collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3349
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
The UCI Masterplan to save womens cycling
« on: October 22, 2012, 16:04 »
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/535194/uci-masterplan-to-save-women-s-racing.html

Men's ProTeams having women's teams
"We could look at encouraging ProTeams when they renew their UCI registration, but not necessarily in a compulsory way.

"A lot of the men's teams are financially challenged anyway. Putting more load on them is not necessarily going to help in this situation. They'd probably say it's the simplest thing to cut off."

Men's races having accompanying women's races
"I think some go for the men's event and regard the women's as a bit of a sideshow. We can do more of that association with those races, but I think we've got to have more events not linked to men's."

Lack of televised live women's events
"Is it the broadcasters' fault or is it the public who are not that interested in watching it? That's the whole conundrum of women's sport, it's the same with women's football: if the public wanted to watch it, there would be more on."

Changing the women's World Cup
"I think the World Cup for women as it stands is quite a sensible entity. I'd like to see more events and stage races too. Making that happen is much more difficult."

A minimum wage for women cyclists
"If you passed a rule tomorrow saying that a women's pro team had to have a minimum wage, the first result would be you'd lose half the teams, because they couldn't afford it."

Sponsors entering women's sport
"Money comes into sport because people want to watch it or follow it, and companies come to see some value to being associated with that sport, because of the profile it gives them and the gain they can get out of it."

How the media can help
"Maybe be bold from time to time and have the confidence as a publisher or media organisation to put a woman on the front cover. Increasing the proportion of women's coverage would be good. But I don't think women want tokenism: they want interesting stories about interesting people and events in their own right."

In other words, do absolutely flip all apart from increasing the number of riders in the team pursuit to four.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: The UCI Masterplan to save womens cycling
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 17:27 »
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/535194/uci-masterplan-to-save-women-s-racing.html
    Men's ProTeams having women's teams
    "We could look at encouraging ProTeams when they renew their UCI registration, but not necessarily in a compulsory way.

"A lot of the men's teams are financially challenged anyway. Putting more load on them is not necessarily going to help in this situation. They'd probably say it's the simplest thing to cut off."

Men's races having accompanying women's races
    "I think some go for the men's event and regard the women's as a bit of a sideshow. We can do more of that association with those races, but I think we've got to have more events not linked to men's."

"Is it the broadcasters' fault or is it the public who are not that interested in watching it? That's the whole conundrum of women's sport, it's the same with women's football: if the public wanted to watch it, there would be more on."

Changing the women's World Cup
    "I think the World Cup for women as it stands is quite a sensible entity. I'd like to see more events and stage races too. Making that happen is much more difficult."

A minimum wage for women cyclists
    "If you passed a rule tomorrow saying that a women's pro team had to have a minimum wage, the first result would be you'd lose half the teams, because they couldn't afford it."

Sponsors entering women's sport
    "Money comes into sport because people want to watch it or follow it, and companies come to see some value to being associated with that sport, because of the profile it gives them and the gain they can get out of it."

How the media can help
    "Maybe be bold from time to time and have the confidence as a publisher or media organisation to put a woman on the front cover. Increasing the proportion of women's coverage would be good. But I don't think women want tokenism: they want interesting stories about interesting people and events in their own right."

In other words, do absolutely flip all apart from increasing the number of riders in the team pursuit to four.

Fat, in bolded summary.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10242
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 19:09 »
    at least it is better than after the WC 2011

where Pat said something equivalent to Meh when asked about womens cycling 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 177
    « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 18:52 »

He just doesn't get it does he.  The Olympics proved that the sports media have got it wrong.  They will continue to exclude and marginalise women's sports and then quote the lack of interest as "if the public wanted to watch it, there would be more on".  The public are not misogynists or perhaps more correctly, ignorant fools incapable of an original thought or following an argument, like Cookson.

A charter for doing sweet FA.  How can they justify no minimum wage ?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    May as well go in here

FW tomorrow men's winner 16 000 euro

Women's 1128 euro

Information via @inrng.

14 times less , shakes his head
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    The UCI need to wait until women's sport has developed more ! 

Over 30 years since Longo stood on the podium at the Champs Elysee with Roche so putting a dot there and another in that fact of today, I think the blokes will be getting their clubs out to go and knock their reluctant "mate" unconscious and drag her back to the cave in less than 10 years.

