AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4024
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Charlie Walsh was the head of the Aus track cycling program for a VERY long time.  Big name, but not so surprising .... would be surprising if he wasnt involved somehow ;D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11194
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Hog on CN says Charlie Walsh. no idea who he is.

Walsh is a loved well not loved admired and hated figure in Oz cycling, came to Oz from behind the wall and built Australias track cycling program from a couple of talented riders into a powerful machine, especially the mens side of things.

Bascially had my way or the highway idea, plus if you survived then you were the strongest.

No way injections were going on without Walsh knowing abouit it.

But Charlie has already been throw under a bus, hence my it is Charlie Walshs fault 1 liners in threads about Oz cycling.

So not a real big story if it is Walsh.

Dim sort of Australias Eddy B I guess
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    This could be interesting
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-19/27senior-cycling-figure27-accused-of-doping/4380686?section=sport

watch at 5m20 the name is bleeped out, but looks decidedly like Shane Sutton

Just watched the bleeped out bit

I agree Sutton which one Shane or Gary , plus Walsh got thrown under a bus years ago as I said, this person is still working in cycling

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:08 by just some guy »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    where is Esa ? some stories please re the OZ guys

ps Dean Woods  :win
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:02 by just some guy »

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    When did Barnes start working in cycling?

He was one of the first on the scene at the Del Monte investigation.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    When did Barnes start working in cycling?

He was one of the first on the scene at the Del Monte investigation.

not much help but from CN

Barnes brings many years of experience to the table, having worked on the medical staff on the Australian Olympic teams at the 1996, 2000 and 2004 Games and worked closely with Cycling Australia, through its most successful period, as part of the Australian Institute of Sport medical team. The South Australian also spent 12-years (1997-2009) as the Chief Medical Officer for Port Adelaide Football Club in the AFL. He has also worked as Chief Medical Officer at the Tour Down Under.

But after this named person I think ??

ps here is the CAS PDF for those that want to read Del monte

http://www.asada.gov.au/publications/rules_and_violations/CAS/CAS_French.pdf
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Dave (Dim) ‏@dimspace
    @daveyboy390 the timeline fits, but he doesnt hold what youd called a senior position in australian sport anymore, i dont think

Dim they never said in Australian cycling

they said Australian holding a senior position in cycling

hence why I think he works overseas.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Gary Suttons name being bandied around, along with Phil Bates, Gary's brother in law.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain

But after this named person I think ??

When they signed Barnes I thought he was an "outsider", no in depth cycling experience. Then I read the Del Monte report and his name came up (as an investigator). This showed to me that he knows what goes on, and leaves me wondering how those past experiences shape his stance today.

To me there are three types of doctors:

Facilitators: They are actively involved in doping and one of the core components of a program.

Agnostics: They do not want to encourage doping but will do the right thing by their team in making sure they stay legal.

Anti-doping: Will not involve themselves in any doping at the team, could be either passive or aggressive in this stance.

IMO most would fit into the second category.

At the moment I'd probably say Barnes is a #2.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    When they signed Barnes I thought he was an "outsider", no in depth cycling experience. Then I read the Del Monte report and his name came up (as an investigator). This showed to me that he knows what goes on, and leaves me wondering how those past experiences shape his stance today.

To me there are three types of doctors:

Facilitators: They are actively involved in doping and one of the core components of a program.

Agnostics: They do not want to encourage doping but will do the right thing by their team in making sure they stay legal.

Anti-doping: Will not involve themselves in any doping at the team, could be either passive or aggressive in this stance.

IMO most would fit into the second category.

At the moment I'd probably say Barnes is a #2.

agreed re the 3 types nicely done

no idea re Barnes but he worked closly with cycling during the growth in OZ cycling so he must be a fool not to know a shed load more than we do
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 306
    Could be Charlie Walsh.  Vinnicombe was in the same St Georges Cycling Club that Gary and Shane Sutton had been in.  Both would fit the bill as being senior riders who achieved and to whom Martin would look up to.
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 306
    Sorry, just catching up at the week-end.  I see that connection was already made in the clinic.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Lampre wants to win this award - Michele Bartoli going to the team as a coach/ds not in a car though
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 325
    where is Esa ? some stories please re the OZ guys

ps Dean Woods  :win

Hello boyz and girlz...! Sorry haven't been around for a while; I'm back in Oz for a few weeks...

