collapse

Zam

• everything and nothing.
  • Classics Winner
  • Liked: 485
Spanking by the Lions. Oh well, it's four countries against one.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    :woohoo 

Guess Gatland knew what he was doing after all.  Great performance by Wales *ahem* the Lions, sorry.  Deans to be looking for a new job soon I guess.  Fantastic performance by the Lions (the snippets I saw at least) - 41-16 is a good old fashioned shellacking

• ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    :woohoo 

Guess Gatland knew what he was doing after all.  Great performance by Wales *ahem* the Lions, sorry.  Deans to be looking for a new job soon I guess.  Fantastic performance by the Lions (the snippets I saw at least) - 41-16 is a good old fashioned shellacking
    Great result for the Lions. I think it shows just how crucial referees are: two Southern Hemisphere refs and it's very tight between the two sides, one NH one and it's a steamroller. Ben Alexander falls on his face in every scrum in the 2nd test and for some reason Vunipola is penalised; he does the same in the 3rd but this time is sin binned and then quickly subbed.

As for Gatland's picks, he got more right than wrong: Felatau was excellent, Hibbard rewarded Gatland with decent line outs and the centres had a great game. On the negative side, It was no surprise to see Mike Philips subbed and I'm not sure that he got 6 & 7 right, but he got the job done and that's the important thing.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Dunno that it was about the Ref'ing ... just that the Aussies played like sh*t.

Well done by the Lions though.  There certainly wasnt any question about who was the better team
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3026
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Great result for the Lions. I think it shows just how crucial referees are: two Southern Hemisphere refs and it's very tight between the two sides, one NH one and it's a steamroller. Ben Alexander falls on his face in every scrum in the 2nd test and for some reason Vunipola is penalised; he does the same in the 3rd but this time is sin binned and then quickly subbed.

This
    Romain Poite tends to one of the better scrummaging refs, if such a person exists.
    He got it right, whereas Joubert, the week before, didn't.

The scrum is a mess; a penalty minefield determining far too many match results.

Anyhow, I'm glad that the score was one sided, as it removes any bitterness from the
    interpretation of the laws debate.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

z-tech

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 11

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    Re: Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
    « Reply #156 on: February 23, 2014, 13:57 »
    The 6 Nations is at the halfway point and with 18 months to go before the world cup, sides need to be in good shape and roughly sure who most of their starting 15 will be come the start of the competition.

Worst off is Scotland. Although they won in Italy yesterday, they have an absence of world class players, particularly at 9 & 10, and no great areas of strength. And amazingly, given how few good players they have, they seem to have no idea who they are. There would be little justification in selecting a single Scottish player from that Italy game for any of the English, French, Irish or Welsh teams.

The Italians are in a strange position in that they have an excellent tight 5 which picks itself, plus Parisse who is world class. I've always liked Zanni too but he seems out of form/favour. The trouble is that outside the pack, they've got no-one. Previous coaches played to Italy's strengths and a nine man game but you can beat poor sides like that, even decent sides on a bad day, but never good sides. The current coach is trying to develop a more rounded game and hopefully this will bear fruit in time.

France are in a bit of a state, it's anyone's guess who will line up next year. They have some wonderful backs but the pack isn't giving them the platform and 9, 10 and 13 aren't helping to release them. They could turn it all around next year but I can't see it right now.

England are looking like they could challenge on home turf. There are issues though: inexperience in the backs, no real #7, Farrell still to grow up, Twelvetrees not looking the real deal, injury prone front row, and still a wing short. But these are all fixable and I wouldn't be surprised to see England as the biggest challenger to the SH teams especially as England is the only home nation to have any sort of record of beating SH teams.

Wales had an awful game against Ireland but came back well against France, they are good to very good in every position but, with the exception of George North, not great. They also have a horrible record against SH teams given how good they've been domestically.

Finally, the best of this year's bunch so far, Ireland. They lost an epic game away to England but only narrowly. They look very strong up front and their new coach seems to have re-ignited them. The biggest worry for them is the lack of centres next year with BO'D retiring and Gordon D'arcy eligible for his free bus pass, there doesn't  seem to be anyone grabbing their spots.

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Gotta feel for Pocock. Ruptured ACL last year, and now has to reconstruct it and loses another season. Nice win considering the circumstances for ACT.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Poite wasn't as bad as his horror Boks AB showing in the RC last year.

But thought that repeat offence for early push in the scrum was a penalty (with first offence being free kick), not a sin bin. England well superior though and twas a sublime through ball by Twelvetrees'
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    Gotta feel for Pocock. Ruptured ACL last year, and now has to reconstruct it and loses another season. Nice win considering the circumstances for ACT.
    Luckily there are quite a few good flankers stepping up this season. When Pocock gets back he may be struggling just to win his spot back.

Luckily for me, the Waratahs are looking damn good this year! Forwards are looking strong and Beale and Folau are embarassing their opponents defence.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Saw them in the derby against the Reds, and that was a steamrolling. Couple of things I wondered, have the Waratahs finally found a proper role for Beale (on and off the field)? Also will Queensland struggle much with McKenzie's departure? Not that they've been too bad so far.

George Smith may well be back to the Brumbies with Pocock gone. Guess that's the upside to it. And Jake White still going strong. Very surprising how he isn't an international coach now really.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    So England win the triple crown for what thats worth - ie zilch.   Not bad though from England with a few players I'd barely heard of before like Newall etc given a go.  Just wish the English football team manager replicating the rugby management in going for form players not passed it guys with over 100 caps that never perform when it matters.

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    Poite wasn't as bad as his horror Boks AB showing in the RC last year.

But thought that repeat offence for early push in the scrum was a penalty (with first offence being free kick), not a sin bin. England well superior though and twas a sublime through ball by Twelvetrees'
    The offense was driving at 90 degrees from straight. It was quite interesting because Poite gave the penalty  to Wales at the first scrum but obviously something drew his attention to Gethin Jenkins' driving angle because later, Poite called Warburton over and warned him about it. The rest is history, but looking at the players' expressions I wonder whether Hibbard wasn't the problem. Who knows what goes on in there.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Have to watch it again. Gethin Jenkins clearly did turn the scrum, but thought it led from an early push.... In any case, he had a few infringements while scrummaging.

Mind, I don't like Poite... destroyed the RC last year with the Bismarck du Plessis red. So I'm not clouded at all.

As an apart, must be one of the most thankless tasks being a referee.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 464
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Nearly World Cup time, the three year wait since the draw was made is nearly over. Are we all ready..
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Interestingly enough... was just in South Africa and the Rugby World Cup fever there appears to be much greater than round these parts. I really haven't seem or heard much in England in the leadup, possibly one reason is due to the hard to come by nature of tickets and their price. My friend have to fork out £200 for a ticket..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Yeah got to agree it is still quiet where the WC is concerned even with warm up matches starting in a few days time. Most chat about  it I have seen is football sites.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Rugby! :D

Admittedly the World Cup is the only rugby I ever get to see. Mainly because rugby simply doesn't exist as a broadcasted sport in Denmark, but World Cup matches are somewhat easier to get by.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    My friend have to fork out £200 for a ticket..

If thats for Eng v Aus then its a bargin
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1664
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    It's not really got a massive following. It's only really played by Public Schools and Grammar Schools so is a bit elitest. It will never appeal to the masses rather like cycling. I may watch some of the England games but don't see much point unless they are against a top nation, still far too many 67-0 games for my liking.

• ReplyReply

• Murrjt

• A Brother
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 633
    Ive got tickets for Argentina vs Tonga in Leicester, I'm mildly excited.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3026
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    It's not really got a massive following. It's only really played by Public Schools and Grammar Schools so is a bit elitest. It will never appeal to the masses rather like cycling. I may watch some of the England games but don't see much point unless they are against a top nation, still far too many 67-0 games for my liking.

Not where I come from, pal.
    Rugby played in all secondary schools. Used to be compulsory, unlike football.
    Dragon rugby in junior schools.
    I don't think anybody will be calling us lot elitist anytime soon. :D

Hopefully our George can get through this WC without another concussion.
    He's got a big wedding to attend at the start of October, mid tournament, when a certain Sky rider ties the knot. :shh ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Not where I come from, pal.
    Rugby played in all secondary schools. Used to be compulsory, unlike football.
    Dragon rugby in junior schools.
    I don't think anybody will be calling us lot elitist anytime soon. :D
    You're Welsh. I imagine the rugby culture is very different in Wales, Ireland and Scotland than in England. Even different from Northern England to Southern England.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1664
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Oh sh*t, are you Welsh? I was starting to quite like you too.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #174 on: September 16, 2015, 07:37 »
    Can't wait for the WC to start, Pool A is going to be nuts. RSA vs. Samoa should be a ripper, you just know that will be a great display of good, clean, wholesome, sportsmanlike Rugby :D

Eng vs. Fiji should be brutal too, you just know that the Fijians will go out with everything they've got. I must confess I love watching big forward packs mash each other up :lol
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #175 on: September 16, 2015, 12:47 »
    Buzzing about the RWC. going to NZ vs Arg, and then a few more after that.

great sport, great event

hope england don't butcher their chances!
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #176 on: September 16, 2015, 13:58 »
    Hopefully its broadcasted in the Netherlands so I can actually watch some without havign to resort to illegal streams :)
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #177 on: September 16, 2015, 16:30 »
    Can't wait for the opening weekend. Suspect England will start slowly as always.

Then going to France v Italy at Twickenham, should be an entertaining game!
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #178 on: September 16, 2015, 17:42 »
    Confident of Ireland reaching at least the semis this year.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #179 on: September 17, 2015, 03:51 »
    Buzzing about the RWC. going to NZ vs Arg, and then a few more after that.

great sport, great event

hope england don't butcher their chances!
    All Blacks vs. Pumas should be good, really good. Argentina has certainly improved since joining Aus, NZ and RSA in the Rugby Championship. They should be the best after the main 5 (NZ, RSA, Aus, Eng, France) and may even upset one of them.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts