• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 18:12 by Fus87, Reason: edited thread title »
    "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    Re: Team Colombia Coldeportes on Punta Veleno
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 15:46 »
    Bring on Trentino! Pics of the climb look great, very eerie feel to it (could just be the fact that it's January).
  • ReplyReply

• Ryaguas

• WTF?
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 0
    • The Hitch's fan
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50 »
    Hey Gibo was with them! Maybe He was hired for motivational porpouses? and to give some advices?
    haha Chaves showing off a bit in the cameras, leaving everyone behind  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Inspired by Climbing
    Allez Contador

brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 20:49 »
    Video of the team on the climb. Dodgy soundtrack but good shots showing the steepness and narrowness of the road in places.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7398
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Team Colombia thread
    « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 18:27 »
    Having successfully wrestled it out of the Hands of Hades, I hereby declare this thread to be the official VR thread on #colombia Los Escarabajos.
    Without further ado, in medias res ...

This came up in my Twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/velofacts/status/575719158987505664
    My first thought was: "I wonder who that hopelessly distanced guy in 175th place is?"
    Checking the results, I found out it was #colombia Walter Pedraza.
    A rider I had long thought retired, and whose finest hour in European racing has so far been an 8th place in the Tour of Austria ... in 2008, riding for Tinkoff 1.0[1].

Before that, he'd been on the Silver Fox' #androni 'payroll' for two seasons, scarcely racing in *eu Europe (biggest races were *it Trentino and *fr Dunkerque).
    He's 33 by now, and has spent the last 4 years at #epm EPM-UNE, his best results in that period coming from the *co Vuelta a Colombia - hardly a race with the greatest prestige when it comes to proving your ability to compete in a Euro peloton.

The question that I am asking is: Why does someone like Pedraza get a pro contract with Corti when he's clearly well on his way to the glue factory?

Actually, it isn't hard to deduce why he got a contract.
    The question should be: Who does Pedraza know that has the power of sway to get him a pro contract with Corti?
    Spoiler (hover to show)
     1. That's so long ago we don't even have a kit smiley for the team!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 19:07 »
    http://www.colombiacyclingpro.com/four-new-signings-talent-and-experience-for-team-colombia/

2015 will mark Walter Pedraza’s comeback in top European cycling after his previous three-year stint from 2006 to 2008, when he raced for Diquigiovanni-Selle Italia and Tinkoff Credit Systems, and after becoming one of the most consistent and reliable climbers in Colombian cycling. A EPM-Une rider for the last four seasons, Pedraza helped Oscar Sevilla on the way to his successes in the last two editions on the Vuelta a Colombia, but also managed to win the Colombian National Road Championship – preceding Miguel Angel Rubiano in the winners’ list – and take 35 successes in 11 elite seasons.

[...]

Corti explained, – [...] About Pedraza, everybody knows his quality from his first European experience, but now he can prove a very reliable force for mountain routes, and is an integral part of our roster’s bolstering, particularly in a stage-race perspective”.

nobody said he was supposed to win time trials :P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 19:21 »
    You know, after some further consideration, I have to say that I spoke too soon.
    #colombia has the well-known and admirable policy of only taking in Colombian riders[1].

We all know there aren't that many cyclists in *co Colombia to begin with, and so many previous team members have been recklessly poached by more wealthy and far more unscrupulous teams that just don't conduct their business with the same level of professionalism as our beloved mountain-climbing beetles.
    #bmc Atapuma, #orica Chaves, #iam Pantano and #antioqueno Chalapud have left gaping holes in the #colombia roster, and Corti has once again performed a Herculean effort to spot the finest talents Colombia has to offer, and bring them to his squad.