UCI - and now Cookson is directly in charge of the road - not a clue.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Waiting for the women - in dutch

GT-
    Waiting for the women
    While all top cyclists themselves Sunday for the second time in a week reported in the Ardennes, there was absent. Four days after its resounding victory in the Fleche Wallonne was Marianne Vos and her fellow riders not welcome in Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

© ANP
    By Anne Joldersma

The cycling runs regard emancipation miles behind the rest of the sports world. Where the tennis years ago realized that the women of equal (or greater) value for the Grand Slam tournaments than the men, there is only one cycling classic that welcomes the opposite sex. Only the Tour of Flanders organizes, since 2004, a course for women. Along with the Giro Donne and the Flèche Wallonne this contest one of the few highlights in the vrouwenwegseizoen. Constitutes While the IOC over the last twenty years has made ​​a spearhead to pull with that of men as the percentage of female participants in the Games , watch the big cycling organizers still the other way. Even the elderly club of FIFA, the bastion of conservatism in the sports world, has comforted effort in recent years to boost. Status of the World Cup for women

ASO
    In particular, the ASO, the French organizer in all its own acronym honors, sees little point in continuing the women to a full wegkalender help. In 2010 it put a line through the Tour Feminin and the classics Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege are only starting places for men ready. British Elizabeth Armitstead used last year after earning the silver the Olympic stage to an emotional hold for a full cycling calendar for women in order to bring the sport. to a higher professional level advocacy And Fox has been playing its part. After winning the world in 2012 she stated that she only too happy finals in San Remo, Roubaix and Lombardy would travel. Rates in history. "I know that the prices are not a woman, but that's exactly my point. (...) It would be recognition for women's cycling," said the Olympic champion.

Iconic finals
    The solution is simple, such as Flanders 'Most Beautiful' shows. The ladies ride at about half the normal length for an hour or two for the men and show themselves in the exact same iconic finals that the spring classics to perhaps make the highlight of the cycling season with the men. offers benefits to all sides . Women's cycling gets some great venues there and thus the opportunity to develop faster the spectators along the way to see not one but two warring platoons pass. And the TV viewer would not blind have to stare at five-hour vacuous television, but gets the women an interesting taste. however the time being holds the classics the empty asphalt prefer for a carnival advertising procession than they Vos and her colleagues give themselves a chance to develop in the same way as the men. The cycling world would not be blinded by the D-word and how it must be fought. The full acceptance of women is an equally important step on the road to joining the rest of the sports world.

By: NUsport / Anne Joldersma
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

S-Works

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 8
    Sarah Connolly blog

Why does the UCI get away with treating women’s cycling so badly?

I have an answer in one sentence:
    "Because they are a bunch of pr*cks."
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    Pat to the rescue !
    « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 20:55 »
    Just what we have been waiting for ! What is not to like ? 
    see page 11

http://sportaccordconvention.com/pdf/sac2013dailyday3.pdf

Pat Wed 29th May
    “My first priority if I am re-elected will be to
    promote women’s cycling around the world,” he said.
    “The UCI needs to focus on developing women’s
    cycling, both from the perspective of equality, but also
    from a grassroots perspective. We need to develop a
    calendar for women’s elite cycling that is clear and
    understandable, as well as one that is global.
    “I want the UCI to help promote the women’s
    sport at an elite level by working with organisers,
    teams and broadcasters. "

Well Pat, some of us have recognised that you needed to get off your backside and be doing this as soon as the tide was going out after 2002, 2003. 

So it needed Pat to get into a completely black hole and his prospects be completely shot, even  with elements of his home Federation wanting to sack him before he put as number 1 what was only fair.  I found this after coming on here this afternoon and seeing no posts and no races and no women's news, anywhere,  I then extended my search criteria.  The women's calendar is broken.  It has dropped below critical mass.   

Well I am going to chalk this UCI move to Nicole Cooke and her statement.  Several months into this season and I am seriously missing one of my favourite riders of all time.  The more I see of Sky (and tbh I was looking at the women's scene because the "Sir Brad pulls out of Tour with bad knee" stuff, stuck so far down my throat, I could not breathe), the more I think what a shower of s**t they are.  It is like Man United - loads of money, no class and fans who all buy the overpriced kit and know nothing.  Cooke was like Cloughies Forest.  Shear adrenaline, class and knew exactly how to upset the establishment. 
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Heres the pdf as a single page
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/145133848/McQuaid-SportAccord

The full interview..
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Absolutely mind blowing. 8 years into the job and his priorities are the sh*t he hasnt done for the last 8 years.. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    McQuaid 2006
    It’s true we have made huge strides over the past 10 years to move cycling forward in the last few years.
    http://www.womenscycling.net/2006/Interviews/PatMcQuaid.htm

Same old mantra
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro

Same old mantra
    Cookson - No.  Even more of the same.  This is the guy who refuses to contemplate a minimum salary for women and has headed up the Road commission which has done nothing apart from watch the women's scene fall to bits.  He sits on the board of team sky as well and so has signed off everything that denies any place for a women's team.

