country, in accordance with article 2.15.061. In the latter case, the UCI ProTeam may make another choice in accordance with the first paragraph.

The choice of the nationality of a country where a product or service is marketed by the or a main sponsor under the UCI ProTeam’s name or component of this name is valid for the entire duration of the licence and cannot be changed except if the main sponsor concerned no longer holds this status. In the latter case, the UCI ProTeam may make another choice in accordance with the first paragraph.

The change of nationality comes into effect on 1st January following its notification to the Professional Cycling Council.[/i]
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #116 on: June 24, 2013, 08:59 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: Belkin Pro Cycling
    « Reply #117 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #118 on: June 24, 2013, 13:07 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #119 on: June 24, 2013, 13:10 »
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:37]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:32]

Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic by hiero
    [August 19, 2017, 17:18]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by t-72