collapse

Poll

Who should win BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014?

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2029
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 22:32 »
:fanfare
Wiggins wins..

He may be an idiot at times, but what he achieved this year was for a British athlete pretty unbelievable

And Farah not even in the top 3  :fp  :'(

Speech was painful, awful jokes to cover up obvious nervousness :fp
Also Murray is in Miami and he gets his award presented by a drunk Lennox Lewis in front of a swimming pool. Lewis gets lost in his daydreams and so Murray has to present the award to himself..  ;D

1. Wiggins
2. Ennis
3. Murray
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 22:34 »
    Ah, it is sad that it would come to that and I would have thought that after the Olympics he would have been fully integrated

Have you seen the hate against Froome? Though i suppose some of that is because they are sexist against his gf but a lot of that is because they dont see him as british.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04 »
    Really happy to see Brailsford win coach of the year. :pray

Whatever some obscure people over on the other side may say.. the fact is that his success is close to unparalleled in current sport and is actually rather ridiculous when considering it in context.

If only he was a coach! Why isn't it "manager of the year" (given football bosses are managers)?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 02:55 »
    Colin Montgomerie won it in 2010 ahead of Flower, and he was captain. It is a joke of an award.

Now a whole chat show going on..
    The whole thing blown out of all proportions..

Ryder Cup-winning Europe player Ian Poulter: Now why is that particular athlete not one of the nominees..
    One tournament win all year. Great in the Ryder cup and winning the Shanghai WGC, but he's not even near the best golfer of the year..... a pointer would be the Euro and American Orders of Merit.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 03:18 »
    Colin Montgomerie won it in 2010 ahead of Flower, and he was captain. It is a joke of an award.

Figurehead of the year?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 03:52 »
    And tit-ular head of the year... That's what the Americans said.

Incidentally, that's also what Hugh Grant said of Monty's missus.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48 »
    I have thought Wiggo was the only contender since they announced the nominations. Yes, Mo Farah had a spectacular Olympics, is generally brilliant in person and sends all sorts of social messages... Yes, Jess Ennis was the "face of the games" (and in that dress last night was the "body of Sports Personality"  :-*) and dealt with the pressure of a nation to deliver in the most spectacular way possible... Yes, David Weir, Ellie Simmonds and Sarah Storey have fantastic stories of achievement and adversity...

But Bradley Wiggins - with the help of a supremely talented team - dominated one of the most physically demanding sports on the planet for the majority of a season and claimed two of its biggest prizes. He did this all while being an individual, speaking his mind and making a fantastically honest (and funny) acceptance speech on the podium in Paris.

Besides which - there might have been 80,000 in the Olympic Stadium doing the Mo-Bot, but there were close to a million people lining the roads of London and Surrey for the road race and time trial, many many of whom were wearing ridiculous fake sideburns!

Here are the final vote counts, for those who are interested:

Total votes: 1,626,718
    1. Bradley Wiggins 492,064 (30.25%)
    2. Jessica Ennis 372,765 (22.92%)
    3. Andy Murray 230,444 (14.17%)
    4. Mo Farah 131,327 (8.07%)
    5. David Weir 114,633 (7.05%)
    6. Ellie Simmonds 102,894 (6.33%)
    7. Sir Chris Hoy 42,961 (2.64%)
    8. Nicola Adams 35,560 (2.19%)
    9. Ben Ainslie 35,373 (2.17%)
    10. Rory McIlroy 29,729 (1.83%)
    11. Katherine Grainger 28,626 (1.76%)
    12. Sarah Storey 10,342 (0.64%)

And here's an interesting statistic... last year, only one nominee (Cav) got more than 46,000 votes. This year, SIX - half of the nominees - got in excess of 100,000 votes. It was a great way to conclude a fantastic year of British sport </patriotism>

PS - if anyone can get hold of the video of Brad playing The Jam's 'That's Entertainment' after the BBC went off air, it's well worth a watch!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

ram

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15 »
    Adams got eighth for winning gold in the weakest of the Olympics' tournaments? More than Rory and Ainslie?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22 »
    Supposedly it took major grit to be able to become the first gold medal winner in her discipline. More so than say Joshua or any of those others who were up against much sterner opposition and probably had more pressure..

Rory's no show certainly did not help his chances though, but still a pathetic amount of votes for his accomplishements.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 12:27 »

Besides which - there might have been 80,000 in the Olympic Stadium doing the Mo-Bot, but there were close to a million people lining the roads of London and Surrey for the road race and time trial, many many of whom were wearing ridiculous fake sideburns!

Here are the final vote counts, for those who are interested:

PS - if anyone can get hold of the video of Brad playing The Jam's 'That's Entertainment' after the BBC went off air, it's well worth a watch!

Wiggins plays the guitar?

Btw the road race had.way more than a million spectators.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 12:38 »
    SPOTY was unwatchably bad telly.

really is a bbc circle jerk.

Peep show was brilliant
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 18:18 »
    ----------------Bump-------------------------------

2 Years lying dormant, but a bump is deserving for tonight's awards.

To be frank I haven't been so disinterested in a SPOTY for a long time. This year was truly a dismal year for British sport. I can't with a clear conscience vote for Hamilton, because winning a two man race is simply not enough to justify a SPOTY award. Rory Mcilroy is my clear winner and if he isn't the winner.. well I'll eat my hat.

The rest of shortlist barely deserves a mention. Yarnold and Bale are two good shouts if you hate F1 & Golf, but Bale is good but not amazing in my book.

Thoughts?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 18:18 »
    I've updated the poll to include voting for tonight's awards.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1275
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 18:26 »
    Jo Pavey for me.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 18:31 »
    I've got to give it to Joe.. she did pretty good winning that gold medal at her age. But it wasn't a major championship and it wasn't against the best competitors in the world. She is a lovely media story and did amazingly well considering the context but her achievement simply wasn't good enough.

Her omission from the full funding list highlights that, of course that list is based on Olympic potential two years down the line, something unlikely at her age but nevertheless it also provides a sense of perspective. And whilst there is the 'personality' in the title, at the end of the day the achievement is the main thing. (I can't  imagine the majority of voters really liked Andy Murray's personality last year).
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 262
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #45 on: December 14, 2014, 18:37 »
    Mcllroy for me
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 301
    « Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 23:43 »
    ----------------Bump-------------------------------

To be frank I haven't been so disinterested in a SPOTY for a long time. This year was truly a dismal year for British sport. I can't with a clear conscience vote for Hamilton, because winning a two man race is simply not enough to justify a SPOTY award. Rory Mcilroy is my clear winner and if he isn't the winner.. well I'll eat my hat.

The rest of shortlist barely deserves a mention. Yarnold and Bale are two good shouts if you hate F1 & Golf, but Bale is good but not amazing in my book.

Thoughts?

First time in years that I haven't been tempted to tune in, 10 person longlist is a disaster and embarassing to those token attendees who have no hope of winning.  Other awards on offer getting toe curlingly cringy.  Needs an overhaul, back to something far less flabby and self important.   :angry
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27 »
    SPOTY is unwatchable crap

BBC self aggrandisement+average sporting performances+minor, often unrecognisable celebrities=one of the worst tv shows of the year

Bale made the shortlist but wouldn't get in his club's 5-a-side team, Hamilton won for being the better of 2 drivers in formula 1
    outside of F1 there are probably no more niche sports out there than blind skiing and dressage (which accounts for 3 of the top 5

I didn't watch (not that anyone is interested, but I watched The Fall, which is great, and MOTD from Saturday which is great so the BBC does do some stuff well
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1978
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 14:09 »
    Year by year, this seems to become more a showcase for pretentious BBC producers making short films as auditions for a career in advertising.  The Lewis Hamilton season recap was like a bad after-shave advert, and an affront to the Jim Croce song inexplicably chosen as a backing track.

I can't say that I've ever liked Hamilton, or F1, greatly: I can only hope that his win against the odds yesterday is not due to the horrible and grossly inappropriate gimmicks of bringing his dog to an award ceremony, responding to an opening question from an interviewer as though he were fronting the Rolling Stones on a stadium tour, or that Austin Powers jacket.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 14:19 »
    Rory must be wondering what he has to do to win the thing..
    Really disappointing result, but the primary advantage for Hamilton was probably that his victory is fresh in people's minds, whilst Mcilroy's triumphs came earlier in the year. Also the money and glitz of F1, may push it more into the public eye than the ol' game of Golf.

I mean he won  by a substantial amount as well, nearly doubt Rory's votes.. I simply don't get it. And Pavey wasn't far off Rory either. I sometimes wonder what the British public ever stop and think for a moment. :fp  :Sleepy:

Lewis Hamilton - F1 - 209,920
    Rory McIlroy - golf - 123,745
    Jo Pavey - athletics - 99,913
  • ReplyReply

•