No we do not want Cookson for President. 
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3183
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 16:18 »
    I figured here would be as good a place as any to post what I would like to call:

UCI WTF

Item 1 on today's agenda... no live coverage of the Women's TTT. There will be better places that this thread to discuss the merits/otherwise and TV-entertainment-value/otherwise of a team time trial. Notwithstanding the farce of this year's TV rights, it seems ludicrous to me to organise a Women's TTT, invite 20 teams, run it on the same day as the Men's event - ensuring that all the relevant press/production crews are in place - and then not to broadcast it.

What would be more ludicrous is if the following has any truth to it:

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/381738048603815936

Item 2 - and this was news to me. No U23 Women's competition?

https://twitter.com/NettieEdmondson/status/382050926393323520

I suppose, looking for logic in this is pointless, it's the UCI after all. But really?!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 16:21 »
    I figured here would be as good a place as any to post what I would like to call:

UCI WTF

Item 1 on today's agenda... no live coverage of the Women's TTT. There will be better places that this thread to discuss the merits/otherwise and TV-entertainment-value/otherwise of a team time trial. Notwithstanding the farce of this year's TV rights, it seems ludicrous to me to organise a Women's TTT, invite 20 teams, run it on the same day as the Men's event - ensuring that all the relevant press/production crews are in place - and then not to broadcast it.

What would be more ludicrous is if the following has any truth to it:

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/381738048603815936

Item 2 - and this was news to me. No U23 Women's competition?

https://twitter.com/NettieEdmondson/status/382050926393323520

I suppose, looking for logic in this is pointless, it's the UCI after all. But really?!

and some people saying todays ITT for women was not live
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 16:26 »
    Never has been a womens U23, not in a long time, they have junior and elite. Same at british championships generally, or do the brits have u23 women but no junior. one of the two.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 16:54 »
    But then consider that the European championships are entirely U23, men and women.

So it may not be the fault of Fat Pat and the current occupants of Palais Aigle, but it's still strange, no? Does anyone know a reason why?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 17:02 »
    But then consider that the European championships are entirely U23, men and women.

So it may not be the fault of Fat Pat and the current occupants of Palais Aigle, but it's still strange, no? Does anyone know a reason why?

I think it has more to do with the make up of the womens peloton

mens is clear cut u23 and senior , if you are U23 and ride WT you can not compete in the U23 races

Womens has no U23 competions during the year with many younger riding in the elite Peloton of which there is no WT type set up.

Still does not make much sense but i think that is the reason , make sense what I wrote not the ruling ?
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 17:18 »
    Yes it does... I can understand there not being an U23 Worlds competition when there is no U23 competition on the road the rest of the time.

I guess my confusion (and Nettie Edmondson's, too) is why there isn't a push for U23 competition on the road... a female Tour l'Avenir etc... to enhance the progression of women from the junior ranks into the elite. I think the problem isn't for the winners at Junior level - Marianne Vos won the Elite RR first time, and both Pauline Ferrand-Prevost and Lucy Garner have got decent placings in top-level races this term. But does anyone know - off hand - what happened to those who didn't finish on the podium and get picked up by a big team?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5587
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 18:47 »
    There is no women's U23 Worlds because there is no women's U23 category.
    And there is no such category because, quite simply, there is too little (wo)manpower in female cycling.

Here in Denmark, e.g., even the women juniors race together with the women elite because there are so few female cyclists. I was genuinely surprised when I saw Amalie Dideriksen in today's junior ITT - she's been ripping up the local races, I had no idea she was still a junior rider.

if you are U23 and ride WT you can not compete in the U23 races
    Except they can - the U23 Nations Cup is open to ALL U23 riders, also from WT teams (and some of them participate from time to time).
    In my opinion they should go back to having more 1.2U and 2.2U races - open for any teams (trade team or national/regional selection), but with U23 riders only - anyway.

I agree entirely that an U23 category for women - with a couple of races spread out through the year for U23 riders only, to learn the trade at a somewhat lower level - would be desirable. The U23 riders should still be able to participate in the normal races, of course, if they're good enough.
    But with the state women's cycling is in at the moment, there are simply too few riders to have three separate, sustainable categories in my opinion.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1381
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Looks like the UCI has finally done something to get women's cycling moving forward.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-sufferfest-announced-as-major-sponsor-of-the-uci-women-road-world-cup
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.