In all honesty I don't think Woodsey was on anything, he's just a natural talent, and a favoured son of Charlie Walsh. There were always rumours about Vinnicombe, which seem to have been correct and valid.

I think you'll find the person that is being 'suspected' is a sprinter... an ex-world champion sprinter, NSW based, and still very much involved with the National Team. (Without mentioning names, it's not too difficult to figure who won the world's sprint in 2002)

Back in the late 90s and early 00s there was a vet (as in vet surgeon) that supplied many of the PEDs on the Australian scene... John Katakasi. I know he and the above sprinter were involved, but no 'proof' was ever forthcoming. Check this link for some background info: www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/02/1088488156166.html

I'd be stunned if Sutto (Gary) is involved... he has/had a rep as being clean, and I remember having a conversation years ago about Shane, and Gary said one of the reasons that he didn't want to ride the sixes with Shane was Shane's 'preference' for certain pharmacueticals!

Anyway... some food for thought. I've limited access to the net at the moment, so forgive me if I don't get to replying.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4557
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    again... pepe marti stopped working with Alberto when he (Berto) joined Saxo
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Arb

• Road Captain
    Chann needs to be added for Slipstream?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    The San Luis website has the full list of team staff attending. Looking at GreenEdge I had no idea who any of them are, according to L'arri a certain Vicente Iza is ex Banesto staff unfortunately caught up in the Blitz raids.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6782
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I note from CN this morning that Joxean Matxin is now a DS at Lampre. Dodgy track record Geox and Saunier Duval.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Emilio Magni has joined Astana :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    So Vaughters signs a DS who was a) arrested as a rider over Oil for Drugs and subsequently received a two-year suspension for buying banned substances and who b) also remains one of the very few lucky individuals to beat an EPO positive on a negative B-sample.

The memories are short and the silence is deafening. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7664
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    the silence is deafening. ;)
    Mainly because e.g. I didn't know about it until just now.
    It's the off-season for fans too. We can't be alert 24/7, 365 days a year. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Mainly because e.g. I didn't know about it until just now.
    It's the off-season for fans too. We can't be alert 24/7, 365 days a year. ;)

Also it's Garmin and Vaughters, so he must be well advanced on the path to redemption.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Also it's Garmin and Vaughters, so he must be well advanced on the path to redemption.
    Hopefully so. Whatever that means.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13315
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

regarding Tinkoff's new choice of directeurs sportif, not wanting to stay there (or not being "needed" anymore) might not be the worst sign...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Maybe, either he has or is talking to USADA or no one cares because LA was not involved
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    The judgement is still around. I got it from ItaliaCiclismo.net but I've attached a copy here if anyone's interested.

In a nutshell, Guidi is wiretapped talking to Balestri about blood bags in coded language.

The authorities raid a property and find growth releasing hormone which the defendant's father claims was prescribed to him for a health condition related to his work as a painter.

When asked to provide evidence, namely a doctor's referral or details of a pharmacy, he suddenly can't remember the details (now I dunno about you, but my parents would never bullsh*t the police even if it meant I got busted).

Guidi's lawyer tries to get the case dismissed on the grounds of the defendant no longer being a cyclist (he had since retired) and that the conversations were about equipment and race tactics in Milan - San Remo rather than drugs.

The panel didn't buy it and Guidi got a two-year suspension.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    When asked to provide evidence, namely a doctor's referral or details of a pharmacy, he suddenly can't remember the details (now I dunno about you, but my parents would never bullsh*t the police even if it meant I got busted).
    Italians are different. They stand up for their own (be it family or friends), under almost any circumstances.
    Sometimes that's good, at other times it's not.[1]
     1. *cough* Yellow Fluo Giro wildcard *cough*
  • ReplyReply

•