For there is no other team that will pave those disadvantaged climbers the way to foreign countries and other pelotons of cycling than this team of Corti's.
    And he has certainly spared no expenses in order to take on the most promising talents to be found far and wide between Cartagena and Cauca.
    Spoiler (hover to show)
     1. well, unless you happen to be the team manager's offspring; that makes up both for the lack of an Andean upbringing, and being an even worse cyclist than Pedraza
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 16:29 »
    press rls in English:

Colombia-Coldeportes waves goodbye to the peloton

The Escarabajos will not be at the start of the 2016 season. Corti: “Feels bad, but we left a mark”

Due to the impossibility of its first backer, Colombia’s Sports Ministry “Coldeportes”, to confirm the necessary funding to continue the cycling activity at the highest level, Team Colombia-Coldeportes and its General Manager Claudio Corti regretfully announce that the only South-American Pro Continental team in cycling will not line up at the start of the 2016 season.

The road of the Escarabajos comes to an end after four years competing against the biggest names and teams in World cycling, in which Claudio Corti’s team brought the name of Colombia back on the scene, taking part to some of the biggest races in the World. In its four-year span, Team Colombia-Coldeportes participated in two Giro d’Italia, one Vuelta a Espana, four Giro di Lombardia, two Milano-Sanremo, one Liegi-Bastogne-Liegi, two Tirreno-Adriatico – to mention some of the most notable fixtures.

In four years, the team achieved eleven wins, launching on the big stage talented riders such as Esteban Chaves, Darwin Atapuma and Jarlinson Pantano, who are now established at the World Tour level, the top circuit in cycling. In the last season, the team confirmed all of its credentials as an aggressive and attacking team, winning the best climber’s jersey in no less than eight stage races.

“It obviously feels bad to see a cycle we had opened with enthusiasm and high hopes come to an end,” General Manager Claudio Corti said, “particularly after seasons in which the team had managed to earn big consideration from all the people in cycling. I will always regret to see this project close before bringing the Colombian flag back to the Tour de France, particularly as I think this goal was not very far away.“

“Team Colombia-Coldeportes was created to be more than just a cycling project,” Corti continued. “The significance of this team’s path should not be evaluated only on cycling results, but on the impact it had on the image of Colombia in sports and beyond, and the promotion of its identity, culture and tourism.”

“Colombian sport proved capable to compete at the highest level in the World of cycling, and that was the most important goal achieved by the Colombia-Coldeportes project. The way our team was welcomed by the Colombian sports fans all around the World is the biggest statement of what the team managed to do in four years.”

“Unfortunately, the final decision by Coldeportes was communicated to us only in the very last few days, meaning we could not proceed any further with the Union Cycliste Internationale, nor we could give a better opportunity to the whole team – riders, sports directors, staff and sponsors – that worked with us in the last year. My special thanks to Wilier, for backing us in these years with their top-level bikes. I sincerely wish to say a big “Thank You” to all those who took part and collaborated in this project , as well as to the President of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos and the Director of Coldeportes Andres Botero, who firmly believed in this project: without them, the return of a Colombian team to top-notch cycling would have never been possible,” Corti concluded.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 19:24 »
    Chalapud blames Corti to be responsible for the end of the team

https://twitter.com/robinsochalapud/status/654347697126797312
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 00:11 »
    Chalapud blames Corti to be responsible for the end of the team

https://twitter.com/robinsochalapud/status/654347697126797312

You know, this could be an opportunity for somebody of Chalapud's mindset, but with some team management experience, to go to the Coldesportes and say "Hey, let me run this operation for you instead of Corti." But I'm sure that is probably a pipe dream. Still . . . it could be an opportunity. And maybe this time they can get some Colombians on the mgmt squad. And not exhibit nepotism.

Corti should be an easy target to shoot at if a someone from Colombia decided to try and take up the reins.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 23:41 »
    some unnamed riders (so far - because they are still under contract and hope to get their money) spoke to @bicigoga about the situation in #colombia Team Colombia

(gt)

You might have children and wife or you might be single but still need to bring money home. Now they want us to give interviews to say what happened in the team, but until a few weeks ago we pointed more to us than to the directors of this project that I thought would prepare me for greater things in my career. How wrong I was.

