collapse

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Re: Speed Skating
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 21:46 »
The only sport together with Korfbal that we completely dominate.. Its becoming boring :P
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 03:47 »
    I wish we had had a long track nearby when I was a kid. No idea where the nearest track is, probably in Calgary or Vancouver and I grew up about 500km from either city. A great sport that we only get to see once every four years.

Great prophetic quote, squares. 

I moved north at the end of January, to oil and gas country. Also known as the cold, cold, so very cold land of no hills where the family passenger vehicle is a Ford F350 diesel truck with an 8" lift that idles all winter. And well into Spring. Grim, or so I thought until I realized that gas development = stupid amounts of money and that speed skating is a local passion. Has been for years, despite the sport having little support in our country. A local boy even bagged two medals in Sochi. And the local companies used their stupid amounts of money to build one of only two indoor 400M ovals in Canada. So I get to actually try out a sport that has long held a certain fascination with me. Not so grim! What a great facility, on the second level of the complex overlooking two hockey rinks and underneath a suspended running track. I've skated around on my hockey skates and was looking forward to joining the club this fall... until I got transferred south again. It's a good move overall but damn I really wanted to try speed skating. Turns out there is a small track club, aka roller derby on ice, where I am going to live and they do long track outside now and then. I'll have to join and hopefully not kill myself or anybody else trying to skate waaaaaaay too fast on a hockey rink. Sorry Flo, no selfies in a Lycra body suit yet. Lucky you.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1193
    « Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40 »
    In order to make sure that this is not just a discussion between Slow Rider, him and himself (:lol), here's an article about Bart Swings in this weeks Sport Voetbalmagazine and its French-speaking equivalent Sport Foot Magazine

He broke his Belgian record on 3,000m in Inzell, Bavaria, an unusual distance. He's clearly been faster on 1,500 and 5,000m than last year. He's now racing for the Dutch team Victorie. He's backed by sport psychologist An Van Gompel who also works with Elk Vanhoof the BMX rider.

He did a very good preparation ... cycling (It's well known that cycling is part of the training sessions of skaters, I think):

We pedalled more in the Ardennes and in the climbs around Leuven with many climbing sequences at 550w. We constantly pushed in order to reproduce the skating efforts. Bart was already very strong in short intervals and accelerations but he needs to become an ITT rider, so to speak or a pursuit rider. Blow himself up in 5 or 6 minutes in a row in pure strengths. The summer cycling trainings start to be beneficial.

says his coach Jelle Spruyt.

(short translation from the French article)  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 12:01 »
    Bart Swings, World Top in skating, is up for two important years.

Interview in De Zondag 6 November

Being Dutch? No! :D

In the coming week, the skating season starts with the first World Cup event in China. For our top athlete Bart Swings this winter must be a copy of the next Olympic winter: same training camps, same events, testing everything. The 25 year old Brabantian is very high ambitions. This season, a medal at the Worlds and next season an Olympic medal.
    Then maybe the authority finally makes work of a skating rink

Bart Swings got known to a large public by February 2013 [it’s about the time Slow Rider told me about him, I think or a bit later]. Aged barely 22 back then he was already good for a bronze medal on the Allround Worlds (all rankings together, ed), in Hamar, Norway. It was surprising from a student as civil engineer who had set foot to a skating ring for the first time only three years before.
    That medal has opened my eyes. I knew then that my great dream of a participation to the Olympics and contend for a medal there was possible.

Bart comes from inline skating. He claims that you use the same muscles for ice skating as for speed skating: most of all the upper legs and the thigh muscles but technically wise they are two different sports. When he made the switch to ice skating he mainly trained the technique. I didn’t wish to be an inline skater on the ring. Ice skating has to be nice. If your motion is not smooth you are losing time. Inline skating doesn’t need to be that perfect. Sometimes you may disappear a bit in the peloton. He was also surprised to see how fast he acquired that technique.

Inline skating has always been his sport. He only knew ice skating from TV. He dreamed to be World Champion inline skating and that prevailed in 2009. After that you need to extend your goals. You are dreaming of the Olympics, the ultimate achievement for every athlete but inline skating is no Olympic sport. If that was the case he would never have made the switch.

*nl Koen Verweij was a major opponent of his in inline skating. He’s a year older but Bart beat him quite often. All of a sudden he saw him come up at the Dutch ice skating nats and he was straight in contention for wins. So Bart thought that he should also have given it a try. In February 2010 he trained for a fortnight or so in Heerenveen and that suited him really well. He felt like he made very fast progress.

Bart fears that in Belgium there are “no scouts” for skating [sorry for the literal translation, I guess it means they don’t give a damn, lol]. In other countries you can see that inline skating talent are picked but Belgium does not even have an official 400m skating rink, so where should you train? If you are a Belgian pro, you either need to go to the Netherlands or to Germany. He was lucky about the fact that his brother Maarten and two other guys also made the switch. Otherwise it would have been alone.

