collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10581
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Gillmore calls for a Womens Tour de France
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:42 »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilmore-calls-for-womens-tour-de-france

"It would not be for the full three weeks - two weeks would be great - and I'm thinking of half-stages, but on the same day and same roads.
"We could do the last 120km of each stage, and finish an hour before the men come in. I think it could work perfectly.

"It's probably not going to happen but it would be the answer to a lot of the problems facing women's cycling."

Never going to happen where the hell would they find accommodation  for everyone.

mens 1 day races should have womens races and stand alone tors imo 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5723
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Gillmore calls for a Womens Tour de France
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 13:06 »
    Didn't they have that in the 80s?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 13:11 »
    Didn't they have that in the 80s?

Is it this one that you're thinking of?

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/wedstrijdfiche.php?wedstrijdid=270

Used to be a long race at one time but it got shorter over the years until it ended in 2009.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 13:43 »
    While I'd love to see a Tour Feminine, I cant see it working alongside the existing Tour de France in its current format.

Problems:
    +Extra hotels etc needed for the womens teams would be a problem in some areas. There are already stages where the mens teams stay 40-50km from the finish town, we could find womens teams having to have huge hotel transfers
    +Extra space needed at the start and finish lines for the extra support vehicles, team cars etc
    +2 hours less each day for the tour workers to put up the barriers, finish lines etc, they already have one hell of a tough job, would make their job even tougher

What I think would work in teh short term, is if the final stage in Paris for the men is moving to the evening, then have a womens criterium on the champs elysees using the finishing course in the afternoon. This is the stage with undoubtedly the most roadside fans, and to be honest, it can be a pretty long day sat on the champs with large chunks of nothingness. A womens crit would get huge attention, and there wouldnt be the logistical problems associated with other stages.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10581
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 13:50 »
    Like the idea of the crit  O0
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5723
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 15:52 »
    Is it this one that you're thinking of?

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/wedstrijdfiche.php?wedstrijdid=270

Used to be a long race at one time but it got shorter over the years until it ended in 2009.
    Yes. I remember an image of Fignon and Longo (?) on the podium together.

The idea of a women's crit on Champs-Élysées sounds great. Dim, you should get in touch with ASO. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 16:34 »
    Yes. I remember an image of Fignon and Longo (?) on the podium together.

The idea of a women's crit on Champs-Élysées sounds great. Dim, you should get in touch with ASO. ;)

Just tweeted, her team retweeted it. Only slight problem would be womens Tour of Limousin which finishes the same day as the Tour. But if they could bring Limousin forward two days basically the Limousin squads could then head to Paris for the Sunday.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Stage 16: Rovetta - Bormio by t-72
    [Today at 23:29]

Re: Tour des Fjords by LukasCPH
    [Today at 23:26]

Re: stage 17: Tirano-Canazei 219km by DJW
    [Today at 22:35]

Re: Tour des Fjords by killswitch
    [Today at 22:05]

Re: Tour des Fjords by t-72