I never wanted to have anything in my house for fear of hurting them with my problems, I did not want to be sick with sadness as he touched me. Maybe he would stay silent. We signed a contract with disadvantages because the illusion was larger.

The governing body contemptuously treated us, his eyes were all Indians. Yes, I think racism is a word that accompanied their attitudes toward us. Require normal things like the type of food they gave us in the race was a major offense. Overall counteract any form of directors was put on the cross on top. One could not approach with any situation because Claudio scolded out, in language that push us ended up on the floor.

What discrepancy! First they made sweet ear and went on to face with another reality. I am beginning because they told me a silver when they contacted me in Colombia and then left me I played almost half pay in taxes in a country they do not know the rules. Imagine Who would fit on the head that silver coming out of Colombia take her to Italy and taxes are paid there? A silver coming out of our pockets.

Upon arrival they had a home to live in with a fixed fee, 300 euros per head per month -the which drew directly from the check- in a house where they were 4. A companion thought of going to live somewhere else but when I wanted to talk to Claudio almost hit him and touched follow orders. If one took him almost the opposite was to become his enemy. For protesting things he did not like another partner they took bad faith. They made life more difficult and what we had.

They fought so that we asked time trial bikes to keep them at home and go out and train. These bikes not paid until the time we played run. So how can you perform in a specialty where few have experience?

Of us they do not understand until a day before a test run. If you were sick we ate well or nobody cared. Once a companion left him lying in the house three days with temperature and others in the race. Nobody cared about the health of us, the greatest treasure that has a professional cyclist. Some of the delicate state of health had to pay their medical expenses and not to mention that it reimbursed. The medical doctor but no good coach and take care of our nutrition was the least of his worries. As we were alone because it had to do everything and when we returned to train so tired really do not eat well. In addition to delayed payments we never had enough money for basics. Many times we had to eat only rice and lentils because we did not reach for anything else.

As we complained they sent some of the most malucas skills, about where our profile is not fit to do anything. I do not know how they chose payroll, many thought they did "to handpick" or according to how the directors will we fall.

Sick or have an injury was a mortal sin. We flatly said "better resign." To put it another one being run in appalling health conditions and did not care. If one said he had an injury we were told that we were spoiled and we needed our mother. But if you asked for time to recover from an injury they threatened us that if we returned home we ran and we canceled the contract. And worse was the tone. Yes there were psychologists here but to make one feel bad. We knew we came to even put in wrong with managers from other teams, saying that we were lazy and unprofessional, challenging our capacity and creating us bad reputation.

If they were ever ex-racers are not allowed noticed anywhere experience. Nearly all races in which I had to compete we were without morals, without desire. We did not speak to motivation, normal was always "to do what it could." A fellow who climbed once they scolded leakage because the alleged strategy was just to wheel and wait for the end. Not when we were doing well at something telling us that we had done a good job.

I sometimes felt hopeless and no one around who count. The truth is that I think my years here I lost a sporting level but bitter experience helped me to mature and learn to value what I have and what I am. What more rage gave us was having to go fears to go talk to the Headmaster because you never knew what was going to leave.

Believe me being there were days when I wondered if I was serving for cyclist. At some point many thought about quitting, but then we found out that our places had money and were paying to get us out of the team and get to another. So one took hold, one is bored wanted to force us to give up. This concern took away our dream. We lived stressed and worried all the time about it. I think some diseases that had origin in psychological pressure.

If anyone could assist him a mate in greatest need of money he did, but the salary is not a new story. All I hope is that silver this year will not be missed.

I want to enjoy cycling as when not running on this computer. Now I look for in an opportunity in Colombia to return to his old self, reaching my best and prove that what happened here was just a setback. Neither we ourselves know how we could endure what we live

** This account is based on conversations with some of the team members. Other brokers have their own version and make it public when they see fit. We reserve the right to protect sources **

http://www.espn.com.mx/blogs/index?entryID=2502016&name=georgina_ruiz_sandoval
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 19:56 »
    You know, this could be an opportunity for somebody of Chalapud's mindset, but with some team management experience, to go to the Coldesportes and say "Hey, let me run this operation for you instead of Corti."
    Wait and see ... Maybe.