Bart knows that it’s being discussed at the Parliament of the “Flemish” region but that was already a few years ago. He fears that this will have no follow up and that Belgium does not have a skating culture like the Netherlands have. Maybe he should be Olympic champion first. Ice skating could nonetheless be a very popular sport in Belgium. If it freezes then the ditches are full of skaters.
    Inline skating has now become a prep for the winter for him. He’s got 11 World titles in that sport. That’s why I pulled out of the worlds this year becomes it didn’t fit with his timetable but he does keep inline skating. He’s also glad that thanks to his performances in ice-skating that sport gets more attention.

Last Belgian to win an Olympic medal was Bart Veldkamp in Nagano 1998. What isn’t said in the interview is that he was a Dutchman who turned Belgian.

In Sochi 2014 Bart was 4th at the 5,000m and 5th at the 10,000m. That’s why he knows that 4 years later a medal should be the minimum (he was aged 23 in Sochi, I think). He’s got 4 chances: the 1,500m, the 5,000m, the 10,000m and the mass start. The latter is something new. He thinks he can make the most of his inline skating technique in that one.   

This season the aim is a medal at the Worlds in February.

Beating Sven Kramer is not impossible even though he would rather do it next year (laughs). His main quality is that he can keep the same motive the whole race long. He handles that technique so well. He never has a lesser moment. You know in what time he will finish. That’s how he puts a lot of pressure on the opponents. I still need to handle it better.

In order to prepare for Sochi he did a crowdfunding. Bart Veldkamp said about that in Humo that he had become a Dutchman.

Bart says he may have followed the Dutch trajectory but he would not turn Dutch. Then he would have to race qualification races in order to take part in key events. As a Belgian he can comfortably prepare. This crowdfunding was really important though. Thanks to that the team Stressless could be founded, for whom he competed for three years.

Bart is now financially supported by BLOSO (which is the administrative dpt of the Flemish region to promote sport) and the Belgian Olympic committee. He always trained with his brother Maarten as much on the rink as in inline skating but last year he stopped his career.

The journalist says he sounds quiet. Bart says that he can celebrate after a win and be disappointed after a loss but that does not last long. I very quickly focus on the next objective. If he becomes Olympic or World Champion, you won’t see him cry. He tries to approach the sport as scientifically as possible. That might have something to do with his studies as a civil engineer, he says. “What I learn I take along. The field of aerodynamics for instance. He wants to know why an outfit is manufactured in a particular way. Even though until after the Olympics, those studies are on a lower burner.

As a child my idol was Sven Nys, as much on the field as off it.

Today I have great admiration for … Sven Nys (laughs). And Tom Boonen. A beautiful athlete. He’s there when he needs to and he can relativise.

His greatest sport moment was the 4th place at the Olympics in Sochi
    His biggest disappointment was the season after the Olympics when he tried out new technique but never could find his turn.

------

Slow Rider, are you here?  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 18:13 »
    Heheh of course I'm here ;)

Swings did well enough, and it's good to have a Belgian competing for the podiums. He definitely has a chance. At the 10,000m it's basically down to who gets third behind Kramer and Bergsma, because Swings nor anyone else can beat those two. 5,000 is a similar situation, although Bergsma might be beatable there. 1,500m is difficult: it is the most competitive distance, which a lot of riders could win. The mass start, finally, is a bit of a lottery. Well possible Swings can win or podium there, but many could.

At the moment though in the speed skating world it's all about Kramer who seems to be in imperious form again. Winning the 5,000m is normal, but he's now regaining his 10,000m throne from Bergsma while also winning 1,500m races. He is looking better than I've seen him in years - which is great for the Dutch chances at the Olympics next year.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 18:23 »
    Bart Swings took the Bronze Medal at the European Championship allround at the Thialf-stadion in Heerenveen. He was front page of the Metro along with Wout Van Aert (Dutch-speaking version, French-speaking one did not even evoke his performance!!!)

Swings started poorly, only 15th at the 500m (I guess it has to be his least favourite distance!) but could add up for the lost time on the 5,000m in which he finished 5th and that's how he was 6th at the GC. Everything was possible back then since his favourite distances were yet to come: 1,500m and 10,000m. He was 5th again at the 1,500m whereby he moved up one place in the GC and then on the 10,000 he was third to the invincible Sven Kramer and felow Dutchman Jan Blokhuijsen. Yet the Euro weren't an aim in itself for Swings who did a skeeler training session in Portugal and only last week resumed training on the ice. The Worlds will be his major goal in Gangneun, South Korea.

Among the women Jelena Peeters only landed on a 13th place. The title was for Dutchwoman Ireen Wüst who equalled Matina Sablikova with 5 European titles.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1313
    « Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 21:31 »
    ..... The Worlds will be his major goal in Gangneun, South Korea.

Skating, Gangneun style!  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 21:58 »
    Swings did ok, but doesn't really seem to have improved much since last year. He's a decent allrounder, but got lucky Pedersen inexplicably collapsed in the 10k, which gave Swings a podium he probably wasn't counting on any more. Swings will have to improve if he wants to compete for the medals at the Olympics. Right now I can't see him win anything more than maybe a third place on the 5k - if he's lucky.

I was at Thialf last week for the Dutch distance championships, also to support a friend who was competing. Unfortunately he fell a bit short of finishing on the podium, but it was nice to watch the race live - the new Thialf stadium looks great too.
  • ReplyReply

•