collapse

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 126
Greg LeMond - The Original Comeback Kid
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:17 »
Scanned Gen Discuss. & wasn't sure where this belongs, but I loved reading this so much I thought f*ckit, new thread

"Scott, Greg’s son, is the first to go to the front and up the pace and soon, before you know it, he is off the front. Not so much intentionally, but just as a way to remind us all that we are indeed riding (even if this is a multiple-time-winner of the Tour de France we are riding with). It‘s not a surprise that he should be the one to do it, none of us wanting to be that first one to take the bait of the open road. The surprise, however, comes from Greg LeMond himself.

He moves slightly out of the group to the left and into the road and puts the slightest bit of pressure onto his pedals. And he does all of it in one fluid motion. His back arches which causes him to slightly shift himself forward onto the bike until he is almost hunched over the front end of the bike. That’s when I see it. When we all see it.

He chases down Scott with ease and a smile, maybe even 'whooping' as he passes. He then tears down the descent into the town of Markleeville. Ben Lieberson and I would talk about it later, that this was the moment. The moment when we forgot about how long we had waited in his driveway or getting impatient when he insisted on fixing the tape on his ancient bars. Or even when he stopped for the second time to adjust his saddle height.

When he stood up on his bike we all saw Greg LeMond. We saw him on the podium at the Tour de France. We saw him with his kooky glasses snarling at Fignon or looking to Hinault for the fatherly advice that was never there. But more importantly, we saw the greatest bike racer this country has ever known and a man that loves to ride his bike. We saw Greg LeMond."

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-continental-with-greg-lemond?locale=AU
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Re: Greg LeMond - The Original Comeback Kid
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45 »
    You know, I just watched the live tv coverage of the 86 and 89 tours on youtube. In my collection, I have the complete US broadcasts that I recorded at the time - but this was the live coverage from Britain's channel 4. Good coverage - much like today's. Much better than the US.

But the reason I posted this was because, even though I knew the outcome, those were two tremendously exciting and great tours! The final tt into Paris in 89 was still a nail biter!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:23 »
    Greg was highly controversial in his pro years but he did give our stuffy old sport a kick up the arse for better or worse.

It's funny to think about it now, as we happily see him take his long-delayed and rightful place in front of the camera, but he really wasn't so untraditional after all. He rode a very full racing calendar, learned and spoke French, lived spartan like other pros.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 17:18 »
    Greg was highly controversial in his pro years but he did give our stuffy old sport a kick up the arse for better or worse.

It's funny to think about it now, as we happily see him take his long-delayed and rightful place in front of the camera, but he really wasn't so untraditional after all. He rode a very full racing calendar, learned and spoke French, lived spartan like other pros.

Indeed, I agree! I clearly recall many of us cyclists thought Greg was pretty whiny at the time - and I had carried this memory up to today. But watching him back then? Uh, I don't think he was half to whiny as we thought then. And at the end of the 86 Tour, it shows some French journo interviewing him - talk about hostile. It was not a comfortable space.

The impression I got from P&P at the start of '86 was the he was a non-contender, or a pretender at best. 7/11 got more attention, and Phil called them a "novelty" act! At the beginning of 1989, P&P weren't giving Greg much more respect than before. Just a little. Even at the end, I thought it was pretty obvious Phil at least still preferred Fignon. But, I could be reading it wrong.

Ground breakers don't get as much respect as they might deserve. I think that was true in this case.

I thought it was funny, a comment they made about disk wheels - the peloton was strictly not interested - until one guy (not GL, but I forget) used them and beat Hinault by a minute in a tt. Then they stood up and paid attention!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 17:45 »
    I thought it was funny, a comment they made about disk wheels - the peloton was strictly not interested - until one guy (not GL, but I forget) used them and beat Hinault by a minute in a tt. Then they stood up and paid attention!

Sounds like that might have been Thierry Marie.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1647
    « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 14:03 »
    I can't stand LeMond and I can't understand how overrated he is now. I frequented Internet forums by 2003 and people considered him an average champion but no more. Now, some would see him as the GAT.  :S

LeMond destroyed the sport by introducing a focus on one or two major races and disregarding the rest. Actually that's Tapie's revolution. He realized that commercially a handful of races were enough to sell his goods. There was no need to waste energy on small kermesses.

Tapie was one hell of a bast*rd. He had by that time made a fortune in fooling Bokassa, buying out his castle at a very low price. In the 90's, he had left cycling for football, his name will be synonymous with corruption of referees (Marseille-Valenciennes match) and doping (admition by Waddle and Cascarino, there were constantly injections in Marseille).

Tapie used cycling champion strictly for their commercial potential. He argued that a car name on a jersey did not sell any car (referring to the two main French teams at the time: Renault & Peugeot) but that the champions conveyed a formidable image. Tapie divided riders into two categories: those who are “associated with technical or industrial achievements” – these would gain huge income – and those “for whom cycling only consisted in pedaling” (those would just have their salaries which was low and sometimes every year lower, the case of Alain Vigneron). LeMond was in the first category – ‘LeMond only has money relationship with me’, he says – and signed a record 1 million $ contract for three years with Tapie. http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=1883
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3259
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
     Finally! Someone has posted this documentary on Youtube.

I saw this when Versus aired it during the Tour de France some years ago (back when we actually had a network that covered cycling), and as far as I know, it was broadcast once and only once. I could never find any mention of it after-the-fact.

There's some great historical footage of his legendary battle with Hinault in 1986.
    An intense and intimate account of his very-near-death hunting accident and recovery.
    And his return to glory with his epic showdown against Fignon in 1989.

I hope this doesn't get taken down. I don't where else this film exists.
    A good one for the library. 
    :cool

Fearless Greg Lemond

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]