I never understood why the *co authorities shifted their money from Colombia es Pasión-Café de Colombia (PCT in 2011) to Corti's Colombia team (PCT from 2012 onwards). 9 of 16 riders were the same[1], of the new signings only Fabio Duarte and Juan Pablo Suárez (plus 2012 stagiaire Carlos Quintero) were any good - and Suárez promptly stopped being good.

The old team had a Colombian management & staff, the new was all-Italian. As far as I can see the government mugwumps responsible for allocating the money were wowed by Corti's talk of GT wildcards as well as his DS "palmarès" that include Soler's #kom jersey and dropped the Colombian staff like a hot potato.
    Now that Corti is exposed as the incompetent fool he is, maybe the government will put money into a truly Colombian team. But as politics (governmental and provincial) are notoriously involved in Colombian cycling (and not in a good way), it may be for the better that said Colombian management has now found a strong corporate sponsor in Postobón and not as dependent on government money anymore.
     1. if you count 2011 stagiaire Michael Rodríguez Galindo
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 13:50 by LukasCPH »

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 20:12 »
    Sounds like Corti took the money and cut corners where possible to maximise his slice of the pie, sadly nothing new in cycling. Riders are the ones sacrificed!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 20:42 »
    Sounds like Corti took the money and cut corners where possible to maximise his slice of the pie, sadly nothing new in cycling. Riders are the ones sacrificed!
    300 € per rider per month for staying in the (mandatory) "team housing" ... almost 60.000 € into the landlord's account.[1] And that's without having done anything at all.

I wonder how other non-European squads' team houses are paid for - directly out of the team budget (as it should be in my mind), or by the riders themselves?
     1. assuming they pay for all 12 months of the year
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 21:49 »
    300 € per rider per month for staying in the (mandatory) "team housing" ... almost 60.000 € into the landlord's account.[1] And that's without having done anything at all.

I wonder how other non-European squads' team houses are paid for - directly out of the team budget (as it should be in my mind), or by the riders themselves?
     1. assuming they pay for all 12 months of the year

The Aqua&Sapone team HQ in Dragonara, Italy, I used to pass it regularly, was just a big bike shop owned by Masciarelli, but it had all these small apartments upstairs, no doubt for riders...........I guess Masciarelli charged riders to stay!

I think most riders nowadays are 'self employed' and sort out their own accom/tax/etc etc . The bigger paid riders set up in tax havens. Monaco, Lux or in Switzerland.

Anyway that the Colombian team appears to be gone, sucks. With better management they probably would've done better.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 22:43 »
    to be fair, 300 Euro a month doesn't sound like a rip-off to me. Every normal employee has to pay for his flat as well.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 23:39 »
    to be fair, 300 Euro a month doesn't sound like a rip-off to me.
    300 per person for a flat used by four riders. So 1200 in total. Plus the flat/house/whatever they have for themselves/their family in Colombia.

Every normal employee has to pay for his flat as well.
    True. But no normal employee is housed in accommodation provided by his employee, and paid directly from his wages, before he even gets his paycheck.

That's the "business" model of dodgy Niedersachsen slaughterhouses relying on Romanian or Ukrainian workers, or of sugar/coffee/tobacco plantations after the abolition of slavery, using "contracted workers" instead.
    We don't need any of that in cycling!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 23:46 »
    That's the "business" model of dodgy Niedersachsen slaughterhouses relying on Romanian or Ukrainian workers, or of sugar/coffee/tobacco plantations after the abolition of slavery, using "contracted workers" instead.

yes. They have to pay more though, especially now that there's a minimum wage ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by LukasCPH
    [Today at 16:48]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [Today at 12:44]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly