collapse

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 126
I Love Peter Gabriel
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:37 »
I'll be posting songs randomly, starting with this one, because it popped into my mind this morning

Peter Gabriel & Deep Forest 'While the Earth sleeps' #HD http://t.co/LM1mbsom
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 22:06 »
    Featuring another fave of mine on backing vocals (don't get me started on Kate Bush) this is an absolutely amazing track - and to me it is loaded with meaning. I find it especially noteworthy during current times where corruption & greed in sport is a hot topic - I reckon it's specifically aimed at the IOC, but could easily apply to FIFA, IAAF, UCI, etc - and to think Peter Gabriel wrote, composed & recorded this in 1980 already - he is not only a true genius, and way ahead of his time, but also an activist - loads of commentary in this song. Perhaps if Paul Kimmage is successful in litigation he could sing a couple lines from this in court to you-know-who...

"...hiding out in tree tops, shouting out rude names. Whistling tunes we hide in the dunes by the seaside - whistling tunes we p*ss on the goons in the jungle - it's a knockout!"

http://t.co/kcXoNVU2

• ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 370
    Re: I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 22:36 »
    I'll be posting songs randomly, starting with this one, because it popped into my mind this morning

Peter Gabriel & Deep Forest 'While the Earth sleeps' #HD http://t.co/LM1mbsom

I love Peter Gabriel, he is one of the main reasons I like early Genesisi, although some of the later stuff is good as well. But their first live album will always remain my favourite album by them

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 22:51 »
    their first live album will always remain my favourite album by them

Hi, thanks Barrus, I will definitely check it out :-) Yeah - Peter Gabriel's in my Top 20 for sure (and it's a very long list..) His Secret World Live Double Album is probably my best ever... Was going to post song by song, but yours is a much better idea! I can always highlight my faves subsequently. This features quite a few brilliant artists, female vocal Paula Cole (who did a great job standing in for the like of Kate Bush & Sinead O' Connor - wow!) - it was recorded in Italy, and at the beginning you can hear the crowd call "Peetar! Peetar!" It's fantastic, well worth the watch if you have uncapped ADSL, or if you are willing to pay the dough :-)

Peter Gabriel - "Secret World Live"  (Complete)

http://t.co/pmtjqClk

• ReplyReply

• starfire

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 13:11 »
    Speaking of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, I love this performance of Roy Harper's 'Another Day'. Pretty amazing, though the quality of the clip itself is a little sketchy.

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 13:29 »
    I loved that, thank you, never heard it before. I kinda didn't mind the quality at all, some songs can stand a bit of it :-) Yeah those two - so much genius & mad scientistry at one table, talk about a dream dinner party guest list!
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 13:30 »
    Roy Harper

Never heard of, I think, will Google..
  • ReplyReply

• starfire

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 14:10 »
    Ha, that is, indeed, a lot of madness and genius at the same table  :)

I'm not all that familiar with Roy Harper, I'll admit. He's an old'ish British singer-songwriter, and that's all I know. Actually, I stumbled upon the Gabriel/Bush clip, because I love otherworldly version of the same song, and was curious to hear what they got out of it. My luck.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:26 »
    Featuring another fave of mine on backing vocals (don't get me started on Kate Bush) this is an absolutely amazing track - and to me it is loaded with meaning. I find it especially noteworthy during current times where corruption & greed in sport is a hot topic - I reckon it's specifically aimed at the IOC, but could easily apply to FIFA, IAAF, UCI, etc - and to think Peter Gabriel wrote, composed & recorded this in 1980 already - he is not only a true genius, and way ahead of his time, but also an activist - loads of commentary in this song. Perhaps if Paul Kimmage is successful in litigation he could sing a couple lines from this in court to you-know-who...

"...hiding out in tree tops, shouting out rude names. Whistling tunes we hide in the dunes by the seaside - whistling tunes we p*ss on the goons in the jungle - it's a knockout!"

http://t.co/kcXoNVU2

Ah Kate Bush  ...here she is with one my idols

• ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48 »

Awesome - I love that song - and she's fab live too, shows she's truly great, no augmentation/enhancement required. How cool is that other dude's mullet :-D that's leggend with a double hard g!
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52 »

Will give him a closer look.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 13:15 »
    Seems like Kate Bush is hijacking PG's thread, somehow don't think he'd mind. I love that Donald Sutherland is in this vid - 'Cloudbusting' - would've been handy at 2 am this morning

http://t.co/vJzcA1o2
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    I Love Peter Gabriel
    « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 11:20 »
    "@kabloemski: "I'm digging in the dirt, stay with me, I need support" Beautiful. Peter Gabriel's a legend - genius musician&activist http://t.co/Q6Oy7s3h"

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/peter+gabriel/digging+in+the+dirt_20107564.html

"Something in me, dark and sticky
    All the time it's getting strong
    No way of dealing with this feeling
    Can't go on like this too long

I'm digging in the dirt
    To find the places I got hurt
    Open up the places I got hurt

The more I look, the more I find
    As I close on in, I get so blind
    I feel it in my head, I feel it in my toes
    I feel it in my sex, that's the place it goes"

Some pretty deep stuff - PG's a genius at vocalizing the human condition "It can be described as the irreducible part of humanity that is inherent and not dependent on factors such as gender, race or class. It includes concerns such as the meaning of life, the search for gratification, the sense of curiosity, the inevitability of isolation, or anxiety regarding the inescapability of death." (Wiki)
  • ReplyReply

•