collapse

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 841
  • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
Foreign
« on: December 03, 2012, 00:10 »
Brasil

Cuba

Italia

Mexico

Rules

1 No eurovision crap ;)

2 No rap crap.

3 Songs have to be / have been very famous in the country. Not just number 1 hits ( if they were but with a lasting impact and patriotic identification
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:32 by The Hitch »
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Re: Foreign
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 00:15 »
    Holland, the home of Happy Hardcore? Hell yes. ;D

Ruben van der Meer as Hakkuhbar. :win

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 00:57 »
    Holland, the home of Happy Hardcore? Hell yes. ;D

Ruben van der Meer as Hakkuhbar. :win

Spoiler (hover to show)

Somehow i think that song might fail rule 3 ;)

Post Merge: December 03, 2012, 00:58
    Deutchland

• ReplyReply

• Il Grillo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32 »
    Some famous Belgian songs:

Belgium. And New Zealand I guess.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:49 by Il Grillo »

The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:23 »
    Some famous Belgian songs:

Belgium. And New Zealand I guess.

Rule 2.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:51 »
    Byop i don't think any of yours meet any of the rules.

Btw for Scotland id go with the pretenders
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:44 »
    Canada

I'll stay within the rules by selecting very popular songs, just ones that I still like. No Rush though, fantastic but too obvious.

Gordon Lightfoot is, was, and always will be brilliant. A classic Canadian song to honour American men who died in shared waters.

The Tragically Hip at their best. 16 years pre Katrina, by the way. Around the time I finished high school everybody was playing Up to Here.

• ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 15:12 »
    Ukraine.

Volodymyr Ivasyuk. The cult Ukrainian composer and songwriter/poet from the 70th. Was murdered by the Soviet government in 1977 in the age of 30 (in their ‘official’ version it was listed as ‘suicide’) and after his funeral - here in L’viv - turned into the protest action his songs were forbidden until the fall of ussr. Although usually performed by other musicians his songs fit the rules of this thread perfectly, especially regarding of the lasting impact and patriotic identification (even though these are love songs) and of course it has nothing to do with eurovision/rap crap:

Volodymyr Ivasyuk – The song will be amongst us (lyrics and music by Volodymyr Ivasyuk)

Taras Chubay – Waterfall (lyrics and music by Volodymyr Ivasyuk)

Songs associated with my home city:

Pikkardiyska Tertsiya – The old tram (Ukrainian song)

Włóczęgi – Only in Lviv (Polish song)

• ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 23:16 »
    Canada

I'll stay within the rules by selecting very popular songs, just ones that I still like. No Rush though, fantastic but too obvious.
    I'll gladly abide by those conditions. Just can't decide which version of this song I prefer.

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8846
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 23:25 »
    I like neither of your rules, hitch - is there any special reasoning behind there? Especially the "must be very famous"-rule does not make any sense from my point of view (if it's supposed to be about good music). Also limiting it to special genres is quite blinkered I think
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11 »
    I like neither of your rules, hitch - is there any special reasoning behind there? Especially the "must be very famous"-rule does not make any sense from my point of view (if it's supposed to be about good music). Also limiting it to special genres is quite blinkered I think

Im not limiting it to genres, you can post any genre you want. I only said no rap because this is the music section and i dont consider rap to be  music.

As for being famous, the reasoning behind this, is I wanted to find/remind myself of music one may have already heard, and also search out the songs which countries identify themselves with.

Also when i meet a person from that country knowing a well known song is a good conversation starter eg with higher iq brazilians Ipanema or lower iq brazilians Ai se eu te pegu

But since noone is playing by the rules, go ahead, post away whatever non english language song tickles your fancy, but i will give thank yous to nominations which do match the rules.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:15 »
    Greece

well yes but for Ingerland not greece.

Also I fear these days most Poles will not recognize Chopin :(
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:18 »
    For Canada i would go this

and for Greece

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01 »
    Im not limiting it to genres, you can post any genre you want. I only said no rap because this is the music section and i dont consider rap to be  music.

As for being famous, the reasoning behind this, is I wanted to find/remind myself of music one may have already heard, and also search out the songs which countries identify themselves with.

Also when i meet a person from that country knowing a well known song is a good conversation starter eg with higher iq brazilians Ipanema or lower iq brazilians Ai se eu te pegu

sorry Hitch, somehow I try to understand your point of view, but music is something which comes from the heart. By leaving out certain genres a priori and judging by famosity - or even going that far to limit the recognition of certain music to people's IQ - you just close your own mind to the beautiful experience of music
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 14:46 »
    sorry Hitch, somehow I try to understand your point of view, but music is something which comes from the heart. By leaving out certain genres a priori and judging by famosity - or even going that far to limit the recognition of certain music to people's IQ - you just close your own mind to the beautiful experience of music
    If yiu go that way then anything can count as music. i could burp and play it on a 3 minute loop and call it music.

To me for something to be music somebody needs to have taken the trouble to learn how to play a musical instrument and how to sing.

To use a computer and a talking voice because one hasnt taken the time to develop a musical talent nor ones.voice is to me a shortcut that cuts out the whole process. Its like somebody calling themself proffessor of chemistry because they watched breaking bad.

Btw my music- non music magiot line isnt as poorly created and fortified as you may think. There was an experiment on spiders some years back ( and spiders evolved audio sensors totally seperately to our own ears) where thry played different types of music to the arachnids. When classical music.was played the spiders.moved towards the speajers and built their webs next to or even on the speakers. When rap was played they not  only didnt move towards the speajers they actually moved away to the other side of the room.

Nature itself makes a very similar distinction between what is and is not music to myself. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10585
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 14:51 »
    I agree with Search fwiw

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 15:19 »
    I think you take a bit too much of the easy way by comdemning all music made using a computer. It takes a lot of skills and also musical talent to so it properly. I also would not regard the computer as the "instrument" itself, it's more like it's offering the possibility of combining different skills and ideas. I don't think you will find many (good) producers which are not extraordinary musicians and do not play at least the drums and/or piano.

Of course you could download an easy software solution and make a beat in a couple of minutes, but I could also buy myself a fiddle and record a track - it will end up equally bad
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 15:22 »
    I think you take a bit too much of the easy way by comdemning all music made using a computer. It takes a lot of skills and also musical talent to so it properly. I also would not regard the computer as the "instrument" itself, it's more like it's offering the possibility of combining different skills and ideas. I don't think you will find many (good) producers which are not extraordinary musicians and do not play at least the drums and/or piano.

Of course you could download an easy software solution and make a beat in a couple of minutes, but I could also buy myself a fiddle and record a track - it will end up equally bad

funny thing is most 4/4 electronic music is built on the same music make up as classical

so when they banned dance music gatherings in the UK the really also banned classic music events as well  ;D

• ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:47 »
    For Canada i would go this

I just got off the horn with CBSA - you are now banned from entering Canada. Bryan Adams is actually a pretty great talent (actually an even better photographer than songwriter), but that song was a cheese puff written for the charts and not from his heart.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1058
    « Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 18:13 »

Plastic only did play back on Ca plane pour moi. Song written and performed by Lou Deprijck:

From Brel, I love Amsterdam but perhaps unintentionally ripped off from Beethoven's Since Greybeards Inform Us :

Jacques Brel - Dans le port d'Amsterdam LIVE HQ

Other from Belgium's Bobbejaan Schoepen's ik heb me dikwijls afgevraagd, which he also performed in French: Je me suis souvent demandé (covered by French singer: Richard Anthony). He was the first Continental Euro to perform at the Grand Ole Opry.  ;)

Netherlands:

(could have brought some Golden Earring megahits here but I prefer favouring songs in national languages)

Spain: The great Triana  8)

Italy:

Ennio Morricone, of course

Banco del mutuo soccorso - Non mi rompete (prog rock forever)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 18:21 »

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1058
    « Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 18:37 »
    Twist & Shout is not a British song, it's an American one, first performed by the Isley Brothers and very close to Ritchie Valens' La Bamba, so Mexico.

Last one from Belgium that I quite like:

From Canada:

French-speaking Canadians:

From Ireland:

Dedicated to these 10 brave hunger strikers  :-[

As I roved out - Planxty 1979

From France:

And dedicated to one of the greatest ever ocean liners:

From Zimbabwe:

From Romania:

From Japan:

This might bring fun to your days, sure.  ;)

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 19:00 »
    Manu Dibango

Zimbabwe

10 cc- Dreadlock holiday, no?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 19:35 »
    Twist & Shout is not a British song, it's an American one, first performed by the Isley Brothers and very close to Ritchie Valens' La Bamba, so Mexico.

Last one from Belgium that I quite like:

From Canada:

French-speaking Canadians:

From Ireland:

Dedicated to these 10 brave hunger strikers  :-[

As I roved out - Planxty 1979

From France:

And dedicated to one of the greatest ever ocean liners:

From Zimbabwe:

From Romania:

From Japan:

This might bring fun to your days, sure.  ;)
    Dammit, now the Bandwidth Nazis will be on my back  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Il Grillo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    « Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 00:31 »

It's a cover, but better than the original.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 17:14 »
    Moar irish

• ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 17:35 »
    I love this version of fields of athenry

and any portuguese here can you translate  this

• ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 17:50 »

and any portuguese here can you translate  this

Its a sh*t song which means nothing.

1 verse repeated twice and a chorus about 10 times.
    Chrous - Your gonna kill me (metaphorical), oh if i get you oh if i get you.
    Then the verse goes - Im in a club and the girl walks past, shes beatuful,  so i talk to her.

Then again the chorus. Your gonna kill me, oh if i get you oh if i get you.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 18:09 »
    i like this one better :lol

My car is washed-clean already, the [car] stereo system is set up just right
    Everything is ready, come with me, ['cause] the sound here is first-rate
    Girl, don't be shy, jump in [the car] and celebrate
    Just ring me later, I'll love it, so let's go...

Honey, ring me, there's gonna be party tonight
    I want to enjoy it with you ['till] late in the night
    To dance and jump,
    Until the sun comes out

To dance and jump,
    Because tonight there's going to be

The "tche tchererere tche tcheche"
    Tcherere tche tche,
    Tcherere tche tche,
    Tchereretche
    Tche, tche, tche,
    Gustavo Lima and you

If you look at me, I'll want to touch you
    And next, to make out with you, to have fun

To dance and jump,
    Until the sun comes out

To dance and jump,

The "tche tchererere tche tcheche"
    Tcherere tche tche,
    Tcherere tche tche,
    Tchereretche
    Tche, tche, tche,
    Gustavo Lima and you
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4696
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34 »
    Brazil  *br

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianca_(cantora)

"Bianca ... was a singer Brazilian. With a fleeting career, was one of the phenomena of radio in the early '80s and became an icon of a generation of young post- military dictatorship ."

"The songs, which contained many slang fashion, as "pit", "face" and "crickets" were full of romanticism style Beatles and spicy with a touch of rebellion and existential crisis."

"Much has been speculated about the whereabouts of Bianca, who since the mid- 80s has completely disappeared from the music scene without a trace. The total anonymity of the singer gave rise to rumors in cyberspace about suicide and overdose of drugs ... However, nothing has been officially confirmed and the fate of the singer remains an intriguing mystery to his legion of fans and admirers."
  • ReplyReply

•